Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Massive Han Solo Project Pt 5: Return Of The Jedi
meandnooneelse
post Jul 7 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Building a custom figurenator!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,106

It’s funny that the ROTJ Han was why I started the massive Han Solo Project, but I wasn’t happy with the initial pictures I took, so I never posted it. Well here it is…

I started into serious customizing because I wanted an excellent looking, well articulated Han Solo figure based on “Return of the Jedi”. In my opinion this was the definitive look for Han being that it combined his attire from both “A New Hope” and “The Empire Strikes Back”.

I like to give credit where credit is due, so I want to thank FFURG forum member DARKLORD for posting his Bespin Han mock-up which gave me direction as to how I should build my custom ROTJ Han Solo.

At first I wanted a Han with a swivel head post because the VTSC Han Solo Hasbro gave us had a long neck and small head, so this was the result.

Parts:
Head – POTF2 Commtech Han Solo
Torso – POTJ Bespin Capture Han Solo
Arms/Vest – VTSC/ Shield Generator Assault Battle Pack Han Solo
Waist (modified) and upper legs – TSC Carbonite/Carkoon/Sarlacc BP Han Solo
Lower Legs – TAC Bespin Torture Han Solo/ Shield Generator Assault Battle Pack Han Solo
Blaster – Custom made from Saga Endor Raid Han Solo and POTJ Bespin Capture Han Solo

I ended up making several Return Of The Jedi Han Solo figures to try different parts combinations, paint applications, and customizing techniques. Many of the different versions of the same figure that I did were just trying different parts to see how they work together. Here are three of them I made with the same basic recipe with a few variants each. The one on the far right has a non-removable vest that I made by cutting and combining the torsos of the TAC Pilot Han Solo and the TSC Carbonite Han Solo.

Parts:
Heads, waists, torsos, right hands, and upper legs – TSC Carbonite/Carkoon/Sarlacc BP Han Solo
Arms/Vest – VTSC/ Shield Generator Assault Battle Pack Han Solo
Lower Legs – TAC Bespin Torture Han Solo/ Shield Generator Assault Battle Pack Han Solo
Feet – TAC Death Star Trooper
Blasters – Custom made from Saga Endor Raid Han Solo and POTJ Bespin Capture Han Solo
Gun Belt/Holsters – Custom made from VTSC Endor Han gun belt with TAC Yavin Luke retainer

While working on this project the Shield Generator Assault Battle Pack came out. It had a new Han head sculpt so I had to make another custom featuring the new sculpt. It’s the same basic parts as above.

From there I could not deny the fact that Han had 2 different hairstyles in Return of the Jedi.

Hairstyle 1, parted in the middle:

Hairstyle 2, parted to the side:

So I had to make customs for the side part. I tried using the Saga Endor Raid Han solo for this, but the head is kinda small and the sculpt is a little off, so I used the Saga/OTC AT-ST disguise Han solo head.

A bi-product of all this customizing was a Saga Endor Raid Han solo for which I dyed the vest black. It looks much better:

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Jul 8 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

In your last trio of figures I like the heads on the first and third. The third one is probably the best of the group. Are all those heads the AT-ST Han?
Something about the second Han head in that trio reminds me of the original vintage line. This is a nice dedication for the Ultimate Han. Any plans to update or add articulation to Bespin Han?

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Jul 9 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (tonphanan @ Jul 8 2009, 09:52 PM) *
In your last trio of figures I like the heads on the first and third. The third one is probably the best of the group. Are all those heads the AT-ST Han?
Something about the second Han head in that trio reminds me of the original vintage line. This is a nice dedication for the Ultimate Han. Any plans to update or add articulation to Bespin Han?
Yes, those three are all AT-ST Han heads. It's amazing how much variation there is in every AT-ST Han that I've had (at least 7 of them) Some of them looked really bad so I'd resell them on ebay and pickup another one until I found another good one. I have one or two of the AT-ST driver bodies leftover if anybody wants to trade for 'em.

As far as the Bespin Han, I have already done it. The Massive Han Solo Project Pt 2; Bespin Han Solo

--------------------

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Jul 9 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Many people are satisfied with the crappy versions of Han Solo that Hasbro has thrown our way and wonder why I have put so much effort into my little project. Here are some pictures I took to show why I wanted a better Han Solo. The first points out some off the problems with the Vintage Saga Collection Endor Han. The next is a comparison shot of the VTSC version and my custom.

In addition to the problems in the picture above, I hate the split torso articualtion of this figure. That is part of why his torso is too large, but it also puts this weird line in the center of his abdomen.

