Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AT-CST, all terrain-covert supply transport
clonecommander97...
post Sep 29 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #1

Customizing High Council

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,086

the All terrain covert supply transport is meant to assist advanced scouting parties, ARC troopers, or other commando missions. it's also used for exploritory missions, such as searching out uncharted terrain. usually accompanied by 2-3 BARC speeder bikes, it carries enough supplies to act as a temporary headquarters for up to 1 (coruscant standard) month. besides it's cargo, the AT-CST carries little equipment (basic sensors and GPS) and no armaments. it relies on the troops to defend it if needed. it's design is based off the Je'ey-j0 desert/artic class ordinance hauling droid, modified to acomadate living passengers
(totally made that whole thing up while i sat here typing it, name included XD)

still have some finishing touches to add, greeblies to attach and such, but i'm overall happy with the paint scheme. the colors match those of the AT-TE perfectly thumbup.gif
anyway, opinions and suggestions are welcome~

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Sep 29 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

CC972,

I really like this... but there's one little thing that nags at me.

Why use wheels and tracks when they'd have repulsorlift technology? I can see using wheels for something huge like the Turbo Tank, assuming that the repulsorlifts would have to be equally huge to lift it. But a vehicle this size would be easy to employ repulsorlifts on. It would also be more covert, since you wouldn't be leaving tread/tire tracks.

Sorry to be a downer, I really do think it's a sweet looking vehicle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stoma coear
post Sep 30 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #3

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,550

Great work CC972 the paints are a good match to the other vehicles in the Republic army. As to ehat Dnj said see if you can find some unusual shaped bits from other vehicles and put them in place of the tracks and wheels and you'll have a winner! thumbup.gif Remember that in the Star Wars universe things Dont have to be symetrical hope this helps. Great work Keep em Commin

--------------------
For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Sep 30 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

my idea behind the treads is that they wouldn't leave behind any kind of energy signal that could be tracked/traced. i recently played a game where, in one mission, you had to track a ship by following traces of residual energy from it's engines. thats what gave me the idea to keep with the treads instead. i am working on a repulsorlift version, the only problem i'm currently having is how to make the seats~

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Sep 30 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #5

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (clonecommander972 @ Sep 30 2009, 04:15 PM) *
my idea behind the treads is that they wouldn't leave behind any kind of energy signal that could be tracked/traced. i recently played a game where, in one mission, you had to track a ship by following traces of residual energy from it's engines. thats what gave me the idea to keep with the treads instead. i am working on a repulsorlift version, the only problem i'm currently having is how to make the seats~

Yet one doesn't even need sensors or anythign special beyond eyes that see in 3D and some range of the color spectrum to track treads. dry.gif rolleyes.gif

The other thing is while the rolls of whatever look nice, again, may suffer from too much earth like stuff. Star Wars tech isn't as big or bulky in some cases, so you could glue in or tie down other things that could be packages of that stuff or other things. Besides, what's a clone need beyond some ration bars and power packs (and the occasional EMP grenade)?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Sep 30 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

I'd disagree on the bedrolls, and the tracks/wheels...

First the track/wheeled argument though... Star Wars EU is pretty rampant with tracked vehicles and wheeled vehicles in use... One reason is repulsor-craft cannot penetrate some shielding. It's been an argued that a big reason Hoth was bombarded was due to the shields being up. As Veers says, "the shield will be down in moments, you may start your landing", which does imply slightly that the shield's preventing the landing from taking place... IE: ships can't penetrate it. Ships can buzz around inside it, and such, but nothing can "fly through it". This is supported by video games as well, to a degree.

This also is supported, at least visually, in TPM with the Battledroids needing to go in on foot to shut the Gungan's shields down while the armor waits for that to take place.

In the SW EU then, the use of shields and tracked/repulsor vehicles on land becomes more of a chess match... Sometimes repulsor's are great to traverse terrain you otherwise could not. This comes up in the FOrce Commander game significantly where a repulsorcraft can go across small rivers/streams that a walker or tracked tank cannot. It also means though, that a shielded base limits the types of units you can send into battle.

So I'd say a tracked vehicle is as likely as anything else... EU shows the ground Stormtrooper transports, Rebel tracked tanks, and the Imperial TIE Crawler (any variant really). The movies have the Separatist Snail Tank which is not very large at all, as well... EU makes tracked/wheeled just as logical as anything else, ultimately.

On the bedroll issue...

I'd argue that centuries of technological innovation haven't removed people from the basics... Troopers still wear backpacks, which have evolved, but as in Star Wars, they're still big, bulky, and carry the necessities... Bedrolls, tents, and things would likely be similar. It goes beyond the military though, to the every day.... Look at Mos Espa, Mos Eisley, and so forth... There's lots of things that look pretty much like the basic stowage seen on wagons in the 19th century, tanks in the 20th century, and even on our advanced armor pieces of today.

So I feel the additional items like a jerry can, or bedrolls, or duffel bags and whatnot, are touches of the real world on an item that looks otherworldly.

There's definately a fine line between "too earthy" and "adding the familiar for realism though"... I think most modern military gear transfers fairly well though, aside from actual military weapons. I hate seeing a Barret .50 Cal. in a Clone's hands because people find it unfamiliar to them, but that's me... For some reason the MG-34 slipped through and was ok, possibly because of a 30+ year gap since they'd been in the mainstream, haha.

Anyway though, I like the touch of bedrolls... Call them tents, extra warmth at night, whatever... When the CW2D and other EU showed us the notion of sieges and whatnot in Star Wars terms, it really drives home that some things never change I think, and so some items are going to be universal, even in Star Wars... Imagine barbed wire? Or anti-armor obstacles? These things would serve the same purpose today as they did 60, 70, or 100 years ago on Earth... And they'd largely look the same. An AT-ST's just as likely to trip up on, or attempt avoiding a hedgehog, just as a Clone is to get his bodysuit and the chinks in his armor caught in barbed wire... just as those things are intended to do.

If I had some opinion to add though...

I recognize the base vehicle is a GI Joe Snowcat, and more basic it's a "halftrack". Halftracks are ok bases, but what I'd go with is removing the forward wheels all together, and try to find a single smaller "track" set off a cheap GI Joe thing. Perhaps an Armadillo (retail now) for instance. Make it a forward, single, central, steerable track... Making the vehicle a completely tracked item.

Create a possible trailer for it as well... Something to haul a little extra with it, assuming it's sneaking along to the front lines from a rear position, but it's small (so it can "sneak" relatively well), and maybe they want a trailer for extra gear they can bring to this precarious front line spot...

I'd also consider a little added armor (viewports/etc.) to protect the crew, and to paint the treads as with most Joe stuff the road wheels are not decorated and just cast in black for the tread. There's detail there that can get a dash of deco for sure.

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 02:47 AM || Skin by Metalaxe