Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Cardbacks - Sw And Esb
F F U R G > Your Customs > Custom Cards/Packaging
jedidoug
Here are some new cardbacks I made. I updated the Rebel Fleet Trooper card based on feedback I received here (changed the blue to orange).

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/jedidoug/Star%20Wars/leia_escape_car.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/jedidoug/Star%20Wars/lando_card.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/jedidoug/Star%20Wars/frigateluke_card.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/jedidoug/Star%20Wars/frigateleia_card.jpg[/img]
tykrazen
Doug,

What vibe are you going for here? If you are going for the vintage Kenner look, I think most of your photos are too close into the subject. For the most part, Kenner used 3/4 body shots of the character -- there are a few exceptions -- mainly when there was limited photo reference. The second concern would be the "through the middle of the forehead placement of the nameplate - especially on the Leia Hoth and Luke Dagobah - it's a bit distracting.

If you're not going for the "as they would make them" vibe, then these are sharp and fresh. I like the angle of the photo on the Leia Hoth and the Leia Bespin. These have a modern aesthetic to the picture choices and framing. On another note, your backingplates might be a bit too high - you might consider resizing some of them if you plan on recarding your older customs.
weechee
1st your pic is Waaaay too wide it messes up my screen!! ohmy.gif

Im not lovin the orange for the fleet trooper. cliff Claven-I mean Derlin looks Awesome! really Like the Wedge a lot, The Photo size issue that Tykrazen mentioned seems the worst on Leia Hoth, but it looks cool, just not like a vintage kenner card.
jedidoug
I agree about the photos. That's been the biggest challenge for me - finding high resolution source material that captures the essence of the character and is also a 1/2 or 3/4 view. I used image capture software to get my photos from the DVDs (I'm not a fan of scanned photos at all). If anyone has any suggestions for alternate photos, please let me know.

When I showed my Fleet Trooper with the blue background, consensus seemed to be that blue was not something Kenner would use, as they chose complementary colours instead, which is why I changed it to orange. If the orange bothers you, Weechee, what would you suggest instead?
weechee
I dont know, I have this problem myself and waste tons of prints deciding to change colors...when making the card I want it to pop of the card, then I want the fig to pop off background, i liked the blue better than orange, but try the standard dark green like on Han Solo 12 back, or maybe Yellow

what Image cap software do you use? those look sharp as ever

and the photos remind me of the 4 classic cantina aliens, same style
fettsplace
QUOTE (jedidoug @ Mar 10 2008, 09:13 AM)
. . . When I showed my Fleet Trooper with the blue background, consensus seemed to be that blue was not something Kenner would use, as they chose complementary colours instead, which is why I changed it to orange. If the orange bothers you, Weechee, what would you suggest instead?

I think something in between would work, say something like the color used for the original Death Star trooper.
tykrazen
QUOTE (jedidoug @ Mar 10 2008, 07:13 AM)
I agree about the photos. That's been the biggest challenge for me (I'm not a fan of scanned photos at all). If anyone has any suggestions for alternate photos, please let me know.

When I showed my Fleet Trooper with the blue background, consensus seemed to be that blue was not something Kenner would use, as they chose complementary colours instead, which is why I changed it to orange. If the orange bothers you, Weechee, what would you suggest instead?

Is the problem with scanned photos they are too small at a high resolution? If that's the case, you might try scanning from only particular sources... The Chronicle books are a good choice because the print resolution on the book itself if fairly high and the images are typically large. I also rely on Star Wars Fact Files as it has many obscure photos and prints common ones at a larger size (Sadly Fact Files are tough to come by here in the US). Some of the Visual Dictionary pictures are also of a decent size. Also what dpi are you producing your cards at?

When using your screen caps don't be afraid of airburshing. Kenner did a lot of that to extend a photo or to remove extraneous characters. For example, brush out the piece of Han's head on the General Riekeen card or the rebel trooper hat on Derlin's card.

For the bespin leia, shift her down some and make the image somewhat smaller so her head doesn't fill the whole width and so it is centered in the composition -- then airbrush background gaps to fill the rest of the card in. (Cloning also work well here.) At a glance, Derlin, Dag luke, and spirit obi-wan could all benefit from this adjustment.

