Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mousedroid-Hoojib's non-SW customs
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Nov 14 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #41

Customizing Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,283

Numbers and dates mean a great deal to me, so when I noticed that this coming weekend was the first anniversary of my first custom 3.75" figure - "Lucky Lekku" - I figured that I should probably do something to celebrate, namely finally attempting my first 1/6 scale custom. As such, here is Molly Mahoney as played by Natalie Portman in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium:

Recipe:

* Triad Toys Eva (for the head)
* Mattel Barbie Fashionistas Swappin' Styles Cutie (for the body, sans head)
* Mattel Barbie I Can Be Animal Trainer (for the shoes)
* some material

I don't think that I'm going to be permanently (or even temporarily, for that matter) changing scale to 12", but it was fun to put together this figure - even if clothes for 1/6 scale figures require three times the number of stitches in seams compared to the corresponding costume at 1/18 scale!

While the Eva body features more articulation than a Fashionistas Barbie (but not by a huge margin, particularly given the price difference), I couldn't bring myself to use a body with such well defined pointy-outy and foldy-inny bits for this particular character, hence the cheaper option. The remainder of Eva may get used for something a little more risque in future.

The costume worn would be considered to be just off-screen, as although it is based upon the outfit that Molly wore through the middle section of the movie, it is just different enough to be something new. The main differences are the lack of the "Bright Eyes" pattern on the overshirt, the different coloured shoes and a slightly different pattern to the apron.

I think that this has come out pretty well for a first attempt, although the belt perhaps adds a little too much bulk around the waist that is only visible without the apron on.

I wonder whether I should try Molly Mahoney in the smaller scale at some point in the future just to keep things interesting?

Thanks for taking the time to look, and in particular, comment on this and all of the other customs I've completed over the last 12 months.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Nov 19 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #42

Customizing Knight

The crew of the Serenity is one step closer to being complete with the addition of the mysterious Shepherd Book:

Recipe:

* TCW Captain Rex (heavily modified, for the head and entire body sans hands)
* Marvel Universe Spider-Woman (!!!) (for the hands)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Grave Yard Earth", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Codex Grey", "Mithril Silver")

This is a pretty simple figure that has come out as well as I am likely to get it. I ground down Captain Rex's chin and replaced it with clay, which along with the different coloured paint, the removal of the furrowed brow and the addition of some hair, has completely changed the look. There was a brief moment where I was tempted to give him "too much hair" but thought that might be a bridge too far, particularly when he will be displayed alongside River.

"I've been out of the abbey two days. I've beaten a lawman senseless. Fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong."

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Dec 3 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #43

Customizing Knight

For a bit of fun, here is the one and only Bruce Campbell celebrating his Scottish heritage:

Recipe:

* Palisades Army Of Darkness Splitting Ash (modified, for the head)
* Marvel Universe House Of M Spider-Man (for the entire body)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Codex Grey", "Elf Flesh")

I know that this technically isn't a Clan Campbell tartan, but it was the best that I could come up with. The material is from a Barbie Fashionistas Ken shirt, dyed with Dark Green Ink - who knew that getting 1:18 scale tartan would be so hard? At least the pleat in the kilt came out nicely; perhaps I need to go back and revisit some of my failed earlier attempts at pleated skirts.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Dec 11 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #44

Customizing Knight

For my second 1/6 (12") scale figure, here is Stephanie Brown in her Batgirl guise:

Recipe:

* Barbie Fashionistas Cutie Barbie (for the entire figure)
* TCW Captain Rex (for the missile which became the Eskrima truncheon)
* Mattel Batman Begins Batman (for the Batarang)
* some material, ribbon and a button
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Ultramarines Blue", "Bleached Bone", "Red Gore")

There were a couple of occasions in putting this figure together where I was tempted to give up and walk away given the difficulty of getting the purple pieces of the costume to mesh nicely with the black bodysuit, but once I battled through, I ended up with a piece which is significantly better than I had originally hoped for. The ears on the cowel were a happy accident which while perhaps closer to Catwoman's, still work in the context of the character. Likewise the belt, and particularly the buckle - a 1:1 button stitched to the belt and covered with a piece of material - was something else that turned out far better than it realistically had any right to. I don't think that I am going to be permanently switching away from 3.75" figures any time soon, but it is indeed fun playing at this much larger scale.

