Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mousedroid-Hoojib's non-SW customs
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jul 3 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #21

Customizing Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,283

Next up is Kaylee Frye, the ship's mechanic on board the Firefly class vessel, Serenity:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio head "PO7-20 New7-20 - seren-5"

* TLC Plourr Ilo (modified, for the entire body, sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Red Gore", "Bestial Brown", "Chestnut Ink", "Bubonic Brown", "Burnished Gold", "Goblin Green")

I'm not sure that the likeness is quite there to Jewel Staite on this particular figure, but this is probably more my fault with the painting than with the sculpt itself.
While the different coloured pockets do stick out a little, I think that they give Kaylee the fun look that she always portrayed on the show. Plus, it would have been hard to paint the flower and teddy bear on the pockets if they were made from the same material as the rest of the jumpsuit.

"Shiny!"

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jul 5 2011, 04:26 AM
Post #22

Customizing Knight

Third time's the charm!

Given that the fishnet stockings on the last update were probably worse looking than the first frayed-sock attempt from back in March, I decided to once more revisit the Mistress of Magic in the DC Universe, Zatanna Zatara, and this time, I think that she is about as good as she is ever going to get.

While I had only intended to fix the stockings, I ended up pretty much re-doing the entire costume - the only original piece left now is the shirt and it has been modified to include a "ruffle" and a collar. The stockings are from a $2 shop sequined hair band which has had the sequins removed carefully and, as expected for the character, are the thing that stands out the most in this update.

I also repainted the face and while it is much improved, it still isn't quite perfect. Unfortunately, I think that re-visiting it again will only result in diminished returns given the thickness of the paint already.

"tub I t'nod tnaw ot eb detoober ni rebmetpes sa trap fo eht UnCD"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jul 10 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #23

Customizing Knight

Returning to the world of Sucker Punch, here is the other Australian lead, Abbie Cornish as Sweet Pea, perhaps the most important character in the film:

Recipe:

* Saga Padme Amidala Coruscant Attack (for the head, sans hair)
* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire body, sans head and one of the gauntlets for the thigh ammunition clip)
* TVC Darth Vader (for the shoulder armour - modified from the upper chest armour on Vader)
* ROC Storm Shadow (for the sword)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Elf Flesh", "Blood Red", "Burnished Gold", "Mithril Silver", "Kommando Khaki", "Brown Ink")

As with Baby Doll, I had to take some liberties with the costume due to scale. The corset should be laced and tied up at both the front and back, but thread turned out to look too large when sewn into the costume, thus it was left off. Without these ties, the underclothing - which I am quite proud of - gets to see a bit more light of day. Here is how that looked as a work in progress:

I also had to cheat a little with the hood. It should be connected to the shoulders but it interfered with the character's hair, thus I left it seperate. I think that this has come out quite well.

"Everyone has an angel"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jul 24 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #24

Customizing Knight

Returning to the DC Universe, here is Zinda Blake aka Lady Blackhawk, time displaced from the Golden Age to the modern day where she is a member of the Birds Of Prey:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Kitty Pryde (for the head)
* GI Joe ROC Cover Girl (for the entire body, sans head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Elf Flesh", "Bubonic Brown", "Bestial Brown", "Blood Red", "Burnished Gold")

While I'm happy with how this has come out, I would have liked to have done the pleated skirt properly. Unfortunately, as with the recent Baby Doll, the scale required did me in. I will get it right one day. Oh yes, I will get it right one day.

"I'm a Blackhawk"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jul 31 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #25

Customizing Knight

Once more back to the 'verse, here is the pilot of the Serenity, Hoban 'Wash' Washburne:

Recipe:

* Slayer Design Studio "PO7-16 New7-16 - seren-1"

* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard (for the chest and arms)
* ROTLA Indiana Jones (for the waist and legs)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Bubonic Brown", "Grave Yard Earth", "Blood Red", "Mithril Silver")

For a pretty simple figure, I think that this has come out well. The shirt is perhaps a little more outlandish than Wash might normally wear, but it still fits the character. With the sculpt being as good a likeness as it is, I think that it would have taken quite a bit to not have any figure using this particular head look like Alan Tudyk.

