Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mousedroid-Hoojib's non-SW customs
F F U R G > Your Customs > Miscellaneous Customs
Pages: 1, 2
Mousedroid-Hoojib
For something a little different, I thought that I would try doing a custom figure from outside of the SW universe who could probably fit into it without any trouble - Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly and Serenity. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see him sitting in a cantina on Tatooine looking for work that puts him at odds with the Empire.

Recipe:

* Mal from the Dark Horse Serenity PVC set (for the head)
* TAC Jango Fett (for the chest and arms and part of the pistol)
* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard (for the waist and legs)
* Hasbro ROTLA Indiana Jones (for the belt - made from the strap of his satchel - and part of the pistol)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Kommando Khaki", "Red Gore", "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Scorched Brown", "Brown Ink", "Boltgun Metal")

I'm really happy with how this guy came out, although the Browncoat itself could probably be a little bit better. I'm not quite sure how I could improve on it at my current skill level though.

And just for fun:

"I aim to misbehave"

tonphanan
Did you keep the neck post from the Jango and place the head over it? Checkout http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=3617 on some tips of converting a head to fit a post. If a PVC has a hollow head then putty filler might be needed.

I like the jacket and the design of the whole figure. The only other option I can think of for a jacket would be dyeing an Endor Han/Trooper cloth jacket.
pbarny
QUOTE (tonphanan @ Feb 28 2011, 08:58 PM) *
I like the jacket and the design of the whole figure. The only other option I can think of for a jacket would be dyeing an Endor Han/Trooper cloth jacket.

Take Esther's pattern for Jedi robes, don't add a hood. It is how I created my Holi-droids and holi-Vader. Sewing machine...definitely sewing machine. I may buy one for my wife just for the manufacturing of jedi robes, but she thinks it is to hem pants for the baby as he grows. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dry.gif
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Thanks for the replies, tonphanan and pbarny.

I'm still not quite confident enough to be using power tools on 3.75" figures just yet, so I cheated a bit with this particular head in that I cut the ball off of Jango's neck, drilled a tiny hole into the stub that was left, fed some picture wire into it, then matched the (non-hollow) PVC head up against the neck, drilled a corresponding hole into it and pushed it all together. There is still sideways movement - and a tiny bit of up/down - so articulation wasn't overly sacrificed, plus it doesn't look too bad all things considered.

No doubt I will attempt hollowing out figure heads in future so thanks for the link.
pbarny
Hollowing heads is probably the most basic "power tool" procedure you use. You don't even need a dremmel. I use taped drill bits. The tape acts as a stop and you can step up from really tiny bits to ones approaching your peg/post. Takes a lot of the guess work out of dremmeling (although it can't be avoided for something things like head casts).
Mousedroid-Hoojib
I had so much fun making Cap'n Tightpants as seen above that I thought that I might have a go at trying another character from outside of the SW universe who could almost fit right into it (particularly if you think that The Force is the SW universe equivalent of magic in the DC Universe) - Zatanna Zatara:

Recipe:

* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire body)
* TLC Breha Organa (for the head)
* TLC Jes Gistang (for the hands)
* POTJ Bespin Guard (for the baton)
* some household plastic (for the hat)
* some modelling clay (for the hair and boots)
* some material (who knew that old, frayed socks could be used for fishnet stockings on 3.75" figures?)
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Dark Flesh")

I'm reasonably happy with how she has come out, although the boots might be a touch overpowering. Maybe I should have gone with the classic high-heeled shoes look rather than the knee-high boots as currently appear in the comics.

And given I had been designing vintage style Kenner cardbacks for my custom SW figures, I felt it only appropriate to try designing a vintage style Kenner cardback for this custom non-SW figure:

"stenhsif s'annataZ fo rewop eht tsiser nac eno on"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Following on from Zatanna, here is Wonder Woman in her new outfit:

Recipe:

* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire figure, sans hair)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Red Gore", "Chaos Black", "Shining Gold")

I am happy with how she came out - I just wish that I could have gotten the detail on her corset to work better than it did (thread didn't show up very well; paint came out a bit splotchy; and metallic ink faded through the material).

"The Force is insignificant compared to the power of plunging necklines and spray-on pants"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Continuing the theme of DC Comics superheroines, here is Supergirl in her classic mid-70s to early-80s hotpants-and-plunging-neckline costume:

Recipe:

* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the body, sans head)
* Hasbro GI Joe Rise Of Cobra Cover Girl (for the head, sans hair)
* Mattel DC Infinite Heroes Qwardian Weaponer (for the belt)
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Bubonic Brown")

Excepting that the plunging neckline is a little too plunging (and she perhaps has a chest more fitting of Power Girl than Supergirl) and her footwear looks more like Ugg boots or fluffy socks than the reference material, I think that this came out okay. From certain angles, the figure even kind of looks like how it might have if it really were released in the vintage Super Powers line (as it was rumoured it was supposed to if a) the line continued past 1986 and 2) Kara Zor-El wasn't killed in Crisis On Infinite Earths).

