Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anakin Skywalker From Padawan To Darth Vader, A Customs Evolution
meandnooneelse
post Aug 21 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Building a custom figurenator!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,106

An evolutions set of Anakin Skywalker wasn't something I set out to make, it just sorta happened. Let's go chronologically:

AOTC Anakin

With my AOTC Anakin I removed the pink lipstic look with acetone, repainted the hair, removed the over-sized soft goods tabbards and repainted the sculpted tabbards on the torso. I also changed his belt/lower tabbards to those from an ROTS slash attack order 66 Anakin, trimmed them, and painted them.

ROTS Anakin

This was a TAC Darth Vader Anakin. I loved this figure with one exception SWIVEL ELBOWS!!! So I made them ball jointed elbows and repainted his tabbards.

Darth Vader

This is my second revision of my super articulated vader. He has the ball jointed head from the VOTC Vader which allows him to look up and down. His body is from the Order 66 version, which is the same as the evolutions vader with a glued on helmet. In my first revision I changed his gloves to those of a Death Star Trooper because they would hold a lightsaber better than the Order 66 Vader. The original right hand was open while the left barely held the saber. I still wasn't happy 'cause the DS Trooper's gloves were smooth, missing the lines of vader's gloves. In this latest version I changed the lower right arm, from the ball joint down, to that of a battle damaged Vader, which grips the saber well. I changed the left glove back to the original.

The struggle within

The evolution of Anakin Skywalker

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Aug 21 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #2

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

thats one of the best vaders i've seen, although the battle-damaged one is still my fav.
very nice work, it should be interesting to see what you could do with the new clone wars anakin wink.gif

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 22 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #3

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

What, no Jake Lloyd Anakin as 11 version?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Aug 22 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #4

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

Paul, extremely nice work on these. I can find no flaws or room for improvement with any of these. For the past couple of days, I've been checking out all the new stuff you've posted and all of it has been exceptional. Happy customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 22 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (DnJcustoms @ Aug 22 2008, 02:23 PM) *
Paul, extremely nice work on these. I can find no flaws or room for improvement with any of these. For the past couple of days, I've been checking out all the new stuff you've posted and all of it has been exceptional. Happy customizing!

blink.gif??? DnJ, these aren't Paul's customs. I made these.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 22 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Aug 22 2008, 01:28 PM) *

I'm so good, I get credit for others work dry.gif blink.gif blink.gif These really are Gene's.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
Nihilus_guy
post Aug 24 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,810

That ROTS Anakin is awesome! What did you use for the ball jointed elbows?

Good idea using the battle damaged Vader's hands btw.

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 24 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #8

I used the lower arms from an AOTC Anakin for the ball joints on the ROTS Anakin. First I glued the swivel joints of the original arms in place, then cut just below that joint and started carving away inside the upper sleeve for the ball joint sink. Drill a hole for the ball join inserts, pop 'em in and repaint. Well, for the left arms it's that easy.

The right arm has the cyborg arm piece, making it a little more difficult. I inserted the AOTC Anakin lower arm just as described above, then cut-off the arm just below the ball joint. I cut the ROTS Anakin arm just above of the the socket for the cyborg arm and glued it on to the AOTC arm joint. That allows the mechanical arm to swivel. Unfortunately there's the one side effect, the right arm is slightly longer than the left. This can be fixed by trimming the upper arm above the ball joint, which I will do eventually.

The Vader was very easy to do. All you need are an LC removeable helmet/evolutions/order 66 vader for the main figure, a VOTC/ROTJ Tin/Kashyyk BP Vader for the head, and a battle damaged Vader for the lower right arm & glove. Boil & pop the head off the main vader and split the torso of the Vader from which you remove the head. Use the torso of the VOTC/ROTJ Tin/Kashyyk BP Vader to find the size of drill bit you will need and how deep you will need to drill in the main Vader's torso to sink the ball joint. Next drill a smaller hole in the bottom of the sink for the neck ball to insert the peg. Put the peg of the neck ball through the cape and insert into the torso. Next boil & pop the lower right arm of the custom and the battle damaged figure and swap.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sgt Humpty
post Aug 25 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #9

Formerly DnJcustoms

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Aug 22 2008, 01:28 PM) *

Evidently, I was having a "senior moment", which is sad since I'm only 35! Sorry, Gene! I knew who made them, but somehow managed to misdirect the praise. Perhaps it was the numerous messages Paul and I sent back and forth recently. Seriously, I'm an idiot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 25 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (DnJcustoms @ Aug 25 2008, 10:43 AM) *
Evidently, I was having a "senior moment", which is sad since I'm only 35! Sorry, Gene! I knew who made them, but somehow managed to misdirect the praise. Perhaps it was the numerous messages Paul and I sent back and forth recently. Seriously, I'm an idiot.

