Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling All 12" Customizers!
F F U R G > Your Customs > 12" Scale Star Wars Customs
BillyC
I guess I'll be the first to post in the 12" section! smile.gif

Here are my current 12" projects:
#1 - 12" Jedi Luke - Painting head
#2 - 12" Luke SOTM - Painting head & collecting parts
#3 - 12" Stormtrooper - Painting head
#4 - 12" Han ANH - Painting head
#5 - 12" Corron Horn (i, Jedi) - Planning stage and collecting parts

I just got my 12" saga Yoda in the mail (scored him for $15) smile.gif so I'll be working making hime more articulated.

Hopefully we'll see some more 12" customizers in here. Let us know what you are working on.

'til next time...
BillyC
Findswoman
Go you, Bill! Looks like you have lots of interesting stuff in the works. I'm excited to see what you come up with for the 12" Corran -- I don't know as I have ever seen a custom of him on that scale.

I've recently been feeling the lure of the 1:6 side of the Forgotten Force, and here's what I have in the works. Not much, but I'm hoping to delve into it more:

12" Naboo Royal Handmaiden in the gold Theed Palace outfit
12" Mara Jade (using various Cy Girl parts)
fixing the hair on my Improved (!) 12" Arena Padmé

Pictures of these to come soon, I hope.
Happy customizing, all!

... the Findswoman
CorranHorn
Even though I'm not into 12", I'm really interested as well in knowing what's going into the Corran Horn (for obvious reasons tongue.gif). Also for your Jedi Luke, are you just repainting the head or is there more to it?
Sith Prop Lord
A forum for just SW 12" customs, sweet! biggrin.gif . I have a few 12" customs in the works as well. In no particular order:

- ANH Han Solo
- ROTJ Luke
- ANH Leia
- ROTJ Chewbacca
- ESB Yoda
- ROTJ Vader (reveal helmet)
- ARC Trooper
- EPIII Clonetrooper
- EPIII Anakin

I am sculpting fully proportional and poseable bodies for Yoda and Leia. I am not using anything from the 12" Hasbro SW line but making everything from scratch instead. What can I say, I like a challenge! cool.gif
stonemonkey
I just started making resin casts from the Marmit Fett starting with the helmet. The new Hasbro one will probably make it a pointless endeavor - I might find some of those pieces are better. I hope to be able to cast all the main Fett parts - Why? Mandalore Army!! smile.gif

I finally started pulling more Marmit Sandtrooper casts again yesterday (Helmet,pauldron,shoulder armor) I need to redo the Helmet mold and my E11 Blaster mold is totally worn out so I need to redo that.

My list of figures needing some work or customization is 37 long (it was 50,) and that's just Star Wars. I keep just doing things not on the list. ohmy.gif

The figure I'm looking forward to doing most is a Dagobah arrival Luke - X-wing flight suit, wet, with blaster side-arm and a muddy R2. I've gat a Padme Arena figure going on too, for the hair I wrapped dolls hair around the packaging twist ties so I could mold the wierd shaped hair and replace the poop like mess we were given by Hasbro.
Sith Prop Lord
Stonemonkey, your Dagobah Luke and your arena Padme sounds awesome as well as the other items you are working on. Do you have pics of your customs or a website where they can be seen?. I'm looking forward to seeing your work wink.gif .
Master_phruby
I want to see them! I want to see them! biggrin.gif
Glassman6
I am not into doing 12" customs but i am planning on doing one. It will be a self custom. To add to my collcetion of me as a jedi. I have done 3 versions.
I plan to do a 12" and a vintage 3/4. The two areas i mostly stay away from.
I do follow some of the great( whom i consider to be) 12" customizers so i have something to shoot for when i attemt one.
stonemonkey
My Customs page

These are what I have so far - My favorites are the Vader, Snowtrooper and Ben. The Boba Fett is the one that needs the most work IMO. I have seen some really great Boba Fett customs before smile.gif .

I can't wait to see your custom bodies Sith Prop Lord what materials do you think you'll use?
Sith Prop Lord
Your Obi-wan and Snowtrooper are simply awesome! The paint job on Obi-wan is great, what base coat did you use for it? It has a nice smooth glow to it.
I am making my custom bodies with a Super Sculpey variation over a wire frame. The sculpting process was done with key markings to show where I would be attaching ball joints. I'll mold the finish sculpt and then get a wax pull so that I can carve out the actual ball joint housing. It should work out fine, at least that's what I am hoping unsure.gif .
savrip
QUOTE (stonemonkey @ Jun 14 2004, 01:37 PM)
My Customs page

These are what I have so far - My favorites are the Vader, Snowtrooper and Ben. The Boba Fett is the one that needs the most work IMO. I have seen some really great Boba Fett customs before smile.gif .

I can't wait to see your custom bodies Sith Prop Lord what materials do you think you'll use?

Those are some highly detailed 12"ers. I probably would have started collecting the 12" line if Hasbro would have made them as good as you do. The dirty look helps them a ton (the real dirt, not the splatter paint Hasbro uses).
stonemonkey
Thanks very much and I agree about the quality of Hasbro's attempts. The first 12" I got was a white pad Sandtrooper and I only got it because I saw someone else had modified it to look halfway decent (anyone else have severe Marmit envy back then?).

But hey that's one of the reasons why we customize 'em! biggrin.gif

I collected Action Man in the UK so I was drawn to the 12" scale. I wish Hasbro gave us better 12" figures like the many Military figures available now -Dragon, BBI etc... It seems they decided on making cheap toys rather than Collector grade -Shame because they could charge more and they would be very popular I suspect -forgive me the rant that has been said a million times.

