Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vintage Project - Anh Expansion 3/08 Update
tykrazen
post Jan 21 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

I've always been fascinated by carded vintage figures, but I'm too cheap to buy any. Since recards are a dangerous thing, I decided to build my own vintage line. For this subset, my goal is create a series of figures that could have been released by Kenner in 1979. I haven't finalized how many figures I am adding (somewhere between 5-8). Each needs to be repeatable - any modifications must be easy to replicate or failing that, I need be able to cast the modified parts. Paint applications should be limited similar to the Kenner figures -- typically this will mean less than 4 colors per figure. They will be all carded in replica bubbles. The card backs will be similar in style to the 32 back -Star Wars transition cards (Basically a 21 back with my added figures in the lower half of the card back). I'm building hand painted "prototypes" of each figure to photograph before assembling all the card backs, but I do plan on moving to airbrushing and paint masks when the final versions are produced. I am looking to make these as close to Kenner's line as possible so they fit seamlessly in.

Figures that are in various stages of prototyping include: Star Pilot (aka Boshek), Crocker (Saurin from the cantina), Rebel Mechanic, Rebel Trooper, Luke Skywalker (in Rebel Ceremony Outfit), Grand Moff Tarkin, Long Snoot (Garindan), Battle Damaged R2-D2. Also under consideration are Uncle Owen, Sandtrooper, and Pig Nose (Dr. Evazan). It is possible some of these may not make the final cut.

The thread on the custom figures is located
here on FFURG.

Here are the cards completed to date:

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Jan 21 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #2

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 57

The Grand Moff Tarkin card is the very best. I like this idea. It's a nice, fresh approach. So, this is considered to be the "3rd wave" of Star Wars figures that were never released?

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2014 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.

+Quote Post
weechee
post Jan 21 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Customizing General

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,477

I enjoyed looking at these figures earlier in the week and am glad that you have decided to card them, the cards look great, as far as the character selection I think it is very good you might also consider the cantina band member, when I was a kid that was the one I always wanted them to make and along with Tarkin is one of the most obviosly overlooked figures from the vintage line.

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Jan 22 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Customizing Master

Member No.: 9

I noticed your vintage figs also tyk, and these are great cards to go with your great figs. I love your image choices. The seem so "kenner". Great work from start to finish.

--------------------
Hey... It's Me! - Han Solo

Glassman's Customs ~ CustomAlliance Page

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Jan 23 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #5

Customizing General

QUOTE (meccano-man @ Jan 21 2008, 04:48 PM)
So, this is considered to be the "3rd wave" of Star Wars figures that were never released?

That's the concept behind the series. I'm even toying with expanding TESB and ROTJ as well. Bubbles will be the toughest part for those.

Thanks for the comments gang.

--------------------

+Quote Post
weechee
post Jan 23 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #6

Customizing General

ESB doesnt offer that many that spring to mind but Jabba's Palace on the other hand...whatever you have in mind for characters Im sure they will look great if you stick to this level of quality on the figures themselves

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 20 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Customizing General

Bumped to add Rebel Trooper Card

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Feb 25 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #8

Customizing Master

Another great card tyk.

Do you have pics of the carded figure? I would love to see those, especially next to the first 12 or 20.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 25 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #9

Customizing General

Not yet because the cardback isn't done... but here's a taste of what the NEW 28BACK A card should be like smile.gif...

For the most part the cardback was built from the ground up. The racetracks were taken from Mecannoman's 20 back template. Existing figure images were scanned from a 41A card -- the other images are photography of my own work. Still working on the spacing, but I think this will be pretty close to the final layout for the figure section.

I've also finished the Luke cardback:

As always feedback and critiques are appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Feb 27 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Customizing Master

I saw you made a rebel transport, are you planning on creating all the playsets you use for the bottom of the card? Great work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 27 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Customizing General

I'm planning on making 3: The Rebel Transport; a cardboard Rebel Hangar (ala the Sears Cantina Adventure Set); and a Blockade Runner Assault Playset (Creature Cantina in size and design). I'll also include the Cantina Playset and possible the carry case if there is room). We'll see if I can accomplish those three smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Feb 28 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #12

Customizing Master

Looking forward to it. Its great stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Mar 8 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #13

Customizing General

The transport is done so I took the cardback photo for it...

