Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thrackan Sal-solo, Han Solo's Cousin & Space Bully!
meandnooneelse
post Apr 6 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Building a custom figurenator!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,106

I had posted this prior to the hacker invasion, but apparently it got wiped out. The head socket took some resizing, but otherwise an easy custom.

Parts
Head, Legs, and Waist - Evolutions Count Dooku
Torso, belt, arms - ROTS Bail Organa
Vest - VTSC Greedo

It was loosely based on this reference picture from Wookipeedia:

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post Apr 7 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

A very well designed figure. The body choice is spot on and not a bad idea for the head, most people would modify a Han Solo head. My only suggestions would be a more cloth look to the wrist area,cover the gauntlets, and darken his mustache, much like the ref pic.

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
weechee
post Apr 7 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #3

Customizing General

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,477

QUOTE (tonphanan @ Apr 7 2008, 01:07 AM)
A very well designed figure. The body choice is spot on and not a bad idea for the head, most people would modify a Han Solo head. My only suggestions would be a more cloth look to the wrist area,cover the gauntlets, and darken his mustache, much like the ref pic.

I like it except I think you should use a modified Han Solo head because he is described over and over again as looking like the evil version of Han Solo (like spock with a goatee tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
stoma coear
post Apr 7 2008, 04:18 AM
Post #4

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,550

A great custom of a seldom used subject thumbup.gif .However i have to agree with Chee on the head should of been Hans, all in all a great job.

--------------------
For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

+Quote Post
CHEWIE
post Apr 7 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #5

Customizing Master

Member No.: 76

I'm very glad you didn't use a Han head on this. This makes it seem more realistic to me.

Only thing I'd change is that I'd give him a plastic jacket.

Great overall custom.

ph34r.gif

--------------------
www.yakface.com

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Apr 7 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (CHEWIE @ Apr 7 2008, 11:13 AM)
I'm very glad you didn't use a Han head on this. This makes it seem more realistic to me.

Only thing I'd change is that I'd give him a plastic jacket.

Great overall custom.

ph34r.gif

Yeah, I specifically didn't want to use a Han head. I didn't have a plastic vest that would fit, so I went with the softgoods greedo vest.

I wasn't trying to be completely accurate to the reference pic, just ballpark.

--------------------

+Quote Post
weechee
post Apr 7 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Customizing General

having Hans face is Thracken's trademark feature...the one thing that remains consistent no matter who the author is....

If you used a Han Head I would look at this and without being told I would know it was thracken, as it is now I can see some resemblence only after being told it is Thracken, a Han head would be better and to not use a han head for the one single character that is supposed to be his near twin is just illogical. Just my opinion, it is still a nice custom and I am not trying to start a fight I just really feel strongly that a Han head would make that a perfect custom...

dooku's eyes and overall expression do convey two traits that make it still work as Thracken however, he looks like an older guy, and he has a very sinister look, so on that level it does still capture a thrackeness quality but it is not instantly recognizable as thracken...

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Apr 8 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (weechee @ Apr 7 2008, 05:28 PM)
having Hans face is Thracken's trademark feature...the one thing that remains consistent no matter who the author is....

If you used a Han Head I would look at this and without being told I would know it was thracken, as it is now I can see some resemblence only after being told it is Thracken, a Han head would be better and to not use a han head for the one single character that is supposed to be his near twin is just illogical. Just my opinion, it is still a nice custom and I am not trying to start a fight I just really feel strongly that a Han head would make that a perfect custom...

dooku's eyes and overall expression do convey two traits that make it still work as Thracken however, he looks like an older guy, and he has a very sinister look, so on that level it does still capture a thrackeness quality but it is not instantly recognizable as thracken...

No offense taken. I really just saw the reference picture and thought of the Bail Organa figure and that old Dooku head that I had sitting around and it just struck me "oh this would be easy". I wasn't going for 100% accurate, just close enough to work. He'll work for what he is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Desfiy
post Apr 8 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #9

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,372

Well I like it if its worth anything, I may have used sculpey on the hair to give it just that slightly more look towards the ref pic., but on the whole I recognized who he was before even being told. thumbup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CHEWIE
post Apr 8 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #10

Customizing Master

QUOTE (Darth Simmons @ Apr 8 2008, 08:38 AM)

No offense taken. I really just saw the reference picture and thought of the Bail Organa figure and that old Dooku head that I had sitting around and it just struck me "oh this would be easy". I wasn't going for 100% accurate, just close enough to work. He'll work for what he is.

