post Jan 15 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #21

Customizing Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,495

And here are a few loose ones..

--------------------
-- Doug
Visit my gallery of customized Star Wars figures http://www.geocities.com/doug_cottrell/starwars.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Desfiy
post Jan 15 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #22

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,372

For being over 10 years old these figures are still really good, how did you do these if you can remember any chance of break downs for the customs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jedidoug
post Jan 15 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #23

Customizing Knight

Here are my recipes...

Beru Lars - I used a SW Princess Leia figure, carved down the arms and hair and then sculpted on the outfit and hairstyle.

Owen Lars- General Madine head on SW Luke body, repainted, with a vinyl cape.

Bith Musician - The body is Lando with the belt sanded down. I think the hands were from Nikto. The head was custom made by Ron Salvatore.

Grand Moff Tarkin - Ben Kenobi head on Imperial Commander body. I sanded off the beard and hair and resculpted the hairstyle and ears.

Ceremony Leia - Bespin Leia modified. I sanded down the hair, arms and front of top. I sculpted the skirt, front of her top, necklace and hair. I added a fabric cape. It's not 100% authentic. I didn't realize she had bare arms.

Rebel Trooper - Death Squad Commander head on Endor Han body. The shirt should be more of a pale bluish grey, not as bright blue as I did it.

Biggs X-wing - Xwing Luke body with Bespin Han head (I believe). Helmet was custom made by Louis @ Fettsplace (I believe).

Porkins Xwing - Xwing Luke body. The head was from a misc. G I Joe. Custom helmet.

Han Stormtrooper - Endor Han head, SW Stormtrooper body. I had to fill in the neck hole with sculpey. I ended up sacrificing a second Stormtrooper for the helmet.

Death Star Trooper - The helmet was custom made - again from Louis @ Fettsplace (I believe). The rest is Death Squad Commander, with the helmet carved off.

Wedge Xwing - Xwing Luke body with Bespin Han head. Helmet was custom made. Hairstyle was resculpted. I also sculpted gloves.

Slave Leia - Bespin Leia head. Body was from a Fischer Price female figure (wearing a wetsuit). I sanded down the figure to make her look nude (she already had bare arms and legs) and then sculped on the bikini. I added a cloth skirt.

Oola - Darn, I can't remember the base parts. Likely a Leia of some sort....

Mon Mothma - Jedi Luke head, Bespin Leia body, Nikto arms (likely with Leia hands). I sculpted the skirt. I added a cloth tabbard and made her chains with puffy fabric paint. I think I'd use a female head and sculpt the hair from scratch, a second time around...

Vader Unmasked - SW Vader body. I can't remember where the head came from. I fashioned a cloth outer and inner cape and sculpted the lower part of the helmet. I hollowed out the helmet, though it can't fit on the head. It's just a prop.

Obi-wan Force Manifestation- I used a SW Obi-wan figure, removed the cape, and used sculptural paint to paint on the aura, which I then top-coated with a wash of blue. It looks kind of weird.

Ewok Village Leia- Bespin Leia figure. I sanded down her hair, arms, legs, and sculpted on the new hairstyle and outfit. I really wrestled with the hairdo before I decided to sculpt it behind her shoulders. I laughed when I saw that Hasbro came up with the same solution when they released their version.

Imperial Technician- Imperial Commander head on an AT-ST Driver body.

Rebel Technician - Death Squad Commander repaint.

Ceremony Luke - Bespin Han with Bespin Luke head. I sanded down and resculpted the front of the jacket and added detail to the sleeves. the medal is a piece of plastic on a ribbon

Bacta Tank Luke- Bespin Luke head on a male Fischer Price body. I sanded down the torso to look nude and sculpted on the shorts. I resculpted the hair. I could've done a better job on the torso.

Jedi Training Luke - Bespin Luke figure with arms from a Clash of the Titans figure (I think). I sanded down the torso and resculpted the tanktop. The backpack is vintage from an accessory kit. The arms are a bit too muscled.

Luke Xwing- SW Luke head on an Xwing Luke body. I added the lightsaber from Bespin Luke.

Biggs Darklighter Academy- repaint of Bespin Han, with new sculpt of hairstyle. I used General Lando's cape as a template to make this cape from cloth.

Smuggler Lando - Endor Han (?) body with Lando head.