Supergirl continues her cousin's fight for truth and justice... just in more revealing costumes.

clonecommander972
holy boobjob, batman! ph34r.gif
impressive work with the softgoods as always, haha
got plans for any more DC heroines? i was actually working on trying to make Arisa from green lantern myself, haha
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Thanks for the comment, clonecommander972.

I do indeed have plans for more DC heroines. I would quite like to do custom Miss Martian, Lady Blackhawk (and potentially the rest of the Birds of Prey) and my personal favourite character, Power Girl, figures at some point in the not too distant future. I'm a little reluctant to rush into creating PG given how much I adore the character - I wouldn't want to not do justice to the costume!

I think that an Arisia would be something that shouldn't be overly hard to do, but I hadn't really given much thought to trying to customise her myself. DC Direct did release a Blackest Night version of her in 6" scale fairly recently.
pbarny
The pink hurts my eyes. As SgtHumpty what his little girl thinks of pink...Also has another problem, can't tell where the flesh of her boobs begin and her cape are. Cut of the costume is near perfect just the 70s/80s color scheme is well the 70s/80s color scheme.
Mousedroid-Hoojib
For many of us who grew up in the late 70s/early 80s, if your first crush wasn't Princess Leia, it was likely Col. Wilma Deering, Lt. Sheba or the subject of this particular custom, Athena, as she appeared in "The Lost Planet Of The Gods" in the original Battlestar Galactica:

Recipe:

* TLC Princess Leia (for the head, sans hair)
* TLC Breha Organa (for the chest, arms and left hand)
* TLC Juno Eclipse (for the legs and right hand)
* POTF2 Greedo (for the gun)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the machine gun, which became the PAD on the leg and the ammunition on the belt)
* ROTS Clone Trooper (for the device on the belt)
* some wire (for the belt buckle and to provide the basis of the helmet)
* some elastic
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Kommando Khaki", "Scorched Brown", "Chaos Black", "Shining Gold", "Mithril Silver", "Chestnut Ink")

As seen by the recipe, this figure is once more a "bitsa", and looked very different to how it would eventually:

I'm pretty happy with how this has come out, although the helmet is way too big and as such, it looks a little silly when she is wearing it. I was worried that this was going to look like Princess Leia in a Viper pilot outfit, but the hair and darker skin colour has changed the look entirely - even if it still isn't a great likeness to Maren Jensen.

I couldn't find a really good copy of a vintage Battlestar Galactica cardback to customise, so I just mocked up a quick one myself:

"No Dad, I'm not going to stay out for more than 100 centons. And I promise I won't get a scratch on the viper."

"Just because you are vintage, doesn't mean that I can't turn you into felgercarb, tin can"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Continuing the theme of DC superheroines, here is a custom Miss Martian as she appears in the current "Young Justice" cartoon:

Recipe:

* TVC Zam Wesell (for the head)
* TLC Shaak Ti (for the body, sans head, forearms and hands)
* Hasbro GI Joe: ROC Cover Girl (for the forearms)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Kitty Pryde (for the hands)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some ribbon
* some paint (Citadel "Goblin Green", "Blood Red", "Regal Blue", "Shining Gold", "Skull White")

I'm really happy with how this has come out. It did take me a few attempts to get the shirt right - the finished product turned out to be done as a three piece with the arms sewn into place once the chest had been fitted to the figure. This added a bit of bulk to the shoulders, but I think that it works.

M'gann fights for truth, justice and the White Martian way in slightly more appropriate attire than her fellow offworlder, J'onn J'onzz:

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Changing gender but remaining inside the DC Universe, here is a custom Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern:

Recipe:

* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard Utris M'Toc (for the head)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe House Of M Spider-Man (for the entire body sans head and hands)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Cyclops (for the hands)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Bucky (for the collar)
* a drawing pin (the base for the chest logo)
* a safety pin (for the belt buckle)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Vomit Brown", "Goblin Green", "Red Gore", "Regal Blue", "Chaos Black", "Skull White")

Once more, I'm pretty happy with how this has come out; hopefully the confidence I am getting with doing these customs is showing in an improvement in their quality.
As with the recent Rianna Saren figure, Alan Scott's outfit and in particular, the colour of his cloak changes frequently - the outside of the cloak seems to range from bright purple, to dark green to black dependant upon the colourist of the art. For something different, I've gone with a dark blue on the outer side and a pale blue-green on the inside.
This was the first time that I've tried to use a fairly rigid, non-elasticised material for a form fitting garment on a figure (in this instance, canvas for the pants) and while the version that I've finished with works well, it took a few failed attempts before getting there. Fingers crossed if I attempt canvas pants again on a 3.75" figure that I will remember to make sure to not make them too tight otherwise there could be unsightly wardrobe malfunctions upon attempting to move the figure's joints.

