Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Replica Cardback" Discussion at Rebelscum
tykrazen
post May 7 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

I wanted to give folks here the heads up - there's been an ongoing heated discussion over in the Rebelscum vintage section over "replica cardbacks" and FFURG is being discussed. One of the points which has been raised is the ease of accessibility to carding techniques here.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?...part=3&vc=1

Given the flack MecannoMan received over there a few weeks ago, folks over here may want to check out the thread and the arguments made against recarding.

And I do think they've raised a legitimate question, should we limit access to the recarding information like has been done with the template vault?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 7 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #2

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

I need a shower anytime anything comes from the 'scum forums. Followed by full exfoilation of the skin. ph34r.gif

First, they insulted his eminance, the FFURG Pope.

Next, this is a hobby site. We teach, share, and exchange ideas. It's why I'll ask the same question 5 times in replies (mostly because some lack explanation).

If lurkers or people who don't share what they do, how they do it, and why they do it, they aren't part of this "community". If they are so concerned about our practices here, come here, join and put the pressure on us to change. Neither group is part of this community so I couldn't care less about what they have to say. For those who are part of this community, and do see this as a problem, than here's my alternative suggestion: password lock all the forrums in order to view, but you'd have to ask Tim or Jason how that could be done if possible at all.

The real blame lies in first the dishonest reselling of reproductiosn of all things! Next, it comes down to how informed the buyer is. If they want to do sight unseen, not do any leg work of their own, WC Fields had some choice words for them. I'm not going to upset the balance of what we do here because some idiot was too intellectually lazy to do an internet search for 15-20 minutes.

I'd like to say more about how censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif retards these stupid censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif are. But obviously I can't say how botched (certain surgical procedure with unwanted pregnancies) shouldn't have opinions, because they're here now despite their parents best efforts and entitled to them. (That's old school harsh for you).

Anyone else want some?

Edit: It's a false arguement that we have to be restrictive of our content because some one abuses it. We don't hold Organic Chemistry or Pharmacology or Neurobiology professors responsible for when a new drug hits the streets. The knowledge can only come from their classes/skill sets. If we catch the abuser, we'll always report it to any and all who want to know. The buyer is ultimately responsible. See all above.

This post has been edited by pbarny: May 7 2009, 11:32 AM

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 7 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,916

QUOTE (pbarny @ May 7 2009, 10:02 AM) *
If lurkers or people who don't share what they do, how they do it, and why they do it, they aren't part of this "community".

Would I be a lurker if I have yet to post any pictures? I only started contemplating this since January. I have started only by practices on my painting skills (which suck) and soft goods making. I do plan to get around to picture-taking soon of what I have managed to attempt. Then I need to learn to post the pictures. I've already registered at one of the suggested photo sites.

And I read that whole arguement on the other forum from the link in this thread. I have my own minor opinions. All I can say is that I like the tips I get here for craeting my own PERSONAL toys. Plus, I suck so bad at it so far I couldn't give any away at this point!

That's just my thought for the day.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 7 2009, 01:12 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Andy @ May 7 2009, 12:19 PM) *
Would I be a lurker if I have yet to post any pictures? I only started contemplating this since January. I have started only by practices on my painting skills (which suck) and soft goods making. I do plan to get around to picture-taking soon of what I have managed to attempt. Then I need to learn to post the pictures. I've already registered at one of the suggested photo sites.

And I read that whole arguement on the other forum from the link in this thread. I have my own minor opinions. All I can say is that I like the tips I get here for craeting my own PERSONAL toys. Plus, I suck so bad at it so far I couldn't give any away at this point!

That's just my thought for the day.

offtopic.gif Until you do, yes you'll be a lurker. But you've gone beyond, and there's no reason to wait and wait. We're here like I said to be a site about the hobby. We teach, we offer advice, we share. We welcome you in once you decide to be active. You're not gaining anything from the wealth of advice and expierence by not sharing as soon as possible.

You can only learn by failing. Success means you have not learned. graduated.gif Enough of us here have failed, but by putting it up and saying, what happened or here's what I did, where did it go wrong, one doesn't get the full picture of the hobby. I've only been a member of the boards for five years. There are a few who've been here that long and were part of the list-serv before that. We've all been the student and the teacher eventually.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post May 7 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (pbarny @ May 7 2009, 01:12 PM) *
offtopic.gif Until you do, yes you'll be a lurker. But you've gone beyond, and there's no reason to wait and wait. We're here like I said to be a site about the hobby. We teach, we offer advice, we share. We welcome you in once you decide to be active. You're not gaining anything from the wealth of advice and expierence by not sharing as soon as possible.

You can only learn by failing. Success means you have not learned. graduated.gif Enough of us here have failed, but by putting it up and saying, what happened or here's what I did, where did it go wrong, one doesn't get the full picture of the hobby. I've only been a member of the boards for five years. There are a few who've been here that long and were part of the list-serv before that. We've all been the student and the teacher eventually.

Andy, don't take that to mean that being a lurker is a "bad" thing. It just means you haven't really taken the plunge to become an active contributor. Being part of the community means participation and contribution. Everyone here is or was a lurker at some point...

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post May 7 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #6

Customizing General

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (pbarny @ May 7 2009, 09:02 AM) *
I need a shower anytime anything comes from the 'scum forums. Followed by full exfoilation of the skin. ph34r.gif

First, they insulted his eminance, the FFURG Pope.

The real blame lies in first the dishonest reselling of reproductiosn of all things! Next, it comes down to how informed the buyer is. If they want to do sight unseen, not do any leg work of their own, WC Fields had some choice words for them. I'm not going to upset the balance of what we do here because some idiot was too intellectually lazy to do an internet search for 15-20 minutes.

