Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vintage Custom Project 10/1 COMPLETE!
tykrazen
post Aug 11 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

I had originally planned on not revealing these until the project was done, but I've decided to share pictures as I go along so that I can get input along the way.

I've always been fascinated by carded vintage figures, but I'm too cheap to buy any. Since recards are a dangerous thing, I decided to build my own vintage line. For this subset, my goal is create a series of figures that could have been released by Kenner in 1979. I haven't finalized how many figures I am adding (somewhere between 5-8). Each needs to be repeatable - any modifications must be easy to replicate or failing that, I need be able to cast the modified parts. Paint applications should be limited similar to the Kenner figures -- typically this will mean less than 4 colors per figure. They will be all carded in replica bubbles. The card backs will be similar in style to the 32 back -Star Wars transition cards (Basically a 21 back with my added figures in the lower half of the card back). I'm building hand painted "prototypes" of each figure to photograph before assembling all the card backs, but I do plan on moving to airbrushing and paint masks when the final versions are produced. I am looking to make these as close to Kenner's line as possible so they fit seamlessly in.

Figures that are in various stages of prototyping include: Star Pilot (aka Boshek), Crocker (Saurin from the cantina), Rebel Mechanic, Rebel Trooper, Luke Skywalker (in Rebel Ceremony Outfit), Grand Moff Tarkin, Long Snoot (Garindan), Battle Damaged R2-D2. Also under consideration are Uncle Owen, Sandtrooper, and Pig Nose (Dr. Evazan). It is possible some of these may not make the final cut.

Here are the first two figures: Star Pilot and Rebel Mechanic

Even back as a kid, I wanted Kenner to make this figure. The Star Pilot introduced Obi-Wan to Chewbacca. That made him cool in my book. It's not surprising to me that he was the first I've worked on. I've gone with the name Star Pilot because it's got that generic goodness of Kenner background toys and the marketing connections that you can have him fly any of the space ships.

The next one I've moved onto is the Rebel Mechanic. Somebody has to repair the spaceships. One of the "vintagesque" details I went with was to paint his belt buckle white, similar to the original Han Solo figure.

Constructive Criticism is always welcome... I'm trying to go with authenticity with these, so if you see something that feels out of line for the vintage Kenner pieces, please feel free to point it out.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
savrip
post Aug 11 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

These look great. I love to see vintage customs. I'm afraid to chop them up, but at some point it becomes worth it. I just never had an endless supply of cheap figures like some come across. The Star Pilot is just about perfect. The paint application is great and overall sharp. The Rebel Mechanic on the back the only comments I have is to try and detail the paint on the straps a little better. It's hard to get those perfect lines, but try touching it up with the white, then going back with the green and back to white until you've got all the minor adjustments taken care of. Sometimes just a tiny bit of paint makes the difference.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 11 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #3

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

Awesome work. I love vintage customs that are believable. The Boshek is definitely going into my list of customs to do. Thanks for the great recipe. It looks like a Bossk Torso, Luke Xwing arms and legs, and maybe a Black Hole figure head?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Aug 12 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

Wow! The star Pilot looks awesome.

I saw this custom vintage rebel trooper on ebay that someone made using the Death Squad Commander head on the Endor Han Solo body, repainted accordingly. It is simple but effective. I found it on ebay. If you want the link PM me since I can't post ebay links.

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 12 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #5

Surviving Admin Member

Horrible screen cap on the cardback...

Now, using the search feature here at FFURG, I can show that our own Corranhorn (Jason) did this very custom a while back. I think his is even more true to the "vintage style" with fewer paint colors and paint apps.

Corranhorn's vintage customs

Back on topic, I'm still totally jazzing over the Boshek custom.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Aug 12 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Customizing General

If you like BoShek so far, you'll need to check out the card for "Star Pilot" here on FFurg.

(BTW- the head is a ARAH Ace head with extra long sideburns added.)

As for the rebel fleet trooper -- I know lots of people go the Han route, but I have something else in mind... which should be a bit more accurate to the movie design (I'm going to hand onto the recipe for the moment, but it will come shortly.) ... the real question for me is should I use the movie colors or the brown paint scheme Kenner was planning when they considered making the figure originally?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Aug 12 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #7

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Ty.

This is an outstanding project you've started. I really enjoy the fact you're going full out in terms of how Kenner would have handled the details during the 78-79 line. I think going with the green for "Star Pilot" is the way to go since it was the prevailing thought that was his color for many many years. The use of parts is great as well, as like Ash I might want to "borrow" the recipe. smile.gif The Rebel Tech looks good as well, a nice touch with the Ugnaught bag.

The pics of the figures look great too, they work nicely to flesh into any custom cardback you're looking to do. Very Kenner-esque.

As for your question the Rebel Fleet Trooper, why not do both? smile.gif I plan to go back at some point and do the Kenner color theme, it's a nice touch I think.

Looking forward to seeing more updates on this one.

Happy Customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 12 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #8

Surviving Admin Member

Are there pictures in existence for these "original" color concepts? The only figures I've seen that were never produced were those in Gus Lopez's seminar at C3.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Aug 12 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #9

Customizing General

I should clarify --the concept of an alternate color scheme was speculation from the RS vintage forums -- probably about a year back now.

