Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Near The End Of A Long Road
F F U R G > Your Customs > Custom Cards/Packaging
tworiverz
Well I would like to present a project that has taken me on one heck of a rollercoaster ride of nostalgic highs biggrin.gif and deep dark lows down.gif .

First thing you need to do is go get a cuppa ,cos this is a long read thumbup.gif

Its been a joy and also more frustraiting than sitting on a nail when youve got piles huh.gif ,but I must say I wouldn't have had it any other way.

The project started nearly two years ago, after getting to grips with basics of recarding I began to feel a little disapointed at the selection of generic bubbles that where available so slowly but surely a plan started to emerge.

Why wouldn't it be possible,

The methods of production where there,

The originals where kind of available.

YES LETS DO IT !!!!!!! blowupff.gif

SO WHAT THE HECK AM I TALKING ABOUT I HEAR YOU SAY ?

Well I wanted to recard all my vintage figures on cards with the correct factory release bubbles
Now we all know that if you where to purchase a full collection of factory sealed MOC figures that you would be seriously out of poocket(which I couldn't afford), so I started to pick up originals bubbles where I could.

Now nearly 2 years later I am finnaly getting close to the end of the tunnel.

I have worked with a few people over this period and although things didn't work out for one reason or another , I have to say thanks to them for their efforts that helped things along the way.

The molds went through a stage of fatal production errors and took nearly 4 months to find the right type of material to make them out of

Then Last year I picked up a Vac Forming machine at a real bargain price and started to work with it only to find that it couldn't do what I needed it to do.
This resulted in a serious setback. I'd spent some serious money and couldn't even do what I wanted it to do poo.gif
As a result my motivation hit a major low.

But then by chance I came across another gem of a Vac Forming machine and managed to get it at a real snip.

It is a Clarke CR725FLB,an older model but a real beauty.

Now 6 months on,I've completed most of the molds,got the right plastic and am confident with my abilities.

Finnally I would like to show you the results of 2 years work, an almost complete set of ANH,ESB,ROTJ,and POTF bubble molds.
The photo doesn't show any insert trays,but I have them all including a wicket insert that I've never seen on a Factory seal card.
I am also working on a few more that are nearly complete but this is the bulk of them.
Included in the photo are Palitoy Twin dogleg bubbles and a half height TriLogo Bubble
The only 3 that are still causing issues are Liea Endor,Lando Skiff Disguise,and Boushh because of the helmet sections above the main bubble.

After all the effort,time and I put into this project all that remains is to share with you all the benifits so,

If anyone needs some (small quantaties to start with) please feel free to PM me.

Delaton
Wow. Ambitious, but awesome.
savrip
That's... cry.gif beautiful, man.
meccano-man
You weren't kidding! That is one beautiful sight to behold. Now, I've just got to see a close up view of the Hammerhead blister. Could you do that for me? I'm sending you a PM. This is really exciting.
tworiverz
MM here ya go,but only as its you laugh.gif

meccano-man
Thank you very much! I feel special. hypocrite.gif I can't wait to get these. I've sent you a couple more PMs.
CorranHorn
tworiverz, the work you've done on this project is impressive. I'd be curious to know what you may have done to ensure that people can separate these from original vintage bubbles. While you may have the best intentions regarding the project, by releasing bubbles to others the possibility of these being passed off as authentic bubbles & carded figures increase.

Cheers!
tworiverz
Hi Corran, First and formost the bubbles differ from the originals in that there is no waffle effect around the lip,a pretty significant tell tail sign,now I know it can be reproduced using the file method refrenced in the related post(Carded Luke With "heat Sealed" Effect), but you could say that that is true for Toyrestores bubbles also

Also While the original bubbles where used for the molds ,the material they are made from differs in type and thickness..

Along with the above points ,another major difference is that , on originals ,the edges of the bubbles are more or less sharp with just a slight bevel, but mine are alot more rounded.

Add to this that mine have an almost invisible grain/imperfections caused by the molds,and while not affecting the overall look of the recard can be spotted when looking closely at them, so are decernable at a glance.

I Feel that these bubbles are different enough that ,to someone who knows what to look for,they are imediately recognisable as reproductions.
The information is out there to accurately pick these bubbles out as repro.

Finnally I am trusting FFURG members to use these bubbles responsibly and those who have requested them,so far,have proven themselves as trustworthy in the past,but the first time I spot one of these being passed off as original either by an FFURG member(which I cannot honestly even consider) or by an Ebay Seller I WILL retract the offer.

I am offering these out because I know that others like myself do not have the resouces to purchase the original factory sealed versions and this may be the only way they are able to build their dream collection.
Its all about the nostalga.

While I understand fully the comment that you are making , I would never condone the use of these bubbles for the purpose of ripping someone off and I do keep a keen eye on ebay for anything of mine being passed off as original,If I spot anything I WILL act accordingly with Ebay.

I hope that this will lay your concerns to rest but if you still feel uneasy please PM me and I'll try to put your mind at rest.

CorranHorn
tworiverz, thanks for taking the time to follow up with a response, clearly you've put a lot of thought in how to ensure your bubbles could not be mistaken for original vintage bubbles and I applaud you for that, along with your tenacity in monitoring the usage of the bubbles to those you give them to. i think the details you've provided not only quell any concerns I might have had, but should do the same for others. though as we all know you can't please everyone (and you shouldn't try) so there will be detractors out there, but I won't be one of them. cheers!
tworiverz
Thanks Corran, though I have to admit that alot of the differences where not by design but a change in the technology available now to when they where originally made.
I originally thought long and hard about wether or not to offer them out but as I said in the last update I feel that it will eventually prove to encourage new custom work on the forum as well as enhance people collection/nostalia for the hobby.

Please feel free to contact me if you spot anything that might look a bit dodgey being passed off as original and I'll look it over to see if its one of mine.
I do hope though ,that this will never happen as I would hate to deprive others of the pleasure these blisters are giving me.

All the best
Taun Weiner
goneskis

tworiverz
Taun Weiner, Ive Pm'd you
Glassman6
Peter,
sorry i've missed this for so long. But this is an amazing effort. Amazing!

To see all the molds layed out like that almost made me wet myself.

I too, had thoughts of undertaking this task, but never found a vaccu-former that was reasonably enough priced
when i had the money laying around.

Congrats on your achievement!
tworiverz
Thanks dood, you know where I am if you need any bubbles.

Just drop me a line.

biggrin.gif
stuarte76
Wow! Fantastic effort on your bubbles, as I'm UK based if you start to sell these I'd be very interested. Congratulations on your great work.

Best regards, Stu
TD 5491
I make custom cards for 501st Legion members such as myself as well as charity cards so if these do come to a sale ponit I would be interested as well.
Here's a few samples of my work.

Thanks for posting this and please let me know if you are selling them or who else maybe able to help a brother out.

Here's me presenting Chewbacca aka Peter Mayhew with his custom pictured above

Another one I did for Jeremy Bulloch when he recieved his very own costume from the 501st Legion/TDH

Here's a shot of the back of mine which was different from his.

Please let me know who can help me out with some bubbles if not you because I have a few charity events coming up and they want cards
made and I'm out of bubbles sad.gif

And here's some I made years ago when I first started making custom cards,
that have had quite a bit of public talk here recently thanks to Steve Sansweet and George Takei LOL

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.