Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings! And Blue Snag...
F F U R G > Your Customs > Custom Cards/Packaging
guartrainer
Hi.

My name's Guartrainer and I'm from the U.K. I've lurked on these excellent forums for quite a while, so I thought I'd say hi and show you guys and gals what I've been up to recently...

I noticed that there have been some excellent statues and mini-busts of star wars characters that have been produced lately; that got me thinking for alternate image sources for cards. I was looking to do something for a card that I wanted to produce for a custom Blue Snaggletooth figure that I'm sourcing, and I would love to get your reaction and advice on possible improvements.

Anyway, This is my first attempt. Please be kind and let me know what you think!
Cheers,
GT.
guartrainer
...and also presenting the Palitoy 20b cardback image that I'm going to be using. I love the UK Death Star Playset advert (got one in a cupboard somewhere...)!!! Note that I've left the figure reference advert (8 new figures) image as a red snaggletooth on the back.

I dunno if I should change it to a blue. What do you guys think. Authentic red or a one-off blue?

Cheers,
GT.
d_j_s
Overall these cards look great. I would suggest trying to blend the colors of the Blue Snaggletooth and the background a bit more. He looks too bright compared to the rest of the image. Otherwise a very cool idea. The diorama looks fantastic, and I would suggest sticking with a Red Snaggletooth. By the way, out of curiousity, do you have a Blue Snaggletooth figure you are going to put on the card?
guartrainer
Hi d_j_s.

Yeah. Totally get the blending suggestion. Believe it or not the mini-bust image is already toned way down (added shadow to the right half of the image in an attempt to mimic the lighting in the background image) as the Cantina reference image that I'm using for the background fits the composition but has a weird colour palette and a low resolution.

I think I could have gone further though. I'll be braver and have a bash, and if it's any good I'll stick up the results for you to have a squint at.

I already have a Blue Snag which I was lucky enough to pick up many years ago. He's in great condition. My main figure collection is free standing in two huge display cases, but I did pick up some doubles so I could experiment with recarding the first 12 figures (I'm really happy with the results I got). I quite like the Blue Snag that I have as a free-stander (as I have a cantina "diorama" and he fits in really well with my vinyl cape jawa (faked to the max) and the three legged 1977 R2D2 I have displayed from the droid factory playset - a group of oddities figure-wise which seems to fit really well together).

My plan was to go the Greedo / redsnag repaint route as I have no wish to pay the insane amounts that Blue Snags seem to go for on Evilbay... as a carded-display figure I think it could work out quite well, be my first attempt at a recipe figure and save me a ton of money! That's the thinking anyway...

GT.

guartrainer
Foreground slightly desaturated and darkened slightly... edge blur to blend the foreground to the back image...

I'm happy enough with it to give it a print!

GT.
guartrainer
Did anyone spot the mistake?

I only noticed AFTER I had printed out my first proof, of course!
Can anyone else spot why I'm kicking myself at the moment? Bah!

GT.
tworiverz
Could it be that you have a particularly short Blue snags ?

PM me if you need a snug fitting bubble ,I should have a greedo bubble Kicking around somewhere.

Nice work by the way, interesting Snags image.

Keep em comming
guartrainer
Got it in one...

I guess my Snags took off his 70's platform-boots... ahem!

wink.gif

GT.

One bit of photoshop magic later...

I had to recompose the image slightly (lifting up the two Bith guys in the background), but on the whole I'm quite happy.
GT.
guartrainer
Presenting..... Rude Greedo! hypocrite.gif !

Somehow appropriately British for a Palitoy release! Heh!

GT.
guartrainer
Ithorians.... all tree-huggy and peace-loving till you accidentally knock over their pint...

It's the quiet ones you've got to watch, y'know.

GT.
tworiverz
Yet again Nice work, they kind of have a Kubrick sort of feel to them, If you know what I mean, more Arty than photographic.

My only comment would be on the Greedo card, try to center him a little more and raise him up towards the top of the card a little.
He looks to be off centre to me, just my opinion but might improve the overall look.

Also I don't know if you are wanting these to be politically correct or not but Palitoy didn't use the Ref number in the top left corner.

All in all very appealing and interesting cards though, MORE PLEASE thumbup.gif
guartrainer
Thanks for your feedback tworiverz. Much appreciated. I think you're right about Greedo. He's slightly off centre an the shadowing isn't helping him.

Also correct about the ref numbers on Palitoy. I have these cards set up as layers in Photoshop (from some restored cards that I scanned and fixed and some gfx resources that I've collected along the way). May aim was to have a PSD file that I could use to print whatever I liked, from Meccano to Lil'Ledy. Somehow the Kenner ref-number layer must have been moved up and I didn't spot them. A good job that I'm waiting for feedback before hitting the printer, eh?!

