Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Collection Room v2.0, Where It All Begins... Again!
CorranHorn
post Feb 9 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #1

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

In an attempt to get back to posting on a regular basis and at the behest of Ash, I'm going to be doing my best to keep a running thread going with the work on my new Collection Room. Some of you may recall that I was keeping track of the work done on my Collection Room in my old apartment - http://home.comcast.net/~negatech1/colroom/ - back then I had more free time available, but I'll be doing my best to chronicle the construction of my Collection Room Version 2.0...

Several months ago i bought my first home, a 2 bedroom condo with the intent to convert the 2nd bedroom into my new Collection Room. One of the first things I did after buying the place was to remove the horrible carpeting from the living room, dining room, and both bedrooms. I went with a nice Pergo laminate flooring and despite the ordeal I went through to get it installed I love having this type of floor in my home. The 2nd bedroom was a mess after the floor was installed, saw dust everywhere, and boxed piled 3-4 high. Well this past weekend I took the time to finally cleanup the room - pulled all the boxes and bookcases out, swept and mopped several times, and dusted all over the place. Finally it was time to install the light fixture and get the bookcases in order. I also have a large top piece to an entertainment center I plan to use to house my vintage. All of the "display furniture" I currently have is in the room, so I wanted to share what I have so far....

A basic $30 light fixture, it houses 3 incadescent bulbs (best for minimal UV) and casts a nice soft light on the room

The entertainment center piece to house most of my vintage

I plan to install a couple of shelves over the entertainment center piece to display my vintage boxes. I'm a bit concerned though in making sure the shelving is even

There be bookcases! I went back and forth on the positioning of the shelves - I wanted to ensure some uniformity and I think this setup works best.

A shot of the bookcases towards the window. The window will be covered by a black curtain which will block out most external light. I plan to put another bookcase to the left of the window as soon as I can buy one.

A shot of the bookcases towards the closet. The closet's use has not been fully determined, the shelves will be used for my books, but I'm not sure if I will put smaller bookcases in there to display more toys or put a desk in there as a place for customizing if I ever get back to that... blushing.gif

And because I need some toys out to look at, I put all of my Legacy Collection figures out on display. This helps give me an idea as to what I'm in store for as I move forward.

That's what I've got so far in about 3 days worth of work. I'm on vacation from the office for the week so more work on the collection room is to be done. Next step is to go over to Ikea tomorrow and have a look at the Detolf Glass Display Case as a potential display for my vintage figures. It looks pretty nice and though it's not as wide as my bookcases, it will fit in nicely to the left of the entertainment center piece.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rogue1
post Feb 10 2009, 05:23 AM
Post #2

Customizing Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,387

Looking forward to seeing this come together, Jason! I've always thought there should be a dedicated thread here on FFURG for us all to showcase our collections. Let's start a trend!

+Quote Post
tworiverz
post Feb 10 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #3

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 489

Corran I bought that exact "Detolf Glass Display Case" , 12" sideshow figures Look the part but you'd better get working out at the Gym as they weigh a ton

hopefully this will give you a better idea of its ability, you can only get a max of 4 12" figures on each shelf

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 10 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

I've always thought there should be a dedicated thread here on FFURG for us all to showcase our collections. Let's start a trend!

Some of us do have that thread already, like mine HERE.

Not to hyjack Jason thread here, it looks good so far Jason. I know a bit more of your thoughts since we spoke at length about it, but I'll wait to see what you do and don't do in this room. Whatever way it goes, though, I'm sure it will be great.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Feb 10 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #5

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Hi Everyone, thank you for the responses and the advice.

Ash - I believe rogue1 is suggesting a dedicated section for Collection Displays akin to the "Dioramas" section. I'll table that to the rest of the admins and see what everyone thinks. If board members are interested in a "Collection Displays" section, speak up in the "Feedback & Suggestions" section. And Ash as you'll read below I took your advice on bringing my new display case home.

