Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scenic Display Bases
MINIATURE-ART
post Apr 1 2010, 03:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,428

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted, so I thought I'd pop in and shw off some display stands I've been working on. I don't have the space to show off large dioramas like some of you have, so my goal was to create small scene specific mini-dioramas to accompany my Imperial troops.

Here they are:

"All troops report to docking bay 327"

"Imperial troops have entered the base...Imperial troops have AARGGHH!"

"Look sir, droids!"

"You rebel scum!"

These were inspired by the wonderfully evocative bases that come with Kotobukiya's 1/6 scale Star Wars vinyl statues. My stands are made from Games Workshop's terrain tiles from the board game "Mighty Empires". The game includes approximately 40 different terrain tiles.

You can buy extra plstic sprues of terrain tiles online:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...otCatGameStyle=

The tiles are plastic, and very durable, so it was easy to grind off surface details I didn't need with a Dremel tool. The bases can interlock, but I chose not to use that feature as I felt they look better if the outer edges were smooth.

Here's a series of detail photos of each base, it's hard to capture how three-dimensional the sculpted mounds are on the Hoth and Tatooine stands:

The Death Star base was made by grinding off all surface details on the tile, then laying a sheet of styrene plastic inside the rim of the base. I then scribed the floor details in. The MSE mouse droid was converted from a spare R2-series foot from the Build-A-Droid pack in.

This Hoth base was created by gluing a spare rifle on the surface, then sculpting a snow mound to give it a partially buried look. The power cable was bent then glued on to represent the interior of Echo Base.

The Tatooine base is probably the simplest one to make. I spread a thin layer of putty, then lightly pressed R2-D2's and C3-PO's footprints in before it hardened.

I had alot of fun detailing the Endor base. The "log" is an actual tree branch, cleaned, dried and painted. The ferns are plastic from a home decorating store. If you look carefully, the areas under the log are "wet", there is moss on the log, and I sculpted a tiny turtle in the clear resin puddle.

And a top view so you have an uncluttered look at the modified bases:

As you can see, it doesn't take alot of effort or space to display your figures. In the future, I may make one for Boba Fett and the other principal characters from the original trilogy. I'll probably make a series of Hoth themed bases for all my Snowtroopers. I'll finish off with an encore group shot inside my cabinet at home:

Hope you guys like my idea!

BOBBY

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Apr 1 2010, 05:39 AM
Post #2

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

awesome work! i'll have to see if i can find some of those tiles, i've been wanting to do something like this for a while now!

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Apr 1 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Man, I love your work, and these are no exception! Your attention to detail is simply magnificent. The concept is excellent and the execution flawless.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 1 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #4

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Good thing you explained how to make a scale MSE droid!!! That being more in scale than anything is what I'm taking out of this.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Apr 1 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #5

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Apr 1 2010, 09:07 AM) *
Man, I love your work, and these are no exception! Your attention to detail is simply magnificent. The concept is excellent and the execution flawless.

Yep, just like he said! I've got some large dioramas and some smaller, shelf-sized dioramas. I've always intended to do some display stands like this, but I always seem to get sidetracked. For all the hundreds of customs I've done, the biggest problem I have is finding a good way to display them without having the room look like a garage sale in progress!

--------------------

+Quote Post
darthschroeder
post Apr 1 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #6

Co-Founder

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Really cool idea!

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Apr 1 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #7

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

The mouse droid is great. I will have to hit my hobby stores for these stands. The girlfriend is going to kill me.

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Apr 5 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

just wondering, but do you think there's any way to attach a peg to hold the figure in place?

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
MINIATURE-ART
post Apr 11 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,428

Sure. When you are done with the base, drill a hole. Then glue a 3/32" dia plastic rod into the base. Use 1/8" dia rod for vintage Kenner figures. Presto, instant foot peg. You can find plastic rod in your local hobby shop, made by Evergreen Scale Plastics. Or you can swipe foot pegs from DC Direct figures.

I didn't find the need for foot pegs though. My display cabinet is very stable, so I am not worried about the figures falling. Also if you look closely, there are certain flat areas on the textured surface, so the figure can stand without tipping over, especially if the figure has articulated ankles. Also, the foot pegs may limit where I can place my figures. If you check the photo below, you can see that it's the same base, just turned around; this is by design, giving a different "look" by changing where the figure is placed.

Hope this helps!

BOBBY

--------------------

+Quote Post
savrip
post Apr 11 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #10

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

That's a sweet way to display your figures. The first thing I thought of was it looks like a game piece. I'd bet you could make an awesome chess board out of this method.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 11 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #11

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (MINIATURE-ART @ Apr 11 2010, 02:14 AM) *
Sure. When you are done with the base, drill a hole. Then glue a 3/32" dia plastic rod into the base. Use 1/8" dia rod for vintage Kenner figures. Presto, instant foot peg. You can find plastic rod in your local hobby shop, made by Evergreen Scale Plastics. Or you can swipe foot pegs from DC Direct figures.

I didn't find the need for foot pegs though. My display cabinet is very stable, so I am not worried about the figures falling. Also if you look closely, there are certain flat areas on the textured surface, so the figure can stand without tipping over, especially if the figure has articulated ankles. Also, the foot pegs may limit where I can place my figures. If you check the photo below, you can see that it's the same base, just turned around; this is by design, giving a different "look" by changing where the figure is placed.

Hope this helps!

BOBBY

You are going to enter this one (and any other ESB related ones) into the CC #60, right? hypocrite.gif

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Jedi_turok
post May 7 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #12

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 28

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
juanix2
post Jul 29 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,201

really cool!! i do the same do to that i dont have space also ajja in my case i do the bases from plaster molds and then i add sand and other staff if it is a ground dio but if it is one like a city i add line to the molds s it seems no be streets or inside a building i will like to post a picture but i dont know how jajaj a

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 07:21 PM || Skin by Metalaxe