Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ultimate Group Project Diorama Will Be At C4
Delaton
post Oct 13 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #21

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

The one piece of advice I could give regarding this project is cost. The organizers will bear the brunt of the costs, no matter who is involved or how many items are donated. Expect to spend a lot of money if you want this to look right.

On that note, a way to make inexpensive trees, although it's time consuming, is to buy a large spool of insulated electronics wire, like 22GA or 20 GA. You pick a certain length, find something solid to use as a base like a 1x10 board, and you wrap the wire loosely around the 10" width. Wrap it around a couple dozen times (the more wraps, the thicker the trunk. Slide it off the base and snip every loop, top and bottom. Twist the wire together to form a trunk till about half-way up, then twist off the branches, combining several small wires into main branches, secondary branches, etc. Twist the bottom of the truck off to form roots. Then, use epoxy(best), plaster(cheapest), clay(available), or some other product to cover the truck and main branches to make bark. Then, either model a non-foliated time of year on this planet (ie.: no leaves) or use flock, lichen, or foam to make leaves.

Good luck!

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CHEWIE
post Feb 9 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #22

Customizing Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

Thanks for the advice/ideas.

Good news, looks like our friend Frank (Niub Niub) is going to be able to allow for us to use part of his workshop space for the diorama.

ph34r.gif

--------------------
www.yakface.com

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Apr 3 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #23

Customizing Master

Member No.: 9

I just thought I would post a quick message about the status of the Ultimate Group Project( if you dont normally check the dedicated threads). A group of customizers is building a full scale imperial city for C4. This project is huge in scale and we need your help. We have secured an official fan booth at C4 and will be displaying the actually diorama as part of Niub Niub's Endor diorama booth.

I'm putting out a call for miscellanous citizens, aliens, robots, small accessories and vehicles to populate the city. We are also still working on the individual buildings. If you would like to help out and be involved, please see the the official UGP web site at
http://ultimategroupproject.t-j-p.net/

and check out the offical threads happening at Jedi Defender and Yak Face.
http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?board=58.0
http://cgi.denpetersen.com/YAK1/index.php

We stress that you do not use and of the "buff" early POTF2 figures. We want to keep the scale as close to modern day hasbro figures as possible.

You can LOAN or DONATE your figure/figures. If you want them back it is OK. If not, thats ok too.

PLease contact me for info as to where to ship figures when done or check out the info at the links mentioned in the post above.

OUR DEADLINE IS MAY 1st. A little less than a month. SO it isn't that far away!!!

Thanks in advance.

Your friendly neighborhood Glassman.

--------------------
Hey... It's Me! - Han Solo

Glassman's Customs ~ CustomAlliance Page

+Quote Post
Master_phruby
post Apr 20 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #24

Customizing Master

Member No.: 11

Please start sending in what figures you have for the UGP. Waiting until the last day before c4 will guantee that your item doesn't make it into the dio.

Email ghost.host@verizon.net for shipping address.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Master_phruby
post May 29 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Customizing Master

Well we did it and on budget despite what certain nay sayers around here were saying. It would have been nice to have some FFURG representation. Maybe next time. We had enough space to quadripple our diorama. We were able to raise funds via a custom figure auction and donations. We gave out stickers and had a raffle for figures and buildings so I don't have to ship alot back. Cost wise came out to be free and did not cost me or any of the other staff anything beyond our assigned projects. LFL and Niub Niub really came thru dispite some union labor headaches.

I think we should double the size at C5.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post May 29 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #26

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

Well, ok, where do I begin my rant. First, the praise. You guys did a good job. Your really showed how customizing could be done in a fan-fic creative process as opposed to only movie specific customs.

As far as FFURG presence, give me a friggin' break. For the record, there are 5 Admins on FFURG who live in:
Chicago, IL
Columbus, OH
Louisville, KY
Pittsburgh, PA
Boston, MA

Are any of us near LA? No. We're all central or east coast. However, despite that, Jason and I still checked flights and accommodations twice before C4 and we couldn't get there without spending way too much money on airfare and hotel. LFL's decision to hold C4 in LA meant that FFURG COULD NOT GO, nor could we as an organization donate funds since FFURG itself, ie. Tim, is in the hole for quite a bit server fees from all the years of providing FFURG as a free resource to the customizing community. And I'm not going to even comment on the "nay sayers" bit...not worth my breath.

