Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FFURG Casting Call #57, Tales of the Jedi (OFFICIAL)
Sgt Humpty
post Aug 4 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #21

Formerly DnJcustoms

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (tonphanan @ Aug 3 2009, 10:11 PM) *
OK. What are doing with this one? Are we still putting in nominations or are we waiting on Paul to reveal the topic?

I'd be in favor of almost any kind of army builder. Why not do Rebel Troopers or something like that? Any and all kinds of Rebel Troopers. A nice, broad topic that will appeal to many.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 4 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #22

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (DnJcustoms @ Aug 4 2009, 01:14 AM) *
I'd be in favor of almost any kind of army builder. Why not do Rebel Troopers or something like that? Any and all kinds of Rebel Troopers. A nice, broad topic that will appeal to many.

I'm trying to get people to post up the reasons they want to do 2 topics that came up pretty fast/early: Tales of the Jedi or WotC/minis art work. The one with the most "reasons why we should do it" will be decided this weekend.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Aug 4 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #23

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (pbarny @ Aug 4 2009, 07:40 AM) *
I'm trying to get people to post up the reasons they want to do 2 topics that came up pretty fast/early: Tales of the Jedi or WotC/minis art work. The one with the most "reasons why we should do it" will be decided this weekend.

Hmmm... I see. I'm not familiar with either of them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Aug 4 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #24

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

I would like to do the WOTC this time around because of the variety of characters and species that only have a figure in the miniature form. This will give all members a chase to do a variety of characters/costumes and species.

If WOTC gets the Call I know I would appreciate it if Paul could direct us to online references. I know I have not been able to find much on the WOTC site. I get most of my pics from things that RScum posts which is usually only a few charcters when previews for the next game are posted.

My Blacksun Bith is based on a WOTC miniature. I would like to see more of those type of figures.

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 4 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #25

This is what I could come up with in 10 minutes last night, and spent 2 minutes revising today:

The next Casting Call should be drawn from the minis and art of WotC. It is relatively unexplored by most people in the collecting
and customizing worlds. It will open up people to both classic characters, EU characters, as well as generic background fillers.

The available source material is overwhelming. Just recently there has been a preview of the latests suplament, The Rebellion Era
Sourcebook.
http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/...ra_Preview1.pdf has some of best pictures I've seen in a long time of the
Rebellion PAthfifnders,Marines and Pathfinders.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/fullarchives Has background of all the art galleries from all three versions of RPG book
as well as having all the miniatures, web extras and other materials anyone could need to base a custom off of.

This is probably the most wide open option of any Casting Call that may have been done. All eras, all types of customs: vehicles, main characters
minor characters, characters who have only seen plastic in the miniature format, artwork that few have seen. It also includes the other topic
that we are taking under consideration.

Going with WotC will leave one with inspiration for customs well beyond the time frame of this Casting Call. When one needs inspiration, just take a
glance through the minis gallery, select an era at random, and away you go.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 5 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #26

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Paul, just be sure that you're impartial when judging the validity of a CC topic for the month. You've been wanting WOTC minis for a while and it could skew your judgement. That being said, I'd be all for WOTC minis since I've done a couple already!

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 6 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (Delaton @ Aug 5 2009, 11:37 PM) *
Paul, just be sure that you're impartial when judging the validity of a CC topic for the month. You've been wanting WOTC minis for a while and it could skew your judgement. That being said, I'd be all for WOTC minis since I've done a couple already!

That's why I'm going to take 30 minutes (so longer period) and write a position piece of TotJ tonight. Plus, TotJ is my number 2 usually. So it's taking a bit of an internal toll no matter what. Plus I want to hear why people want one over the other. I'm giving a lot more direct input than any CC to day.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Aug 6 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #28

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,620

My vote goes out to TotJ. It's a series that has a special place in my heart, because of the epic story telling that takes place from GAotS up until Redemption. Much like WotC it is also relatively unexplored. I think this is because the TotJ comics are among Dark Horse's early SW comics and aren't that well known to newer fans (no offense).

I made a TotJ character once, a very minor one I might add, but it was great to flip through the pages of those comics again and see all the potential ideas for making customs. Uiesaentdtts also made a couple of TotJ era customs.

I looked at the WotC resource list, but find the pictures of the minis lacking in detail. Of course, this would give a customizer more artistic freedom in creating his/her custom, but the TotJ have more detailed pictures of characters, which I prefer. Also, I can't seem to find an art gallery, only previews of minis and descriptions of campaigns unsure.gif .

A TotJ Casting Call will also give participants plenty to choose from, just like WotC, but the time frame is set, unlike WotC. This would make the Casting Call more coherent, so to say.

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 6 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #29

Tales of the Jedi is often the forgotten era of the Star Wars saga. Sadly it is offten disrespected by many and the time
to do this casting call's window maybe shrinking because Hasbro will never visit it beyond the Sith Lords that are forthcoming.

That is a shame. The Sith Lords aren't even really the central charcter in the TotJ era, Nomi Sunrider is. Yes, Nomi Sunrider was
the first female and Jedi at that, to carry a whole series by herself. She was a trailblazer, and the story is still one of the
most powerful that exists in the saga.

Top that off there are many signficant supporting characters: Arca Jenth, Thon of Ambria, the Qel-Droma brothers, Tot Doneeta,
Vodo Baas, Sylvar and Crado the Cathar Jedi. We also see species we never see or have seen since: Celegians, Krevaaki, Miraluka, Nazar, Neti,
etc. There also is a variety of human species or near Humans such as the Sith themselves, but unique armies with unique designs
The Tetans, Krath, Oderrans, Mandalorians, and Jedi/Republic support troops.

