Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Support Ffurg
savrip
post Oct 18 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

It's not much for you to do. You'll see some Google ads at the bottom of the forum pages and on our front page of the site. If you could make this part of your daily routine to click these a few times you could help me recoup some of the many hundreds of dollars I've spent on FFURG over the past years keeping it independent from other online sites that would like to absorb it into their content. Since we've had up the PayPal donate button we've received an astounding 1 buck from all those people out there. So I'm asking you to at least click a couple of links that will take a few seconds out of your life, but will maintain one of your sites you like to keep returning to.

I have managed to raise is about .20 over the past couple of days myself. That's why I need many people to contribute so the numbers will increase. You might see something you like along the way too, most ads are SW related as well.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Oct 18 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #2

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Tim, there anyway to make it so it goes into a new window or tab? I'm all for clicking to help the place out, but leaving my favorite place on the net....

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Oct 19 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #3

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

The main page at FFURG has links as well. Tim, if people click the links here AND on the mainpage, do the register once per day for each location? I know it's dependent on the IP addy and the day but we could do a lot more if both places register independently.

Paul, use Mozilla Firefox browser and you can open links in new tabs instead of leaving FFURG.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Oct 19 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Delaton @ Oct 19 2006, 11:48 AM)
Paul, use Mozilla Firefox browser and you can open links in new tabs instead of leaving FFURG.

I am and it is leaving anyways.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
savrip
post Oct 19 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Co-Founder

It's just opening in the same window for me. I have a thumb button on my mouse so I just click through and back real quick on the links, whatever they may be. I'll look into if I can change how the windows open, but I doubt they have code for opening a tab in Firefox. There is a setting in Firefox where it will open new windows in a tab if you'd like to change that, but at least for me they sites are opening in the same window as the page that I am viewing.

Thanks for your help everyone. I can already see a difference.

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
savrip
post Nov 5 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Co-Founder

Thanks for your participation in this. Evidently the clicks generated too much hits somehow and they suspended and disabled my account. Of course, they will not pay out what balance I had. They sound like a scam advertiser to me. They did not give me any proof or reason why the account was disabled, just that it was and too bad. There went the primary funds used to recover some site costs. I suppose I'll have to look for something else.

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Nov 5 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #7

What are you talking in terms of costs to keep the site up and running?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
savrip
post Nov 6 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #8

Co-Founder

QUOTE (pbarny @ Nov 5 2006, 02:44 PM)
What are you talking in terms of costs to keep the site up and running?

It costs me $239.40 this year to keep the site hosted. Last two years were a two for one deal, so cost half as much, but previous years costs a lot more before server prices fell. We use to have sponsors to help cover some of the costs. This past billing period some of the guys contributed some money to cover the costs. There are a lot cheaper places to move now, but that's expected as the years go by the server prices keep dropping. I think what people don't understand is that instead of having a few hundred extra bucks to spend on figures I'm spending it on keeping this site up, which Doug and I are the fathers of. It has become more of a liability than something I enjoy doing. The costs over the past 7 years I've been paying for it have approached $1k. I wonder if anyone loves the site that much?

There will definately be some changes made in the future. Either the total costs will be paid for in another way or FFURG will be joining with another collecting site that will host it for us. I've lived on one paycheck for nearly a year so my wife can stay home with my son, so FFURG costing me money won't be happening anymore after this next billing period. The 'guys' helping out this past billing period has helped a lot, but not everyone came through so I still paid for more than my share of what we agreed on. At least it wasn't as bad as previous years.

The GoogleAds were a decent money maker as long as people clicked through. I had over $60 and building, you have to reach $100 before getting a check, but even if I made $100 a month for a year I'd come close to recouping my costs for the past years. As it turns out I wouldn't suggest using them since GoogleAds scammed me.

I normally discuss this with the admins, but I may as well bring it up in public so you know what will happen with the site in the next year or if any suggestions are to be made.

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Nov 6 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Reply to my PM, i'll contribute something, not much...but if it gets Timmy an R5-D4 or keeps the site running (or Max some pears/apples), sure you won't refuse it. And considering I only give about 100 bucks to my Church a year (another 20 to the singing group it supports) my charitable donations are way below where I'd like them to be, but definitely what I'm capable of doing.

I suggest others who can make something do the same. I've decided to stop freeloading. To all those who do care, give up one figure or the cost in materials of one card to help keep FFURG afloat. It may come close. It may not, but until we try, something bad may happen.

I did try clicking, so I guess it didn't like me or my attempt to support.

This post has been edited by pbarny: Nov 6 2006, 01:04 PM

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Nov 6 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #10

Customizing General

Member No.: 106

Tim,

A couple of thoughts on the matter (because personally, I'd rather see you guys stay independent):

1) The link on the front page only allows credit card payments through Paypal. I'm willing to make a donation from a Paypal balance -- is there an e-mail address I can send it to?

2) Just to brainstorm, could FFURG start some sort of membership with benefits? The challenge would be to figure out what customs-related content FFURG could provide to members that wouldn't infringe on copyright. My initial thought was the template vault, but obviously that wouldn't be a possibility. If we could come up with something like that, would that be a way to keep you independent?

--------------------

+Quote Post
savrip
post Nov 6 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Co-Founder

QUOTE (tykrazen @ Nov 6 2006, 04:54 PM)
Tim,

A couple of thoughts on the matter (because personally, I'd rather see you guys stay independent):

1) The link on the front page only allows credit card payments through Paypal.  I'm willing to make a donation from a Paypal balance -- is there an e-mail address I can send it to?

2) Just to brainstorm, could FFURG start some sort of membership with benefits?  The challenge would be to figure out what customs-related content FFURG could provide to members that wouldn't infringe on copyright.  My initial thought was the template vault, but obviously that wouldn't be a possibility.  If we could come up with something like that, would that be a way to keep you independent?

Good comments. We've actually discussed a lot of things through the past years, but not acted on any. Regardless of what we do we'll do it in the best interest of the site as we always have.

paypal is linked to savrip@gmail.com

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Nov 7 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Customizing General

Member No.: 106

Tim,

I just sent you some funds to help out. Another silly thought -- why not post and sticky this at the top of the Board? -- I wonder how many people actually scroll down from the top two sections. I rarely scroll down below tips and tricks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
savrip
post Mar 24 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Co-Founder

Google Ads was a failure due to their ability to not listen to anything I had to say, but we'll move on. I added some affiliate links on the front page of FFURG.com. I would appreciate it if you shop these vendors that you would think about your customizing buddies and doing your part in helping to keep on-going improvements. It's as simple as loading up ffurg.com and clicking the links to the right on your way to purchase your items. If you're mainly a forum user then use the banner at the top to browse to the main page and that'll save you a little effort in getting to the front page.

We're going to undergo some big changes this year so I would ask that everyone try to help out as they can.

Current Affiliates:

StarWarsShop.com
Entertainment Earth
LucasArtsStore.com
Half.com

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 09:40 PM || Skin by Metalaxe