> Vintage-style Prequel/OT Boxes
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 1 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Customizing Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,281

Hello all,
I made a vintage style box for a Naboo Fighter. I have been working on cardbacks forever now and I wanted to start making boxes for vehicles, ships, etc. as well as accessories and weapons and such. I used the original box from Episode 1 as a template for measurements and built it up from there in Photoshop. I generated UPCs online and made up my own 'codes' which was neat to do. I also did some little things such as the proof-of-purchase and a quality seal from a vintage Slave 1 box I have. Plus taking pics of the toy and figures and using screen grabs for backgrounds. I am about 98% complete with this but I wanted to post a pic. I also have a Sith Speeder in the works then onto the Droid Fighter, some creatures, and the Naboo Royal Starship for starters. Should be lots of fun. Here's a pic...I'm hoping I have the right code so it looks ok when posted. Thanx for looking.

--------------------
Tommy.

"You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaina100
post Dec 1 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,402

That is one of the "freshest" things I have seen here in a long time. The fonts even look correct. AWESOME!

--------------------
Jaina100

Check out my website
OR
Check me out on Facebook

"These aren't the droids you're looking for...
...The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 1 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Customizing Padawan

QUOTE (Jaina100 @ Dec 1 2010, 11:00 AM) *
That is one of the "freshest" things I have seen here in a long time. The fonts even look correct. AWESOME!

Thanks! thumbup.gif

I spent hours figuring out what fonts to use and I am almost certain that Kenner used AvantGarde fonts for their toy names/descriptions just like the nameplates on their cardbacks(back in the day). I downloaded several different AvantGarde fonts to my computer and then chose whatever I thought worked best for each description. Some of the other texts(figures sold seperately, corporate things, and years, etc.) are Franklin Gothic and News Gothic or something like that. Can't remember for sure but I matched everything up as close as possible to vintage boxes I have and pics I found online of vintage toys.

More in the works....thanks for looking!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
tworiverz
post Dec 2 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #4

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 489

Got to agree with Jaina here, this really is a refreshingly ,sweet twist on the vintage range, well done.

I love the way you've managed to keep the feel of the original range, have you any intentions of producing an actual box with insert tray ?

That would be really nice to see thumbup.gif

Can I make a couple of comments, which don't detract from this excellent piece of work, but that might stick out if a full scale box is produced.

There appears to be a grey line around the outer edge of the image ,on the front and back panel windows, usually caused when inserting an image under the transparent section of a template.
This is easily rectified but if left sticks out like a sore thumb on the finnished item.

Secondly the Phantom Mence Logo lettering appears to be in two different red colours, again if left will stand out when a full scale version is made.

ALL I CAN REALLY SAY IS EXCELLENT , MORE PLEASE !!!!!!

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 2 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Customizing Padawan

QUOTE (tworiverz @ Dec 2 2010, 06:54 AM) *
Got to agree with Jaina here, this really is a refreshingly ,sweet twist on the vintage range, well done.

I love the way you've managed to keep the feel of the original range, have you any intentions of producing an actual box with insert tray ?

That would be really nice to see thumbup.gif

Can I make a couple of comments, which don't detract from this excellent piece of work, but that might stick out if a full scale box is produced.

There appears to be a grey line around the outer edge of the image ,on the front and back panel windows, usually caused when inserting an image under the transparent section of a template.
This is easily rectified but if left sticks out like a sore thumb on the finnished item.

Secondly the Phantom Mence Logo lettering appears to be in two different red colours, again if left will stand out when a full scale version is made.

ALL I CAN REALLY SAY IS EXCELLENT , MORE PLEASE !!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words!

I am definitly going for a total vintage feel for everything I am making. I LOVE the vintage packaging so to hear that it is on track with the feel I am going for is really nice to hear!!!