Batgirl helps protect Gotham using not only her skills from years of training, but with her array of Electro-gooperangs:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Dec 27 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #45

Customizing Knight

Here are the superhero Dysfunctional Duo Lovebunny and Mr Hell as created by Tim Seeley and published by Devil's Due and later Image Comics:

You can read a 9 page preview of the recently re-coloured trade paperback version of Lovebunny and Mr Hell at CBR, and if you are so inclined, there are some details for a BESM game here that provides a bit more detail of the strengths and weaknesses of the characters.

Recipe - Lovebunny:
* Dragonball Evolution Bulma (modified, for the head and feet)
* GI Joe ROC Baroness (modified, for the body sans head, feet and left forearm)
* TCW Anakin Skywalker (modified, for the left forearm)
* some wire
* some wool
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Burnished Gold", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Blood Red")

Recipe - Mr Hell:
* Austwide Toys "Destroyer Series" Zombie (modified, for the head)
* Austwide Toys "World Jurassic" T.Rex (for the neck, chest and arms)
* Big W "Sea World" Octopus (modified, for the bottom part of the tentacles)
* Big W "Sea World" Starfish (modified, for the top part of the tentacles)
* some household plastic
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Rotting Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Vomit Brown", "Catachan Green", "Goblin Green")

This is a relatively simple set of figures that has come out reasonably well. While the paint of Lovebunny isn't perfect, particularly around the joints, I finally managed to get a pleated skirt looking half decent at 3.75" scale. Mr Hell's robes shouldn't technically show his arms, but he did look a little bland otherwise. For those interested, his body is actually an empty roll-on deodorant container that has had the various appendages glued on.

Lovebunny and Mr Hell prepare to save the world from a teamup from Industrielle and the Pimpanzee:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Dec 31 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #46

Customizing Knight

Here is the younger Superman from DC Comics "New 52" reboot of Action Comics:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "Head-103 The boyscout"
* GI Joe Resolute Roadblock (modified, for the entire body sans head, feet and hands)
* GI Joe ROC Heavy Duty (for the feet)
* Marvel Universe Luke Cage (for the hands)
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Grave Yard Earth", "Red Gore", "Golden Yellow")

While I can't say that I am overly happy with the need to see Superman rebooted in comics form (and Action is one of the better titles in the reboot for mine), I am happy with the way that this figural representation of him has come out. His sleeves might be a touch too long, and the way that the pants stretch across the T join of his waist does make him look a little like he is happy to see Lois (or Lana, or Lori, or Luma), but beyond that, this has come out as well as I could have hoped.

"Whachootalkinbout, Lex?"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jan 7 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #47

Customizing Knight

As both an expirement in "gender re-assignment surgery" for 3.75" figures and because I am not yet confident enough to attempt a custom of my favourite comics character (Power Girl), here is Luma Lynai, a superhero from the planet Staryl in the Silver Age with whom Superman was set up with by Supergirl:

Recipe:

* GI Joe Resolute Firefly (very heavily modifed, for the entire body, sans head)
* Slayer Design Studio head
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Vomit Brown", "Burnished Gold", "Goblin Green")

Given that I seem to have much more male fodder than female, yet I tend to make more female characters than male, I thought that I would have a go at taking a smaller stature man and turning him into a muscular woman. Poor Firefly had his shoulders, chest, legs, waist and back ground down, then clay was added to build up breasts and hind quarters:

If you didn't know that the figure started out as male, you probably couldn't tell. I think that I made her assets a little too large, but given the similarities in costume to Peej, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Luma Lynai is strongest under the rays of the orange sun of Staryl:

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jan 8 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #48

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

I think she's bloated all over: arms, hips, breasts, thighs; given your source pictures.