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Aug 6 2011, 01:10 AM
Post #26

Customizing Knight

Here is someone who probably needs no introduction - The Terminator:

Recipe:

* Slayer Design Studio "Head-35 I'll be back (sunglasses)"

* Marvel Universe Luke Cage (for the entire body, sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Regal Blue", "Dark Flesh", "Mithril Silver", "Blood Red", "Tin Bitz")

For such a simple figure, I think that this has come out well. 'Nuff said.

"This wasn't the sort of 'bike' that I wanted, but I will take what I can get especially while carrying such a girly-man gun"

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 6 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #27

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Mousedroid-Hoojib @ Aug 6 2011, 01:10 AM) *
"This wasn't the sort of 'bike' that I wanted, but I will take what I can get especially while carrying such a girly-man gun"

Hot wheels makes some decent 1/18 scale bikes that aren't too expensive. I use them for my Dreadnoks. There was a glut of 1/18 scale when everyone was trying to cash in on the custom chopper reality show glut a few years ago.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Aug 21 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #28

Customizing Knight

Returning to the 'verse once again, here is the first officer aboard the Serenity, Zoe Alleyne Washburne:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "PO7-22 New7-22 - seren-7"

* GI Joe ROC Baroness (modified, for the entire body sans head and feet)
* TAC Jango Fett (for the feet)
* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the wrist gauntlets which became the belt ammunition clips)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Red Gore", "Burnished Gold", "Bestial Brown", "Scorched Brown", "Grave Yard Earth")

This is a pretty simple figure that has probably finished up better than it had any right to. I'm really happy in particular with how the pants here have come out - I typically use lycra/spandex for pants, but on this particular figure, found that the material was riding up her... ummm... places so I switched instead to a more rigid material, making it a bit looser than normal. This has allowed for some natural looking folds below the knees which is an unexpected bonus.

"At last. We can retire and give up this life of crime."

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Aug 27 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #29

Customizing Knight

Expanding away from the DC Universe but staying within the realms of comics, here is Madame Mirage as she appeared in her mini-series from Top Cow of a couple of years ago:

Recipe:

* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire body sans feet and hair)
* GI Joe ROC Baroness (for the feet)
* TCW Cad Bane (for the hat)
* GI Joe ROC Cover Girl (for the pistol)
* Barbie Fashionistas "Swappin' Styles Sporty" head (for the hair)
* some material
* some beads
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Blood Red")

I'm not quite satisfied with the thickness of the hair on her right hand side in particular but excepting that, I think that this has come out well. I just hope that between this and the recent Nyrat Agira that I haven't unleashed a precedent that my customs need to have non-solid hair - I've still got bits of Barbie hair glued to my fingers that are sure to raise some eyebrows!

Madame Mirage is ready to kick backside in her quest for justice:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Sep 4 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #30

Customizing Knight

I figured that I probably should post these here - apologies if you've seen them before - my entries from the SlayerDesignStudio "Shadows of the Night" competition:

"Bob" B'achnar-Fuldten, corporate accounts clerk:

Sarai the succubus:

When the current "Space/Sci-Fi" competition finishes on the SlayerDesignStudio site shortly, I will post my three entries from it here as well.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Sep 10 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #31

Customizing Knight

Here is one of the great Golden Age comics characters who still holds up as well now as he did back then - The Spirit as created by Will Eisner in 1940:

Recipe:

* The Corps Kenji "Shinto" Rain (for the head, decapitated, lobotomised and clean shaven)
* GI Joe ROC Storm Shadow (Paris Pursuit) (for the body, sans head, forearms and feet)
* TVC Sandtrooper (for the forearms, hands and feet)
* ROTLA Indiana Jones (for the hat)
* some ribbon
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Regal Blue")

With the character having a relatively simple look, I wanted to test myself in making more realistic fitting shirts and pants than I have tried before and I think that the results have come out quite well. While the pictures don't really accentuate it, the shirt has a breast pocket (which actually works!) and a front seam with simulated buttons, while the pants have a fly (which admittedly does kinda-sorta look like he is "flying low" with) and better belt straps than I have tried previously. The Windsor Knot in the tie was a pain in the proverbial and is perhaps a little distracting, but I had to try it.

