Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My first custom: homebrew Mando
GleamingTerrier
post Dec 4 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,897

Hi, all! I'm new here, and to the hobby in general. While I've done the occasional headswap or repainting, I've never attempted any intensive customization. However, when I received the Mandalorians & Omega Squad set (for an upcoming commando squad repainting), I got an urge to do a custom Mando using Llats Ward and other parts I had around. This is based an a Star Wars RPG character I love, a former ARC Trooper turned, 20 years later, elite trooper for the Rebel Alliance: Hosk.

Head: SL-19 ARC Trooper
Torso: Llats Ward
Arms: Llats Ward (Originally VOTC Boba Fett)
Legs: Llats Ward (Originally VOTC Boba Fett)
Others: WESTAR-M5 Blaster Rifle (ARC Trooper), kama (ARC Trooper), bandolier (Rahm Kota), trophy lightsaber (CW General Grievious), jetpack (2002 Kamino Escape Boba Fett), helmet glowrod, undermount grenade launcher, extra pouch (Games Workshop's 40K Cadian line), left arm disintegrator (Heavy Gear weapon pack)

Painting was done with a mix of Citadel paints and washes, and Tamiya's weathering master A.

I'd love to hear any feedback!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Dec 4 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #2

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Welcome, now, let's feed some dillusions of grandeur.

Like the paint scheme. He ended up very Jodo Kast in his colors (watch your back). The only major thing is the neck. It suffers from what we call giraffe neck as well as being way to thin. There are two ways to correct this: either trim the neck post or drill more material out of the head. It's easier to drill out of the head because as long as you don't go through the top, you can always back fill with sculpey or something one can keep the articulation.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Dec 5 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #3

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Welcome aboard. Nice work.

If he's a former Arc trooper, then mayeb go a little further with the parts swap. Change the boots, or the gauntlet, to use a little more Arc stuff. I know it's 20 years later, but clones are clones IMO. They like what they're used to.

I love the grey hair and the goatee. That's one thing I'm really liking about the Clonewars TV show is that we're seeing clone individuality with their haircuts and facial hair.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
Jaina100
post Dec 5 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #4

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,402

I have found that when it comes to customizing, it only goes up from the first one. If this is YOUR baseline, the customizing community is in for a treat with your future endeavors. thumbup.gif I am glad I only do vintage stuff, I wouldn't want my stuff judged against yours. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Jaina100

Check out my website
OR
Check me out on Facebook

"These aren't the droids you're looking for...
...The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Dec 5 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

I agree with Delaton, I like the gray hair and beard and you should change the lower legs to those of an Arc Trooper, he looks too much like Boba with the current lower legs. That's one thing I don't like about Hasbro's use of Boba/Jango to create new Mandos. Also, do what Paul said about the Giraffe neck and you'll have a superior custom here. I like your paint work, nice job!

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
GleamingTerrier
post Dec 5 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the feedback! I was actually thinking of changing out the lower legs as I was working on it, but worried I'd be getting too fancy. I know from experience that once you get a pair of boots broken in, you'll go to great lengths to hang onto them. But rather than standard ARC legs, I'm going to use Imp Jumptrooper lower legs. I had been planning on making a set of Phase II CT armor based on it (since most specialty Stormtroopers are based on Phase II CT armor designs), so perhaps Hosk is the end result of that.

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Dec 5 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #7

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

Welcome aboard, GT! I can't add much to what the others have already said, but I do like your idea of using the Jumptrooper legs. Your reasons sound logical to me and it should look good once it's done. I like the addition of what looks like a grenade launcher to the WESTAR-M5 Blaster Rifle. Like Ash said, clones like what they're used to, but it also stands to reason that they'd tinker around to improve upon it if they could.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stoma coear
post Dec 8 2008, 06:29 AM
Post #8

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,550

G T this is great work your attention to detail is superb and the thing i like most is you new when to stop! You've got alot of equipment on this guy and could have made him look cluttered but he really looks like he uses all the equipment he has. As the other guys said your paints are right on the money. Welcome to the boards!!!

--------------------
For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

+Quote Post
GleamingTerrier
post Dec 19 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Okay, I took the advice given, and I'm very pleased with the result...

I shortened the neck post, replaced the lower legs with the jumptrooper legs, and the gloved hands with clone trooper hands. For the hands, I figured that forearm and hand armor is popular even with Jedi (Obi-Wan and Plo Koon in the CW show, for example), so a trooper raised from birth to use it would not want to lose it. I painted the lower legs grey to match the jumpsuit, but found it a little bland, so I added yellow stripes to keep the color scheme going, then sponged on some more grey paint to make it look like the stripes were flaking away. I also painted the neck post black, since with the hands and lower legs, it looks like Hosk still wears the black bodysuit underneath his armor as he used to do in his GAR days.

What do you think? Should I have gone with blue for the lower legs? That's my only niggling concern...

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Dec 19 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #10

Formerly DnJcustoms

The new parts are a huge improvement! A little blue would add some color to the legs, but I'd recommend painting only the kneepads. Then, add some wear-n-tear to them. Happy customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Dec 21 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #11

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Man those new lower legs really do the trick. I think the paint looks great as is, but DNJ's idea is cool too. Now this guy looks like his own character and just another one of Hasbro's Jango/Boba re-releases.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Jan 7 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #12

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,620

This is a textbook example of a quality custom. Welcome to the community, man. And you've made quite an entrance. I really like that paint scheme you used, really matches the Mando credo "It's not that you see us coming, it's what you're gonna do about it". I'm glad you took the others' advice on the neck post and lower legs, and I'm really glad you didn't just plug in some ARC or Clone shins. These Jumptrooper's legs work excellent and the yellow markings make 'em quite complete.

Indeed, add a little blue to the knee caps, to really balance things out.

Reading the other posts in this thread, I'd have adviced using a Marine's lower legs, with EVO/Jumptrooper feet (since those Marine clogs are just horrible). But like I said, these ones work just as great!

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
GameSix
post Feb 13 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #13

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,778

The improvements on this figure are top notch. I agree with the others that have mentioned how the lower leg swap really adds a level of uniqueness to the custom.

He definitely lost that "repainted Boba Fett" look and now looks more unique. Not too crazy about the kama (personal issue there), but the rest of the additions (bandolier, glow rod on helmet, clone hands, etc..) look fantastic -- and functional. The "chipped" paint on the boots came out very well. Don't change it!!

I see how the knee pads could use some sprucing up. Painting them blue to match the rest of the armor would probably work (or even stippling on some yellow paint to match the rest of the lower body), but honestly it looks fine as it is.

Nothing else much to say here...

Great job all around!

+Quote Post
GleamingTerrier
post Feb 13 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #14

Thanks for the feedback! He's actually getting redone yet again, with EVO trooper boots instead of Jumptrooper. I'm doing an Evolutions-type set of three for him: as a young ARC Lieutenant at the start of the Clone Wars, in Phase II ARC armour as a captain, and then the Rebellion-era as shown.

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Feb 13 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #15

Formerly DnJcustoms

QUOTE (GleamingTerrier @ Feb 13 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Thanks for the feedback! He's actually getting redone yet again, with EVO trooper boots instead of Jumptrooper. I'm doing an Evolutions-type set of three for him: as a young ARC Lieutenant at the start of the Clone Wars, in Phase II ARC armour as a captain, and then the Rebellion-era as shown.

That's a really neat idea! I'm looking forward to seeing him!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:44 AM || Skin by Metalaxe