I think a lot of people fail to understand that some of us don't go for 100%accuracy with our customs. A little creative licensing makes this aspect of the hobby a whole lot more enjoyable and far less anal, at least in my opinion.

ph34r.gif

--------------------
www.yakface.com

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Apr 8 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (CHEWIE @ Apr 8 2008, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Darth Simmons @ Apr 8 2008, 08:38 AM)

I think a lot of people fail to understand that some of us don't go for 100%accuracy with our customs. A little creative licensing makes this aspect of the hobby a whole lot more enjoyable and far less anal, at least in my opinion.

ph34r.gif

Amen brother!

It's funny, some things I am very anal retentive about. Other things, like in this case, close enough will work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
weechee
post Apr 8 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #12

Customizing General

-I have self edited this because I wrote it when I was mad and it really was unneccasry-

+Quote Post
CHEWIE
post Apr 8 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Customizing Master

Oh relax, nobody meant anything bad by it, just that there's those of us out there who like to throw in a different take sometimes... kind of like when someone makes an X-Wing pilot and someone makes a note that there should be one more stripe on the helmet or whatnot... those comments are fine, but keep in mind that quite often the person who made it doesn't care about an extra stripe and appreciates the comment, but isn't going to change the custom because of it. Sometimes when I create a custom from a character out of the films I don't even post it because I don't feel like hearing those comments.

Regarding Thracken, the reference pic looks nothing like Han anyway, at least not to me.

ph34r.gif

--------------------
www.yakface.com

+Quote Post
weechee
post Apr 8 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #14

Customizing General

yes all of the pics in that particular book look nothing like the descriptions in the books, but in many cases are the only actual pics of those characters...I am not trying to be a Jerk and have said in the past that I think you are a great customizer Chewie, it just seems like yoe were copping some kind of elitist attitude, I probably read more into your words than what you intended sorry, sometimes I am very confrontational, I dont mean to be

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Apr 9 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #15

Sometimes I'll just feel the need to build a figure and grab parts out of my bin and create something. If it looks like (or reminds me of) a character I will call it by that name. Other times, "good enough" just won't work and I want things to be truly accurate. So I understand where both of you are coming from.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darknsour
post Apr 9 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #16

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,040

Thats the beauty of customizing!!!

I have a 67 Mustang that I customized to my llikeing if someone does'nt like it,
it's ok, cause I like it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

rich

+Quote Post
CHEWIE
post Apr 9 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Customizing Master

QUOTE (weechee @ Apr 8 2008, 09:41 PM)
yes all of the pics in that particular book look nothing like the descriptions in the books, but in many cases are the only actual pics of those characters...I am not trying to be a Jerk and have said in the past that I think you are a great customizer Chewie, it just seems like yoe were copping some kind of elitist attitude, I probably read more into your words than what you intended sorry, sometimes I am very confrontational, I dont mean to be

If I came across as a jerk, I apologize sincerely because I didn't mean to.

ph34r.gif

--------------------
www.yakface.com

+Quote Post
weechee
post Apr 9 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #18

Customizing General

cool Chewie thumbup.gif I was just in a mood yesterday because of something that happened to me and I should not have even been posting I was mad at the world before I even logged on sorry

+Quote Post
Yodaman
post Apr 12 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #19

Customizing General

Member No.: 1,277

The head's not too much of a stretch to be considered Han's brother. Very nice figure. The part selection is very good.

+Quote Post
weechee
post Apr 12 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #20

Customizing General

he is actually hans "twin" cousin!?-like Patty Duke laugh.gif he is supposed to have a strong family resemblence to Han and not actually be his twin, but later the authors start to shortcut his description to the point were they just say he looks like han. but to anyone who has read the books that is his most predominent feature and really the whole key to his physical description, he is an older, fatter, meaner version of han

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 12:20 AM || Skin by Metalaxe