I said many of the same things in that thread, but not so colorfully... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 7 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (DnJcustoms @ May 7 2009, 01:34 PM) *
Andy, don't take that to mean that being a lurker is a "bad" thing. It just means you haven't really taken the plunge to become an active contributor. Being part of the community means participation and contribution. Everyone here is or was a lurker at some point...

What I would hope Andy to do, is post today his work. There's no rule about quality, level of completeness etc. Plus if he's not happy with something before it is "finished" we can help. Community membership does have it's benefits thumbup.gif

QUOTE (tykrazen @ May 7 2009, 01:42 PM) *
I said many of the same things in that thread, but not so colorfully... wink.gif

Yes, well I doubt they'd understand even if some one read and explained it to them. I am a bit miffed at you though, Ty, because FFURG was out of the discussion till you mentioned it. Although glad another feels that this place is not about profit but about a hobby.

And I would love to have the carded guys speak up and shout them down. Of course, logic and passion for their/our hobby and it's uses would be wasted on most of the poo.gif for brains there, they should speak out on the positives of what they do.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
GameSix
post May 7 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #8

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,778

I'm not even bothering to click the link. I don't feel the need to get my blood all boiled up right now. I'll say that up front.

I spent time reading exactly one Vintage Forum discussion before vowing never to read another. Some very close-minded and opinionated people exist there with the sole interest of protecting their "investment".

I really don't give a damn what they think or how much they feel someone's hobby affects them personally. Sorry if I sound pissy, but I have very little patience for overzealousness these days.

The arguement that if you are now 38 years old, and want a card for the Darth Vader figure you've held on to since you were six years old (which is quite an amazing accomplishment BTW!), then you should have to pay hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to purchase one (like they did!) -- all to protect a niche group of collectors' own personal interests -- is just plain ludicrous and reeks of greed in my opinion. I mean, who would you even buy one from? That's right -- the same people telling you how "harmful" it is to make your own.

We're not talking about priceless works or art here, people. We're talking about plastic toys and paper. Sheesh!!

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post May 7 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #9

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

I'm with you GS! I wasn't smart enough to avoid clicking the link, but I did manage to remain calm. The one point of view I agreed with was that it is wrong to create exact reproductions for the purpose of scamming thousands of dollars out of people who (sadly) don't know better. But that argument applies to just about everything, it certainly isn't exclusive to SW. The idea that it's wrong to create a replica card for your own personal use is just asinine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 8 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Customizing Knight

QUOTE (pbarny @ May 7 2009, 01:12 PM) *

Okay...so this is an apology, still off topic I guess since I'm also just learning how to use these forum things. I'm almost 40 and not that tech inclined. Forgive me. We aren't all a computer wiz.

And I also apologize for not having read anywhere on here that there was a time limit as how long one could be registered and read and learn BEFORE posting pics. Which like I said in my earlier post, I'm going to do. But I have never posted pictures in a forum before. I obviously stand corrected.

Please let me know if I'm too mentally slow to be welcomed here and I will gladly not return. Because I'm NOT too mentally slow to know when someone sounds off to me in a nasty tone (sort of like that OTHER forum that is the topic of this thread).

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 8 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #11

I have now three times encouraged all people who intend to post to do it fast. There have been purges before of non-responive and low post accounts who have been registered for a period of time in the past (no insight if any are goign to happen). You gain more, gain it sooner, and have it longer the sooner you do. What "it" is varies. Post questions in the Techniques/How to section if pictures aren't ready. Post about would these parts and this combo of paint work. I welcome you and thank you for being a brave non-luker frome here on out.

Copy and paste are your friends (ctrl+c/ctrl+v, no clue on a Mac). I know photobucket now does it so it autocopies. And if you're having problems with a specific feature of a given site and posting the pics here, ASK.

The anger is solely directed at the censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif retards at the otheR Site who are being hypocritcal in their actions towards our hobby and indirectly our site. I come from a gang mentality upbrining/team sports/locker room youth. A swing at one of us is a swing at all. (Added benefit of participation).

I am being overzealous here because it hit a pet peeve of my adult life as a researcher, intelectual dishonesty. Can't post the full thing here due to politics, but if they're American, they're traitors (and you all know the universal penalty for traitors, right?). That's one reason I love FFURG, it is the exchange of customizing ideas good and bad. It is the learning, the growth and mastery of art/technique, a skill that is elusive and hard for me to develop. I want to see some one like Andy's posts (I'll go as far as I almost need to see it) to see the progression and new twists he'll bring to old favorites (everyone will eventually do an astromech) to Imperial/Rebel head swaps, to takes on EU characters.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 8 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Customizing Knight

I wish you would have said it that way the first time pbarny. That was better thought out and didn't come across nearly as harsh. At least when I feel I have something to say in a post, I say it. I want to be more active, I'm just trying to get my bearings. I don't like harsh exchanges through online confrontations. There are plenty of other places on the net for that. I like peaceful online communities and I find these forums suit that.

Now a couple things on-topic. I read almost all of that thread mentioned here. I think the point was missed by them about this forum. I never got the impression this forum was an underground for bootleggers looking to make a buck. I genuinely get the impression most here feel like I do and want to customize for their personal benefit. Mine won't be going anywhere. They are mine. If I'm gonna work that hard and invest the time I'm starting to realize it takes, I'm gonna appreciate the fruits of my labor. Now, I do know those other people were aimed at the cardbacks. Personally, I have no interest in that aspect. I want to touch and look at my stuff. And I also agree that a "true" collector will know what and what not to look for when buying for investments. That thread was blown way out of proportion. Being over defensive is usually a sign of jealousy or guilt or both.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 03:40 AM || Skin by Metalaxe