And she better watch out for Lois, that girl go crazy when anyone tries to move in on her man. dry.gif

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jan 21 2012, 02:03 AM
Post #49

Customizing Knight

Here is the doctor on board the Firefly class vessel, Serenity - Simon Tam:

Recipe:

* Comic Pack Luke Skywalker (for the entire body, sans head and right hand)
* Vintage Collection Obi-Wan Kenobi (for the right hand)
* SlayerDesignStudio head
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Swarf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Scorched Brown")

Given that most of the costumes that Simon wears are analogous to modern business attire, I chose the costume that he wore through the middle section of Serenity for something different. I think that the outfit came out well, but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the likeness is there to Sean Mayer - I can't quite put my finger on who this looks like, but it does look like someone (The Professor from Gilligan's Island, Graham Norton and Mark Waugh might be top of the list).

Simon Tam foregoes a promising medical career to rescue his sister River from the clutches of The Alliance:

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jan 21 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (Mousedroid-Hoojib @ Jan 21 2012, 01:03 AM) *
Given that most of the costumes that Simon wears are analogous to modern business attire, I chose the costume that he wore through the middle section of Serenity for something different. I think that the outfit came out well, but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the likeness is there to Sean Mayer - I can't quite put my finger on who this looks like, but it does look like someone (The Professor from Gilligan's Island, Graham Norton and Mark Waugh might be top of the list).

I'm going with generic sixth or seventh year Hogwarts student. Pick the Harry Potter film.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jan 27 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #51

Customizing Knight

In 2002, a short-lived Birds Of Prey TV show was developed that, due to poor ratings, only lasted a total of 13 episodes. Whereas the comic version of BoP featured Helena Bertinelli as The Huntress, the TV version used the old (and now new again) Earth 2 concept of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle's daughter Helena (Wayne in comics, Kyle on TV) donning a revealing costume with inappropriate footwear and fighting crime. This is my version of the character.

Recipe:

* GI Joe Resolute Flint (heavily modified, for the entire body sans head and feet)
* GI Joe Rise Of Cobra Baroness (for the feet)
* Playmates Star Trek Checkov (modified, for the head)
* GI Joe Resolute Scarlett (for the crossbow)
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Elf Flesh", "Mithril Silver", "Blood Red")

Given that I seem to have much more male fodder than female, yet I tend to make more female characters than male, I thought that I would continue to experiment in "gender reassignment surgery" for 3.75" figures. The combination of Flint, Checkov and a rotary tool I think has come out pretty well:

The hairstyle didn't come out as I had originally planned, but still works in the context of the character. Huntress perhaps is a little too buxom in this incarnation, but I am explaining it away that she is wearing a particularly tight corset.

Huntress' cleavage is as much a weapon as her trusty crossbow:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Feb 5 2012, 01:24 AM
Post #52

Customizing Knight

For my third 12" scale figure, I thought that I would try my second Batgirl, this time Betty Kane, the Bat-Girl from the early Silver Age:

Recipe:

* Hayden Liv Doll
* Barbie Fashionista head and heels
* some modelling clay (to bulk up the chest a little)
* some foam (for the mask)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Ultramarines Blue", "Red Gore")

As with the Stephanie Brown Batgirl that I did previously, there were certainly occasions where I asked myself why I was subjecting myself to the pain of putting the costume together. "But it is a simple costume", I hear you say. Indeed it is, but making 1:6 scale stockings (which probably aren't even noticable in these pictures) is a right pain in the proverbial - the stockings ended up taking about twice as long to complete as making the rest of the outfit and doing a minor repaint on the face put together! Still, I'm glad that the finished product came out as nicely as it did. I wonder whether I should keep going and make all of the other Batgirls?

Batman may be "The (K)Night", but Bat-Girl may well be "The Christmas Eve".

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Feb 26 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #53

Customizing Knight

Throughout the 1980s, DC Comics re-used the names of a number of their Golden Age characters and repurposed them into more mature characters. One of these characters, Vigilante, was changed from his 1940's cowboy style incarnation to the vengeance seeking, increasingly amoral Adrian Chase, the subject of this particular custom:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Union Jack (modified, for the head)
* GI Joe ROC Snake Eyes (modified, for the entire body sans head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Bleached Bone", "Ultramarines Blue", "Blood Red")

The Vigilante seeks justice and is not afraid to resort to violence to achieve it.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 5 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #54

Customizing Knight

Here is Captain Jean-Luc Picard in his Star Trek: Generations era duty uniform:

Recipe:

* DragonBall Evolution Goku (modified, for the entire body sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Space Wolves Grey", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Burnished Gold", "Mithril Silver")

This is a pretty simple figure that has me torn - I am really happy with how the head has came out (it is a spectacular sculpt so it really wasn't hard to get the painted likeness right), but something seems a little off with how the costume falls, particularly around the hips and thighs when viewed front-on. The red on the shirt perhaps sits a little too low and I'm not sure that the comm-badge looks as nice painted onto the material as it may have if I sculpted something and glued it instead - I may have to revisit this in the near future.

