Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol ***UPDATED***
MINIATURE-ART
post Aug 31 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,428

Hi all,

Haven't posted anything in over a year because of school. Here's pics of my newest project:

Hasbro released the Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol BattlePack last year, based on EU art seen in the Star Wars Cross-Section books.

At first I was satisfied with the set, but after a while, I decided that I didn't like cobbled together Biker Scout with his huge shoulders. The sloppy silver weathering really make the Speeder Bike look like a toy, and worst of all, the "legs" of the vehicle were way too long. I was perplexed as why Hasbro chose to reuse the vintage Speeder Bike, especially since they retooled a newer version with finer details for AOTC. Anyway, here's the original Hasbro toy out of the box:

Here's my reworked and modified Hoth Speeder Bike and Biker Scout:

The Biker Scout figure needed quite a bit of work to better resemble the original art.

Hasbro goofed by using the standard Biker Scout torso; their armor is the same as that of a Snowtrooper. I used a Target Hoth BattlePack Snowtrooper as the starting point of my figure's conversion.

I carefully cut off a VTAC Biker Scout's helmet, and neck joint, as well as his backpack and leg holster. These were glued, pinned, and puttied onto the Snowtrooper body. The armor was repainted white as I found the bright brown "stains" a bit distracting, and the kama was removed as well.

The Speeder Bike was modified by shortening the legs, so that the pedals actually touch the Biker Scout's feet; the T-bar was removed, and new horizontal handgrips were added. The center of the bike was narrowed by grinding excess plastic with a Dremel tool so the Biker Scout can sit properly on his seat. The Speeder Bike was repainted in a brighter white color with less weathering, and a Snowtrooper's backpack heater was added with a hose attached to the Biker Scout.

I finished off the modified Speeder Bike with a removeable clear 12" action figure stand by drilling an appropriate sized hole underneath the body.

The Speeder Bike Patrol deploys with Snowtroopers on their way to Echo Base!

Hope you guys like my latest effort. In the future, I'll exchange the Speeder Bike handles for the more detailed ones found on Clone Bikes.

BOBBY

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tworiverz
post Aug 31 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #2

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 489

They say that all the best things are worth waiting for, but come on a year tongue.gif , seriously, this is yet another piece of brilliance.

You always seem to make the odd change here and a little less of that there and come up with something that defines all the excellence of customising.

I Love it, and I thought you couldn't get better than your snowtrooper commander.

Really fantastic work.

Thanks for sharing, right , I'm off to the shops to buy the Hoth speeder patrol pack laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 31 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #3

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Awesome work. I have only two comments.
1)The legs still seem to restrict the scout's ability to sit down completely on the bike. Maybe ROTS AT-TE Gunner hip joints could fix that.
2) The top handlebars need to go. I like that you fixed the style to the horizontal but the verticals still detract from the look.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
Soja Rinn
post Sep 2 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Customizing General

Member No.: 2,011

i agree with Ash on #2. the verticals have to go.

these need a bit more weathering, especially on the front vanes. one recon trip and i'll be these things got pretty beat up and pitted.

these look great. the addition of the stands is a nice touch. good job on the trooper. looks seamless.

--------------------
Cast No Shadow

When Han Solo returns to the Death Star in the Millennium Falcon, and shoots down the TIE fighters and saves the Rebel cause, do you think he does so for a free beer?--Dwight Schrute

+Quote Post
comandantedavid
post Sep 10 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,956

Unbelievable work. The trooper alone is wonderful, but my favorite is the reworking of the foot pedals on the bike.

Agree with Ash as well: handles need some cutting!

+Quote Post
MINIATURE-ART
post Sep 15 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #6

----------------09/15/09 Update----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentiond in the original posting, I wanted to change the handlebars to something more accurate. My initial intention was to use the handlebars from the Clone Speeder Bike, but I haven't found any good deals on Ebay after checking for a few weeks. I've decided to modify the original handlebars, and here's the result:

These were the changes made:
1) Shorten the length of the handlebars by 1/4"
2) Add an additional diagonal support strut attached to the body
3) New cantilevered horizontal grips with thinner vertical grips
4) Added brake cables to the handlebars
5) Added paint chips and weathering to the body

I'm pretty satisfied with how the Hoth Speeder Bike looks now, so I consider this project done. Hope you guys like the modifications!