I hope I don't sound too critical of your work. I think it's amazing. I've just been working on honing my skills at the Kenner visual and so my brain is centered on things I would do if making the cards with these images.

As for the color change on the RFT - if orange isn't working for you, red may be another option -- even a yellow could work.
Glassman6
I like the picture choices. They just are too close to the subject, as oppose to the 3/4 thing like kenner. But as just custom cards, not kenner continuation, they are great choices.
One exception is the R2M2, that image is so far back it could also be an image for hoth han. I think the droid needs to be moved higher, more of the focus.

Couple nitpicks...
Luke training, i think him actually doing something would be a better pic. Handstand, climbing the vines... not just there with his eyes closed.
Lando (pilot gear) that outfit doesnt say pilot, to me. No jumpsuit, no Hoses, no helmet... I think pilot is the wrong word. I dont want to say "smuggler" casue its been done. Civilian maybe? Since he is no longer administrator. Something in that direction.
Again, just my nitpicks.
jedidoug
The program I use is called DVD Capture Vers. 2.5. It's a helper application for the Mac DVD Player software. It's a free download.

Here are some options for the Rebel Trooper. I'm leaning more towards Fettsplace's suggestion of the Death Squad Commander colour.

Chewbacca yellow

Darth Vader peach

Ben Kenobi gold

Han Solo green

Death Squad Commander turquise
jedidoug
QUOTE (tykrazen @ Mar 10 2008, 09:02 AM)
Is the problem with scanned photos they are too small at a high resolution? If that's the case, you might try scanning from only particular sources... The Chronicle books are a good choice because the print resolution on the book itself if fairly high and the images are typically large. I also rely on Star Wars Fact Files as it has many obscure photos and prints common ones at a larger size (Sadly Fact Files are tough to come by here in the US). Some of the Visual Dictionary pictures are also of a decent size. Also what dpi are you producing your cards at?

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't done any cloning or airbrushing on the cards, but I can see what you mean looking through some of the Kenner material.

I produce my cards at 300 dpi. All of my images are at that resolution as well. The problem with scanned photos is that the colour is never that good; also when you scan from a book, you invariably get the problem of "screening" - it's sort of a grid that appears when you scan a screen-printed image. I have worked as a graphic artist in the publishing business for a long time.

That doesn't mean you can't get away with scanning printed images. It's just tricky. I don't know why those Visual Dictionaries, etc. didn't occur to me. I don't own the Chronicle books or Fact Files. I do have the old SW storybooks too. I'll take a look through my own collection of SW books and see if I can find something better for some of those images.
tykrazen
QUOTE (Glassman6 @ Mar 10 2008, 08:11 AM)
I like the picture choices. They just are too close to the subject, as oppose to the 3/4 thing like kenner. But as just custom cards, not kenner continuation, they are great choices.
One exception is the R2M2, that image is so far back it could also be an image for hoth han. I think the droid needs to be moved higher, more of the focus.

Couple nitpicks...
Luke training, i think him actually doing something would be a better pic. Handstand, climbing the vines... not just there with his eyes closed.
Lando (pilot gear) that outfit doesnt say pilot, to me. No jumpsuit, no Hoses, no helmet... I think pilot is the wrong word. I dont want to say "smuggler" casue its been done. Civilian maybe? Since he is no longer administrator. Something in that direction.
Again, just my nitpicks.

The Lando name is something that's been vexing me a little...

Some brainstorming:

Lando Calrissian: Millenium Falcon Captain
Lando Calrissian: Rebel Fleet Outfit
Lando Calrissian: Wardrobe Raider
Lando Calrissian: Star Pilot

On a side note, do you think he actually raided Han's closet? -- you figure he left Cloud City with only the shirt on his back - could he be wearing that outfit since he didn't have clothes of his own?
jedidoug
QUOTE (tykrazen @ Mar 10 2008, 09:21 AM)
On a side note, do you think he actually raided Han's closet? -- you figure he left Cloud City with only the shirt on his back - could he be wearing that outfit since he didn't have clothes of his own?

Maybe they all went to the mall for new outfits, and Leia got her hair done. smile.gif

I like Millenium Falcon Captain.

