Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Imperial Gun Tower
F F U R G > Your Customs > Star Wars Dioramas
psyclonetrooper
Imperial Tower -

This has been a work in progress now for some time. It is made of sheet styrene, wood, Star Wars and GI Joe palyset parts and lots off little found objects. Here is what I have so far.

Imperial Tower 3/18/08 :

10/3/07 :

I applied some plating and pieces to the gun and gave it a prime coat. Still a lot of work to be done.

9/26/07 :

meandnooneelse
Dude, that is awesome! Any of it from the GI Joe L.A.W.? I would love to build a project like this, but I just don't have the time or space to do so. I really wish Hasbro (or somebody) would start making Star Wars playsets again, although they would never be as awesome as this!
psyclonetrooper
QUOTE (Darth Simmons @ Mar 19 2008, 08:30 AM)
Dude, that is awesome! Any of it from the GI Joe L.A.W.? I would love to build a project like this, but I just don't have the time or space to do so. I really wish Hasbro (or somebody) would start making Star Wars playsets again, although they would never be as awesome as this!

Thanks. It all started with the GI Joe Tactical Battle Platform. I was just planning on making it the top of a bunker type structure that looked Imperial and the project just started growing. There will probably be other parts from Joe playsets included, maybe guns and stuff. I've also taken from model kits.
kurgan
A very nice scratch class, i really like the shapes made with styrene.
tonphanan
Very cool. The detail you have put into this is amazing. The inside has to be my absolute favorite.
kurgan
have you finished the interior?
psyclonetrooper
QUOTE (kurgan @ Mar 23 2008, 01:02 PM)
have you finished the interior?

No, the interior is still under major construction. I began working on it but switched to the lasers. I'll have some updates on those soon.
Jesse James
I'd like to see an update on this too... It's outstanding looking thus far and unmatched IMO by other gun towers out there. It just looks massive and like it might fall in line with the smaller towers seen in ANH and ROTJ so it's actually to-scale...

It'll be a real cool centerpiece to a display. Put a couple TIE's on acrylyc stands near it like they're doing a flyby. That'd be great.

Was the wood skeleton for the set necessary or just desired? I was thinking this wouldn't require that kind of support really.
psyclonetrooper
QUOTE (Jesse James @ Mar 27 2008, 01:43 AM)
I'd like to see an update on this too...  It's outstanding looking thus far and unmatched IMO by other gun towers out there.  It just looks massive and like it might fall in line with the smaller towers seen in ANH and ROTJ so it's actually to-scale... 

It'll be a real cool centerpiece to a display.  Put a couple TIE's on acrylyc stands near it like they're doing a flyby.  That'd be great.

Was the wood skeleton for the set necessary or just desired?  I was thinking this wouldn't require that kind of support really.

The TIEs would be a cool idea, didn't think of that.

Wood was used for a few reasons. When I started building it I wasn't sure what kind of support I would need. I wasn't sure how much weight, if any, I was going to put on top of it. Another reason is that I work with wood so I'm more familiar with it's stability than working with thick styrene. I have read of occasions where people had buckling problems with styrene and had to go in and use supports after they were pretty far along in construction. Styrene can also be REALLY expensive the thicker it gets. Although, I have to admit I am tempted to do a small tower in styrene soon. The reason I continued with wood for the upper section is because I had pieces laying around and it takes only a few minutes on my saw to get the frame up. The drawback is that this thing is like a piece of furniture. It's heavy, especially the base. But, it's sturdy and will not bust if it's knocked. Maybe a few little details might come off but it's a beast.
The Spectre
This is fantastic looking! I really wish I had the room to do something of this scale right now myself, but it's just not int he cards right now.

I cannot wait to see this all finished up smile.gif
FoxtrotDelta
Now that is simply AMAZING! Whats the dimensions on that thing?
Kosmouhu
Yeah, thatīs really unbelieveable!! You are a great artist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.