Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mousedroid-Hoojib's non-SW customs
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Feb 27 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #1

Customizing Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,283

For something a little different, I thought that I would try doing a custom figure from outside of the SW universe who could probably fit into it without any trouble - Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly and Serenity. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see him sitting in a cantina on Tatooine looking for work that puts him at odds with the Empire.

Recipe:

* Mal from the Dark Horse Serenity PVC set (for the head)
* TAC Jango Fett (for the chest and arms and part of the pistol)
* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard (for the waist and legs)
* Hasbro ROTLA Indiana Jones (for the belt - made from the strap of his satchel - and part of the pistol)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Kommando Khaki", "Red Gore", "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Scorched Brown", "Brown Ink", "Boltgun Metal")

I'm really happy with how this guy came out, although the Browncoat itself could probably be a little bit better. I'm not quite sure how I could improve on it at my current skill level though.

And just for fun:

"I aim to misbehave"

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Feb 28 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #2

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

Did you keep the neck post from the Jango and place the head over it? Checkout http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=3617 on some tips of converting a head to fit a post. If a PVC has a hollow head then putty filler might be needed.

I like the jacket and the design of the whole figure. The only other option I can think of for a jacket would be dyeing an Endor Han/Trooper cloth jacket.

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Feb 28 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #3

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (tonphanan @ Feb 28 2011, 08:58 PM) *
I like the jacket and the design of the whole figure. The only other option I can think of for a jacket would be dyeing an Endor Han/Trooper cloth jacket.

Take Esther's pattern for Jedi robes, don't add a hood. It is how I created my Holi-droids and holi-Vader. Sewing machine...definitely sewing machine. I may buy one for my wife just for the manufacturing of jedi robes, but she thinks it is to hem pants for the baby as he grows. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dry.gif

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 1 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Customizing Knight

Thanks for the replies, tonphanan and pbarny.

I'm still not quite confident enough to be using power tools on 3.75" figures just yet, so I cheated a bit with this particular head in that I cut the ball off of Jango's neck, drilled a tiny hole into the stub that was left, fed some picture wire into it, then matched the (non-hollow) PVC head up against the neck, drilled a corresponding hole into it and pushed it all together. There is still sideways movement - and a tiny bit of up/down - so articulation wasn't overly sacrificed, plus it doesn't look too bad all things considered.

No doubt I will attempt hollowing out figure heads in future so thanks for the link.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 1 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Hollowing heads is probably the most basic "power tool" procedure you use. You don't even need a dremmel. I use taped drill bits. The tape acts as a stop and you can step up from really tiny bits to ones approaching your peg/post. Takes a lot of the guess work out of dremmeling (although it can't be avoided for something things like head casts).

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 6 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #6

Customizing Knight

I had so much fun making Cap'n Tightpants as seen above that I thought that I might have a go at trying another character from outside of the SW universe who could almost fit right into it (particularly if you think that The Force is the SW universe equivalent of magic in the DC Universe) - Zatanna Zatara:

Recipe:

* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire body)
* TLC Breha Organa (for the head)
* TLC Jes Gistang (for the hands)
* POTJ Bespin Guard (for the baton)
* some household plastic (for the hat)
* some modelling clay (for the hair and boots)
* some material (who knew that old, frayed socks could be used for fishnet stockings on 3.75" figures?)
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Dark Flesh")

I'm reasonably happy with how she has come out, although the boots might be a touch overpowering. Maybe I should have gone with the classic high-heeled shoes look rather than the knee-high boots as currently appear in the comics.

And given I had been designing vintage style Kenner cardbacks for my custom SW figures, I felt it only appropriate to try designing a vintage style Kenner cardback for this custom non-SW figure:

"stenhsif s'annataZ fo rewop eht tsiser nac eno on"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 12 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #7

Customizing Knight

Following on from Zatanna, here is Wonder Woman in her new outfit:

Recipe:

* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the entire figure, sans hair)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Red Gore", "Chaos Black", "Shining Gold")

I am happy with how she came out - I just wish that I could have gotten the detail on her corset to work better than it did (thread didn't show up very well; paint came out a bit splotchy; and metallic ink faded through the material).