Tworiverz - That's a great shot of the Detolf case, your 12" figures look museum-esque in them. Pictures like that sold me on the case and today I went out and bought one. And yes these suckers are HEAVY!

So yes, today I went to Ikea for the very first time and bought myself the Detolf glass display case to house my vintage figures. A side note first, when I got to Ikea they were just opening the restaurant, the store itself was technically not open yet. So I had myself some breakfast, a great deal for $1.99 you get bacon, eggs, french toast sticks, and the most delicious breakfast potatoes I've had in a long time. Can't beat that deal for good eats even if it's cafeteria style. It's a good thing I had that breakfast as it turns out the packaging for the Detolf weighs 88 POUNDS! I thought I was going to blow my back out getting package onto the cart, but I survived and got help getting it into my car. When I got home I took Ash's advice and brought up to my unit in pieces, so after 6 trips all of the contents were home. I put together the display case immediately and then got to work on putting the shelves over the entertainment center (hence to be known as the vintage display case) so I can display my vintage boxes...

The Detolf Glass Display Case - for $60 + tax, it's a great deal. The keen observer will note that I put the metal frame on the left side of the case in backwards, such that the metal rods that hold the shelves are facing outward. I discovered this of course AFTER I put the whole thing together. Not to worry though, as you can see the shelves still fit and hold just fine this way.

After cleaning the case thoroughly - LOTS of smudges and finger prints biggrin.gif - I added my white plastic expand-a-shelf display stands which the vintage figures will stand upon. These are normally 3 step sets, but since the case only has 15 inches of space, I re-arranged the stands to be 4 steps a piece. I want to go with a clear plastic stand set such as the ones sold at Collecting Warehouse but I'm having a hard time finding ones that will fit just right in the case.

I also bought an air deflector for the AC vent in the collection room. I don't want the air blowing on the vintage boxes, so I have the deflector aimed to blow the air onto the ceiling. I think this should work fine but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on that.

As I mentioned yesterday, I was a bit concerned about getting the shelving over the vintage display case even, so you can see here I was practicing things with a few boxes. This helped give me the confidence to know things would work out ok. The package you see on the shelf is my vintage AT-AT Walker all wrapped up to protect the box during the move.

And as you can see here, things did indeed work out ok with the shelves. They're pretty close to level, a smidgen off but nothing too worrisome.

And they line up perfectly with the vintage display case.

Now that the shelves were put up, it was time to bust out the vintage AT-AT Walker and display my first vintage piece.

Here's a shot of the AT-AT Walker and it's box, isn't vintage glorious? smile.gif

That's all for now, tomorrow I'm going to work on getting the vintage figures in the Detolf and go shopping for an additional bookcase. The bookcases I currently have are 25" wide and 72" tall, I'm hoping to find one that is just as tall but 10 or so inches wider.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 10 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #6

Surviving Admin Member

NIce work. I think custom making some clear acrylic shelves, like we discussed, may be better in the glass case. What things will you display under the at-at box on top of the entertainment center?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
OrangeLeader
post Feb 11 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #7

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 555

Jason, it looks like your Star Wars room is going to look great once it's all unpacked and the shelves are filled!

Now about those risers for your vintage fig's, before you spend money on custom risers, or more than $23 a piece at Collecting Warehouse, why not give these Kitchen Organizers a look-see. Sure, they are 18" wide, but you can always do what my buddy did with his and have them cut to size at a specialty plastics shop (check your local yellow pages; chances are that there's one closer than you think!). He had his shelving cut down for just $1 per cut. Yup, just ONE dollar. Even with the added expense of having them cut, these clear risers only cost him about $12 a piece after shipping. And they really do look great, at least IMHO. Take a peeky:

These are inside IKEA Billy cabinets, but you get the point. Not too shabby, eh?

Anyway, kudos on the collection room, and have fun filling it up!