I don't mind anyone's nitpicks on here, by the way. Keep the constructive criticism coming. When you're very close to something, it's hard to get perspective. I appreciate the feedback. These are going to be some great looking cards when they're done.
weechee
I really do like the green one thumbup.gif
fettsplace
QUOTE (jedidoug @ Mar 10 2008, 10:20 AM)
That doesn't mean you can't get away with scanning printed images. It's just tricky. I don't know why those Visual Dictionaries, etc. didn't occur to me. I don't own the Chronicle books or Fact Files. I do have the old SW storybooks too. I'll take a look through my own collection of SW books and see if I can find something better for some of those images.

You really should try tracking down some of these books. the images in most are fairly hi res and have great color and low pixilation, so "Fixing" the screening effect is quite easy with those. I had color scanning problems a while back as well, but fixed it by switching form a LED scanner to a white lamp scanner. You also may get better results by placing a solid black backer behind your scanning image. It'll prevent any ghost images from the reverse side of the print from showing in the scan.
jedidoug
I made a few revisions so far.

weechee
The last one leia is a bit low. the others are good. You can just here "Its Me" when you see the Han Hoth, that pic really captures the Han Solo attitude and persona...

It is so much fun to see your new cards that I am tempted to say they are all bad, just to get you to go make a whole new batch tongue.gif

the Wedge from a few posts back is excellent do not revise the pic on that one it is great as is.

i dont always succeed... but one thing I try to do when making cards for a set is to try to put all of the character's heads in the same spot on the card.
for example your Han, Leia Hoth, and Obi all are positioned the same, but the leia bespin does not follow the pattern
tykrazen
QUOTE (jedidoug @ Mar 10 2008, 03:05 PM)
I made a few revisions so far.

I like these even more. Zoom in on the hoth Han just a bit, he feels tiny in the card to me.

Leia Hoth - there is much liking of this card. Good placement and Size and I like how the ice wall lines help add to the design.

There's something about the Obi I don't like but I can't place my finger on it... might just be to static for me (and all ghost images are going to be static anyway so not much to do there if that's the case.

Luke Jedi Training zoom in a hair on him -- it's okay if Yoda ends up in the name plate as he's not the focus. Luke just seems so fay away.

And I agree with Weechee on the Bespin Leia - nudge it up a hair and you've got it.

You continue to wow me with your photo choices.
jedidoug
I think we're getting closer. A few more revisions...

I'll be editing a few of the other cards and posting those new versions.

I'm also looking for a couple images - 3/4 or full body shot of R5-M2 (the Hoth astro droid) and Medical Frigate Leia. If anyone can help me out, let me know.
savrip
Looking good JediDoug. Those are some really nice screen captures. I like the suggestions made and they do make the cards look a little more professional.
fettsplace
Those are looking much better, though yoda's head just behind the figure name is a bit distracting. I think I'd try to blow that one up just a bit to get Yoda out of the image as much as possible.
Glassman6
These are really looking good doug,
One other trick that kenner has done in the past is to flip the phot to keep focus toward the figure. You may want to try that on some of the images that are leading you off the card.
jedidoug
I'll rework the Jedi Training Luke card to get Yoda out of the picture.

I flipped the Leia photo and I think it works better. I also updated the K3PO card.

Glassman6
Exactly. I think hoth han could use the same treatment.
Great work. Looking forward to seeing more.
weechee
QUOTE (Glassman6 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:45 AM)
These are really looking good doug,
One other trick that kenner has done in the past is to flip the phot to keep focus toward the figure. You may want to try that on some of the images that are leading you off the card.

Motion Vectors...I just remembered this from a video editing class I took a long time ago...the motion should lead the eye to what you want the viewer to focus on...this has led me to re-examine all of my cards, there has been one that has been bothering me and i now realize I need to remake at least one...although I have also been studying the vintage set in this regard and noticed that the best looking cards follow this rule but about a good 25% of them dont...R2 sensor, Jawa, Lando, Lando Gen, Sqidhead, Nien Numb and a whole bunch of others lead away from the fig...my point is that you should lead towards the fig as a general rule but not an absolute rule if it hinders you...sometimes images look terrible flipped because insignia and eye patches and bionic limbs and the like end up on the wrong side...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.