I know what you mean about the Kubrick'y feel. I think these cards seem more posed than regular vintage. I'm trying my best to hide the fact that they are composited, but I think it might actually be lending it something...

Cheers,

GT.
guartrainer
Modified Greedo...

Much better! Thanks tworiverz.

GT.
guartrainer
I guarantee that you've never seen this pic of Walrus man before...

As you can probably guess, I've done cantina themed creatures...
Don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

GT.
tworiverz
Guartrainer, you're more than welcome and Greedo looks much better too.
Odd how moving an image just a fraction can make all the difference.

Gota say I love Walrusman, did you get really sneaky on that ph34r.gif and splice a walrusman head onto a greedo body ? just looks like the greedo shirt and jacket thats all wink.gif
Whatever you did I LIKE IT!!!!!

What about a Red snaggletooth next, Ooh, Ooh R2 And Threepio please I'd love to see those two drool.gif .

Excellent work

guartrainer
Ak! You got me! WM is indeed wearing a cast-off greedo jacket (the sneaky thing).
I needed some clothing with a high collar to hide some of his more "interesting" neck issues that he developed whilst mid-photoshop...

I'd already decided that I was going to move onto droids after the cantina patrons, so I'm happy to present my take on '3P0.

Everyone: Please feel free to chip in with criteque and suggestions. It all helps to make my cards better!

Cheers,

GT.
guartrainer
2nd droid attempted: R2D2.

GT.
guartrainer
Next up: The RA-7 Protocol Droid - AKA Death Star Droid. This is one of my favorite figures from the vintage line.

Although, who would want to chat to one, while on the Death Star, is beyond me... smile.gif

GT.
guartrainer
And....... Power Droid! GONK! GONK!

Obviously this pic was taken just before he wandered into that canyon where the Jawas wait in ambush...
"You wait for three lunar-months and then three droids come along at once!" - Translation: "Utinni!" smile.gif

GT.
guartrainer
And the cards keep on rolling... Introducing: R5D4

This unit has a particularly bad motivatior...

GT.
guartrainer
... and the big fella.

The ability to load Photoshop is insignificant next to the power of the Force...
guartrainer
Back to my original project; some spare figures arrived in the post today, so I had my first attempt at the "boil and pop" method.

I've constructed my fake Blue Snag (easy!) and I've started painting him. I'm using my original Blue Snag for some colour matching of the body, arm and leg portions, and so far so good. I'm rather pleased with the initial paint job I've achieved. I'm keeping a uniform blue (for card display). Very close to the original! I stilll need to complete the neck area, silver the boots, some black belt over-paining and some skin tone matching...

... can't understand why some people are willing to pay £30/$45 on Ebay for these custom figures... 8(

Much more fun (and a HELL of a lot cheaper) DIY.
tworiverz
Looking good so far, but if you don't mind me asking, why settle for the Greedo boots when all you need to do is make silicone casts of the boots on your original(Which won't do any damage) and then cast a new pair of boots in resin.A slightly longer process but would yield infinately better results on the finnished item.

There are plenty of casting tutorials and tonns of experts here who would be able to answer any questions you might have.
guartrainer
Hi Tworiverz. I wanted something fairly small scale and easily achievable for my first recipe custom (plus the fact that I was terrified of damaging the paintjob on my original snags boots which are pristine), but if it could be done with no damage then you've got me thinking...

I'll go and have a rake about in the casting section of the forum. Are there any threads or stickies that anyone would recommend as being particularly helpful (I'm a complete noob when it comes to moulds and resin casts)?

Cheers,

GT.

guartrainer
Finished the paintjob on the custom snag. I'm very pleased with it (especially the head re-paint).

I've been looking at RTV mold tutorials (on FFURG, Customizer's Cookbook and Y'tube). Interesting... I think I'll do another snag with resin cast legs (thanks for the idea tworiverz). Never would have believed that I'd even think of attempting a project like this, but then again, I never would have believed that I would be able to find my way around Photoshop... So here goes another steep learning curve. This is quite an addicting hobby, eh?

Happy enough to re-card this snag until I get my head around mold making.

GT.
guartrainer
Back to custom cards...

They might not be able to hit a barn-door with a blaster-bolt, but how cool is the armour, eh?

Helping to keep the galaxy intimidated since 20 BBY.

GT.
guartrainer
Got my Blue Snags on card today. I'm quite pleased with it.

