Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting to loose collecting
tonphanan
post May 11 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Group: Members
Member No.: 256

I will be moving once again and will need to open my carded collection in order to save space. I will be obtaining bookcases and stands to make this work. I have seen what Corran and Del have done with their collections so I was just throwing it out there on anything else I need to know or consider when I do this. Things like what to do with any accessories that the figure may not have enough arms for and best way to keep the dust off, and display ideas. This will be a time consuming process as I have 6 50Gal totes with just 3 3/4 figures.

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delaton
post May 11 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Dust happens, even behind glass. Although my glass doors were purely to keep kitty paws away, they do help a bit.

Some advise:

- Stay consistent with the brand of shelf you want to get. I stayed with a brand available from Staples that used to go on sale periodically for $25 per 72" high shelf unit. I'd buy what I needed at the time and since Staples has free shipping, they were there when I got home. The downside is that the quality is not fine furniture. Jason's are much nicer for that.

- Determine if you will need additional shelves. Some systems might only come with one fixed and two adjustable shelves each. Mine came with 3 adjustable. However, if it's just figures you're displaying and not ships or tall things, then find out if you can get more shelves. Because I used white melamine, I can buy any standard 1/2" thick white edge-banded melamine and make more shelves.

- Determine where you'll be placing these shelves. I had a recent plumbing fiasco right into the SW room in the basement. No collection damage, but most of the new shelves I put up at Xmas time last year are now a little puffy on the bottom where they got wet. Oh well. Everything's dry now. Bottom line is particle core furniture is cheaper but doesn't stand up well to moves or moisture.

- Figure out if you'll be displaying one-of-each figure or scenes. If it's one-of-each, then you might want to consider tiered or stepped displays. These can be fabricated from wood, bought in a store (spice shelves), or you can do what I did, build them out of foamcore and hot glue.

- Boxed displays can be difficult in fixed dimension shelving, like what I have. I never realized that every vintage box is slightly different in size. Playing Tetris to get everything displayed appropriately and without wasting space was a long process. If you want to display boxes, consider long wall-mounted shelving like what Jason did for his.

- You could build your own shelves, like my main cases. The clear distances were achieved by not over-loading and using 1-3/8 thick hollow-core door slabs from home depot. A 18" wide, 80" high bifold pair may only cost $35. If you can figure out a support system, it's a great alternative.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 14 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #3

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Ash has pretty much hit the nail on the head. When looking for shelving and other display furniture be weary of pricing and look for sales. As I've mentioned in my Collection Room thread, I've stalked clearances at Staples and wound up buying three different bookcases for under $45 total where they probably cost 4 times as much originally. So there's some legwork to be done there. Target and Wal-Mart sell 72" tall x 24" wide x 12" deep bookcases for between $20-$25 in a variety of colors, so keep an eye out there.

In regards to the spice racks, have a look at the plain white ones I've used they're called the "Expand-A-Shelf", they go for $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond, I just bought 3 more recently and thanks to a $10 off coupon I essentially got one free. These are great for maximizing the number of figures you can display on a shelf. As you can see there are a variety of items that can help you out in your displaying such as acrylic cases for baseballs or those bears everyone used to collect - I use some of those to prop up vehicles in a sort of floating kind of way (see my vintage B-Wing).

Also since we're talking loose figures - action figure stands will be a good investment. Many of the early figures cannot stand on their own without a lot of work so figure stands help make things a lot easier. There's several sites you can buy from, as well as eBay. Of course many figures came with their own stands so you're already off to a good start there.

And think about how you want to display the toys, in diorama form or at least by some sort of common thread. I find doing both makes the displays a lot more fun to look at.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 14 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #4

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE (CorranHorn @ May 14 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Also since we're talking loose figures - action figure stands will be a good investment. Many of the early figures cannot stand on their own without a lot of work so figure stands help make things a lot easier. There's several sites you can buy from, as well as eBay. Of course many figures came with their own stands so you're already off to a good start there.

And think about how you want to display the toys, in diorama form or at least by some sort of common thread. I find doing both makes the displays a lot more fun to look at.

One problem I've run into lately is there doesn't seem to be any more REAL ACTION Stands, which were clear acrylic plastic with 2 footpegs. Great because 1 stand could do twice the work of Has-blows.

Don't be afraid to "hang" a ship or speeder above figures in a shelf. Use of decals or spray painting to a flat color could help accent different things.

If you go the build your own route, either spice rack or traditional "book case", there's so many jigs and plans out there.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 01:15 PM || Skin by Metalaxe