The Spirit protects Central City from the criminal element.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Sep 24 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #32

Customizing Knight

Here is River Tam as she appeared in the episode "Safe":

Recipe:

* River from the Dark Horse Serenity PVC Set (for the head; modified)
* TVC Princess Leia (for the entire body, sans head; modified)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Red Gore", "Mithril Silver", "Scorched Brown", "Chestnut Ink")

For a simple figure, I think that this has come out pretty well. To get the distressed look for the jumper, I brushed it with some sandpaper which scuffed it up appropriately.

"They weren't cows inside. They were waiting to be, but they forgot. Now they see sky, and they remember what they are."

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Oct 2 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #33

Customizing Knight

Not all of the TV shows from the late 70s have aged as gracefully as their creators no doubt thought they might, but one which can still bring laughs (and more on occasions) to me at least is Mork & Mindy:

Recipe:

* Dragonball Evolution Goku 2 (for the head, modified)
* Dragonball Evolution Yamcha (for the body sans head, modified)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Red Gore", "Mithril Silver")

While the likeness to Robin Williams isn't perfect (although it is not much worse than the vintage 3.75" figure from Mattel), I am really happy with how this figure has turned out. The silver material - sourced from some heavily clearanced lingerie - works nicely against the one piece lycra jumpsuit, giving it a look very similar to that seen on screen. I probably should have added a seam down the middle of the silver to match the source even closer but that is probably overkill at this scale. The egg-ship was a last minute thing put together for a bit of fun - it is a tight fit, but Mork can pilot it.

"Nanoo, nanoo"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Oct 9 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #34

Customizing Knight

Here is Catwoman as she appeared through the late Golden Age and into the Silver Age (and on Earth 2 where she was Batman's wife and Huntress' mother):

Recipe:

* GI Joe ROC Baroness (for the head, modified)
* DragonBall Evolution Bulma (for the entire body, sans head, modified)
* some material
* some wire
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Blood Red", "Liche Purple", "Scorched Brown")

It's a pretty simple figure that I think has come out reasonably well. The Bulma body isn't greatly articulated, but I don't think that it hurts here.

Catwoman leaves behind a life of crime to become one of Gotham City's ever growing cast of heroes:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Oct 22 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #35

Customizing Knight

Here is the titular character from Hudson Hawk:

Recipe:

* TVC Darth Vader (for the entire body sans head, modified)
* Slayer Design Studio "Male Head 78"

* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Grave Yard Earth", "Scorched Brown", "Mithril Silver")

My wife gave me my first Dremel for our fifth anniversary (it's a silver Stylus, so it technically fits what is appropriate for that length of time if you squint) so for a bit of fun, I took one of the umpteen duplicate Darth Vaders from my fodder collection and turned him into a something less Darth Vader-y. It's not perfect, but I needed to start somewhere and why not start with the lead from a highly underrated movie?

"This is a brand new tuxedo!"

"Toll booth!"

"Exact change?"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Nov 1 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #36

Customizing Knight

Here is Liandra, the titular character from Peter David's Fallen Angel comic:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "Dav-12 Frost" head
* Marvel Universe Spider Woman (for the entire body, sans head and wings)
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Blood Red", "Red Gore")

It's been a while since I've been totally frustrated with a custom - this one really gave me the irrits as pretty much everything that could have gone wrong with the figure did at some point. In the end, I was just happy to get her complete, as the straps on her arms and legs were fraying badly (no matter how much nail polish was applied), the paint was rubbing at places where there were no joints, and the cloak, while not completely accurate to the comic, was becoming very difficult to work with given its bulkiness. It's not a terrible figure, although there is certainly room for improvement.