"Yellow might not pose me the problems that it does to that young whippersnapper Hal Jordan, but don't talk to me about wood!"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
I decided to revisit a couple of the previous DC superheroines seen in this thread given that I wasn't as happy with them as I could be.

First up, Supergirl. Previously, the shorts, cape and boots were in a pinkish hued material with a plastic belt. Now, a much darker material is being used, the belt has been replaced with some ribbon, the boots have been split up into painted feet and material leggings, and the shield on the left breast has been re-done. And speaking of, I have also drawn both sides of the plunging neckline a little closer together so as to not be so overt. I think that this has improved the figure exponentially:

Next up, Zatanna. I wasn't overly happy with the boots, the fishnet stockings weren't quite as good as I had originally thought and there was something a little "wrong" with the face that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Now, the feet have been replaced with those from a ROC Baroness, the frayed socks in the fishnets have been replaced with wound thread and the face has been repainted. It still isn't quite how I would like it to be, but the figure is likewise now much better than previously:

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Returning to the 'verse, here is the muscle on board the Serenity, Jayne Cobb, the "Hero of Canton":

Recipe:

* Jayne from the Dark Horse Serenity PVC set (for the head, knife and "Vera")
* Hasbro GI Joe ROC Snake Eyes (for the body)
* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard (for the pistol)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh" and "Skull White" combined, "Kommando Khaki", "Grave Yard Earth", "Chestnut Ink", "Chaos Black")

I was a little torn as to whether to use the Dark Horse Jayne head or one I got from Slayer Design Studios. I went with the former figuring that it would require a bit less work, but given I ended up repainting it anyway, either/or would have been fine. I'm really happy with how the T-shirt (and hat) turned out, but the jacket didn't quite end up how I would have liked it to. It still works in the context of the character though, so it could be worse.

Seeing as I've got plans for a few more of the Serenity crew, I thought I would quickly mock up a more appropriate cardback to accompany them:

"Let's be bad guys."

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Even the most hardened Star Wars fan would have to agree that Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is a pretty special piece of cinema. Much like The Empire Strikes Back, virtually everything in the film "just works" with the characterisation, particularly the subject of this particular custom, Captain Spock, showing maturity far beyond normal sci-fi fare:

Recipe:

* Hasbro GI Joe ROC Zartan (for the entire body sans head)
* SlayerDesignStudio "Head-77 Vulcan"
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Shining Gold", "Red Gore")

It took a few attempts to get the coat sitting right on the figure. I ended up making it as a whole one piece shirt with a second flap over the front rather than trying to make it something akin to what the actor would have worn on screen. While it would have been nice to have been able to put more detail into the rank insignia, I am happy with how this has come out:

"Fascinating"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Given that I can't justify the cost for the otherwise spectacular Gentle Giant statues, I thought that I might have a go at trying to make action figure versions of the leads from Sucker Punch myself... or at the very least, the Australian ones (who just so happen to be the most important characters in the film). First up, Baby Doll as portrayed by Emily Browning:

Recipe:

* TCW Padme Amidala, Adventure Gear (for the head)
* TLC Princess Leia, Jabba's Slave (for the body sans head, left hand and feet)
* TLC Juno Eclipse (for the left hand)
* TLC Breha Organa (for the feet)
* GI Joe: ROC Snake Eyes (for the sword)
* GI Joe: ROC Cover Girl (for the pistol)
* some material
* some ribbon
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Blood Red", "Regal Blue", "Vomit Brown", "Chaos Black" and "Skull White" and "Burnished Gold" mixed together for the hair)

I had to take a couple of small liberties with the costume due to the scale and available material - the pleat on the skirt fell out as soon as I placed it onto the figure so I ended up just making a plain skirt; the stockings aren't as shear as they perhaps should be; and while the movie costume is indeed blue, it perhaps isn't as blue as this particular version. That being said, I am happy with how this has come out - it looks better in person in natural light than it does in these photos.

"You will need to find five items. The first is a map. Then fire. Then a knife. And a key. The fifth thing is a mystery. Begin your journey. It will set you free."

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is Captain James Tiberius Kirk in his uniform from the classic Star Trek original series episode The Trouble With Tribbles:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio PO7-39 New7-39-Kirk

* Hasbro GI Joe:ROC Snake Eyes (for the entire body sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Burnished Gold", "Skull White", "Snake Bite Leather", "Chestnut Ink")

While the sculpt itself is a spot-on likeness for William Shatner, I found that whilst I was painting it, from certain angles it came up looking more like David Bowie. For a little while, I toyed with the idea of stopping making a Kirk custom and instead making something akin to Ziggy Stardust.