--------------------
-- Pat Pscherer
DC Metro Area Star Wars Collecting Club
serving SW collectors in the DC/MD/VA area
www.DCSWCC.com

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Feb 16 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #8

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

You're making progress and going the way a lot of us want.

Are all of these book cases and entertainment center bought new/used/donated?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Feb 16 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #9

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Hi All,

I'm back with another update and while I'm not showing everything yet a lot of progress has been made. First though, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions, they have all been useful and though I may not follow all the advice given it is nonetheless quite appreciated. Onto the comments since my last post...

Ash: As you'll see in my next update, I plan to put an array of starfighters and other vehicles on top of the vintage display case under the shelves I put up on the wall. I believe OrangeLeader's idea for the Detolf case will be the way I eventually go.

OL: Thanks for the advice and the killer pics, no matter how they're arranged I always get a thrill out of seeing vintage figures lined up for display. I like the idea of getting a wider organizer shelf set and having it cut to size, I plan to look into that in the future. As shown in the pics from the previous post as well as those below I've gone with a four step array for the expand-a-shelf pieces I already own. This has allowed me to maximize the number of figures I can fit onto one shelf without many compromises, so while I like the price of the Kitchen Organizer you linked, I see it only comes in a three step setup which could put a damper on my display. I'll be re-visiting the arrangement at some point, so I may go with something from Collecting Warehouse or elsewhere, but the idea of getting them cut to size (for hopefully cheap) is definitely the way to go.

Paul: Hopefully some of the things I'm doing here will help others when they get the opportunity to organize their collection in a similar fashion. I'm finding that as I think about it I might have to make some compromises, but only time will tell, hopefully others will learn from the mistakes I'm bound to make. The entertainment center piece came from a lot of furniture I received from my great aunt after she moved to a nursing home. While the bottom half is in my living room housing my big screen and my various A/V components, I always knew the top half would be used for my collection I just had not been able to visualize it until very recently and as you'll see in the days to come it's worked out well. The bookcases are all $25-30 sets I bought at Target 5 years ago for my original collection room, they've held up well over time - they're just a tad too small in width which is causing some concern regards to dioramas.

On to today's update...

I found the box containing all of my vintage figures so I busted them out of their craft bin prison and got to work on them. I bought a couple of multi-drawer bin units at Lowes (I believe fof under $20) and used those to house the figures during the move - the figures were wrapped in strips from cotton t-shirts and stuffed into the drawers which were then sealed with bubble wrap. It took two such bins to hold all my figures securely and it worked out great. Plus now I have a new place to keep all my custom fodder.

The cleaning of figures begins... I used a Swifter duster to clear off any loose particles and then a wet Q-Tip to remove any gunk that may have built up on the figures. For the most part my figures were clean, but some of the older ones did have some accumulation. Here's a lineup of some of the figures as they await arming and placement in the Detolf.

The first shelf in the Detolf starts to take form with figures from the SW 21-back line. At this time I've chosen to arrange the figures in order of release per the Action Figure Archive written by Steve Sansweet as I had previously done Before. The Snaggletooth figure seen below happens to be my oldest figure as I can recall having it as far back as when I was 3 years old.

After a full day of cleaning, the entire Detolf case has been filled with vintage figure goodness as it holds 116 action figures including Jabba the Hutt, the Max Rebo band, 3 baggie figures, and an assortment of POTF coins. Closeups of each shelf to follow.

Figures from the SW 1978-79 line are joined by their ESB 1980 brethren, including variants for Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Bespin Leia, Yoda, and Ugnaught.

In 1981-82, the ESB line blossomed with some of the best figures in the vintage era as can be seen here alongside the first few figures from 1983's ROTJ line. Variants include Jedi Luke, Klaatu, and Emperor's Royal Guard, along with a questionable Bespin Security Guard (Black) that I need to eventually get verified.

ROTJ exploded with over 30 new figures between 1983 and 1984 and was followed up by the much sought after POTF line. As you can see I'm still missing a couple of POTF figures, but one day the line will be complete. In the meantime I have Biker Scout and Endor Han variants to display.

