Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Republic Commando - How Do I?
F F U R G > Your Customs > 3.75" Scale Star Wars Customs
Delaton
For those who have customized Scorch into other Republic Commandos, I have a few questions:

1) How common are the Rep. Commandos in the SW universe? Would you ever see more than a 4 clone squad? Would they be mixed with other clones?

2) I've seen people switch the legs on Scorch with a regular clone's legs to make them more articulate. If I casted only the Head and Chest armor of a Scorch figure, and replaced those parts on a regular clone, would the difference in the arm armor be different enough to notice and/or detract from the overall sculpt of a "standard clone"?
dark jedi ben
1) How common are the Rep. Commandos in the SW universe? Would you ever see more than a 4 clone squad? Would they be mixed with other clones?

well, they arent to common in the star wars universesome sources say they are like 65 squadrons beacuse they were used as front soldiers during the battle of geonosis and most of them died, they are only for members in each squad, in my personal point of view beacuse of military strategy I dont think so, maybe for reinforcements units in hard situations

2) I've seen people switch the legs on Scorch with a regular clone's legs to make them more articulate. If I casted only the Head and Chest armor of a Scorch figure, and replaced those parts on a regular clone, would the difference in the arm armor be different enough to notice and/or detract from the overall sculpt of a "standard clone"?

they would be very noticed since the arms armor is bulkier but you can try over sculpting it
theplasticone
Republic Commandos operate in four-man squads, but there have been some cases where several squads were deployed as a platoon, and there's evidence all over the place that sometimes one squad wasn't enough for the job. There's also this short story that features a five-man squad; I'm not a fan, personally.

Delta and Omega squad operated with the Null ARC troopers, and towards the end of Triple Zero, MINOR SPOILER Omega picked up a new assignment with the Galactic Marines /MINOR SPOILER. Regular clone pilots (though attached to the special forces brigades) transport them wherever they need to go. All squads eventually fall under companies (Delta and Omega are part of 05 Commando Battalion in General Zey's Special Ops Brigade).

All the training sergeants had batches of 104 commandos. How many RC-training sergeants there were we don't know (there were a hundred in total, but not all of them had their own batches). By a year into the war, however, over half of them had been killed. That, and the fact that they participate in a lot of classified/black ops missions, leads me to think that sightings of commandos are rare. If you see a commando, you'll either be dead in half a second, the mission's not classified, or he's on parade.
Coota0
QUOTE (Delaton @ Jun 14 2006, 06:54 PM)
For those who have customized Scorch into other Republic Commandos, I have a few questions:

In Triple Zero they worked with a couple of "regular" clones, but I don't think it's SOP.
darthfloyd
technically, they worked with ONE clone. It was Delta Squad, Omega Squad, two Null ARC troopers (Mereel and Ordo), and one regular (injured) clone, who I think was named something that started with a C. They decided to make train him as an RC as well.

EDIT - I should state that I mean the only clone they worked with was the one. The ARC's aren't even normal ARC's...they're a special group that was grown more deadly than normal clones.
theplasticone
QUOTE (darthfloyd @ Jun 15 2006, 05:43 PM)
technically, they worked with ONE clone.  It was Delta Squad, Omega Squad, two Null ARC troopers (Mereel and Ordo), and one regular (injured) clone, who I think was named something that started with a C.  They decided to make train him as an RC as well.

Corr was his name, and he was an extremely special circumstance. The book also opened with two pilots, one of which was named (Sicko) and known to be attached to Special Forces. From Fi's musings in Triple Zero, the commandos (at least) are cooped up in their barracks until needed. Like I said, if you see a Republic Commando, there's a reason for it. They don't just take sunset walks on the beach every night.
smartypants1635
Beach, on kamino?, yeah I'd like to see it tongue.gif
darthfloyd
something tells me there may be ONE beach on Kamino...its like a little island or something...and its the only land above water. Then again, I may be wrong.

Corr, that's right! I forgot his name, even though I thought of it this morning when I first read this thread...
Jesse James
Del, you've gotten some good advice so far I think...

For the issue of arms, I think the Commando armor on the arms is different enough it really requires its own casting which I think you could pull off actually but it is definitely a bit different than a regular trooper's armor. The legs though are practically identical... I'd say that in "reality" they are identical but Hasbro sculptors made the CC's a hair larger, but barely noticeable.

I'd personally say that there's more than what EU implies on CC squads (and other Spec. Ops teams). I find that Star Wars writers seem to underestimate scope/scale in Star Wars IMO, and I feel they miss the mark with that then. So I'd say there's tons of CC's in the grand scheme of things, but they're not nearly as abundant as the regulars.

In the Rep. Commando game, COmmandoes interacted with regular Clones routinely... Usually because they ran across them fighting the main battle as they progressed on their way to their specific objective... But if you wanted to focus on real-world precedent though, one could point out that our US Spec. Forces often are sent in to back up a Marine Platoon or whatnot if they are in the vicinity and not otherwise pre-occupied... Their expertise can be the push over the top for a bogged down regular military unit.

The real purposes of Commandoes though (Spec. Ops in general) vary greatly... Not usually as a support team for a regular military unit, but for instance the Army Rangers in WW2 landed on D-Day with the specific and dangerous task of taking out some artillery on a cliff, clearing paths fo the infantry, securing the beachhead... Same with the Airborne and their "special" tasks in Normandy on D-Day... Commandoes would act in those roles, but really I'd say they're more comparable to modern spec. forces (Navy SEALS, US Army Spec. Forces, etc.) that work in small "teams".

I'm curious to see what your project is man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.