Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Moldy Crow scratchbuild
Darko
post Mar 23 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,112

(Been awhile since I posted here, but I actually made a Star Wars custom!)

This was my first scratch-build project, and it's finally done!

I've wanted a toy version of the Moldy Crow for a long, long time. Dark Forces was the first computer game I ever played (way back in junior high), and still remains one of my favorites today. I, of course, also loved its sequels, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy, and for years made modifications for all of them. I knew Hasbro would never release a Moldy Crow toy, but I also couldn't find base vehicles that were close enough to kitbash. So it made a perfect scratch-build project.

With a few small exceptions, the whole thing is made from sheet styrene (HobbyTown probably got pretty sick of seeing me every other day or so). The only things not scratch built are the seats (from the ROCC), the control panel, the hatch on top, and the mount for the gun (all from an unfortunate Weather Dominator). I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and it goes great with the super-articulated Kyle Katarn I made awhile back.

Here are way too many WIP pictures, if you're interested:
http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic...=14&t=28007

And here's the finished thing. Some of these pictures are awful, some are just bad. Unfortunately, this thing is a [censored] to get a good shot of.

(some poses may require hand support)

(the best shot I could get of the inside of the cockpit)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 24 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #2

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Darko @ Mar 23 2011, 05:33 PM) *
And here's the finished thing. Some of these pictures are awful, some are just bad. Unfortunately, this thing is a [censored] to get a good shot of.

I believe you're looking for either poo.gif or censored.gif

hypocrite.gif

I love Dark Forces, and Dark Forces II (it was SUBTITLED Jedi Knight), and Mysteries of the Sith, the last of the "expansion" packs ever to be made. The ship has grown from being where you run from to the mission to the cut scenes where it acted as much as a Millenium Falcon type breifings in the first game.

Anyways I love it. I'm still struggling with how to do fins on my own project and I now know who to ask. dry.gif

I do disagree, I do think you could do a decent Crow using a ROC Night Raven and some Sebulba pod rader engines with a lot of work (probably would be easier to do it your way in the end).

Now, you really need a Jan Orrs.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
TND
post Mar 24 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #3

Customizing General

Member No.: 153

incredible. love the ship!!! Do you have any plans? (might they be located in the main computer?)
I'd like to see some more shots of the cockpit. and more detailed shots in general. ( try getting some blue, green, or white posterboard to make a base and a backdrop...use some natural lighting. take some good macro shots. use a tripod or a book to stabilize the camera. )

how'd you paint this thing?

Though this is a fantastic rendition of this heretofore unreproduced ship, I do have a couple of critiques. First, the cockpit glass should be less smudged. Secondly I always envisioned this ship to be bigger...with a bigger payload area, similar to the size of the imperial shuttles. I'm not sure what you used for your measurements or if you were maybe just going for a "toy" feel, which would be expected to be out of scale.

Great work. thanks for sharing.

DS

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 24 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #4

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (TND @ Mar 24 2011, 12:55 PM) *
Though this is a fantastic rendition of this heretofore unreproduced ship, I do have a couple of critiques. First, the cockpit glass should be less smudged. Secondly I always envisioned this ship to be bigger...with a bigger payload area, similar to the size of the imperial shuttles. I'm not sure what you used for your measurements or if you were maybe just going for a "toy" feel, which would be expected to be out of scale.

Great work. thanks for sharing.

DS

I would either go clear or black for the windows depending on the graphic reference used. And I agree with the general scale comments here, but eventually you have to make compromises, Hasbro always has. The BMF still isn't close to scale relative to the X-Wings, Snow Speeders, Cloud Cars etc which are.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Seeker
post Apr 3 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,711

Would be nice to get a clear shot of the open cockpit or the bottom hull area.

Nice job.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Apr 4 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #6

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

I think this a lot, even more since you've inspired me to move this one up my list, right behind the E-Wing, SPMA-T Walker, Assault Gunboat, Hounds Tooth, and Mist Hunter. laugh.gif

One thing I think it could benefit from is more detail in and around the engine. They look pretty smooth on the ends where you'd expect intakes and exhaust openings.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Apr 7 2011, 03:03 AM
Post #7

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Outstanding man, and the scale looks really accurate... The Crow's a pretty dinky craft in the Star Wars universe, almost a tandem fighter looking ship more than a transport or anyhthing, and it's one of my favorite designs (and names, loved that name) from the EU. I forget if the latter Katarn Game series ever established a new ship for Katarn, as he lost the Moldy Crow in Jedi Knight, but to me it'll forever be his signature craft.

You nailed just about every detail of that early PC animated vehicle too... My favorite footage is from Jedi Knight but you have to factor detail elements from Dark Forces into it as well.

Anyway, really outstanding work... I'd love to see some cockpit detail images better if you could share.

Also you need to clean those fingerprints up on the windows! thumbup.gif Seriously though, I know how it is with the clear plastic... Nothing smudges like it. Not even glass. censored.gif

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post
darthschroeder
post May 23 2011, 02:58 AM
Post #8

Co-Founder

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Beautiful scratchbuild, Darko!

+Quote Post
rogue1
post May 25 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #9

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,387

Fantastic job! How about some close-up shots of the various areas?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:31 AM || Skin by Metalaxe