And finally on the bottom shelf I have Jabba the Hutt and his entertainment trio the Max Rebo Band. Also are various POTF coins including four from my childhood as well as 3 baggie figures I've obtained over the years - I just bought the Madine last weekend.

I wanted to have a notable piece on top of the Detolf to cap it off, so I went with the Millennium Falcon that I got all the way back at C3. Some of you may remember me jumping for joy over the piece, until Ash and Tim almost broke it! blink.gif It really is a great piece to cap off the vintage figure display, the only thing better would be an Imperial Shuttle, but that's not in the cards right now.

Here's a full shot of the Detolf case with all the figures and the Falcon riding high.

With the Falcon on display, it was only fitting that it's box took its side next to the AT-AT Walker box.

Well that's all for now, I have more pictures to come. However right now I have to resume cleaning the rest of my house as it became somewhat of a disaster area while I was working on the Collection Room.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Feb 16 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #10

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

That look on my face is jealousy... Pure jealousy. This looks fantastic, Jason!

Unfortunately, my "display area" is co-located with my custom workshop in the basement of my home. Perhaps after the kids (who are currently 4 and 5) leave for college, I can have one of their rooms. Since I only really got back into collecting and customizing this past summer, it will be a while until I am ready to post pictures of my workshop. Until then, I'll envy yours!

Oh, I'd definitely be in favor of a section for showing off collections!

Happy customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Feb 18 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #11

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Don - thanks for the kind words, I'm glad to hear that my work is bringing others some enjoyment here on the intrawebs.

My last day off of work has afforded me the change to finally post the remaining work I've completed so far - the finale to the vintage display case...

As Ash asked about it the other day, the next step was to start adding starfighter class vehicles to the top of the vintage display case, with the Rebels to the left of the case. The positioning of the vehicles is mostly based on accommodating space - the Y-Wing is one of my favorite ships but do to its design its best suited to be on the edge of the case to allow the nacelles to "hang off."

As the day (Monday) moved forward I placed more vehicles up top and added a few more boxes to the shelves on the wall. As you'll see in the pics below, as I continued working the positioning of some items changed as I would make changes here and there.

It was on to building up the middle shelves - the dead center shelf with the mirror is used for my various Hoth toys as its the perfect place to continue displaying my AT-AT Walker, while the shelf below works perfectly for the Death Star Space Station.

Next up was filling in the shelves with the glass doors - here I chose to house my various Mini-Rigs and other small vehicles. The top shelf on each side houses the ESB and ROTJ Mini-Rigs in order of release with a few boxes, while the bottom shelves have the Mini-Rig Accessories, POTF Mini-Rigs, the Speeder Bike, and Droids Side Gunner w/ box. Another favorite vehicle of mine, the TIE Interceptor takes center stage on the top shelf of the case. Close observation of the Hoth shelf will note that the Ice Planet Hoth playset is "floating" above the Imperial Attack Base to again optimize space, all thanks to a few Hasbro VOTC cases.

Here's a shot of the vintage area from the closet showing the progress I had made up to this point which now includes Darth Vader's Star Destroyer. This is a playset I can clearly remember receiving as a kid in 1982 from the local Zayre, only to break it a few days later after accidentally jumping on it while horsing around on my bed. My butt was sore for days after my dad found out what I did to this toy, though the mental anguish I've suffered knowing I broke such a cool toy has lingered on to this day... cry.gif

Finally at the end of the day everything was set and the vintage display case was completed. You can see that I filled the various side shelves with playsets spaced appropriately to handle the height of each toy. Due to a lack of space on the Hoth shelf, the Scout Walker has to stand by my Darth Vader Carrying Case, another toy I can clearly remember getting as a kid from the Monkey Ward's in downtown Chicago. Bonus points for anyone who recognizes the name "Monkey Ward's". biggrin.gif

As it turns out I did not have sufficient space on the wall shelves to properly display all of my large vintage boxes. So as you can see several of them are laying down with their bottoms showing. laugh.gif The ROTJ Darth Vader you see is my only carded figure and is in fact not even a US release, it's a Palitoy 65-back with the Ewoks blocked out. I'm not sure I like the spot for the Vader at this time, so I'm trying to figure out where it's proper display place should be.