"Who put the Tribbles in the quadrotriticale?"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here's something that gave me a giggle when I first saw it that I couldn't pass up replicating into 3.75" form - Dr Zaius dressed as an Elvis impersonator:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio Head "PO-8-35"

* TVC Sandtrooper (heavily modified - for the entire body, sans head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Snake Bite Leather", "Golden Yellow", "Bubonic Brown")

For something that is just a bit of fun, I am really happy with his this has finished up. The jumpsuit is made out of a very glittery $2 shop hair band that has been unstitched and flattened; with the base figure being one of the endlessly repacked Sandtroopers in the current Vintage Collection, modified to remove all of the armour. The microphone is from a LEGO blind-boxed mini-figure with some thin elastic serving as the cord.

"Bright light city's gonna set my soul on fire. Viva, Las Forbidden Zone"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Next up is Kaylee Frye, the ship's mechanic on board the Firefly class vessel, Serenity:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio head "PO7-20 New7-20 - seren-5"

* TLC Plourr Ilo (modified, for the entire body, sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Red Gore", "Bestial Brown", "Chestnut Ink", "Bubonic Brown", "Burnished Gold", "Goblin Green")

I'm not sure that the likeness is quite there to Jewel Staite on this particular figure, but this is probably more my fault with the painting than with the sculpt itself.
While the different coloured pockets do stick out a little, I think that they give Kaylee the fun look that she always portrayed on the show. Plus, it would have been hard to paint the flower and teddy bear on the pockets if they were made from the same material as the rest of the jumpsuit.

"Shiny!"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Third time's the charm!

Given that the fishnet stockings on the last update were probably worse looking than the first frayed-sock attempt from back in March, I decided to once more revisit the Mistress of Magic in the DC Universe, Zatanna Zatara, and this time, I think that she is about as good as she is ever going to get.

While I had only intended to fix the stockings, I ended up pretty much re-doing the entire costume - the only original piece left now is the shirt and it has been modified to include a "ruffle" and a collar. The stockings are from a $2 shop sequined hair band which has had the sequins removed carefully and, as expected for the character, are the thing that stands out the most in this update.

I also repainted the face and while it is much improved, it still isn't quite perfect. Unfortunately, I think that re-visiting it again will only result in diminished returns given the thickness of the paint already.

"tub I t'nod tnaw ot eb detoober ni rebmetpes sa trap fo eht UnCD"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Returning to the world of Sucker Punch, here is the other Australian lead, Abbie Cornish as Sweet Pea, perhaps the most important character in the film:

Recipe:

* Saga Padme Amidala Coruscant Attack (for the head, sans hair)
* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire body, sans head and one of the gauntlets for the thigh ammunition clip)
* TVC Darth Vader (for the shoulder armour - modified from the upper chest armour on Vader)
* ROC Storm Shadow (for the sword)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Elf Flesh", "Blood Red", "Burnished Gold", "Mithril Silver", "Kommando Khaki", "Brown Ink")

As with Baby Doll, I had to take some liberties with the costume due to scale. The corset should be laced and tied up at both the front and back, but thread turned out to look too large when sewn into the costume, thus it was left off. Without these ties, the underclothing - which I am quite proud of - gets to see a bit more light of day. Here is how that looked as a work in progress:

I also had to cheat a little with the hood. It should be connected to the shoulders but it interfered with the character's hair, thus I left it seperate. I think that this has come out quite well.

"Everyone has an angel"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Returning to the DC Universe, here is Zinda Blake aka Lady Blackhawk, time displaced from the Golden Age to the modern day where she is a member of the Birds Of Prey:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Kitty Pryde (for the head)
* GI Joe ROC Cover Girl (for the entire body, sans head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Elf Flesh", "Bubonic Brown", "Bestial Brown", "Blood Red", "Burnished Gold")

While I'm happy with how this has come out, I would have liked to have done the pleated skirt properly. Unfortunately, as with the recent Baby Doll, the scale required did me in. I will get it right one day. Oh yes, I will get it right one day.

"I'm a Blackhawk"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Once more back to the 'verse, here is the pilot of the Serenity, Hoban 'Wash' Washburne:

Recipe:

* Slayer Design Studio "PO7-16 New7-16 - seren-1"

* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard (for the chest and arms)
* ROTLA Indiana Jones (for the waist and legs)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Bubonic Brown", "Grave Yard Earth", "Blood Red", "Mithril Silver")

For a pretty simple figure, I think that this has come out well. The shirt is perhaps a little more outlandish than Wash might normally wear, but it still fits the character. With the sculpt being as good a likeness as it is, I think that it would have taken quite a bit to not have any figure using this particular head look like Alan Tudyk.

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is someone who probably needs no introduction - The Terminator:

Recipe:

* Slayer Design Studio "Head-35 I'll be back (sunglasses)"

* Marvel Universe Luke Cage (for the entire body, sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Regal Blue", "Dark Flesh", "Mithril Silver", "Blood Red", "Tin Bitz")

For such a simple figure, I think that this has come out well. 'Nuff said.