"The Force is insignificant compared to the power of plunging necklines and spray-on pants"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 26 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Customizing Knight

Continuing the theme of DC Comics superheroines, here is Supergirl in her classic mid-70s to early-80s hotpants-and-plunging-neckline costume:

Recipe:

* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the body, sans head)
* Hasbro GI Joe Rise Of Cobra Cover Girl (for the head, sans hair)
* Mattel DC Infinite Heroes Qwardian Weaponer (for the belt)
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Dwarf Flesh", "Bubonic Brown")

Excepting that the plunging neckline is a little too plunging (and she perhaps has a chest more fitting of Power Girl than Supergirl) and her footwear looks more like Ugg boots or fluffy socks than the reference material, I think that this came out okay. From certain angles, the figure even kind of looks like how it might have if it really were released in the vintage Super Powers line (as it was rumoured it was supposed to if a) the line continued past 1986 and 2) Kara Zor-El wasn't killed in Crisis On Infinite Earths).

Supergirl continues her cousin's fight for truth and justice... just in more revealing costumes.

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Mar 27 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #9

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

holy boobjob, batman! ph34r.gif
impressive work with the softgoods as always, haha
got plans for any more DC heroines? i was actually working on trying to make Arisa from green lantern myself, haha

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Mar 27 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #10

Customizing Knight

Thanks for the comment, clonecommander972.

I do indeed have plans for more DC heroines. I would quite like to do custom Miss Martian, Lady Blackhawk (and potentially the rest of the Birds of Prey) and my personal favourite character, Power Girl, figures at some point in the not too distant future. I'm a little reluctant to rush into creating PG given how much I adore the character - I wouldn't want to not do justice to the costume!

I think that an Arisia would be something that shouldn't be overly hard to do, but I hadn't really given much thought to trying to customise her myself. DC Direct did release a Blackest Night version of her in 6" scale fairly recently.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 27 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #11

The pink hurts my eyes. As SgtHumpty what his little girl thinks of pink...Also has another problem, can't tell where the flesh of her boobs begin and her cape are. Cut of the costume is near perfect just the 70s/80s color scheme is well the 70s/80s color scheme.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Apr 2 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #12

Customizing Knight

For many of us who grew up in the late 70s/early 80s, if your first crush wasn't Princess Leia, it was likely Col. Wilma Deering, Lt. Sheba or the subject of this particular custom, Athena, as she appeared in "The Lost Planet Of The Gods" in the original Battlestar Galactica:

Recipe:

* TLC Princess Leia (for the head, sans hair)
* TLC Breha Organa (for the chest, arms and left hand)
* TLC Juno Eclipse (for the legs and right hand)
* POTF2 Greedo (for the gun)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Black Widow (for the machine gun, which became the PAD on the leg and the ammunition on the belt)
* ROTS Clone Trooper (for the device on the belt)
* some wire (for the belt buckle and to provide the basis of the helmet)
* some elastic
* some material
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Dark Flesh", "Kommando Khaki", "Scorched Brown", "Chaos Black", "Shining Gold", "Mithril Silver", "Chestnut Ink")

As seen by the recipe, this figure is once more a "bitsa", and looked very different to how it would eventually:

I'm pretty happy with how this has come out, although the helmet is way too big and as such, it looks a little silly when she is wearing it. I was worried that this was going to look like Princess Leia in a Viper pilot outfit, but the hair and darker skin colour has changed the look entirely - even if it still isn't a great likeness to Maren Jensen.

I couldn't find a really good copy of a vintage Battlestar Galactica cardback to customise, so I just mocked up a quick one myself:

"No Dad, I'm not going to stay out for more than 100 centons. And I promise I won't get a scratch on the viper."

