Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Planning out a custom-built Z-95
Roland
post Apr 12 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,946

I've decided to try my hand at shipbuilding with sheet styrene. I figure a Z-95 should be fairly simple to start with, so I'm in the planning stages.
If I build it to scale, then it would be just over 2 feet long, which is a bit much (longer than the current X-wings). So, I've decided to scale it based on the current X-wing mold, which is 18" long (and wide, coincidentally). According to canon, the X-wing is 12.5 m. Based on that, the Z-95 (at 11.8 m) should be just at 17" long.

As for other parts, I'm thinking about cannibalizing a new A-wing for the cockpit (and possibly the canopy too). I want to make the Mark I version with the triple blasters instead of the X-wing style cannons, but I haven't located anything yet that I really like (the new Dagger Sqaudron B-wing cannons are cool, however).

For now, I'm going to draw the design out on Photoshop and work with cardboard (tip from FFURG's site...very smart) until I get the hull just right. Also read a tip about using ABS pipe for an internal skeleton, which I also like. Still reading some other posts and such to gain more wisdom before moving ahead (Delaton's thread is very interesting so far...and part of the inspiration to get started).

Anyone got any other suggestions? I've never tried building a ship from scratch, but I've wanted to for a long time. I'm really looking forward to working on this biggrin.gif !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 03:36 AM || Skin by Metalaxe