"This wasn't the sort of 'bike' that I wanted, but I will take what I can get especially while carrying such a girly-man gun"

pbarny
QUOTE (Mousedroid-Hoojib @ Aug 6 2011, 01:10 AM) *
"This wasn't the sort of 'bike' that I wanted, but I will take what I can get especially while carrying such a girly-man gun"

Hot wheels makes some decent 1/18 scale bikes that aren't too expensive. I use them for my Dreadnoks. There was a glut of 1/18 scale when everyone was trying to cash in on the custom chopper reality show glut a few years ago.
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Returning to the 'verse once again, here is the first officer aboard the Serenity, Zoe Alleyne Washburne:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "PO7-22 New7-22 - seren-7"

* GI Joe ROC Baroness (modified, for the entire body sans head and feet)
* TAC Jango Fett (for the feet)
* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the wrist gauntlets which became the belt ammunition clips)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Red Gore", "Burnished Gold", "Bestial Brown", "Scorched Brown", "Grave Yard Earth")

This is a pretty simple figure that has probably finished up better than it had any right to. I'm really happy in particular with how the pants here have come out - I typically use lycra/spandex for pants, but on this particular figure, found that the material was riding up her... ummm... places so I switched instead to a more rigid material, making it a bit looser than normal. This has allowed for some natural looking folds below the knees which is an unexpected bonus.

"At last. We can retire and give up this life of crime."

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Expanding away from the DC Universe but staying within the realms of comics, here is Madame Mirage as she appeared in her mini-series from Top Cow of a couple of years ago:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire body sans feet and hair)
* GI Joe ROC Baroness (for the feet)
* TCW Cad Bane (for the hat)
* GI Joe ROC Cover Girl (for the pistol)
* Barbie Fashionistas "Swappin' Styles Sporty" head (for the hair)
* some material
* some beads
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Blood Red")

I'm not quite satisfied with the thickness of the hair on her right hand side in particular but excepting that, I think that this has come out well. I just hope that between this and the recent Nyrat Agira that I haven't unleashed a precedent that my customs need to have non-solid hair - I've still got bits of Barbie hair glued to my fingers that are sure to raise some eyebrows!

Madame Mirage is ready to kick backside in her quest for justice:

Mousedroid-Hoojib
I figured that I probably should post these here - apologies if you've seen them before - my entries from the SlayerDesignStudio "Shadows of the Night" competition:

"Bob" B'achnar-Fuldten, corporate accounts clerk:

Sarai the succubus:

When the current "Space/Sci-Fi" competition finishes on the SlayerDesignStudio site shortly, I will post my three entries from it here as well.
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is one of the great Golden Age comics characters who still holds up as well now as he did back then - The Spirit as created by Will Eisner in 1940:

Recipe:

* The Corps Kenji "Shinto" Rain (for the head, decapitated, lobotomised and clean shaven)
* GI Joe ROC Storm Shadow (Paris Pursuit) (for the body, sans head, forearms and feet)
* TVC Sandtrooper (for the forearms, hands and feet)
* ROTLA Indiana Jones (for the hat)
* some ribbon
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Regal Blue")

With the character having a relatively simple look, I wanted to test myself in making more realistic fitting shirts and pants than I have tried before and I think that the results have come out quite well. While the pictures don't really accentuate it, the shirt has a breast pocket (which actually works!) and a front seam with simulated buttons, while the pants have a fly (which admittedly does kinda-sorta look like he is "flying low" with) and better belt straps than I have tried previously. The Windsor Knot in the tie was a pain in the proverbial and is perhaps a little distracting, but I had to try it.

The Spirit protects Central City from the criminal element.

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is River Tam as she appeared in the episode "Safe":

Recipe:

* River from the Dark Horse Serenity PVC Set (for the head; modified)
* TVC Princess Leia (for the entire body, sans head; modified)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Red Gore", "Mithril Silver", "Scorched Brown", "Chestnut Ink")

For a simple figure, I think that this has come out pretty well. To get the distressed look for the jumper, I brushed it with some sandpaper which scuffed it up appropriately.

"They weren't cows inside. They were waiting to be, but they forgot. Now they see sky, and they remember what they are."

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Not all of the TV shows from the late 70s have aged as gracefully as their creators no doubt thought they might, but one which can still bring laughs (and more on occasions) to me at least is Mork & Mindy:

Recipe:

* Dragonball Evolution Goku 2 (for the head, modified)
* Dragonball Evolution Yamcha (for the body sans head, modified)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Red Gore", "Mithril Silver")

While the likeness to Robin Williams isn't perfect (although it is not much worse than the vintage 3.75" figure from Mattel), I am really happy with how this figure has turned out. The silver material - sourced from some heavily clearanced lingerie - works nicely against the one piece lycra jumpsuit, giving it a look very similar to that seen on screen. I probably should have added a seam down the middle of the silver to match the source even closer but that is probably overkill at this scale. The egg-ship was a last minute thing put together for a bit of fun - it is a tight fit, but Mork can pilot it.

