> New Customs Update 567, Several Rebels, a Jedi, and a Sith
CorranHorn
post May 6 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #1

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi All,

I spent this weekend getting over bronchitis so I had some time to make a few new customs, several of which you'll see were inspired by recently posted customs on the FForums. Let's get started shall we...

Dresselian Rebel Trooper

Parts:
Head: Modified POTF2 Prune Face head cast from Delaton
Torso/Hands/Rifle: POTF2 Prune Face
Legs: TSC Endor Rebel Soldier
Arms: XD WW2 US Airborne Soldier
Cloak: SAGA Jedi Luke Skywalker

Inspired by Delaton's own Dresselian Mercenary, this is one of the Dresselians that you can see in the briefing scene in ROTJ. In fact he's the guy who goes up the shuttle ramp while Han and Lando discuss the Falcon's well being. I had to take the torso from a previously made custom and the arms came to me as I wanted to go as fully articulated as I could with this guy. I think the use of the TSC Endor trooper legs really fleshes this guy out. Though everytime I look at the pics, I swear he looks like a furless ewok. laugh.gif

Yavin Rebel Officer

Parts:
Hat: SAGA Admiral Ozzel
Everything Else: 30AC Rebel Honor Guard

During the Medal Ceremony scene in ANH, you can see many Rebel officers lined up in the procession. They're all wearing the same uniform as the recently released Rebel Honor Guard but instead of a helmet they're wearing a hat. Most of the officers are wearing baseball cap-style hats, but if you look close enough you will see some are also wearing kepi-style hats similar to the Imperials. Since I didn't have a cap-style hat, I went with the kepi-style figuring the difference may be in the roles each officer plays - perhaps the cap wearers are more like technicians and whatnot, while the kepi wearers are command level. Not so obvious to tell from the pic, but I gave his hair a grey drybrush to make him a bit unique to the base head.

Rebel Fleet Trooper

Parts:
Head/Neck: TSC Endor Trooper (Black)
Everything Else: 30AC Tantive IV BP RFT

So many people have been placing an RFT helmet on the black Endor Trooper and it looks neat, but after seeing PBarny do some RFT Head Swaps I figured it was time to make use of some of my leftover RFT's from the recent Tantive IV Battlepack. I swapped the original head with the neck post from the Endor Trooper and popped the head right on. A simple repaint of the hands to match and this guy is done with more to come down the road.

Rebel Fleet Trooper

Parts:
Head: XD WW2 US Airborne Soldier Head Cast from Delaton
Torso/Arms/Helmet: POTF2 Arvel Cynyrd
Pelvis/Legs: POTF2 Ten Nunb

When I first bought several POTF2 Rebel Pilots Cinema Scenes during the wonderful KB clearance of 2000 I had planned to repaint Arvel Cynyrd the proper grey since Hasbro didn't get it right. I never got around to it though for some reason, but when I saw Delaton's own Y-Wing Pilot I realized that's how I wanted my pilot to look. So I basically followed Ash's recipe except I had to use a different head and bam a 7 year custom is finally completed. I was going to repaint the helmet, but as I started I realized I liked it as it was so I left it as is.

Aayla Secura - Jedi Wear

Parts:
Head/Hand: ROTS Aayla Secura
Torso/Arms/Pelvis/Skirt: POTC3 Preview Elizabeth Swan
Legs: TPM Adi Gallia
Lightsaber: Unknown AOTC Jedi

I was able to pickup several of the POTC3 Preview Swan figures up on clearance and wanted to use at least one of them for a Female Jedi. After looking through my parts bin giving Aayla Secura more formal Jedi clothing seemed the right thing to do. I don't know all of her EU story, but I figure she doesn't always go around wearing S&M leather as that would not be befitting of a Jedi so I put this little ensemble together. The outfit isn't completely like other Jedis as I figured to give her a bit of her own style since it seemed to fit her.

Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine

Parts:
Lower Arms: TPM Darth Sidious
Cane: POTF2 Emperor Palpatine
Everything Else: TSC Skirmish in the Senate BP Darth Sidious

I did this one a few months ago as an attempt to do something with all these Sidious' I got when I bought several SITS BPs on clearance. I didn't like the lower arms of that Sidious figure so I figured to try to revamp them with the ones from TPM Sidious. This was the result, which didn't turn out so great but does allow for a bit better range of motion for dueling with Yoda and also provides a more detailed Emperor for cackling at his minions.

Well that's all for now, I pulled together a lot of customs this weekend not sure when that might happen again. As always questions, comments, suggestions, and critiques are welcomed.

Happy Customizing!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delaton
post May 6 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #2

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

Oh, where to begin with so many good customs.

The Dresselian is awesome, much better recipe than what I did. I like the longer cloak from Jedi Luke and the legs from the Endor trooper. On mine, I when with the action pose and was forced to glue them in place. You've given him much more articulation without having to paint! Love it.

The Yavin Officer is unique and so totally awesome. Having not scored this series yet (other than Han and Luke), I'm envious that you had an extra already! The custom is so simple, Hasbro would be insane to do a headswap like yours in the future, through in a Y-Wing Pilot and General Dodonna, and the ladder thing for the X-Wing in a battlepack. We keep trying, in the Q&A, to get Hasbro to repack figures with parts swaps. Maybe they'll finally get the lesson when they see this.

Rebel Trooper, equality in those would-be targets for Stormies...

Y-Wing Pilot, another good paint app. The eyes could use the eye liner. He's got the "oh-poop" look.

