Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> X-wing squadron wing markings
Roland
post Mar 15 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,946

So, I'm trying to figure out the wing markings on the X-wings from ANH. The first 5 seem simple (Red leader has 1, Wedge has 2, Biggs has 3, Luke has 5). However...what about Reds 6-12? I got to looking at the old Decipher card game, and Red 10 has a clear view of the wing and has 5 short stripes with a long stripe all the way through them. I'm thinking the long stripe must represent "5" and then you add the short stripes (so Reds 11 and 12 would have 2 long stripes and 1 or 2 short ones).

Anyone know anymore about this than I do? I'm planning to make a squadron.

(The pics are a little out of scale as I made them myself in paint in a hurry.)

Red Leader (Red 1, 1 short stripe)

Luke (Red 5, 5 short stripes)

Theron Nett (Red 10, 1 long stripe through 5 short stripes)
Taken from the Decipher Star Wars CCG.

(I posted this on the 'Scum boards too, but I figured this might be the better place to come for info.)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darthschroeder
post Mar 26 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Co-Founder

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Roland,

I waited to answer, 'cause, well, I don't really have any helpful suggestion, and thought someone else might chime in.

Looks like no one else has any idea either.

In many re-watchings of ANH I've never caught any glimpse of markings higher than 5. So I think the Decipher system is as good (and as "official") as any. Any other system I can think of: wider stripes, perpendicular rear stripe, or front hash stripes; would be visually ambiguous compared to the diagonal stripe. (IF the visible marking is even really important. Other types of fighters don't even seem to have them. In SW, pilots may use transponders instead of visuals 99% of the time....) I'll be painting one of my X-Wings into Red 6 and will use the scheme you shared.

Thank you.

doug

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 26 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #3

I've searched everywhere I can think of and never found any other information on it. Decipher's card game seems to be widely accepted (even though it has more than a few notable errors), so I'm going to go with it.

Glad the information was helpful to someone else as well :-)

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 26 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #4

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

My problem with the whole marks on the wing signify number is two fold: First it was sort of done only in ANH. By definition, Luke was Rogue Leader in ESB and RotJ, while I've not bothered to really look, they still have him with 5 slashes correct? Leader would be 1 not 5. So which movie is correct?

Second, since the Alliance was composed of alien pilots as well, different speices have different chromophores, therefore different visual ranges. Not everyone can see the same colors and contrasts. Complicate matters further, do you really want to take the .4 seconds (in the human brain) it takes to count them/visually recognize your wingmate?

This isn't a problem as much as it the reality of the situation laid out in the X-Wing series. The Rebels/Republic didn't want their pilots identies known to the Empire. They would've been targets for Bounty Hunters and TIE wings would/should have ganged up on Rebel Aces if they had too identifiable a marker. It's another reason they seem to switch position/number in the sqadron over time too. And Doug's answer of transponders make's a lot of sense given that the leader/squadron commander seems to have an extra sensor board on his ship for "tactical" purposes.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Mar 26 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

Roland,

Paul (pbarny) and I were actually discussing wing markings for quite a while yesterday. Our conversation won't help answer your particular question because it relates to a different time period, BUT it does relate to the topic of X-wing markings...

In my case, I am planning to revise a couple of my New Republic-era Rogue Squadron starfighters. In some sources (including Mr. Stackpole's novels), there are references to the squadron patch being painted on the starfighters.

Here's a quote from the Rogue Squadron page at Wookieepedia: "The crest was described as "a twelve-pointed red star with the Alliance crest in blue at the center, and an X-wing at each point of the star. It was soon adopted by the squadron, painted on their X-wings, and sewn onto their flight suits. In addition to the unit patches, all Rogue Squadron X-wings had their S-foils painted with red stripes in the far corner near the cannon. The 181st Imperial Fighter Group had a similar design on their TIE Interceptors, and as a result red stripes on the wings became a sign of supreme skill and honor in the pilot community."

Paul and I both disliked the idea of red stripes on the S-foils. We also agreed that the pilot's names should NOT appear on the fuselage for various reasons. However, I am very fond of the Rogue Squadron crest and I think it would look great on a couple of custom starfighters. That leaves me unclear as to whether the traditional Red Squadron markings should still be there or should they be eliminated completely? They always appear in the cover art, but we all know that the cover art often deviates from the author's intent. Here are a couple versions of the Rogue Squadron crest (both from the Wookieepedia page):

I already have versions of both sized up for printing onto decals. I really prefer the crest with the Aurabesh script. Any thoughts?

I'd also be interested in what other squadron's starfighter markings looked like. That might result in a project down the road...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 26 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #6

If I were planning to do Rogue Squadron, I'd definitely use those crests (I agree, the Aurebesh looks best). I'm just making Red Squadron, for now.

As for other squadrons, I've seen some others' crests on Wookieepedia before.

Renegade:

Wraith

Nomad

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 02:20 AM || Skin by Metalaxe