And thank you for the comments about the color and the grey line. I noticed my Phantom logo has a few shades of red going on when I made my first custom 10-back for my Episode 1 cardbacks I am doing. I forgot to change it a few months ago so thanks for pointing it out. What would be an easy way to fix that grey line? I was curious as to what you think before I mess with it..you may have a much easier way to do it. I hadnt really noticed it before. These are things I want fixed as I do plan to print them and have actual physical boxes. Also, some toys I may actually stick in the boxes with inserts like you mentioned. Thats my plan anyways cool.gif

I have made lists of everything I want to do so now that I have learned a lot about making the boxes I am hoping I can crank them out steadily. The Naboo Fighter was a good beginner on learing how to 'build' the packaging.

Thanks again! Hopefully by this weekend I will have Maul's Sith Speeder complete.

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 5 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #6

Customizing Padawan

Hey hey,
I finished the Sith Speeder. This one was even more fun to do. Setting up the scene for the front and rear panel pics was a blast. I used regular everyday play sand and I painted a piece of plexiglass for the background then put a light behind it to give it some glow. I am very happy with the result. Again I went with some pics of the toy's features with an orange background to really add to that vintage feel. Overall I am extremely pleased with how it looks. So here it is...enjoy!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 7 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #7

Customizing Padawan

Here's my Droid Fighter. I made it simple and somewhat generic. I didnt add any figures because they were much taller than what the toy is and Im not exactly sure what the scale of it is and if it is correct to the figures(I assume it is?).

I may change up the background color and see how it looks with either yellow or maybe red. Overall I am pleased with it tho. More to come soon. Enjoy!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
Jaina100
post Dec 7 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #8

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,402

I can't say it enough, I love these! headbanging2.gif

--------------------
Jaina100

Check out my website
OR
Check me out on Facebook

"These aren't the droids you're looking for...
...The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jan 2 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #9

Customizing Padawan

Hey hey,
I've been working on more boxes so it's time to post more. First is Slave 1 from AOTC. The idea hit me the other day to do Jango's version similar to the vintage box. I placed figures on the right of the pic near the middle and rear of the ship just like the vintage Slave 1 box has. The idea hit me to tie Jango and Boba's versions together as a salute to the vintage Slave 1. I thought it would be a neat idea and little tribute of sorts.

I also changed my AOTC logo giving 'CLONES' the emphasis. My other version can be seen in my thread of cardbacks I have done. This one was lots of fun to do and I took 40+ pics to choose from for the box. Different angles, poses, etc. Here it is...enjoy! I will have more very soon...

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jan 2 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Customizing Padawan

Here's a Kaadu I did from TPM. I'm working on Anakin's pod racer and a TIE Bomber which will be awesome to do. Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Feb 23 2011, 01:02 AM
Post #11

Customizing Padawan

Hello everyone,
I've been doing more things here and there and wanted to post a 6 pack I made. I used the ESB 6 pack as a template. It is one of my favorite vintage items so I decided to build my own in Photoshop and give it the prequel treatment as well. I plan to make several for each film, randomly choosing characters as I go. Here is the first one i have done...enjoy!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Aug 10 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Customizing Padawan

Hello everyone...I had 2 boxes printed by a local printing company. These are just proofs so I can get an idea of how they will look when done. I'm not 100% sure how I want to have them done quite yet, but this way I will have an idea of how things will look when physically in-hand. I'm happy with them although some areas look a bit to saturated as with the cardbacks I had printed as well(see my other thread if you'd like). I wanted the Naboo Fighter printed but it was to large for the digital printing they do and would have to be done with the press process they have which is expensive so I will have to figure something out. These aren't final as I need to fix some things and add things such as more text and finish the flaps and such. Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
savrip
post Aug 10 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #13

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Can't wait to see more. This reminds me of my days of the Custom POTF2 Max Rebo set. Ah to finish a project... that one is older than my daughter.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Aug 11 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #14

Customizing Padawan

QUOTE (savrip @ Aug 10 2011, 10:35 PM) *
Can't wait to see more. This reminds me of my days of the Custom POTF2 Max Rebo set. Ah to finish a project... that one is older than my daughter.