Aayla Padawan, I've seen attempts at this figure before when the graphic novel came out and this is pretty darn good. The POTC Elizabeth Swan figure is great fodder for this custom. Have you though about adding a 30th Mace or Order-66 Mace Robe to her? The couple of pics I've seen from the comic had her wearing a jedi robe. Finally, the neck is a little bright. I know we tossed the idea around of which neck to use. Is it an Aayla neck or painted?

Only question on the Palpatine, do the lower arms match the size of the upper arms at the joint? I can't tell if it's the sculpt of the arm when turned that makes it look wider than the upper piece or not.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post May 7 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

Great batch

Great use of parts on the Dresellian Commando. The only thing that feels off to me is that the face paint seems a bit thick.

Nice re-jiggers on the various rebels... if you are looking for a baseball style cap, there was one in the old Godzilla line.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 7 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #4

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Dresselian looks to be smiling. Is he a happy commando? Would also like to see the back of the head.

Small thing on the rebel officer, weren't their hats more baseball like with an incredibly long bill? You probably could pass him off as an Imperial too because the one that almost got on the turbolift with Stormtrooper Luke/Han and Chewie captured looked like this.

I enjoy the Heavy Duty Rebel Fleet trooper. Good to see some more diversity, and be the inspiration/rip off ermm.gif in question. Also, are the gloves because you didn't want to try to flesh match the hands?

Not sold on the upper arm/elbow joint of the Palpy. There is a gap. Also, how well do the textures match on the cloak?

Nice work overall. Good to see you still do customs too tongue.gif

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
tonphanan
post May 7 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #5

Sometimes you have to cut the other guy's arm off.

Member No.: 256

Dresselian Rebel Trooper- A super articulated Prune Face. Very cool I like the use of the XD soldier arms. The "smile" does look a little eerie.

Yavin Rebel Officer- I like this one for it looks very Vintage in color and design. This is probably what one would look like if they had the articulation 30 years ago.

Pilot- After surviving another straffing run on a Star Destroyer he needs to change his pants.

Aayla Secura - Jedi Wear- Like the parts combo. Would just suggest a head repaint.

As for the Emperor I'm with everyone else on the upper arm issue.

I will be stealing the Dresselian and Aayla concepts just so you know biggrin.gif .

--------------------

Supporting Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

"Prehaps you need an optical enhancement. I could arrange for you to lose an eye; then you could put in for one."-Ton Phanan

+Quote Post
Delaton
post May 7 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Surviving Admin Member

I'm loving the fact that everyone is liking the Dresselian head. It's one of my sculpt corrections to Hasbro's head, then cast. IMO, Jason did an awesome job on the painting of it to get the skin tone right.

And in case anyone is wondering...yes, I have casts available. thumbup.gif If there's enough interest, I can even cast the chest piece since I have an extra one lying around.

PM me privately if you're interested.....and now, back to Jason's customs! laugh.gif

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 10 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #7

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great responses and suggestions, I'll do my best to respond to them all...

Ash: I'm glad you like the Dresselian, thanks for the inspiration on it. And yes everyone get them casts, they're choice! smile.gif I want to believe that Hasbro is seeing what we do with customizing, how else does that explain the Wave 9 "Rebel Vanguard" that you did a few weeks ago now becoming an actual release. I think the problem with the Y-Wing Pilot is his right eye, as you know that's one of my biggest problems but I will try to fix it. As for Aayla, yeah that's a painted neckline. I thought I had done a good job matching colors, but the flash from the camera is showing me otherwise. sad.gif I did try to give her a 30AC Mace Windu robe while I sit here waiting for responses from people at work, this was the result...

A little too bulky unfortunately, so I'll keep her displayed sans robe.

Ty: I'll have to look out for that baseball cap head, if anyone's doing casts of it they should speak up. biggrin.gif

Paul: I think the smile is a trick of the camera, Ash's cast has the same morose look the original POTF2 head had. Get these casts from him if you haven't, they're top notch. Here's a quick pic of the back of his head...

Looks like a peanut. laugh.gif As for the Rebel officer hat, as I went frame by frame of my dvd of that scene, you could see officers wearing both kind of hats, so I went with the style I had. As for the Rebel Fleet Trooper, those aren't gloves my paint matching worked fine for this one until the flash of the camera came into play. The Palpatine arms are admittedly failed experiment, the textures don't match and the joints are bad. Thats why this guy hides in the back of my custom figure display.

Ton: Like I mentioned to Paul, the smile isn't intended but your eerie comment is spot on. Kinda makes me think this guy enjoys killing stormtroopers while waddling through knee deep in Ewok guts. laugh.gif I hadn't really thought about it but yeah the Rebel Officer does have a vintage quality to it, neat. And wouldnt you poop yourself going up a Star Destroyer? poo.gif Feel free to use any of these concepts, I always like to see other peoples take on my customs, kinda like what I did with Ash.

That's all for now, back to work for me. cry.gif

Happy Customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post May 10 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #8

Surviving Admin Member

Ty: I'll have to look out for that baseball cap head, if anyone's doing casts of it they should speak up. biggrin.gif

There's a few Gi Joe heads that have baseball caps. Maybe I can try one, if it's big enough to be generic. Most of those heads, unfortunately, have pinhead disease.

As far as the robe, what about a Order 66 Mace robe? It was super thin and without a hood to limit it's bulk.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 10 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #9

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Delaton @ May 10 2007, 09:46 PM)
There's a few Gi Joe heads that have baseball caps. Maybe I can try one, if it's big enough to be generic. Most of those heads, unfortunately, have pinhead disease.

The Joe hat from Gung Ho doesn't have a bill long enough to be like the one used in the medal ceremony scene. It does work for Jack O'Neall though here where I used the hat.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 10:39 AM || Skin by Metalaxe