Here my custom really stands out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jul 9 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #5

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

I don't think I mind the split articulation in the torso, but you do see the massive upgrades that you made to the gaps in the shoulders and neck/head. Also, he's got a peanut for a head no matter the hairstyle. Your improvements are drastic and well executed.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
DARKLORD
post Oct 20 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 375

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Jul 9 2009, 01:05 PM) *

HOT DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! That's HAN SOLO!!!! Very well done, meandnooneelse!! You have absolutely NAILED Solo with these excellent customs!! I'm just so honored to (in a very small way) have served as inspiration for these AMAZING custom figures!! Wow!!! Wow!! WOW!! You have some serious skills, my friend!!

I showed that first photo of your custom Han and Chewie to my Custom Boba Fett sitting on my work bench, and he got really riled up!! He wants me to hurry up and finish him so that he can get back on the job gunning for those two! thumbup.gif

You ought to be proud, good buddy! You ought to be REALLY proud!

BTW, I LOVE that left hand you used for Endor Han. Where'd it come from?

+Quote Post
DARKLORD
post Oct 20 2010, 07:11 AM
Post #7

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 375

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Jul 7 2009, 03:35 PM) *
The one on the far right has a non-removable vest that I made by cutting and combining the torsos of the TAC Pilot Han Solo and the TSC Carbonite Han Solo.

That is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS! I really don't think the average personal has any idea how much skill and steadiness of hand an operation like that requires!

I'm floored and dazzled!!

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Oct 21 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #8

Thank you for the kind words DARKLORD. If not for your inspiration, and ideas for the legs, it never woulda happened!

The left hand is from the ROTS Jedi Kick Obi-Wan. I believe Tonphanan had 3 of them that I got from him trades just for the hands. I leter converted one of the leftover Obi-Wans into a Christmas ornament.

Good news for anyone wanting a Han Solo head with the altenate hair style (from the AT-ST disguise Han) they will be available in the next preorder from Slayer Design Studios.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cub Trooper Prod...
post Oct 21 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #9

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,049

wown your right up there with DARKLORD aren't ya?
lol these are very well done and i don't see to much to say where it comes to improvemnet i'm sorry..
but yeah again nicely done

--------------------
Cub Trooper Productions
If you come to be original then let yourself SHINE!!

+Quote Post
Mwa-Kol Deem
post Feb 3 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,415

Great custom! Now I HAVE TO make my own. Just wondering how you got the Shield Generator Battle Pack Han Solo head on that neck of the Carbonite Han torso without him looking squatty. Did you have to modify the neck at all. Also, having a tough time getting the Cabonite/Carkoon torso opened. Not as easy as the TVC figures, seems its a softer plastic. You've made so many of these, by this point, you must be a pro at getting these figures apart. Any suggestions?

+Quote Post
Mwa-Kol Deem
post Feb 3 2012, 02:00 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,415

Any neck work done to the torso to get this head on there properly. Mine definitely doesn't fit right on without looking as though he has no neck. Also, whats the best way to get that torso opened?

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Feb 5 2012, 01:55 AM
Post #12

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

QUOTE (Mwa-Kol Deem @ Feb 3 2012, 02:00 AM) *

Any neck work done to the torso to get this head on there properly. Mine definitely doesn't fit right on without looking as though he has no neck. Also, whats the best way to get that torso opened?

First welcome to the boards. Not too much activity here anymore, but I will try to answer your questions as best as I can. When it comes to neck not fitting properly, in your case the neck is swallowed by the head hole. The most common remedy is to fill in the head hole with a small ball of clay then put in the neck post. Trim away any clay that may ooze out. The head will fit and have full articulation.

Cracking a torso can be an aggravating process. The starting point is to use an xacto blade and run it along the seams of the body. This will take SEVERAL slices to get through the body. Depending on what line and year and era of body you are cracking will depend on what to do once there is room to get inside the cavity. Usually a thin screwdriver is enough to pop open the body. Other methods include boiling then prying, Wrapping the torso in a piece of cloth and squeezing it in a clap, others use a dremel along the seams to open up the body which it the easiest if the arms is all you are after and will NEVER need the torso agin as the plastic will be melted beyond repair.

Hope this helps get you in a direction.

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post May 22 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #13

Sorry, I don't do much customizing, especially Star Wars, anymore. Thanks to Tonphanan for picking up the ball for me here. Mwa-Kol Deem, this torso is one that is sold soft pvc. You don't crack it, you boil-n-pop to remove it from the waist or take the arms off. I had to do lots of exacto knife surgery and dremeling to make the arm sockets fit the vintage collection arms. I also had to trans plant a neck ball. You will need some good plastics glue intended for PVC use to make this work. I prefer Surehold's Plastic Surgery.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 05:43 AM || Skin by Metalaxe