I'm really excited to get more done although I cant do anything in Photoshop right now because I had to reload Windows on my computer and Photoshop is there but the personilization info and key got wiped out. One of my best friends had the disk and let me use it(I know some people frown upon that) but now he cant find the disk so I'm at a standstill. I miss using it soooo badly sad.gif

In the meantime I wanna start setting up scenes for other toys and take pics so I have them ready for when I make more boxes.

PS-Anyone have Photoshop 7 they would like to sell?

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Aug 19 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #15

Customizing Padawan

I'm back in business with Photoshop so I was able to an A-Wing Fighter box. I still have some minor things to finish but here is the 97% completed box...

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
rogue82
post Aug 22 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,319

Loving the A-Wing box can't wait to see a finalised version of this. (can't see what's not finished to be honest!) I love the photography on these as well, you've really captured the feel of the Vintage packaging.

Do you have any intention of creating retro versions of the new X-Wing?

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Aug 22 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #17

Customizing Padawan

QUOTE (rogue82 @ Aug 22 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Loving the A-Wing box can't wait to see a finalised version of this. (can't see what's not finished to be honest!) I love the photography on these as well, you've really captured the feel of the Vintage packaging.

Do you have any intention of creating retro versions of the new X-Wing?

Thanks for the kind words smile.gif
I was excited to do the A-Wing because the vintage toy had the box from the Droids cartoon series and not the black box with the chrome borders, so I was really excited to do the A-Wing.

I need to finish the flaps which tuck into the box when it is closed up...thats basically it other than some minor tweaks here and there. I plan to make a retro box for the X-Wing as well. Currently I am working on the TIE Bomber. I need to re-take photos because I'm not happy with the ones I have taken so far. I have many others started such as Anakin and Sebulba's podracers, Theed Hangar playset, templates for some mini-rigs such as the flash cannon from Phantom Menace(based on vintage mini-rig boxes), gelagrub from ROTS, and I have a rancor box which is 75% complete. I may post the front panel of the rancor box for now since I havent decided how I want the top and bottom and sides to be.

Getting the vintage look from the photography is a bit tricky. Getting the lighting just right and the color, etc. It is lots of fun tho. Aside from using existing toys, there are several custom items I would like to make as well, so they are in the works. I have several playset ideas and a few vehicles I would love to build...one of which is Count Dooku's Solar Sailor complete with vintage style box thumbup.gif

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
savrip
post Aug 25 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #18

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Keep and eye out for Kim Simmons. I'd bet you'd love to talk his ear off about the setups. He often attends KSWCC and OSWCC socials. He lives in OH, so PA might not be that far of a drive if the PSWCS. He loves to attend the big events if he's asked. He doesn't offer. We pay for his gas and he's more than happy to come talk about the work he did. You can also get Scott, his son, who is also a Lucasfilm artist.

http://www.themanwhoshotlukeskywalker.com/Home.html

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Aug 28 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Customizing Padawan

Sweet! Thanks for the link Sav! Thats awesome stuff!!! thumbup.gif

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Nov 22 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #20

Customizing Padawan

Been awhile since I posted anything so here's a partially completed Rancor box which I started a few months ago. It's a large box so I haven't decided how I want to do all 6 sides. I may do some of them in a litho style like some of the larger vintage boxes used(AT-AT, Imperial Shuttle, etc). The rancor, Luke, and Gam Guard are the newer releases. The large rocks in the background are from my driveway and edge of the road which I stacked to make a cave-like setting and then used play sand as an accent. This is just the front panel and the bottom panel and is not complete. I have to add in the remaining text and finish the other sides once I decide how I want them. I figured I would post a glimpse of its progress so far...enjoy!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 10:57 PM || Skin by Metalaxe