"Nanoo, nanoo"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is Catwoman as she appeared through the late Golden Age and into the Silver Age (and on Earth 2 where she was Batman's wife and Huntress' mother):

Recipe:

* GI Joe ROC Baroness (for the head, modified)
* DragonBall Evolution Bulma (for the entire body, sans head, modified)
* some material
* some wire
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Blood Red", "Liche Purple", "Scorched Brown")

It's a pretty simple figure that I think has come out reasonably well. The Bulma body isn't greatly articulated, but I don't think that it hurts here.

Catwoman leaves behind a life of crime to become one of Gotham City's ever growing cast of heroes:

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is the titular character from Hudson Hawk:

Recipe:

* TVC Darth Vader (for the entire body sans head, modified)
* Slayer Design Studio "Male Head 78"

* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Grave Yard Earth", "Scorched Brown", "Mithril Silver")

My wife gave me my first Dremel for our fifth anniversary (it's a silver Stylus, so it technically fits what is appropriate for that length of time if you squint) so for a bit of fun, I took one of the umpteen duplicate Darth Vaders from my fodder collection and turned him into a something less Darth Vader-y. It's not perfect, but I needed to start somewhere and why not start with the lead from a highly underrated movie?

"This is a brand new tuxedo!"

"Toll booth!"

"Exact change?"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is Liandra, the titular character from Peter David's Fallen Angel comic:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "Dav-12 Frost" head
* Marvel Universe Spider Woman (for the entire body, sans head and wings)
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Blood Red", "Red Gore")

It's been a while since I've been totally frustrated with a custom - this one really gave me the irrits as pretty much everything that could have gone wrong with the figure did at some point. In the end, I was just happy to get her complete, as the straps on her arms and legs were fraying badly (no matter how much nail polish was applied), the paint was rubbing at places where there were no joints, and the cloak, while not completely accurate to the comic, was becoming very difficult to work with given its bulkiness. It's not a terrible figure, although there is certainly room for improvement.

Liandra protects Bete Noire from the forces of evil:

pbarny
QUOTE (Mousedroid-Hoojib @ Nov 1 2011, 12:46 AM) *
It's been a while since I've been totally frustrated with a custom - this one really gave me the irrits as pretty much everything that could have gone wrong with the figure did at some point.

poo.gif

QUOTE ('Forrest Gump')
It happens.

And there generally isn't any censored.gif censored.gif reason for it either.
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Being a lifelong Wonder Woman fan, when I first heard rumours about a new TV series being made, I was as much interested in the potential merchandise as the product itself. Although the first reviews of the script suggested that I should lower my hopes, when it was announced that Adrianne Palicki was cast as the lead and her costume was shown, it was impossible to not maintain at least a decent bit of enthusiasm. As history now tells us, the pilot that was filmed was, as the script suggests, not particularly good and thus it was not picked up by NBC. Still, seeing some of the footage that has leaked makes me wonder (pardon the pun) what might have been had the series progressed, and what sort of figures might have been released to market to accompany it.

And if you haven't seen any footage, here is a nice home-cut sequence of some of the best bits to the tune of the 1970s version of the TV show

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "Female Head #44" (modified to remove the ponytail)

* Barbie Fashionistas "Swappin' Styles Sporty" head (for the hair)
* Marvel Universe Spider-Woman (for the body, sans head and hands)
* TCW Captain Rex (modified, for the hands)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Blood Red", "Burnished Gold")

While I think that the figure has come out as well as I'm likely to get it at the moment, there are some obvious areas for improvement - the boots are too wide around the ankles, giving them a look right out of the 1977 Mego catalog; the clay armour is a little bulky in comparison to the plastic of the 1:1 version, with the decorations on them perhaps being too splotchy in application; and while I'm slowly getting better with using "hair" on figures of this scale, it isn't quite as smoothly applied as it should be. Still, with Mattel not likely to be visiting this incarnation of the character anytime soon, it is not like there is anything to compare this figure to in 1/18th scale.

Although Wonder Woman may be on a mission of peace to "Man's World", she is not above using violence to spread her message:

pbarny
I think this is a case where the soft goods pants down't work. Yes it is your signature, but it makes her thighs (and wonderful assets) dry.gif look way out of proportion to the "patriotic" S&M sex kitten overtones her costume gives her. The tightness of the boots and pants are part of her look.

Brings up another question, why does she have the uber-american theme but she's Greek (or close enough) right being Amazonian? One of those things that bugs me about her "story".
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Thanks for the feedback, pbarny. It is greatly appreciated to know what other people think works, or in this case, doesn't.

As to the outfit, Post-Crisis, the symbolism of Wonder Woman's costume came from the Amazons mistaking the insignia on a downed US plane as the standard of a "warrior" (Diana Trevor) who helped save one of their own (Phillipa) during a battle with Cottus. As a sign of respect, this standard was incorporated into the armour used when the Amazon's envoy ventured out into the world.

