Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worlds Oldest Customs, A Brief History lesson
pbarny
post Oct 20 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #1

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

The first Chinese Emperor, almost 5000 years ago, commissioned an army to guard him in the afterlife. 1 Million Terra Cota warriors, each individually crafted were made. That's one million custom warriors made of clay that are life size. The tomb was forgotten until nearly 15 years ago when it was rediscovered by a farmer in Shanxi province. Now, there is a burgeoning tourist business both for foreigners and the always nationalistic Chinese to take back replicas of these warriors in scales from 4" to life sized replicas. My wife recently went home to Beijing, but traveled around as well. She got me 2 warriors in 6" scale.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Oct 20 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #2

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

Those are some very nice pieces. I was not aware that they were taking the tomb apart like that. What's the asking price of a 5000 year old stone figure? Is there any idea how long it took them to build and make all those soliders in the first place?

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Oct 21 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #3

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (tonphanan @ Oct 20 2008, 11:35 PM) *
Those are some very nice pieces. I was not aware that they were taking the tomb apart like that. What's the asking price of a 5000 year old stone figure? Is there any idea how long it took them to build and make all those soliders in the first place?

They aren't taking it apart. Trying to steal one will probably net you the death penalty. they just started casting some of them to restore the damaged ones. I'm told it's about $300-20000 for a life size one depending if you have a simple infantry man to a full chariot (and talking piece of charriot, so the full set could run you over 100k for a complete chariot) plus shipping/additional plane ticket back. I saw a special on Travel Channel were it takes about 2 months drying/kiln time to harden the full size replicas. The smaller ones its weeks to days (which are more modern).

Oh, and if you have an aversion to mercury, you probably should avoid this place. In the tomb, which is undisturbed, sonar and soil samples have confirmed the legend that he had a map of the known world comissioned and used mercury to represent oceans, seas, and rivers.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Oct 27 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #4

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Paul, those are awesome! A real conversation piece too. A casual visitor may only consider them Knick-knacks without being told otherwise, but these are something that can be displayed and have meaning and relevance rather than just decorating appeal.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 10:33 AM || Skin by Metalaxe