Well that's all for now, while I did do a few more things to the room I haven't had time to take pictures as my house required a thorough cleaning after I left it as a mess during the work on the collection room. So hopefully I'll have another update this weekend.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leonidas
post Feb 18 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,925

I have to say I'm jealous too. Great room and you've laid it out magnificently. Great job and keep the pics coming!

--------------------
If I hear "I've failed you" or "I have a bad feeling about this" one more time, I'm gonna scream!!!

...and I thought they smelt bad...on the outside........

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Mar 21 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #13

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Hi All,

Good grief it's been over a month since my last update, I suck! Been a busy month for me at work so I've not been able to get much done, though I am hoping that's about to change. In the meantime I have a small update...

To give everyone an idea of how much stuff I still have to go, here's a look at all the large boxes housing my collection from my move. This is not even all the boxes as I have smaller ones in a variety of kitchen cabinets right now. biggrin.gif

One of the things I want to make sure is that I minimize the amount of UV light entering the Collection Room. As we all know the sun is not a friend to our plastic friends, so I put up this pair of black "light-blocking" drapes. They're billed to block 99% of all light and they actually do a pretty good job of it - the window itself faces the building next door, but in the early morning as the sunrises in the east there is considerable sunshine that can hit the room. I pinned the two drapes together and then a so-so job of shortening them as they were much longer than I expected. As we'll see shortly I have a plan to cover up the messy looking ends. The drapes and pole were not that expensive, $50 or so at Wal-Mart. A good cost for an additional piece of "insurance"

In front of the window I want to put some additional bookcases - specifically ones that are 3 ft wide. This will allow me to put in some extended dioramas such as Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley Cantina. I found such a bookcase on clearance ($15) at Staples recently, unfortunately it's only 30" tall. It certainly looks good, but I need more space, so I'm currently hunting down its 72" taller brother which is also on clearance.

I started putting together the "Emperor's Arrival" diorama on top of the bookcase to get an idea of the scale I'm working with. I actually got farther than this picture, but a friend was over the other night and knocked down all my stormtroopers and I've yet to fix it, so no picture of that yet.

Those who know me, know that besides being a big Corran Horn fan, I also have a Jedi Luke focus. I wanted to get some perspective on how the existing bookcases would work so I pulled out all of my Jedi Luke pieces and put this shelf together.

A wider shot of the bookcases shows my Jedi Luke carded figures as well as the C3 Vader and Timothy Zahn autographed Thrawn I got when Ash and I met Zahn at C3. Ahh good times, good times...

As always, many thanks to everyone who haves a look at my progress and post their comments/advice/criticisms, it's all been quite helpful.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Mar 22 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Surviving Admin Member

Fill those shelves dang it! We need you to finish that so you can start your customs area in the closet!

And for the record, it was Jason who placed the Falcon precariously on the edge of the wheeled cart in Indy and it was Mother Nature who attempted to break the Falcon. Tim and I were meerly innocent bystanders for the whole mess.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Mar 27 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #15

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Only if I could gain access to the convention center security tapes, they would prove me right!! biggrin.gif

Got another update this evening as earlier in the week I put up some shelves over the bookcases to house some of my vehicles...

These are the remaining shelves I bought about a decade ago and have served me well all this time. You can see a shot of one of my Expanded Universe shelves, closer pics will be coming soon.

Here's a test shot of some ships on display, I'll be keeping the Falcon and Queen's starship where they are, but the TIE's are where they are at for now as they were in the POTF2 Falcon box.