"Warp one - Engage!"

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 6 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #55

The body is out of whack and the clothes which adds a layer of bulk pushes it further. Picard/Stewart is a small slight man. The body is too proportionally large for the head sculpt. You'll want to try something smaller and thinner if you go back

QUOTE (McCoy)
That's a big ship

QUOTE (Scotty)
Aye, but not as big as 'er capt'n
While about another time and another character, it does fit here. The persona/ship is much larger than the person of the captain of the D/E NCC-1701, thus the contradiction. The gentle flute playing, Shakespeare teaching, explorer/scientist wannabe who commands the most powerful ship in the fleet with authority and a decisiveness that he is the one captain that can with either a three word or one word phrase, make you and his crew jump to it.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 10 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #56

Customizing Knight

The more I think about it, the more I agree that the body for this figure was probably better suited to Billy T. Riker than the good Captain, what with the barrel chest and all. Almost certainly I will have to revisit this at some point.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 17 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #57

Customizing Knight

Here is Sara Pezzini, the bearer of the Witchblade, based upon how she appeared on one of the covers to issue 150:

Recipe:

* GI Joe Resolute Roadblock (very heavily modified, for the entire body sans head, feet and right hand)
* GI Joe ROC Storm Shadow (for the feet)
* Austwide Toys Destroyer Series Demon (modified, for the right hand)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Bestial Brown", "Tin Bitz", "Mithril Silver", "Burnished Gold", "Devlan Mud", "Ultramarines Blue", "Blood Red")

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 31 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #58

Customizing Knight

Here is the only legitimate businessperson aboard the Firefly class vessel, Serenity - the Companion, Inara Serra:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Phoenix (for the head)
* Legacy Collection Plourr Ilo (modified, for the entire body, sans head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Red Gore", "Skull White", "Chaos Black")

The costume here isn't one that Inara wore onscreen, but is reminiscent of something that she might have had in her wardrobe.

"You have no call trying to make me ashamed of my job. What I do is legal, and howĺs that smuggling coming?"

With the crew of the Serenity now complete, I thought that I would get them altogether for a group shot:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Apr 21 2012, 01:21 AM
Post #59

Customizing Knight

Here is He-Man's sister, the most powerful woman in the universe, She-Ra:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Spider-Woman (modified, for the entire body sans head)
* Slayer Design Studio "FemaleHead-21 PowerPrincess" head
* some modelling clay
* some household plastic
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Bubonic Brown", "Red Gore", "Ultramarines Blue", "Burnished Gold", "Mithril Silver", "Tin Bitz")

I wasn't happy with the first attempt at getting a pleated skirt sitting right on the figure so I ended up elaborating on the costume and going for a semi-transparent V shaped skirt, akin to that on the classic Starburst costume. It isn't accurate to the TV show, but it still is pretty obvious who is wearing it. Likewise, the Sword of Protection isn't perfect, but it too hopefully is close enough as to pass.

In comparison to the vintage Starburst She-Ra and the SDCC version:

"For the honour of Grayskull - I am She-Ra!"

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 21 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #60

Everything here is close enough and does pass (by me graduated.gif ). I jdon't like posts that are just compliments, but that's all I got here, this is some of your best work. I've modified more than my share of swords and knives for 3.75" and it's a pain as are anything where you try to paint metalics without priming. Metalics is possibly the only time where I would still recomend priming with acrylic and putting a finishing layer of the metalic in enamel. With the acrylic down, you get something the enamel can bond to and avoid the sticky mess.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 03:14 PM || Skin by Metalaxe