There's a thread on it in the vehicles section if anyone is interested.

Next is the cardback for the Cantina Band Member... image was from Chronicles.

--------------------

+Quote Post
weechee
post Mar 8 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #14

Customizing General

When will we get to see these cards with the figs and blisters attached? I cant wait to see the band member completed thumbup.gif

the pic of the transport looks great, I tried to do that for my droids set and cantina, did you get that effect (meaning the shading of the background)from a regular flash or did you use seperate lighting, the effect is very convincing! Or did you photoshop it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Mar 11 2008, 08:42 AM
Post #15

Customizing General

You'll see them when the cardback is completed smile.gif. I made a decision to do a coming soon image for the Rebel Assault Playset, so I started mocking up the rest of the card last night. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll post the updated 28 back smile.gif.

As for the photo set up, I use two swing arm lamps -- both with reveal bulbs (they're really bright white in light color). Both lights shine at a 45 degree angle to the subject. The left one comes in low - almost at the level of the figures. The right hand one is on a high angle.

As for the backdrop, its two pieces of foam core glued together at a right angle. I then curve pieces of colored posterboard on them as the background.

Next time I have it set up for photos I'll take some shots showing my fake little studio.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Mar 14 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #16

Customizing General

Here is the 28back draft. Any feedback would be helpful.

Is the coming soon thing a bad idea? Better to list an existing toy?

How is the spacing and size of the elements.

Does this feel like a Kenner cardback?

--------------------

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Mar 14 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #17

Customizing Master

Member No.: 792

Looks pretty cool to me (although the image was too small to really see it). I really like how you've incorporated your new figures into the image.

However, I'd would prefer to see the actual playset as Kenner would have at least used the prototype (as seen on some of their earlier cards) to promote the new playset, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Mar 14 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #18

Customizing General

I'm having trouble finding somewhere to host it that can handle it large enough to be readable...

EDIT: well it's at least up for the moment... still need to find somewhere that can host it larger...

--------------------

+Quote Post
weechee
post Mar 15 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #19

Customizing General

QUOTE (thehigherstandard @ Mar 14 2008, 08:18 AM)
However, I'd would prefer to see the actual playset as Kenner would have at least used the prototype (as seen on some of their earlier cards) to promote the new playset, etc.

OK this is great but you have made it clear that you are following a criteria of "what would kenner do?", the Coming Soon type stuff was only used to conceal Lucas's new Ideas not Kenner's own. It was used for Jabba, Rancor, and Ewoks in the 3 weeks prior to the release of Jedi. If your playset was from ESB it would make sense but seeing as we would have seen ANH by this time there would be nothing to conceal. Also I would put Boba Fett as part of your 8 and make it 9. That way you could say wave three came out in place of the 21 back wave.

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Aug 31 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #20

Customizing General

MONTHS later... LOL

This project went a bit off the rails given things going on in my personal life... but since I needed some stress relief this week, it's been picked up again. I've decided against completing the two playsets for the moment. Someday I will revisit them, but given the high cost of gas these days and its effect on my budget - the budget for the cost of the materials isn't there. I've revised the cardback to reflect the only line expansion I completed. So here, for the first time, is the final What-Could-Have-Been 28A Back Card.

So far I've printed out and assembled the battle Damaged R2-D2 Card and the Grand Moff Tarkin Card. Of course my camera runs out of batteries so no pics on those until later in the week.

The final question I'm struggling with is whether to make these punched or "unpunched". I have the Pace punch for these but can't decide if I should hammer through or do a two side indent to look unpunched. What are the preferences for you all?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 01:01 PM || Skin by Metalaxe