Sometimes it is best not to dig too much into the backstory or symbolism of comics characters though given the number of times that retcons occur over their lifetimes. While people get mightily annoyed with the never ending changes to the Star Wars saga on each subsequent release, can you imagine how frustrated they would be if The Maker made seemingly yearly changes to his characters in the same way that DC and other publishers do with theirs in comics form? There have been three completely different backstories presented for Wonder Woman in the last year and bit alone with the implication from the most recently published issue that she was not made from clay by Hippolyta, but was instead fathered by Zeus!
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Numbers and dates mean a great deal to me, so when I noticed that this coming weekend was the first anniversary of my first custom 3.75" figure - "Lucky Lekku" - I figured that I should probably do something to celebrate, namely finally attempting my first 1/6 scale custom. As such, here is Molly Mahoney as played by Natalie Portman in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium:

Recipe:

* Triad Toys Eva (for the head)
* Mattel Barbie Fashionistas Swappin' Styles Cutie (for the body, sans head)
* Mattel Barbie I Can Be Animal Trainer (for the shoes)
* some material

I don't think that I'm going to be permanently (or even temporarily, for that matter) changing scale to 12", but it was fun to put together this figure - even if clothes for 1/6 scale figures require three times the number of stitches in seams compared to the corresponding costume at 1/18 scale!

While the Eva body features more articulation than a Fashionistas Barbie (but not by a huge margin, particularly given the price difference), I couldn't bring myself to use a body with such well defined pointy-outy and foldy-inny bits for this particular character, hence the cheaper option. The remainder of Eva may get used for something a little more risque in future.

The costume worn would be considered to be just off-screen, as although it is based upon the outfit that Molly wore through the middle section of the movie, it is just different enough to be something new. The main differences are the lack of the "Bright Eyes" pattern on the overshirt, the different coloured shoes and a slightly different pattern to the apron.

I think that this has come out pretty well for a first attempt, although the belt perhaps adds a little too much bulk around the waist that is only visible without the apron on.

I wonder whether I should try Molly Mahoney in the smaller scale at some point in the future just to keep things interesting?

Thanks for taking the time to look, and in particular, comment on this and all of the other customs I've completed over the last 12 months.
Mousedroid-Hoojib
The crew of the Serenity is one step closer to being complete with the addition of the mysterious Shepherd Book:

Recipe:

* TCW Captain Rex (heavily modified, for the head and entire body sans hands)
* Marvel Universe Spider-Woman (!!!) (for the hands)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Grave Yard Earth", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Codex Grey", "Mithril Silver")

This is a pretty simple figure that has come out as well as I am likely to get it. I ground down Captain Rex's chin and replaced it with clay, which along with the different coloured paint, the removal of the furrowed brow and the addition of some hair, has completely changed the look. There was a brief moment where I was tempted to give him "too much hair" but thought that might be a bridge too far, particularly when he will be displayed alongside River.

"I've been out of the abbey two days. I've beaten a lawman senseless. Fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong."

Mousedroid-Hoojib
For a bit of fun, here is the one and only Bruce Campbell celebrating his Scottish heritage:

Recipe:

* Palisades Army Of Darkness Splitting Ash (modified, for the head)
* Marvel Universe House Of M Spider-Man (for the entire body)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Codex Grey", "Elf Flesh")

I know that this technically isn't a Clan Campbell tartan, but it was the best that I could come up with. The material is from a Barbie Fashionistas Ken shirt, dyed with Dark Green Ink - who knew that getting 1:18 scale tartan would be so hard? At least the pleat in the kilt came out nicely; perhaps I need to go back and revisit some of my failed earlier attempts at pleated skirts.

Mousedroid-Hoojib
For my second 1/6 (12") scale figure, here is Stephanie Brown in her Batgirl guise:

Recipe:

* Barbie Fashionistas Cutie Barbie (for the entire figure)
* TCW Captain Rex (for the missile which became the Eskrima truncheon)
* Mattel Batman Begins Batman (for the Batarang)
* some material, ribbon and a button
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Ultramarines Blue", "Bleached Bone", "Red Gore")

There were a couple of occasions in putting this figure together where I was tempted to give up and walk away given the difficulty of getting the purple pieces of the costume to mesh nicely with the black bodysuit, but once I battled through, I ended up with a piece which is significantly better than I had originally hoped for. The ears on the cowel were a happy accident which while perhaps closer to Catwoman's, still work in the context of the character. Likewise the belt, and particularly the buckle - a 1:1 button stitched to the belt and covered with a piece of material - was something else that turned out far better than it realistically had any right to. I don't think that I am going to be permanently switching away from 3.75" figures any time soon, but it is indeed fun playing at this much larger scale.