"Just because you are vintage, doesn't mean that I can't turn you into felgercarb, tin can"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Apr 22 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #13

Customizing Knight

Continuing the theme of DC superheroines, here is a custom Miss Martian as she appears in the current "Young Justice" cartoon:

Recipe:

* TVC Zam Wesell (for the head)
* TLC Shaak Ti (for the body, sans head, forearms and hands)
* Hasbro GI Joe: ROC Cover Girl (for the forearms)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Kitty Pryde (for the hands)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some ribbon
* some paint (Citadel "Goblin Green", "Blood Red", "Regal Blue", "Shining Gold", "Skull White")

I'm really happy with how this has come out. It did take me a few attempts to get the shirt right - the finished product turned out to be done as a three piece with the arms sewn into place once the chest had been fitted to the figure. This added a bit of bulk to the shoulders, but I think that it works.

M'gann fights for truth, justice and the White Martian way in slightly more appropriate attire than her fellow offworlder, J'onn J'onzz:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post May 1 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #14

Customizing Knight

Changing gender but remaining inside the DC Universe, here is a custom Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern:

Recipe:

* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard Utris M'Toc (for the head)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe House Of M Spider-Man (for the entire body sans head and hands)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Cyclops (for the hands)
* Hasbro Marvel Universe Bucky (for the collar)
* a drawing pin (the base for the chest logo)
* a safety pin (for the belt buckle)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Vomit Brown", "Goblin Green", "Red Gore", "Regal Blue", "Chaos Black", "Skull White")

Once more, I'm pretty happy with how this has come out; hopefully the confidence I am getting with doing these customs is showing in an improvement in their quality.
As with the recent Rianna Saren figure, Alan Scott's outfit and in particular, the colour of his cloak changes frequently - the outside of the cloak seems to range from bright purple, to dark green to black dependant upon the colourist of the art. For something different, I've gone with a dark blue on the outer side and a pale blue-green on the inside.
This was the first time that I've tried to use a fairly rigid, non-elasticised material for a form fitting garment on a figure (in this instance, canvas for the pants) and while the version that I've finished with works well, it took a few failed attempts before getting there. Fingers crossed if I attempt canvas pants again on a 3.75" figure that I will remember to make sure to not make them too tight otherwise there could be unsightly wardrobe malfunctions upon attempting to move the figure's joints.

"Yellow might not pose me the problems that it does to that young whippersnapper Hal Jordan, but don't talk to me about wood!"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post May 8 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #15

Customizing Knight

I decided to revisit a couple of the previous DC superheroines seen in this thread given that I wasn't as happy with them as I could be.

First up, Supergirl. Previously, the shorts, cape and boots were in a pinkish hued material with a plastic belt. Now, a much darker material is being used, the belt has been replaced with some ribbon, the boots have been split up into painted feet and material leggings, and the shield on the left breast has been re-done. And speaking of, I have also drawn both sides of the plunging neckline a little closer together so as to not be so overt. I think that this has improved the figure exponentially:

Next up, Zatanna. I wasn't overly happy with the boots, the fishnet stockings weren't quite as good as I had originally thought and there was something a little "wrong" with the face that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Now, the feet have been replaced with those from a ROC Baroness, the frayed socks in the fishnets have been replaced with wound thread and the face has been repainted. It still isn't quite how I would like it to be, but the figure is likewise now much better than previously:

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post May 14 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #16

Customizing Knight

Returning to the 'verse, here is the muscle on board the Serenity, Jayne Cobb, the "Hero of Canton":

Recipe:

* Jayne from the Dark Horse Serenity PVC set (for the head, knife and "Vera")
* Hasbro GI Joe ROC Snake Eyes (for the body)
* TLC Cloud City Wing Guard (for the pistol)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh" and "Skull White" combined, "Kommando Khaki", "Grave Yard Earth", "Chestnut Ink", "Chaos Black")

I was a little torn as to whether to use the Dark Horse Jayne head or one I got from Slayer Design Studios. I went with the former figuring that it would require a bit less work, but given I ended up repainting it anyway, either/or would have been fine. I'm really happy with how the T-shirt (and hat) turned out, but the jacket didn't quite end up how I would have liked it to. It still works in the context of the character though, so it could be worse.