Sandtrooper - An old, yellowed Stormtrooper figure that I gave a wash of black to. I sculpted on the holster, shoulder pauldron and backpack with some plastic and leather parts I had. I'd probably sculpt it from sculpey if I were to do this today.

Bespin Escape Leia- Bespin Leia head on Hoth Leia body. I sanded down the torso as best I could to remove the vest, and also sanded down the legs to remove the boots. I then resculpted the top and lower legs. Not bad, though she looks chunky.

Tantive IV Commander - Death Squad Commander head on a General Madine body. A bit of sculpting to make the jacket.

Bo Shek - Bossk body with a GI Joe head. The hands and feet came from someone else, but not sure. The head looks a little grumpy, and slightly out of scale....

--------------------
-- Doug
Visit my gallery of customized Star Wars figures http://www.geocities.com/doug_cottrell/starwars.html

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Jan 21 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #24

Customizing General

Member No.: 106

Doug, great work. I have more than a few of those planned, but for the most part I'm using recipes that I haven't seen before. Your work is definitely inspiriting, especially knowing how limited resources were back in "the day".

I've made a few more steps forward -- here's the new cards for Tarkin and the Battle Damaged R2-D2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Desfiy
post Jan 22 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #25

Customizing Knight

Ty I have a Burning Question I know where all the parts from your customs come you have made so far, but wheres the Head from the Tarkin come from as it has me stumped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Jan 22 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #26

Customizing General

The sculpt started as a POTF2 Tarkin head. I heavily sanded to remove the sculpted details of the hair and the planes of the face especially the deep cheeks and high cheekbones). Then I made a mold (to remove more detail) and recast in white plastic.

Nick McCarthy used this technique on his version, so I stole it smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 20 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #27

Customizing General

The end is near...

At least this phase anyway. Figure "prototypes" 6 & 7 are done.

First up is the Rebel Trooper. I REALLY wanted this figure as a child - somebody had to guard my rebel bases. A Draconian Guard from the Buck Rodgers line filled in but it wasn't quite the same. Clearly other folks missed it too as this is one of the more popular vintage customs to make. Most people use Han Solo as a Base, but the open shirt really bothered me. Once I figured out the torso, the rest of the pieces fell into place.

The next figure is the Rebel Ceremony Luke. This was another no brainer for me. I loved the post-Star Wars Marvel comics and this was the outfit Luke wore throughout most of that run. Most folks use a Bespin Han exclusively as a base for this custom. I mixed it up a bit by adding a Telescoping Lightsaber to fit with the "Star Wars" aesthetic.

As always critiques and suggestions are welcome...

And as soon as I can get the head mold finished, the final figure Long Snoot will debut.

On another note, I'm already starting to look forward to The Empire Strikes Back but I'm having trouble fleshing out the wave... so far I'm considering Leia (Bespin Escape), Luke (Jedi Training Fatigues), Lando Calrissian (Rebel Fleet), Wedge Antilles, Imperial Technician... any other thoughts of who I should add?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 20 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #28

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

The Yavin Luke with a ligthsaber is definitely something that hasn't been done before. Nice idea.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
OrangeLeader
post Feb 22 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #29

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 555

Ty, I am lovin' the use of the Nien Nunb torso for your RFT!! I've looked at that torso many a'time wondering if I could make it work. I liked it for its collar and vest with pre-sculpted pockets. I didn't like the Han figures for their open collars either. I used the Death Squad/Death Star Commander and sculpted on the collar and vest when I did mine. (I only have a really old and BAD pic here. I'll try and take another tonight to show).

My only suggestion would be if you could extend the bottom of the vest a bit. The RFT's wore pretty long vests. Oh, and paint the smoked visor on the front if his helmet.

Love all of your vintage customs. Really excellent stuff. smile.gif

--------------------
-- Pat Pscherer
DC Metro Area Star Wars Collecting Club
serving SW collectors in the DC/MD/VA area
www.DCSWCC.com

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 22 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #30

Surviving Admin Member

My only suggestion would be if you could extend the bottom of the vest a bit. The RFT's wore pretty long vests. Oh, and paint the smoked visor on the front if his helmet.