Batgirl helps protect Gotham using not only her skills from years of training, but with her array of Electro-gooperangs:

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here are the superhero Dysfunctional Duo Lovebunny and Mr Hell as created by Tim Seeley and published by Devil's Due and later Image Comics:

You can read a 9 page preview of the recently re-coloured trade paperback version of Lovebunny and Mr Hell at CBR, and if you are so inclined, there are some details for a BESM game here that provides a bit more detail of the strengths and weaknesses of the characters.

Recipe - Lovebunny:
* Dragonball Evolution Bulma (modified, for the head and feet)
* GI Joe ROC Baroness (modified, for the body sans head, feet and left forearm)
* TCW Anakin Skywalker (modified, for the left forearm)
* some wire
* some wool
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Burnished Gold", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Blood Red")

Recipe - Mr Hell:
* Austwide Toys "Destroyer Series" Zombie (modified, for the head)
* Austwide Toys "World Jurassic" T.Rex (for the neck, chest and arms)
* Big W "Sea World" Octopus (modified, for the bottom part of the tentacles)
* Big W "Sea World" Starfish (modified, for the top part of the tentacles)
* some household plastic
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Rotting Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Vomit Brown", "Catachan Green", "Goblin Green")

This is a relatively simple set of figures that has come out reasonably well. While the paint of Lovebunny isn't perfect, particularly around the joints, I finally managed to get a pleated skirt looking half decent at 3.75" scale. Mr Hell's robes shouldn't technically show his arms, but he did look a little bland otherwise. For those interested, his body is actually an empty roll-on deodorant container that has had the various appendages glued on.

Lovebunny and Mr Hell prepare to save the world from a teamup from Industrielle and the Pimpanzee:

Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is the younger Superman from DC Comics "New 52" reboot of Action Comics:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "Head-103 The boyscout"
* GI Joe Resolute Roadblock (modified, for the entire body sans head, feet and hands)
* GI Joe ROC Heavy Duty (for the feet)
* Marvel Universe Luke Cage (for the hands)
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Grave Yard Earth", "Red Gore", "Golden Yellow")

While I can't say that I am overly happy with the need to see Superman rebooted in comics form (and Action is one of the better titles in the reboot for mine), I am happy with the way that this figural representation of him has come out. His sleeves might be a touch too long, and the way that the pants stretch across the T join of his waist does make him look a little like he is happy to see Lois (or Lana, or Lori, or Luma), but beyond that, this has come out as well as I could have hoped.

"Whachootalkinbout, Lex?"

Mousedroid-Hoojib
As both an expirement in "gender re-assignment surgery" for 3.75" figures and because I am not yet confident enough to attempt a custom of my favourite comics character (Power Girl), here is Luma Lynai, a superhero from the planet Staryl in the Silver Age with whom Superman was set up with by Supergirl:

Recipe:

* GI Joe Resolute Firefly (very heavily modifed, for the entire body, sans head)
* Slayer Design Studio head
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Vomit Brown", "Burnished Gold", "Goblin Green")

Given that I seem to have much more male fodder than female, yet I tend to make more female characters than male, I thought that I would have a go at taking a smaller stature man and turning him into a muscular woman. Poor Firefly had his shoulders, chest, legs, waist and back ground down, then clay was added to build up breasts and hind quarters:

If you didn't know that the figure started out as male, you probably couldn't tell. I think that I made her assets a little too large, but given the similarities in costume to Peej, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Luma Lynai is strongest under the rays of the orange sun of Staryl:

pbarny
I think she's bloated all over: arms, hips, breasts, thighs; given your source pictures.

And she better watch out for Lois, that girl go crazy when anyone tries to move in on her man. dry.gif
Mousedroid-Hoojib
Here is the doctor on board the Firefly class vessel, Serenity - Simon Tam:

Recipe:

* Comic Pack Luke Skywalker (for the entire body, sans head and right hand)
* Vintage Collection Obi-Wan Kenobi (for the right hand)
* SlayerDesignStudio head
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Swarf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Scorched Brown")

Given that most of the costumes that Simon wears are analogous to modern business attire, I chose the costume that he wore through the middle section of Serenity for something different. I think that the outfit came out well, but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the likeness is there to Sean Mayer - I can't quite put my finger on who this looks like, but it does look like someone (The Professor from Gilligan's Island, Graham Norton and Mark Waugh might be top of the list).

Simon Tam foregoes a promising medical career to rescue his sister River from the clutches of The Alliance:

pbarny
QUOTE (Mousedroid-Hoojib @ Jan 21 2012, 01:03 AM) *
Given that most of the costumes that Simon wears are analogous to modern business attire, I chose the costume that he wore through the middle section of Serenity for something different. I think that the outfit came out well, but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the likeness is there to Sean Mayer - I can't quite put my finger on who this looks like, but it does look like someone (The Professor from Gilligan's Island, Graham Norton and Mark Waugh might be top of the list).

I'm going with generic sixth or seventh year Hogwarts student. Pick the Harry Potter film.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.