Liandra protects Bete Noire from the forces of evil:

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Nov 5 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Mousedroid-Hoojib @ Nov 1 2011, 12:46 AM) *
It's been a while since I've been totally frustrated with a custom - this one really gave me the irrits as pretty much everything that could have gone wrong with the figure did at some point.

poo.gif

QUOTE ('Forrest Gump')
It happens.

And there generally isn't any censored.gif censored.gif reason for it either.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Nov 5 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #38

Customizing Knight

Being a lifelong Wonder Woman fan, when I first heard rumours about a new TV series being made, I was as much interested in the potential merchandise as the product itself. Although the first reviews of the script suggested that I should lower my hopes, when it was announced that Adrianne Palicki was cast as the lead and her costume was shown, it was impossible to not maintain at least a decent bit of enthusiasm. As history now tells us, the pilot that was filmed was, as the script suggests, not particularly good and thus it was not picked up by NBC. Still, seeing some of the footage that has leaked makes me wonder (pardon the pun) what might have been had the series progressed, and what sort of figures might have been released to market to accompany it.

And if you haven't seen any footage, here is a nice home-cut sequence of some of the best bits to the tune of the 1970s version of the TV show

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio "Female Head #44" (modified to remove the ponytail)

* Barbie Fashionistas "Swappin' Styles Sporty" head (for the hair)
* Marvel Universe Spider-Woman (for the body, sans head and hands)
* TCW Captain Rex (modified, for the hands)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Blood Red", "Burnished Gold")

While I think that the figure has come out as well as I'm likely to get it at the moment, there are some obvious areas for improvement - the boots are too wide around the ankles, giving them a look right out of the 1977 Mego catalog; the clay armour is a little bulky in comparison to the plastic of the 1:1 version, with the decorations on them perhaps being too splotchy in application; and while I'm slowly getting better with using "hair" on figures of this scale, it isn't quite as smoothly applied as it should be. Still, with Mattel not likely to be visiting this incarnation of the character anytime soon, it is not like there is anything to compare this figure to in 1/18th scale.

Although Wonder Woman may be on a mission of peace to "Man's World", she is not above using violence to spread her message:

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Nov 6 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #39

I think this is a case where the soft goods pants down't work. Yes it is your signature, but it makes her thighs (and wonderful assets) dry.gif look way out of proportion to the "patriotic" S&M sex kitten overtones her costume gives her. The tightness of the boots and pants are part of her look.

Brings up another question, why does she have the uber-american theme but she's Greek (or close enough) right being Amazonian? One of those things that bugs me about her "story".

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Nov 6 2011, 01:19 AM
Post #40

Customizing Knight

Thanks for the feedback, pbarny. It is greatly appreciated to know what other people think works, or in this case, doesn't.

As to the outfit, Post-Crisis, the symbolism of Wonder Woman's costume came from the Amazons mistaking the insignia on a downed US plane as the standard of a "warrior" (Diana Trevor) who helped save one of their own (Phillipa) during a battle with Cottus. As a sign of respect, this standard was incorporated into the armour used when the Amazon's envoy ventured out into the world.

Sometimes it is best not to dig too much into the backstory or symbolism of comics characters though given the number of times that retcons occur over their lifetimes. While people get mightily annoyed with the never ending changes to the Star Wars saga on each subsequent release, can you imagine how frustrated they would be if The Maker made seemingly yearly changes to his characters in the same way that DC and other publishers do with theirs in comics form? There have been three completely different backstories presented for Wonder Woman in the last year and bit alone with the implication from the most recently published issue that she was not made from clay by Hippolyta, but was instead fathered by Zeus!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 05:32 AM || Skin by Metalaxe