Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stormtrooper Transport (complete model), Imperial Battle Tank ('original' design)
glorbes
post Mar 31 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,756

Are there any ships in the expanded universe that are designed to carry Stormtroopers? I'm thinking of something akin to the Republic Gunship, but from the timeline of the original trilogy. I may design something myself, but I'd like to see if there are any pre-existing designs first. Any images/info would be appreciated, as I am looking to start a scratchbuild.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 31 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #2

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

You mean like the Sentinel Class Landing ship seen in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition?

The A10 Juggernaught Heavy Assault vehicle in the early Empire?

How about a Chariot LAV?

AT-ATs since one tactic of the Rebels was to put mines that are attracted to repulsor vehicles, thus necesitating the walker use. AT-AT has it in it's acroynm (All TERRAIN ARMORED TRANSPORT).

Just about anything from Force Commander, Star Wars Battle Grounds, Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Empire at War would do. There's a few additional speeder trucks that are used, but only on extreme Outter Rim Worlds where they are in the Empire, but it's fairly autonomous.

Beyond general concept, what else do you have in mind?

I would point you to an old roleplaying source book, The Imperial Sourcebook, from West End Games. It's out of print, but a few of us around here have and make use of it. The Essential Vehicles and Enclyclopedias seem not to have much info from these sources, but if you can find some in Bill Slavisecks Guide to the Star Wars Universe 3rd and possibly 4th Editions. Beyond that, can use those terms in [sic]wookiepedia[sic] and other places.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Mar 31 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Don't forget the vintage Kenner Imperial Troop Transporter. This was the vehicle that supposedly destroyed the sand crawler and the Lars homestead in ANH.

Click Here For Imperial Troop Transporter Info

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 31 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Mar 31 2009, 01:24 PM) *
Don't forget the vintage Kenner Imperial Troop Transporter. This was the vehicle that supposedly destroyed the sand crawler and the Lars homestead in ANH.

Click Here For Imperial Troop Transporter Info

That's been pretty much refuted in other sources. 2 Thermal detonators and a couple of chest shots at the Lars homestead. The Sandcrawler was a sentinel air lifting a couple domesticated Banthas in and out and a T21 and E11 work.

Although that vehicle was later used as the basis for the armored speeder truck in WotC Arms and Equipment guide.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Mar 31 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #5

Hmmm, I remember reading about it being the Troop Transporter in one of the few EU books I've read. I think it was Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina. Take it or leave it, it's been memorialized in plastic where as the others have not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
glorbes
post Mar 31 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #6

pbarny, thanks for the suggestions. The Chariot looks pretty sharp, actually...I'm thinking I may adapt that design slightly and come up with my own spin...something a little clunkier that combines elements of the AT-ST or AT-AT.

As for the Kenner troop transport, I did consider making something that paid homage to it...but I think I'd rather give something else a go thumbup.gif

Thanks, everyone.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 31 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #7

Double checked over dinner (gotta love short stories). It was a cargo skiff for the Jawa Transport.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Mar 31 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #8

Rats! With all our talk I now want to find me a Vintage Troop Transporter on eBay! It will go well with my next big project! (Which I will start a thread about later!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Apr 1 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #9

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (pbarny @ Mar 31 2009, 01:52 PM) *
That's been pretty much refuted in other sources. 2 Thermal detonators and a couple of chest shots at the Lars homestead. The Sandcrawler was a sentinel air lifting a couple domesticated Banthas in and out and a T21 and E11 work.

Although that vehicle was later used as the basis for the armored speeder truck in WotC Arms and Equipment guide.

Ahhh, ignore him, Gene. I like the ITT way better than the other ideas. I've been thinking of another cool custom idea for awhile now, if only I can get my hands on another one...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Apr 1 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Rats! With all our talk I now want to find me a Vintage Troop Transporter on eBay! It will go well with my next big project! (Which I will start a thread about later!)

I have a bunch of Imperial Trooper Transport hulks available for sale. I could probably cobble together 1 or 2 complete ones, as long as you don't mind yellowed plastic and cast parts (battery cover and radar dish).

PM me if interested.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
glorbes
post May 16 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #11

Here's what I came up with! Thanks to everyone for aiding in the development of this concept.

Section 1: Concept

Well, I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. As fun as it was creating the flying wing, the last crusade tank, and the Star Wars vehicles I've done up to this point, I kind of wanted to do an original design vehicle. But, to start, I figured I'd start with something familiar, as well as something basic in terms of shape. The basic idea was to create a vehicle that could fit in the Star Wars universe...perhaps something that could be mistaken for a discarded Joe Johnston or Ralph McQuarrie design, that would evoke the original trilogy's aesthetic. From this point, I started to do some rough sketches:

These sketches show the evolution of the design. The shapes are deliberatly boxy, since I wanted to keep it pretty simple in terms of construction (I intend to branch out and try some curvier designs for later projects). The final sketch was a finalized rough sketch of what I intended to build, though there were elements that I dropped.

Next Up: Construction!

Section 2:

This image is the most basic beginning of the construction process. The shapes for the structures are drawn out on styrene, scored, and snapped out. I then glue the pieces for each section together, and attach them. I've recently become very conscious of the materials I use...the glue that I commonly use states that it causes all kinds of extreme health problems, so I have set up a section of my work room that is next to a large, wide open window with a fan for circulating the fumes and blowing them outside. I also close the door to the room to make sure that my pets and my wife aren't around this stuff. It's a tad chilly, but I figure my brain functioning and the health of everyone I live with is worth the slight discomfort.