Luke
CorranHorn
QUOTE (stonemonkey @ Jun 14 2004, 12:37 PM)
My Customs page

stonemonkey,

those are some really impressive 12" customs you've made. very innovative use of parts such as the pvc piping on the Sandtrooper and the shampoo cap on the Vader. your painting drastically improves the hasbro sculpts, in the cases of armor/clothing giving the proper "worn" look of the SW universe and in the cases of the heads sometimes bringing out great sculpts like Obi-Wan who in one pic looks downright sinister!

not being a 12" collector, I wonder why Hasbro just didn't bother using what appears to be the superior GI Joe bodies for their SW line....

Happy Customizing!
NorthernJedi
Nice work! I have only tried my hand at one 12" custom so far....

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~kuppem/customs/tessek.htm

I want to try more, if I could only find the time!
Master_phruby
Maureen, if you didn't tell me that was 12" figure I would have sworen it was the potj version. It looks exact! When are you going to make some more?
stonemonkey

That is an amazing job - love the recipe for it too. I hope you find the time to make more too.
savrip
QUOTE (NorthernJedi @ Jun 15 2004, 01:17 PM)

You sound like you just whipped that up Maureen. That's an amazing custom. I had to read the soup can part twice. I was laughing too hard I guess. laugh.gif
BillyRay
Some of you may have already seen this over at RS, but I have a 12" ANH Han in the works right now. I've been wanting to do one for a while and finally tracked down one of those ugly Quick Draw Hans to use as a springboard. The boots and blaster are excellent, the costume is alright (except for the gaping hole in the back of his shirt and vest), but (as we all well know) the head and body are atrocious!

I wanted to get a Han head from Frontline, but sadly they are no longer selling them (though a younger, ANH style, Han head may be in the works for next year they said). With no where else to turn, that left me with the ugly mug on quick draw Han or the semi-better one from the older 12" Han. I decided to see what I might be able to do with the quick-draw, ugly, head. First I stripped all the paint off (no easy task), except for some of the hair. Even with the horrible paint job gone he still had those huge chipmunk cheeks to deal with. Knowing I couldn't possibly make it any worse I took the Dremel to his noggin and gave him some jowl reduction surgery. His face looked like it was chisled out of rock after that so I broke out the sand paper and, after many hours of shaping and smoothing, here are the results...

Not perfect, but vastly improved! I am pretty happy with the results and should be painting it sometime this week.

Next, after seeing a couple really nice custom gunbelts, I took a crack at making one of my own. I hadn't sewed anything since sixth grade (mandatory) home economics, so it was quite a daunting task. I used a piece of "leather" that was the lining for an old hard hat I had in the garage. It worked quite nicely and was just the right amount of material, but it was a P.I.T.A. to sew through. After about a week's worth of numb finger tips, scrounging of parts, and digging up pictures of the props here is my best effort...

It's not 100% movie accurate, but I am pretty pleased with it, and it's still better than Hasbro's. I redid the buckle last night since I took these pics, as it was really too big.

Anyway, I will hopefully update with completed pics once I get the head painted and the whole figure assembled. Since this is only my second 12" custom ( here is my first), any constructive criticism on my work so far would be greatly appreciated.
BillyRay
QUOTE (stonemonkey @ Jun 14 2004, 11:37 AM)
My Customs page

Great stuff there Stonemonkey! That Stormtrooper and Vader are awesome! I have that Vader shampoo bottle and am always looking at it and thinking "hmmm..."

Your ANH Han and Obi-Wans look (dare I say it) just as good as Tony's! Great work! Tony's "How to" on RS helped me a great deal on my first custom, a 12" Indiana Jones, as I knew absolutley nothing about making a 12" custom, or painting heads, or anything else for that matter.

Tony's "How to", CustomDawg's tutorials, and a few others like some resin horse painting sites really helped me out a lot.
stonemonkey
Thanks BillyRay. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that great looking ANH Han.
NorthernJedi
Thanks for the compliments, guys...I hope I can find some time this summer to do more...as well as fodder. Finding 12"ers are hard enough in Canada to come by, never mind duplicates to cut up!!!!

smile.gif
Sith Prop Lord
NorthernJedi, that is a very creative custom biggrin.gif . I hope you do find time to make more.
BillyRa, I am looking forward to seeing your Han Solo once it's completed. The work done on his holster is great.
BillyC
QUOTE (CorranHorn @ Jun 11 2004, 11:48 PM)
Even though I'm not into 12", I'm really interested as well in knowing what's going into the Corran Horn (for obvious reasons tongue.gif). Also for your Jedi Luke, are you just repainting the head or is there more to it?

I have a custom Jedi Luke head to paint. I'm adding a Ben belt and Imp Officer boots. I'm also adding a Joe body and will be modifying the suit.

With the exception for the head I’ll be doing this…
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=t...kejedifront.jpg

Tony DiTerlizzi’s work is fantastic!

Billy
CorranHorn
QUOTE (BillyC @ Jun 18 2004, 08:09 AM)
QUOTE (CorranHorn @ Jun 11 2004, 11:48 PM)

I have a custom Jedi Luke head to paint. I'm adding a Ben belt and Imp Officer boots. I'm also adding a Joe body and will be modifying the suit.

With the exception for the head I’ll be doing this…
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=t...kejedifront.jpg

Tony DiTerlizzi’s work is fantastic!

Billy

Billy,

That looks like a pretty sweet Luke, can't wait to see your interpretation.

Happy Customizing!
Sith Prop Lord
Tony DiTerlizzi did an awesome job painting that Luke head. Too bad the head is just too big for that body, it almost looks like a bobblehead figure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.