That's scary 'cause I'm 31.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 25 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #11

I like the LSMAker. You've obviously played with it more than I have (or at least paid more attention). I still haven't figured out how to do two sabers, or effects like clashes and blaster deflections. blushing.gif blushing.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif blushing.gif

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Nihilus_guy
post Aug 25 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Aug 24 2008, 07:17 PM) *
I used the lower arms from an AOTC Anakin for the ball joints on the ROTS Anakin. First I glued the swivel joints of the original arms in place, then cut just below that joint and started carving away inside the upper sleeve for the ball joint sink. Drill a hole for the ball join inserts, pop 'em in and repaint. Well, for the left arms it's that easy.

The right arm has the cyborg arm piece, making it a little more difficult. I inserted the AOTC Anakin lower arm just as described above, then cut-off the arm just below the ball joint. I cut the ROTS Anakin arm just above of the the socket for the cyborg arm and glued it on to the AOTC arm joint. That allows the mechanical arm to swivel. Unfortunately there's the one side effect, the right arm is slightly longer than the left. This can be fixed by trimming the upper arm above the ball joint, which I will do eventually.

The Vader was very easy to do. All you need are an LC removeable helmet/evolutions/order 66 vader for the main figure, a VOTC/ROTJ Tin/Kashyyk BP Vader for the head, and a battle damaged Vader for the lower right arm & glove. Boil & pop the head off the main vader and split the torso of the Vader from which you remove the head. Use the torso of the VOTC/ROTJ Tin/Kashyyk BP Vader to find the size of drill bit you will need and how deep you will need to drill in the main Vader's torso to sink the ball joint. Next drill a smaller hole in the bottom of the sink for the neck ball to insert the peg. Put the peg of the neck ball through the cape and insert into the torso. Next boil & pop the lower right arm of the custom and the battle damaged figure and swap.

Damn that's one hell of a tutorial!

Thanks! I will have to do this once I get the Saga Legends Vader/Anakin cool.gif

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 25 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Nihilus_guy @ Aug 25 2008, 10:36 PM) *
Damn that's one hell of a tutorial!

Thanks! I will have to do this once I get the Saga Legends Vader/Anakin cool.gif

Being that this requires gluing, be sure that the glue you buy says it works for all plastics. I use this, and as long as you follow the directions, I'd say it's stronger than the original plastic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilus_guy
post Aug 29 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #14

I just use this, it work really well

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 29 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Nihilus_guy @ Aug 29 2008, 05:36 PM) *
I just use this, it work really well

Where can I buy this stuff? I haven't seen it in my area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 29 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (pbarny @ Aug 25 2008, 04:06 PM) *
I like the LSMAker. You've obviously played with it more than I have (or at least paid more attention). I still haven't figured out how to do two sabers, or effects like clashes and blaster deflections. blushing.gif blushing.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif blushing.gif

When you first get started click the "Settings" tab in the the left column of the screen and be shure use anti-aliasing is on. That will make the sabers look smooth rather than jagged an pixely. (Is that a word?)

Making two sabers is easy. Make your first one, export the picture, close and then reopen it and make the second saber. That's how I did it. LSmaker is not a very user friendly program.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilus_guy
post Aug 31 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (meandnooneelse @ Aug 29 2008, 05:08 PM) *
Where can I buy this stuff? I haven't seen it in my area.

I bought it at a hobby shop in jersey.

+Quote Post
uiesaentdtts
post Apr 20 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #18

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,662

The best Anakins and best vader I've seen yet. I'd love to do what you did with the vader, but I don't have a dremel. Fortunately, that's not a problem, because I've been lucky ewnough to buy one of yours! The tabbard on the ROTS Ankin looks great, but the Hasbro scar might be a little too dark IMHO. Great great great AOTC Anakin, much better than the soft goods EVO one. The only thing I would change is to cut out this part:

Otherwise perfect

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 09:25 AM || Skin by Metalaxe