I don't speak for the other 4 admins at FFURG so take it as one guy's opinion. Overall you guys did a good job. Just understand the situation before pissing about lack of FFURG involvement.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
Master_phruby
post May 30 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #27

Customizing Master

Lets see, forum members could have sent figures in. They could have built buildings and mailed them in. They could have had a long discussion threads about how things should work. Work in progress pictures could have been posted. A section could have been created just for the UGP.

We had people from all over the country send stuff in (mostly east coast). No one had to be at C4 in order to participate. Infact, most of the participants were not. Everything was mailed to me and I'm in the process of mailing it back. FFURG could have supported the project with status report posts on the front page. I'd supply the pictures if not one of the staff could have phyiscally gone.

All of these things cost absolutely nothing to FFURG but gives back huge amounts of advertising during C4. This site could have gotten lots of hits from people interested in what we showed at C4 which means advertising dollars for FFURG. We had camera crews film the diorama, we gave media interviews and majorly hyped both JD and Yak websites.

I wanted so badly to have FFURG involved but whenever I talked about the project here all I got was a really cold feeling from certain posters and staff. That's too bad considering I've been part of FFURG since the listserve days.

I still would love to have FFURG involved with the UGP during C5 in two years. This site is all about my hobby and I want to see it grow to its full potential.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 30 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #28

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Ok I'm going to hop in on something here, but before I do I want to make note that if this becomes one of those silly internet flame wars, like ones that made the Listserv unbearable at times, I'm going to delete all the posts (including my own) following Paul's last update from 4/20. So let's all keep this civil and adult like, thanks! smile.gif

Ok with admin rant out of the way, let me say that Paul I had written back to you after the staff here talked amongst ourselves on whether or not C4 was feasible for us and if we could do a combine booth thing with the UGP. My message was that we couldn't make it but I suggested to speak with Mary at LFL who had been very helpful to us back at C3. I never heard back from you which I took to be that either you didn't get my message (I believe it was a PM here on the FForums) or that you were disappointed in the unfortunate circumstance and went on with your work to get UGP going for C4. If it was the former then I'm partially to blame for not following up to see if you got the message, if it was the latter I didn't really concern myself as that was your choice to make.

Either way I didn't let it effect me and I tried to keep up with the basic follow ups for the UGP here and at JD as time permitted (usually killing time at the office). With the lack of my own personal availability, I did not participate in the discussions about UGP and all that, but had I been asked to make posts on the main page of FFURG about updates on the UGP I would have loved to do so. It would have gotten word out about the great ideas the group had for the project, made it accessible to more people, and would have gotten us some actual updates on FFURG besides the Hasbro Q&A. But I never received a PM or an email (as far as I can tell thru all the spam we get) asking for mentions on the main page and to be honest I didn't go looking for anything either.

While I'd love to see this site grow more and more as I've worked extremely hard in my 6+ years on this site taking over where Dan, Doug, and Tim left off with daily updates, a lack of new submissions across the board has ebbed my enthusiasm at times. Take that into account along with my own private life (and I'm not going to get into a discussion about people having busy lives, we all have that, it's just a matter of how we handle it that differs) and my unfortunate lack of involvement on the site becomes more obvious. But had I seen requests to make some posts I would have hopped on that as soon as I could to help support the entire community, but no one ever came to me asking nor do I recall hearing about requests from any of the other staff.

Now about the costs, the staff hemmed and hawed for weeks about whether we could do C4 and it just wasn't in the cards. I wanted to try donations but for what we would have needed it would never have worked. None of us could afford to drop the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars that airfare, hotel, potential transportation, food, and entry fees that would have been needed on an individual basis just to get to C4. And that doesn't count the supplies we would have needed to make a booth happen.
While I greatly appreciate each and every person who bought or considered buying one of the C3 shirts, the money we made on those sales did not cover even our most basic supply costs (brushes, paints, etc) for the show. Had we not gotten two big fodder donations from Dennis and Dave, we would have had a hell of a time getting enough figures made to allow each kid to take one home. So a lot of what people saw at C3 came out of our own pockets, but compared to what would have come out of our pockets for C4, C3 was a mere pittance. So from our POV C4 just wasn't going to happen based on the LA location - which yeah worked great for many people out on the left coast (Paul I believe you're from that area yeah?) but did a disservice to many people east of the Mississippi such as all but two FFURG staff members (one lives in Cali, the other was going via another site). But I'm not going to complain about it in the end, it's a moot point. I so wanted it to happen, but we just couldn't get it done.

