Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Painting Styrofoam
Yodaman
post Apr 29 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,277

I have never done any dioramas before, but for the stop motion Marvel comics universe fan film I'm planning I think I might make a few large, diorama-esque set pieces. The first one I'm going to start is the exterior of an open window, made in scale for the 6" Marvel Legends action figures. I'm planning on using Styrofoam for this, which I have never worked with. As a newbie at this, I have a very simple question. What is the best paint to use for Styrofoam based dioramas? Is there a specific type of paint for the base coat? I've heard it has to be water based, and I've heard that acrylic and latex paints work, but I just want to hear from you guys what's the best.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Apr 30 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #2

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

I'd use Tempura paints, like the stuff we used in grade school art class. They're cheap, large bottles, available at craft stores, and won't damage the styrofoam. Whatever you do, never use spray paints on it. You'll end up dissolving the styrofoam.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 30 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #3

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Got to second what Ash said. For high school and community theater set pieces we'd use styrofoam and whatever paint they had in the art classroom. ph34r.gif

I'm trying to remember if we used foam or bristle brushes though. You may have to use a couple of coats to fill in the holes/gaps depending on how smooth your surfaces are. It's not a big deal in a staged production with people 15 feet away but upclose with what you're talking about, it may matter.

graduated.gif Chemistry lesson, because acrylic and latex are both "water soluble" they would work. Stay away from those needing special solvents because the styrofoame is soluble in organic solvents (to an extent).

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post May 1 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

QUOTE (Delaton @ Apr 30 2009, 05:49 AM) *
I'd use Tempura paints, like the stuff we used in grade school art class. They're cheap, large bottles, available at craft stores, and won't damage the styrofoam. Whatever you do, never use spray paints on it. You'll end up dissolving the styrofoam.

of course, this can make for some interesting, earth/ground-like effects too~

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 08:53 PM || Skin by Metalaxe