Seeing as I've got plans for a few more of the Serenity crew, I thought I would quickly mock up a more appropriate cardback to accompany them:

"Let's be bad guys."

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post May 29 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #17

Customizing Knight

Even the most hardened Star Wars fan would have to agree that Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is a pretty special piece of cinema. Much like The Empire Strikes Back, virtually everything in the film "just works" with the characterisation, particularly the subject of this particular custom, Captain Spock, showing maturity far beyond normal sci-fi fare:

Recipe:

* Hasbro GI Joe ROC Zartan (for the entire body sans head)
* SlayerDesignStudio "Head-77 Vulcan"
* some material
* some household plastic
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Shining Gold", "Red Gore")

It took a few attempts to get the coat sitting right on the figure. I ended up making it as a whole one piece shirt with a second flap over the front rather than trying to make it something akin to what the actor would have worn on screen. While it would have been nice to have been able to put more detail into the rank insignia, I am happy with how this has come out:

"Fascinating"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jun 13 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #18

Customizing Knight

Given that I can't justify the cost for the otherwise spectacular Gentle Giant statues, I thought that I might have a go at trying to make action figure versions of the leads from Sucker Punch myself... or at the very least, the Australian ones (who just so happen to be the most important characters in the film). First up, Baby Doll as portrayed by Emily Browning:

Recipe:

* TCW Padme Amidala, Adventure Gear (for the head)
* TLC Princess Leia, Jabba's Slave (for the body sans head, left hand and feet)
* TLC Juno Eclipse (for the left hand)
* TLC Breha Organa (for the feet)
* GI Joe: ROC Snake Eyes (for the sword)
* GI Joe: ROC Cover Girl (for the pistol)
* some material
* some ribbon
* some modelling clay
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Blood Red", "Regal Blue", "Vomit Brown", "Chaos Black" and "Skull White" and "Burnished Gold" mixed together for the hair)

I had to take a couple of small liberties with the costume due to the scale and available material - the pleat on the skirt fell out as soon as I placed it onto the figure so I ended up just making a plain skirt; the stockings aren't as shear as they perhaps should be; and while the movie costume is indeed blue, it perhaps isn't as blue as this particular version. That being said, I am happy with how this has come out - it looks better in person in natural light than it does in these photos.

"You will need to find five items. The first is a map. Then fire. Then a knife. And a key. The fifth thing is a mystery. Begin your journey. It will set you free."

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jun 18 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #19

Customizing Knight

Here is Captain James Tiberius Kirk in his uniform from the classic Star Trek original series episode The Trouble With Tribbles:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio PO7-39 New7-39-Kirk

* Hasbro GI Joe:ROC Snake Eyes (for the entire body sans head)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Burnished Gold", "Skull White", "Snake Bite Leather", "Chestnut Ink")

While the sculpt itself is a spot-on likeness for William Shatner, I found that whilst I was painting it, from certain angles it came up looking more like David Bowie. For a little while, I toyed with the idea of stopping making a Kirk custom and instead making something akin to Ziggy Stardust.

"Who put the Tribbles in the quadrotriticale?"

+Quote Post
Mousedroid-Hooji...
post Jun 25 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #20

Customizing Knight

Here's something that gave me a giggle when I first saw it that I couldn't pass up replicating into 3.75" form - Dr Zaius dressed as an Elvis impersonator:

Recipe:

* SlayerDesignStudio Head "PO-8-35"

* TVC Sandtrooper (heavily modified - for the entire body, sans head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Snake Bite Leather", "Golden Yellow", "Bubonic Brown")

For something that is just a bit of fun, I am really happy with his this has finished up. The jumpsuit is made out of a very glittery $2 shop hair band that has been unstitched and flattened; with the base figure being one of the endlessly repacked Sandtroopers in the current Vintage Collection, modified to remove all of the armour. The microphone is from a LEGO blind-boxed mini-figure with some thin elastic serving as the cord.

"Bright light city's gonna set my soul on fire. Viva, Las Forbidden Zone"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 02:23 AM || Skin by Metalaxe