In true Kenner-esque style, I wouldn't do that IMO. They're paint apps were much simpler.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 22 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #31

Customizing General

Ash-

Is that in reference to the vest, the screen or both... I've been wavering if I should do the screen or not myself...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 22 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #32

Surviving Admin Member

Sorry, the helmet screen, IMO, is more than Kenner would do. Until it was brought up, I didn't even pick up on the Nien Numb chest. Nice work.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
OrangeLeader
post Feb 22 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #33

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 555

I have to disagree with you on this one, Del. I think that helmet detail is a significant part of identifying exactly who that character is. It's kind of a signature feature of the RFT helmet, imho. As to whether or not Kenner would have picked up on it back in the day, an early Kenner cardboard concept drawing (which can be seen here) does pick up on this detail. This, if nothing else, shows me that Kenner recognized this aspect of the character as at least somewhat important. Add in the fact that its a large area that could presumably have been easily sprayed and I'd say its a good bet that Kenner would have at least painted, if not sculpted, this detail.

And, as promised earlier, here are better pics of my RFT with the helmet visor/screen sculpted and painted.

This is a Death Squad/Star Destroyer Commander head, torso and legs and B-Wing Pilot arms. Paint work on the head is clearly not in its final stage.

--------------------
-- Pat Pscherer
DC Metro Area Star Wars Collecting Club
serving SW collectors in the DC/MD/VA area
www.DCSWCC.com

+Quote Post
weechee
post Feb 23 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #34

Customizing General

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,477

I also think that without the screen he just doesnt look like who he is suppossed to be, I think you should paint the helmet screen, the luke is great with the sabre tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Desfiy
post Feb 24 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #35

Customizing Knight

I am going to have to agree with the rest, you need that screen on the helmet, otherwise it just looks like a Death Squad Commander/Star Destroyer Commander head painted white, apart from that I cant fault it, it looks like a kenner produced piece and thats a compliment, along with the other figures, I could easily imagine buying these back in the day.

I also like yours Orange Leader.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 25 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #36

Customizing General

Thanks gang! I will be revisiting the Rebel Trooper's helmet soon to add the visor.

Major update from this weekend.

First up is the finished card front for Luke:

Second, I had planned to have Long Snoot be the eighth figure in the wave, but a last minute inspiration caused him to be bumped. Instead I'm adding the Cantina Band Member:

And with the 8th figure completed, I have begun work on the 28-back... placement is still rough here, but it gives you an idea of what the card back will look like:

And notice the blue area? Some posts over the Rebelscum vintage section last week were discussing how the second wave of Kenner figures were selected to really "sell" the vehicles and playsets... so I've made the decision to expand into vehicles and playsets as well... here's a work in progress pic of the first of what I think will be three line expansions... The Rebel Troop Transport (more photos and feedback request will be in the vehicles section shortly) :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 25 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #37

Surviving Admin Member

I'm definitely stealing the Bith recipe...especially since I have a headless Luke Jedi after my ROTJ Duel Luke custom!

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Feb 25 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #38

Customizing General

QUOTE (Delaton @ Feb 25 2008, 11:21 AM)
I'm definitely stealing the Bith recipe...especially since I have a headless Luke Jedi after my ROTJ Duel Luke custom!

Better Clarify the recipe then -- it is a Jedi Luke torso, but the arms are Pruneface's (with details removed) and the Legs are squidhead (again, details simplified on the boots and the skirt top modified to give a smoother line from the Luke body.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jedidoug
post Feb 26 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #39

Customizing Knight

QUOTE (tykrazen @ Feb 20 2008, 10:07 AM)
On another note, I'm already starting to look forward to The Empire Strikes Back but I'm having trouble fleshing out the wave... so far I'm considering Leia (Bespin Escape), Luke (Jedi Training Fatigues), Lando Calrissian (Rebel Fleet), Wedge Antilles, Imperial Technician... any other thoughts of who I should add?

Those are good. Here are some suggestions:
Medical Frigate Luke and Leia
Carbonite Chamber Han (Bespin Han without the jacket)
Bacta Tank Luke
Meditation Chamber Vader
Obi-wan Spirit
K3P0
Dak in Snowspeeder gear

and there are plenty of droids, Imperial officers and Hoth Rebels to choose from as well.

--------------------
-- Doug

+Quote Post
Desfiy
post Feb 26 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #40

Customizing Knight

If your going to do K-3PO you might as well do R-3PO as well, Power Droid, Mouseman (Treva Horme), Snaggletooth on Bespin (Wiorkettle), Snowspeeder Pilot (Luke), Imperial Snowtrooper Sgt., Ice Cream Maker Guy (Willrow Hood).

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:36 PM || Skin by Metalaxe