A nice addition to my collection... that is until I can get my head around molding/casting. Speaking of which I've found an amazing tutorial after a bit of digging. It's by member Jaina100 (THANK YOU!), on their amazing site in the TIPS section. I've included a link below for anyone else who might be getting inspiration.

CLICK FOR DIRECT LINK

GT.
guartrainer
Prepare yourselves for some soft focus and some innovative sello-tape application...

Pleased with the way this one came out. I've been avoiding the centrepiece human characters so far as I wasn't happy with some of the effects that I've been getting filter-wise, but I think I've cracked it with the princess... no double entendre intended.

Let me know what you think guys!

GT.
guartrainer
Question: What do you get if you stick a farm-boy in a state of the art Incom T-65 X-wing starfighter..?

Answer: The death of an estimated 31,622,963 Imperial personnel at the BoY (*). A sobering thought, next time you are either visiting a farm, or pinning a medal on someone...

wink.gif

GT.

(* According to "The Technical Book of Science Fiction Films" - I know this is a contentious figure which is bound to upset someone; don't blame me. Then again, what the hell - blame away - I couldn't give a monkeys, anyway).
guartrainer
Contrary to popular belief, Han Solo was actually Chewbacca’s sidekick.

I only know one Chewbacca joke...

How many Wookies does it take to change a Glo-panel?
None: It's easier to let them win at Holo-Chess in the dark.

GT.
guartrainer
On to a favourite actor of mine, the PROPER Obi-wan, not the Ewan Mcgregor stuff....

Guinness had so much faith in the film (even though being identified with it apparently made him cringe in later life) that he negotiated a deal for two percent of the gross of Star Wars takings... now THAT'S using the force IMHO.

GT.
guartrainer
Quite pleased with this one.

As there are no reference pics for a minibust, I had to mock the majority of this image up myself. Thanks to Gazmondo for the tips and suggestions.

GT.
Gazmondo
Hi GT,
i've been lurking on here for a while checking out your cards and not piped in with anything but these are fantastic.
You've done a great job with the Death Squad Commander, especially with what you had to work with. Look forward to seeing these carded up and displayed.
Also, you've inspired me to make my own blue snags after seeing what you've done with yours. Why pay high end prices for an original when you can make your own.
Keep up the good work
Gaz
guartrainer
Thanks for the comments and advice Gaz. Much appreciated as always.
The images that you sent through will be invaluable in the next set of cards I'm about to mock up. Many thanks.

The Death Squad Commander has been the most difficult card to date. It is a synthesis of about five different images I've been using for source. Took me a while to get it to hang together. I'm hoping that the next one wont be so much hard work. smile.gif

GT.
guartrainer
Luke in happier times. I love this image.

Obviously taken before the unpleasantness with Owen and Beru Lars... at least I hope so. Having said that, he did seem to get over their deaths pretty quickly; so, you never know.

GT.
guartrainer
Having a good day today.

As an 8 year old kid, sandpeople terrified me. Did me the world of good though. I'm suprised George hasn't edited them out with a special edition. wink.gif

GT.
guartrainer
Who shot first? Need you ask?

Just a couple of cards more to do and I'll have completed the first 20 figures released as a part of the 77-78 vintage line. I don't know if I'll take this project much further as this seems like a fairly natural place to stop (considering I was only going to do a Blue snag!). Dunno though...

GT.
guartrainer
One more to go... after this one.

Good old reliable red.
victorfrankenstein
QUOTE (guartrainer @ Aug 22 2010, 09:17 AM) *
Luke in happier times. I love this image.

Obviously taken before the unpleasantness with Owen and Beru Lars... at least I hope so. Having said that, he did seem to get over their deaths pretty quickly; so, you never know.

GT.

Incredible great work! I love that image. An innocent farmboy in its purest state.
Thanks for show your work! Best regards.
guartrainer
Hello again.

Check this out -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=200690623520

An Ebay blagger is now selling my card images... quite unhappy about this. I don't mind when people use stuff I've created to go on to create even more impressive art, but downloading a reduced image and producing an image for Ebay sale - well, that's taking the biscuit somewhat.

What do you guys think I should do - the image is montage as it is. Do you think there is a case to report to Ebay?

G.
guartrainer
A little bit of an update.

Got a nice message from the holder of the aucton.

Apparently they were scammed when they bought the Snaggletooth card from this guy on Ebay.

samuraiman69

So, buyer beware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280779972955

@Samuraiman - You're obviously checking threads on this board. Please stop using other peoples work and making a profit. I'll be watching...

Guartrainer.
Gazmondo
After seeing this I think we all need to protect our card art we make, maybe with watermarks or showing off a finished carded example. I certainly would not appreciate anyone taking my images and selling them on ebay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.