Following my friend's snafu of touching my toys, I finally put my Emperor's Arrival scene back together again. As it stands this is a temporary display while I continue to try to get taller bookcases

A close up of the procession, lots of custom Imperial officers in this shot.

Speaking of customs, while pulling out some fodder I found a bunch of Rebel Pilots and realized I could make a couple of easy customs. Keyan Farlander as Hasbro should have made him and a Snowspeeder Luke that will eventually be obsolete when Hasbro gets around to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Mar 28 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #16

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

Wait, you still make customs???

confused1.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jokabofe
post Mar 28 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #17

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 26

Collection room is coming out really good... isn't it always fun to go through everything and put it all out for display?

QUOTE (DnJcustoms @ Mar 28 2009, 08:22 AM) *

confused1.gif

Exactly! Jason, it's nice to see you posting your collection and all, but come on - when are you going to start customizing again!!

--------------------
Check out my website StarWarsGeek.net to see all my custom figures

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Mar 30 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #18

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (DnJcustoms @ Mar 28 2009, 08:22 AM) *

confused1.gif

QUOTE (jokabofe @ Mar 28 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Collection room is coming out really good... isn't it always fun to go through everything and put it all out for display?

Exactly! Jason, it's nice to see you posting your collection and all, but come on - when are you going to start customizing again!!

No, no, no. You see Tim, Jason, Doug, Ash, Jesse, Esther, etc don't make customs. They're myths. A handful of us who've been here way to long got together, put them in the trunk of Tonphannan's car, drove them out to a field, and well dry.gif . You get the idea. blink.gif

It seems you're making good progress for mostly nights and weekends.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Mar 30 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Surviving Admin Member

No, no, no. You see Tim, Jason, Doug, Ash, Jesse, Esther, etc don't make customs. They're myths. A handful of us who've been here way to long got together, put them in the trunk of Tonphannan's car, drove them out to a field, and well dry.gif . You get the idea. blink.gif

I may be the only one of FFURG still actually customizing! laugh.gif

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Apr 5 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #20

FFURG Man-At-Arms

During a brief moment's respite at work while eating lunch I read the most recent replies and wound up bursting out in laughter at the comments. laugh.gif I didn't realize my lack of customizing was so noticeable, I'm actually quite touched that you guys want to see more work from me. That's pretty cool I gotta say, but enough mushy stuff onto the toys...

Out of all the nights this week I only found one to work on the room, so I spent a good chunk of this weekend working as well and I've got several shelves completed. I'm surprised to have gotten so much accomplished as cleaning the figures with a Swifter duster is painstakingly aggravating, the fabric gets caught up in so many places on a figure.

In the previous post there was a sneak peek at the Expanded Universe shelves, those have now been completed. Shelf #1 contains EU figures from just before ANH through the New Jedi Order era. As you can see I've placed the figures based on source with the exception of the bottom row which is strictly for the POTF2-EU figures. Some space has been made for the upcoming comic pack sets for the Rogues, Rebellion, and NJO, but I think some of those older POTF2-SOTE figures aren't long for the shelf.

EU Shelf #2 is for EU figures from the Prequel era including the Force Unleashed, as well as the Marvel comics and McQuarrie figures. As you can tell this shelf is much more cluttered than the first shelf and it's made me make a change to my collecting habits in that I'm going to stop buying Prequel era based EU. I've not been a fan of most of the Prequel era EU and there's only a couple of characters (Master Tholme and K'kruhk) I'd be interested in so at this point I'm done with Prequel era EU. This will help me save money in the long term.

Speaking of the Prequels, I put together 3 shelves displaying Prequel era figures starting with The Phantom Menace. At my previous residence, the Prequel figure shelves are jammed with as many figures as I had (as seen Here for TPM), but this time around I've decided to lessen the load a bit by putting only individually unique figures/characters on the shelf. Of course with so many different Padmes it's a bit difficult but I think it worked. The smaller Podracer figures are hard to see behind the Jedi, the only way to correct that would be to put them in the bottom row but they would never stand properly there, so they're stuck where they're at.