A series of boxes, that are then attached to each other. This really is how it is done. In many respects, styrene is extremely easy to work with, and with a little practice and planning, I think everyone would be able to tackle many projects similar to this one. I always mean to take exhaustive WIP pictures, but I always get so caught up in the project that I forget to. Oh well.

Once the main structure is complete, I putty and sand the gaps and seams (but not as well as I should). After this, I add panelling and surface details.

Section 3: Final Product

Here's the finished beast. I used elements from the AT-AT, mainly...but I also tried to give it a feel of an old fashioned tank. To me, it sort of looks like a crouching cat or dog...which is sort of appropriate since the ship designs for Star Wars were often inspired by animal anatomy.

The big cannon on the top is from a The Corps zodiac boat toy. The rest is styrene and some plumbing parts for the side cannons.

Next: The interior!

Section 4: Interior

Access!

C0ckpit

With a figure:

The back compartment:

With a figure!

Well, that's it!

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.

+Quote Post
d_j_s
post May 16 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #12

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,673

That is an incredible ship! The weathering and details make it look great. Did you paint it to weather, and if so what kind of paint? And where do you buy your styrene?

--------------------
A good runner leaves no tracks.

+Quote Post
darthschroeder
post May 16 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Co-Founder

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Cool design, well executed!

I love that cannon from the CORPs raft. I've been wondering what to do with them; they are so Star Wars...

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post May 19 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #14

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Been a long time but I wanted to stop by and comment...

I'm with Doug on the overall design there. Very slick, very believable. It's got that cold angular look of many OT vehicles. It definitely looks OT, and it definitely looks military... The wash is good... If you wanted a working hinge for the hatch thing there, they make plastic hinges like you'd use for a door, but smaller... There's companies online that have them, and they'd weld right to styrene.

Outstanding work though overall, and good cutting/detail on the inside with the chairs and whatnot. I like it...

Now, if you're looking for an in-universe replacement to something like the Republic Gunship, I've been contemplating that a bit lately... The Sentinel class drop ship is sort of that, but it does more than transport just soldiers. It's a bit larger, and so I think that changes its designation slightly.

What I'd go with is the Stormtrooper Transport from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games... Check it out on Wookiepedia sometime. It's very angular, and would be relatively simple to do in styrene sheet. There's no known "official" interior of it but a garage model kit company made a resin kit for it and gave it something of an interior. I'd alter it slightly as it's intended not just to ferry a group of soldiers into battle on land, but also to board enemy craft and "bore into them" from above.

It's smaller like the Gunship... It's more heavily armored, but less heavily armed (it has Proton Torp launchers and ion cannons, with other armament possibly being fitted to it for different missions). It's a very simplistic design, following suit with the Empire's "style" a little more I think.

HOpe that's some kind of help. It's one of my favorite ships and something I'd like to try my hand at some day.

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post
savrip
post May 20 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #15

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Holy cow that's awesome! The weathering really topped it off. I could tell from the sketches it was going to be something cool, but it turned out better than I would have thought. Great work on the interior too. It looks like you spent as much time on it as you did building the entire ship. I can't wait to see the next project.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
comandantedavid
post May 21 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,956

This is best original design I've ever seen...an excellent balance of SW's aesthetic with your own design.
nice job!

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post May 21 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #17

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

as everyone else has said, this is essentially perfect in every way!
but, one thing i like about it is the slight resemblance to the IS-O tank (i think thats the name, the republic tank from battlefront)
to see one of those alongside this would just be absolutely wonderful!

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
glorbes
post May 21 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #18

Thanks for the kind feedback, everyone. I may actually revisit this and beef up some of the detailing...my latest project has been very labor-intensive in terms of greeblie-detailing, and I feel that the effort is really paying off...this hover tank is looking plain in comparison.

QUOTE (d_j_s @ May 16 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Did you paint it to weather, and if so what kind of paint? And where do you buy your styrene?

The base color is Krylon Fusion 'River Rock.' The weathering was done with acrylics, mainly a watered down mixture of black and brown that was applied in a sloppy wash and then wiped away. I then went back and did more deliberate oily leaks and dirt build up.

Jesse James - Thanks for the suggestion...I'll be sure to check out that design. I'll have to look into alternatives for canopy hinges, because the twist tie solution is looking a bit said to me. I've used it on may latest project (which I'll be posting in just over two weeks), and I think it may be the last time.

Thanks again, everyone.

+Quote Post
FoxtrotDelta
post Jun 21 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #19

Customizing General

Member No.: 984

Glorbes,
That's a fantastic design that really fits in the Star Wars Universe, How long did that project take from start to finish? FoxtrotDelta

+Quote Post
Soja Rinn
post Jul 5 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #20

Customizing General

Member No.: 2,011

Scratch built? amazing. great design. looks right out of SW! what did you use to build the cockpit instrumentation? how many troops can it hold? i'm blown away--this is great.

--------------------
Cast No Shadow

When Han Solo returns to the Death Star in the Millennium Falcon, and shoots down the TIE fighters and saves the Rebel cause, do you think he does so for a free beer?--Dwight Schrute

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:05 AM || Skin by Metalaxe