Someone acquired a product list from the line launch planning and a rebel trooper was listed, but not seen, in the paperwork. Another piece of line art showed the brown figure from the 12 back card back as well as the same figure colored grey. The theory was that the art on the 12-back was originally meant to be the rebel soldier and was based off of Captain Antilles coloring. (I know the product list is somewhere on the collector's archive, but for some reason any time I find something interesting on there, I can never find it again tongue.gif). I am toying with the concept of using the 12-back image as my color reference for the RFT.

**EDIT**
I spent a while looking on the archive and couldn't find it, but when I looked at Corran's thread, there was one of the links at the Star Wars Collectors' Archive.

**END EDIT**

And Corran, the photos were specifically taken with idea of getting them as Kenner as possible for the cardback. I've also done straight-on shots for the yellow style cardbacks as well. Part of the reason I'm going through this effort is I want to make the project stand out. There have been a lot of great vintage customs by folks over the years. I can't match folks like Nick (the artist formerly known as RickyUK tongue.gif) or Ryan (Bantha5) or Alex Newborn in terms of talent, so I instead have focused on good execution of a high concept.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Aug 25 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #10

Customizing General

Here's the next addition: Crocker.

I'm still trying to source yellow vinyl for the cloak, but I've had no luck. If I can't find any soon, I'll just go with the purple. I'm also not sold on the blue as the backing color for the card.

As always, any criticism to help bring these in line with the 1979 Kenner aesthetic would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
trancer1
post Aug 25 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,165

I'm absolutely FASCINATED by this project, as all I do are vintage customs. Your work on what you've shown so far is spectacular, and very passable for Kenner vintage figures. While I admittedly don't have source material for "Crocker", I think you need to reconsider using human hands. No, I don't think Bossk hands are correct, but something a little less homo sapien seems apt. Maybe Prune Face hands? Also, just judging by the cardback pic you posted, you might consider a darker color scheme. As for your choice in legs, arms and torso, I think you've executed masterfully.

+Quote Post
Soja Rinn
post Aug 26 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #12

Customizing General

Member No.: 2,011

the purple threw me off too, so good luck finding that yellow vinyl!

I'm absolutely FASCINATED by this project

ditto

--------------------
Cast No Shadow

When Han Solo returns to the Death Star in the Millennium Falcon, and shoots down the TIE fighters and saves the Rebel cause, do you think he does so for a free beer?--Dwight Schrute

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Aug 26 2007, 04:57 AM
Post #13

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

this is a really cool idea, tykrazen thumbup.gif

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 26 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #14

Surviving Admin Member

What body did you use for Crocker? It looks like Lando arms and legs but I can't place the chest. It's very well painted to look original.

The name throws me off though. In the vintage-esque style of Walrusman, Snaggletooth, Squidhead, and Hammerhead, would it be better to cal him something like Lizardman?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
Desfiy
post Aug 26 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #15

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,372

All I can is cool customs, and cant wait to see the others you have planned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Aug 26 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #16

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Ty,

Another great addition to your group of vintage customs. I like the smooth uni-tone paint job you went with here, nicely done. Was the body once a Bespin Guard? I'd also have to say that though the purple vinyl is a nice contrast in colors, the design looks a bit off to me, have you thought of going with a full length cape?

Happy Customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Aug 26 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #17

Surviving Admin Member

Actually, if he has a jacket in the pick, wouldn't you consider using a Han Bespin?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Aug 27 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #18

Customizing General

Thanks for all the thoughts gang.

I'll tackle the questions first:

Trancer: those are human hands -- as Delaton guessed they are Lando Calrissian's arms.

Delaton: Corran's correct on the torso -- it's a modified Bespin Guard. The painting is a step up from the last wave of protos because I finally started using the airbrush -- what a difference it makes. The rest of the figures will be done with the airbrush as it does give a better finish.

As for the name, "Crocker" was the one used by the production staff, but maybe I will consider a change on it -- it does feel a bit too short. Maybe "Crockman?"

Corran: The evolution of the cape has been a huge issue for me on this figure. To me, the most distinctive element of the costume was the high collared jacket. Originally I was using an Ackbar torso and modifying it to create the layers. Then a saw a limelighting post over at RS where someone left their capes unfolded. It remind me of the collar which is why I went with the vinyl. I feel like a long cape may be too much -- but it might need to be shortened -- maybe so that it's cut similar to the cardback pic. Most likely I'll cut 3 different lengths and see how they all work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Jan 15 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #19

Customizing General

Finally had some forward progress on this project. Several new figures today. First I updated Crocker with a longer orange vinyl cape.

Next up Battle Damaged R2-D2 (I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't released this yet) :

And finally the Grand Master T of the empire (aka Grand Moff Tarkin)

Since the goal of this project is authenticity -- I'd appreciate any feedback along those lines... I'm trying to make these as close to product that might have come out in 1979.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jedidoug
post Jan 15 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #20

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,495

Those are looking pretty cool. I started customizing with vintage figures back in 1997 when I got into finishing off my vintage SW collection. Slave Leia was my first.

Here are photos of some of the figures I did - feel free to use as inspiration. I used a mix of Star Wars, GI Joe and Fisher Price parts. I realize some are cruder than others - but remember this was over 10 years ago. I'd probably do many differently these days.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/jedidoug/Star%20Wars/throtj_vader.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/jedidoug/Star%20Wars/thpotf_obiwan.jpg[/img]

For full size photos, visit my site:
Doug's Star Wars Customs

--------------------
-- Doug
Visit my gallery of customized Star Wars figures http://www.geocities.com/doug_cottrell/starwars.html

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 12:00 AM || Skin by Metalaxe