Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My first set of custom SW cards; starting with 12 backs (NEW CARDS!
Corellian Corvet...
post Jul 31 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,200

EDIT - I finished the first 12 backs - and a couple 21 backs as well. Here's the lastest set. (thanks to Beggar's Canyon for the perfect blisters!)
------------------------------
While not my first attempt at doing reproduction cards (I've done Mego figure cards in the past), I've spent the last month or so working on my template to reproduce SW cards. I have the first 12 done, a handful of 20 backs, and a few Empire and POTF completed as well. Right now my focus is getting the 12 backs as close to perfect as possible.

I know there are a lot of card makers out there, so I really wanted to work hard to make my attempt worthy. I'm still waiting on blisters to arrive before I start carding them, but the ones I have done I'm really shooting for accuracy in all aspects to the best of "home made" ability. Lots and lots of paper and toner have been wasted to make these as accurate as possible. Lots of glues purchased to get the blisters to look right, and using the correct style of tape to hold the weapons in the blisters.

These are actual, un-retouched lightbox images. Couple things about the work.

1) All the art assets are mine. Unless something was publicly available or willfully donated, I created all the assets myself. I have an original carded figure collection which has provided me most of the artwork you see here. Many helpful people on the forum donated information, but I didn't want anyone to think I'd ripped anything off. 99% of what you see is mine.

2) Card thickness, natural backers, real hole punches - no Photoshop trickery is used. These are 100% exact to original cards and use the natural cardboard backers -- no white boards here. Lots of $$ and wasted paper to get the right thickness boards! cry.gif

3) I've discovered a wide variety of hole punches across all the lines of cards so I went with the clean punch used for most of the SW and Empire line. Location was measured exactly off an original card.

4) Many, many sleepless nights searching for the right fonts and spacing used on the cards. Every piece of text has been laid out on the computer; no text you're seeing is a scan of original text. I've erased every piece of text off original cards so that clean text can be laid over the top of the image.

5) I really wanted accurate colors here - I've seen good cards that get this wrong. Blue is hard for printers for some reason, so I'm really proud at how close the Kenner, LP and POP colors are to the vintage card. I struggled on how to deal with cards that have faded. I decided to go with a clean, new look hence the more richer blacks and darker backers. I could easily "age" them, but I wanted the case-fresh look.

6) Lots of emphasis on the backs. I put as much work into the card backs as the fronts. Again, many repro makers are using generic backs that have been on the net for a long time. I've scanned my own cards, touched up the art, laid out every piece of text, then adjusted the colors for print. I have not seen any cards (certainly not for sale) that have backs as accurate.

So there you go. I'd love feedback/critiques to get them even closer!

Luke Farmboy Front

Vinyl Cape Jawa Front

Original Death Squad Commander vs. DSC Backer Card

Thickness Comparison:
Original

Repro

Comparing the Backs

Kenner Logo Color close-ups

POP logo color close-ups

21 Back repro (it's crooked, I know blushing.gif )

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Jul 31 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 57

The Death Squad Commander card looks dead-on, but is the sky area on the Luke card really that white? I've seen some original cards that do appear this way. I was just curious. Also, I assume the Jawa cape is really a cut Obi-Wan cape? The color is wrong. I like your attention to detail as far as card thickness goes. My cardbacks are thicker than originals, but I like them that way- sturdy and rigid. Oh, and I know what you mean about the sleepless nights. I have had many of those over the years, but usually it was because I was excited about the next project I would be doing. I miss those days, actually.

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2014 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.

+Quote Post
Corellian Corvet...
post Aug 1 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,200

Thanks meccano-man! The sky on the luke card actually has a VERY slight pink tinge to it, just like the original card. When photographed under the lights it gets washed out. It's pretty dead on compared to the original card I have. The sky in the Jawa card is the same color and also looks washed out.

I have tons of fronts left to do - plus I tweak endlessly. It's a fun way to get my artistic side out.

Actually the cape is a repro that comes in that color. I figure it's the only way I'm getting a VC Jawa smile.gif

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Aug 1 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #4

Customizing High Council

If you check on ebay, the seller, beggars_canyon, has an exact reproduction of the Jawa cape with the same texture, color, and size as an original. He has the best price on the net at just $1.00 + $0.50 shipping. Check it out.

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

+Quote Post
tworiverz
post Aug 1 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #5

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 489

Meccano, out of interest are beggars_canyons other capes as accurate to original, I've been hunting for Sand people, ben and vader capes that look ok for ages ?

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Aug 1 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #6

Customizing High Council

QUOTE (tworiverz @ Aug 1 2010, 12:11 PM) *
Meccano, out of interest are beggars_canyons other capes as accurate to original, I've been hunting for Sand people, ben and vader capes that look ok for ages ?

I'm not sure about the other capes, although he does describe them in the same way (die-cut, exact, etc.). The only one I'm sure about is the Jawa cape.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jediryno
post Sep 11 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 494

can you tell us what type of paper you are printing on? thanks

+Quote Post
Darth Icarus
post Nov 29 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,252

can you email your templates i really like your work

+Quote Post
Jaina100
post Nov 30 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #9

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,402

Kudos on getting the fonts right. That is where most repros fall short. Nice work!

--------------------
Jaina100

Check out my website
OR
Check me out on Facebook

"These aren't the droids you're looking for...
...The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

+Quote Post
TD 5491
post May 23 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,395

Awesome work!!
The corners look good too and I know what a headache they can be LOL

--------------------
TD 5491
501st Legion
MEPD

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 09:54 PM || Skin by Metalaxe