BOBBY

Another change, wire guard added to the pedals. Now it's finished!

And a how-to image of the handlebars:

#1-The horizontal grips and body support strut is plastic rod, 2 different diameters
#2-The vertical support for the grips is strip styrene held in place with CA glue and a metal pin
#3-In the actual vehicle, this piece is simply a motorcycle brake handle. I used a cut down Hasbro E-11 Blaster's grip because I thought it would look better
#4-The support strut base is simply the original vertical grips. It's not accurate but it's good enough for me!
I shortened the handlebars by 4mm, since they were too long and reassembled it with glue and pin.

Enjoy!

BOBBY

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Sep 15 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #7

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

The detail here is a bit on the overwhelming side. Welcome to the OCD club, friend. thumbup.gif The numbered picture/close up is overboard by even our standards (but keep it up).

I have a question on the brake cables: are they string or wire? If string how did you get them to stay posed/positioned?

The change in the handlebars from vertical to horizontal looks impressive. Which E-11 handle is it, the ones that have been coming with the VOTC (and beyond) stormies and most Imperials? Or is it the earlier PotF2 version?

(rhetorical) What's next?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Sep 16 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Wow, that's beyond amazing. Truly, truly impressive. One thing, it seems the Scout's body suit between the helmet and body armor should match the body suit color at the legs and arms.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
MINIATURE-ART
post Sep 16 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (pbarny @ Sep 15 2009, 07:45 PM) *
The detail here is a bit on the overwhelming side. Welcome to the OCD club, friend. thumbup.gif The numbered picture/close up is overboard by even our standards (but keep it up).

I have a question on the brake cables: are they string or wire? If string how did you get them to stay posed/positioned?

The change in the handlebars from vertical to horizontal looks impressive. Which E-11 handle is it, the ones that have been coming with the VOTC (and beyond) stormies and most Imperials? Or is it the earlier PotF2 version?

(rhetorical) What's next?

I'm aiming to set a new standard in customising. But seriously if you've seen my R/C tank webpage, this is nothing smile.gif

The cables are braided ship building string. You can pass them through a block of beeswax to stiffen them, or simply wet them, and they will dry more or less in place. The E-11 handles are the current soft viny ones. I simply cut them lengthwise to make the thinner.

BOBBY

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Sep 16 2009, 04:14 PM) *
Wow, that's beyond amazing. Truly, truly impressive. One thing, it seems the Scout's body suit between the helmet and body armor should match the body suit color at the legs and arms.

You know, I've been playing around with the custom for over a month, and I didn't even realize that. I'll repaint the torso area, as well as the gloves and boot straps!

BOBBY

--------------------

+Quote Post
comandantedavid
post Sep 18 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,956

I'd apologize for having been among those who thought this piece could be improved upon if the results weren't so stunning!

Not only did you "fix" the handles, but the wire guards you added are incredible. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
MINIATURE-ART
post Sep 20 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (comandantedavid @ Sep 18 2009, 09:34 PM) *
I'd apologize for having been among those who thought this piece could be improved upon if the results weren't so stunning!

Not only did you "fix" the handles, but the wire guards you added are incredible. thumbup.gif

No problem, I depend on feedback so I can improve on my custom work smile.gif

BOBBY

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Sep 30 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

I enjoyed the fix to the controls a lot... If I had one suggestion left for the bike (I think the figure's are perfect, personally), it'd be shortening the front rods so the bike is more squat and to-scale, as it should be. I keep hoping (I think it's going to happen eventually) Hasbro will redo the bike sculpt overall, but it's taking time for sure.

My biggest gripe has always been though, that it simply isn't to-scale... Quite oversized actually. So it'd be neat to see a current Kenner-sculpt shrunk down in at least length since it'd be tough to do with the bulk of the body.

Fantastic work though overall IMO. I really enjoy the finished product.

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 05:03 PM || Skin by Metalaxe