Personally I've been working on a couple of troops from the land battle in the Empress Teta system when the Krath rebel, and Ulic is
wounded despite Nomi's best efforts to use battle meditation and heal him.

This is forgotten era, mostly because the first in the series actually appeared in news papers (mostly in Washington state) in the
90s before being made into a TPB which has had more than one name (see the lack of respect?). It than became a series of books
titles regressing back to the Golden Age of the Sith with KJA <sic> writing of the Jedi Academy trilogy. It got its name
from the first TPB by WEG/Decipher. WotC never gave it the proper respect during any of its run. It was only part of the the Universe
set intially, which was a total EU set. As far as suplaments it was only part of the history, sharing space equally with the
prequal/Rebellion/NJO eras. This is an outrage. On a grand time scale, TotJ is a larger era with much more possiblities. The final
indiginity done to TotJ was the renaming of its entire era to a video game that retconned some of the story to fit it's multiple
pathway game playff, a first for Lucas Licensing in 20 years off EU.

That's it, I'm angry. Let's give TotJ the respect it deserves. It is Casting Call 57 (and that is final).

If there's no major objections, it shall go "live" at the end of September, I understand it overlaps signficantly with the Hasbro
diorama contest, but 2 months for each is plenty of time. So let the Logo be designed, and the announcement go forth.

P.S.
Don and James can fight it out over who runs the next one, cuz I'm out after this.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Aug 7 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #30

In hopes of getting the creative juices flowing here is a link to many of the characters of the Tales of the Jedi era.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_of_the_jedi

--------------------

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
Ben Skywalker
post Aug 8 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #31

customizing knight

Member No.: 1,668

I get the first custom on here

Un-named Sith

--------------------
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

"Gentlemen never let it be said that I did not arrive first with the most"- Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest

"Blaming guns for crimes is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donell's obesity!"

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Aug 8 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #32

Customizing Knight

That's a cool one to kick off this CC, Ben. Really like the gold as it draws off attention to the otherwise very visible Stormtrooper armour. Love the head as well, where's it from?

What's the deadline for this one, by the way? August 31? Or September 30?

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Aug 8 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #33

Paul mentioned this would go live in Sept. So let's shoot for the Sept 30th deadline to get all the entires in. It would be nice to see alot more people this time around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Skywalker
post Aug 8 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #34

customizing knight

Thanks Incom! As for the head it's a modified SOTE Prince Xizor

--------------------

"Gentlemen never let it be said that I did not arrive first with the most"- Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 10 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #35

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

I'll be sitting this one out as well... y'all have fun.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 10 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #36

INCOMT65, the deadline will be October 2, so the first weekend after the end of September. Like I've said, gives plenty of time for anyone wanting to participate in the Hasbro dio contest (While wood or paper glue dries, you can paint your figures, and vice versa).

Here are some more reference links....

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/...klistPoster.pdf Only the bottom row of Mandos should be used...
http://www.wizards.com/swminis/swminis_db....amp;sort=number versions of Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma are valid.
http://www.wizards.com/swminis/swminis_db....amp;sort=number The Basalisk and Mando's again are valid.
http://www.wizards.com/swminis/swminis_aut...er&set=LotF Nomi Sunrider.
Jedia Academy set has Naga Sado, Krath War Droids, Master Baas, but I've not found any pictures yet.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starw...30417uaagallery
Cathar, Celegian
http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/uaa/49160_CN.jpg
Nazar, Neti
http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/uaa/49223_CN.jpg

http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Tales+of+the+Jedi Dark Horse's site, original source.

The following should not be considered for the debut. Remember, at least half of your figures for the debut should be new. Submit older ones "after" the debut has gone up. I put them up solely as "inspiration".

My version of the Old Republic Trooper, Taken from TotJ Omnibus Vol 2.

Master Arca Jenth & Aprentices (Can be seen in CC: Masters & Aprentices)

Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma, Dark Lords of Sith

If you have any old PotF2 fodder, this maybe the ideal time to use it. The characters are bigger/bulkier, they are armored, things look a bit more "Middle Ages" than "an elegant (weapon), in a more civilized age".

So there's some more to get you started, there's about 7+ weeks to go before the debut.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Aug 12 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #37

Customizing Knight

Nice ones, Paul, especially that Old Rep Trooper. For inspiratioal purposes as well, I'll post my Krath Shocktrooper, which I made sometime last year:

And here's my first WIP shot of my entry for this CC:

I've been wanting to make this character (or see it made by others), and this Casting Call made me take the plunge into the deep. I hope I can pull it off!

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
Ben Skywalker
post Aug 12 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #38

customizing knight

Okay I kinda went on a customizing spree

Ancient Sith

Ulic Qel-Droma
[img]
Cay Qel-Droma

Exar Kun (needs another head, any ideas?)

Group Shot

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 12 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Ben Skywalker @ Aug 12 2009, 04:18 PM) *
Okay I kinda went on a customizing spree

Exar Kun (needs another head, any ideas?)

You have access to the DTC Spirit Iron Knife heads from GI Joe? Has a decent set of long hair, stern facial expression.

http://www.yojoe.com/action/06/images/spir...fe2_large.shtml There's also a bright green suit version too. Same sculpt, different paint aps. http://www.yojoe.com/action/05/spirit5.shtml

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Ben Skywalker
post Aug 12 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #40

customizing knight

Unfortunatly, no. I actually don't have any Joe figures

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:19 PM || Skin by Metalaxe