Next up is Attack of the Clones, which was reduced even more than the TPM shelf. This is mostly due to the lack of Jedi as I've put them off to the side for the eventual Geonosis Arena display. I've made room on the shelf for the anticipated Owen and Beru Lars and the SA Obi-Wan, so there will be some shifting at some point.

Then we have the Clone Wars shelf, this is strictly for the "realistic style" figures as I've not bought any of the animated figures. Seeing all the Clones I've got on this shelf and in boxes all over the house, I've come to another decision that I am through with Clonetroopers. I'll not be buying any more of them and might even give up a few once I've made all my displays. They're just not as cool as Stormtroopers. I went with the key players from the Clone Wars in the front row but unfortunately had to stick Yoda and his steed in the back with the droid army as that was the only place he would fit.

A keen eye on the previous picture will note that there is another "custom" in that shot. I absolutely hate the head that came with the TLC Obi-Wan in Clone armor figure, so I swapped it out with one from the 30AC comic pack Obi-Wan. Such a simple headswap makes the figure so much better...

Unfortunately, I've missed out on a chance to score some really good 36" wide bookcases from Staples so I've not yet had the chance to start building up some major dioramas. I'm looking at some 30" wide bookcases from Meijer but I fear they may be too small. Does anyone have suggestions on wide bookcases? I'm looking ideally for 36" and for under $40 each.

In the meantime though I have put together a few smaller displays, starting with the Purchase of the Droids from A New Hope. This shelf is an all in one Tatooine display and looks much better than the picture shows. I think the key will be to find a new home for the Landspeeder, perhaps when I get a Cantina display going. The POTF2 astromechs will be swapped out with more recent versions once I can dig them out of whatever box they're in.

This is the start of a Death Star display, with the POTF2 detention block escape set. I need to tweak the set to the right a bit so it sits more flush with one on the left - I first modified it back in 97 when I didn't have a dremel and my procrastination some 12 years later has not led to any further work. Previous versions of this display had only POTF2 era figures but I've decided that where possible I'll be using modern figures in all of my displays. The POTF2 figures just don't stand up to the test of time in most cases. I plan to build a foamcore hallway to put under the detention block which would allow more figures to be displayed for the Death Star. This will probably not happen for quite a while, but it's in the planning stages now...

And the final shelf worked on is a Screen Scenes shelf using the SAGA 03 sets. First up would be the Separatists planning the demise of the Republic on Geonosis - I've used the original packaging to make a small display but it's very tight in there so I've got to think bigger. Then we have the Jedi Council from TPM - I only have the first two sets so this works out nicely with the space available. I've depicted the scene where Qui-Gon brings Anakin before the council, something I've seen at Ash's house. Actually a lot of the scenes I'm planning to do where inspired by my visits to his museum. thumbup.gif

One final piece of business. I've realized that I have WAY TOO MANY ships and the shelves I've put up above the bookcases will never hold them all. I'm starting to work with the idea that I need to hang some of the ships from the ceiling. I've verified that I can drill holes into the ceiling in the length-wise notches that can be seen in the bottom pic. So far I've not been able to get a hole through anywhere else in the ceiling, just small divots. The notches are 1.25" wide and are approximately 4 feet apart, so I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to hang the ships. I recall years ago that someone (perhaps Doug?) worked with the idea of hanging corkboard from their ceiling and then hanging ships from the board. This would allow me to use the most available space but I'd be concerned about the board drooping or breaking from the weight. For those who have hung ships off the ceiling in the past, do you have any suggestions on what I could do here?

Well that's what I've got for today. A lot has been accomplished, but there is soooo much more to do. Until next time, thanks to everyone for looking, posting, and making me smile. biggrin.gif

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 06:39 PM || Skin by Metalaxe