Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Wing A-WING Custom FX POTF electronic, my first attempt at a custom
nelcoffey
post May 16 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,173

My first custom! I've always wondered why there wasn't an action feature or light or sound or something on the POTF A-Wing. In the original Droids version from the 80's there was a "battle sound" similiar to the one on the original Falcon. Basically a motor that ground against a plastic flap. So the question still remains, why didn't Kenner update the features on the reissue in for the POTF line in the 90's? The clear plastic on the engine exhaust nacelle ports was BEGGING to be lit up. That's where this all started. Then I realized that the torpedo/missile alleys on the sides weren't weathered or painted black. When I was doing that I got the idea to put flashers in the recess to simulate concussion missiles, or proton torpedos firing. The switch for the torpedoes is the red mini switch, it's a momentary switch that "fires' the red flashers for as long as you hold in. The engines are activated by a switch where the original from the 80's was located. The engine glow stays on until the switch is turned off. The torpedo flashers work if the engines are on or off. All of this is powered by a 9 volt battery that is housed in the previously unused battery compartment. This was all wired in a way that the gears and the canopy still work, the laser cannon still rotate as well. I'm pretty happy with it. Let me know what you all think! Oh, the other thing is that they stay lit a LONG time on a 9 volt. I left it on overnight by accident and it was still going strong in the morning.

Yes I used blue instead of yellow/orange, because the blue transmitted through the clear plastic a lot better than the yellow. It also matches the new huge jumbo Falcon engine color. Perhaps this is the hyperdrive engaging or a souped up version. I imagined a special A-Wing squadron, that Han and Chewie helped upgrade the engines on shortly after Return of the Jedi.

More picshttp://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/nelcoffey/CUSTOM%20A-Wing%20A%20Wing%20POTF%20Star%20Wars/P1017007.jpg

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nelcoffey
post May 17 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #2

More pics at: http://chuck90.fotopic.net/c1850094.html headbanging2.gif Visit My Website CUSTOM A-WING

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post May 17 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #3

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

While not a vehicle customizer or someone that would know how to do you did. I do appreciate the effort you gave to give this A-wing the lights it so deserved. I have no question or critique, but that is a mighty fine set you have there.

Welcome to the boards.

[Why am I up so late, and posting in the vehicles customs section?]

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post May 17 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #4

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Very cool! That's certainly a custom to be proud of.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 17 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #5

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (tonphanan @ May 17 2010, 01:02 AM) *
[Why am I up so late, and posting in the vehicles customs section?]

offtopic.gif Cuz you're a dork! /:off-topic: Sorry to interupt the thread, you'll get used to the humor here (eventually or go insane).

Vehicle customs are always a safe starting point, either as repaints or wiring them up depending on your prefernce. I also see you built yourself a pretty keen platform, a diorama to go with it, maybe you could post that up in the diorama section and tell us about it. The platform adds a lot too.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
nelcoffey
post May 17 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! And a few sharp eyes saw the platform, yes I started building a landing pad after seeing Return of the Jedi a long time ago as a kid. Recently I've started wiring it too and adding some things. When it's all ship shape and ready I'll have to do a thing on that to. Nearly forgotten that it is a scratch build "custom" of sorts, or diorama. It's been around for so long that I've just gotten accustomed to it.
Okay, I'll look forward to more critiques and comments!
Thanks for everything so far, great to be on the boards! thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 17 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #7

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Ok, no rush on the platform, you've only had since 1983 to work on it blushing.gif pinch.gif

Seriously, look forward to seeing it in all its glory as well.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
nelcoffey
post May 19 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #8

I'm working on an additional A-Wing that will be in custom painted colors with the same lighting effects stay tuned!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 01:04 AM || Skin by Metalaxe