Hell I'm surprised LFL or GenCon didn't come to us asking for our presence at C4. Next to Frank's diorama section, the FFURG booth did more to bring in people, especially kids and their families to the Fan Hall at C3 than any other group there. That's not a knock on any of those other groups, they were all great but we had a daily interactivity that only one other section had and it was a shame that we weren't recognized for it by the people running the convention. But that doesn't matter to me because the people who did recognize it - all the friends we made at C3, from the smiles on the kids faces, to their parents who were elated to see their kids having fun, to all the great people who took time to volunteer and help out - made it all worth it, so I won't harp on it any longer, I just wanted to say that publicly since I've been holding it in for several months now.

Sorry about that, I got off on a tangent there for a bit. My whole point to this post was that a lot of things went into what's perceived as nay-saying and lack of support from FFURG. But there isn't the whole story being presented or anyone on either side of the fence until now actually owning up to say that hey "I should have done this" or "we could have done that", so any arguing over this is pointless without that. C4 has come and gone and the UGP did a fantastic job from the pictures I've seen. Every person involved should be as proud of their accomplishments at C4 as I am of FFURG's accomplishments at C3. So why harp on things that didn't pan out the way people would have liked, instead let's try to work on what can be done for C5 in the event that C5 takes place.

That's my two cents and just seeing it now, this is probably the longest post I've made in forever and a day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fritzkrieg
post May 31 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #29

Customizing Master

Member No.: 32

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here, But I was suprised by the lack of excitment for the UGP on these boards. I really expected FFURG to behind this project full force. I understand that not being there put a huge damper on the enthusiasim for this project. I know I was very disapointed I could not attend myself to keep an eye on my babies, but still contributed a lot through custom submissions, fund raising auctions, and sponsorship. I gave what I could even though I could not be there hands on. FFURG being the Flagship Website for the Hobby could have given a little front page press, to shine a little more light on the project, I don't think that would have cost anything. If this was a pride thing, were it was not done because it was not asked of FFURG, that's just ashame. I hope the admins of this site would not put their own pride over the genral good of the hobby.

Just my 2cents,
Fritzkrieg

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 31 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #30

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Fritz,

Thanks for the input, you're certainly not out of turn as it's an open discussion. Also thanks for the kind remark about the site, I'm glad to see people still think of the site fondly.

To answer your comments (and don't worry if you're concerned any offense was taken, as none was), it certainly was not an issue of pride that saw no posts on the main page about the UGP event. It was an issue of procrastination on my part for not really doing much to update anything on the main page for the reasons I previously mentioned. It was also an issue of not being asked for more FFURG involvement by Paul and everyone else who ran the UGP. As I previously mentioned I would have loved to at least post some updates on the main page had I been provided them, but that never came up. But without that prompting we weren't going to see anything happen as I mentioned before.

What we did do was pin this very topic to the top of the highest viewed section of the FForums after Paul had asked about a UGP section like the one over at JD. At the time we didn't go with a dedicated section as we wanted to wait to see how things progressed with conversation in this thread. Progress was quite slow, to the fact that the few times anyone posted about the UGP, they did so in separate threads in multiple sections. And as time moved on we saw little if any discussion here, but much at JD, which was the decision and choice the UGP coordinators made and there's absolutely no hard feelings or hurt pride over that.

That's pretty much there is to this tale. No intended slights against anyone from the FFURG side of things and I would like to believe the same could be said from the UGP side of things. I hope no one interprets what has been said in any other way as that only leads to the lameness that is internet feuding and I've seen enough of that BS over the years from many of the collecting sites to fill a book, or at least a blog.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pendragon
post May 31 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #31

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 1,441

It was also an issue of not being asked for more FFURG involvement by Paul and everyone else who ran the UGP. As I previously mentioned I would have loved to at least post some updates on the main page had I been provided them, but that never came up. But without that prompting we weren't going to see anything happen as I mentioned before.

No worries, man! I understand completely how running a site can be. We'll just make sure that everyone understands each other & is kept up to date if/when we do this again!

There shouldn't be any hard feeling here. Fritz spoke for a lot of us - most of us that were involved with the UGP started out on FFURG, and still view it with the same respect & love that we'd give an alma mater that we could be proud of graduated.gif

We all just need to keep communications a little clearer wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:49 PM || Skin by Metalaxe