Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gardulla The Hutt's Palace
BrentS
post Sep 30 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #21

Customizing Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,091

Well, I know that I said I wouldn't show the finished Palace until after the next chapter of the Photonovel is finished. However, I just couldn't wait biggrin.gif I'm very pleased with how this whole project came together. There will be many many more pictures in the photonovel and after the photonovel.

But for now, here are a few photos for your enjoyment:

A special HUGE thanks goes out to findswoman for her excellent "soft goods" She is responsible for the rugs, blankets, pillows, and wall hangings. THANKS again!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
savrip
post Sep 30 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #22

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

This diorama has really shapped up nicely. I love the detail you've put into it. I look forward to seeing your work in the future.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Oct 2 2006, 04:25 AM
Post #23

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Hey Brent, I'm sorry for my lateness in my reply... Basically you answered my questions though so no worries, I just have a bad way of wording things, haha.

Anyways, outstanding work... I'm sorry I couldn't add input along the way but customizing's been hard to focus much on with life taking over and work at the other site and things. It's just a pain sometimes to get it all in and customizing has been taking the backseat now. sad.gif

Anyway, onto your project and some thoughts I'll list out...

-The curtain drawn to the one side is one of the best details I've seen in ANY diorama ever. I'm a huge fan of the little stuff, and that is a very life-like little detail. It's small, it's classy, it adds a lot to the "scene". It adds mystery, like what's back there... It adds realism... It adds detail. It takes the set tot he next level and it's a simple little thing you added. I like that man.

-The Dais is great... It's different and more "modern" looking than Jabba's. It's like looking at the difference between a man and a woman's tastes in that item. That's a nice touch, but it also ties the two Hutt's together, like they really enjoy a big bed to lie on because of their size maybe or whatnot.

-The LED's are amazing and add a lot to the scene to bring it to life... Especially enjoy the way you hid the lighting in torch-like designs but still keeping it electornically lit up. It's like it's "old" but still has the Sci-Fi elements to it. Very cool man.

Anyway, that's some thoughts I had...

The room seems a little sparse, that's my only criticism... The main hallway that is. There seems like there should be more seating or something... I'm curious, will you be adding to this at all? More rooms? Extensions?

Great work though Brent, I've enjoyed this project you've had going on her Palace... You did great with it. smile.gif

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post
BrentS
post Oct 3 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #24

Customizing Padawan

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Jesse, I want to respond to you in some detail. You've given me a lot of great ideas for this project. I agree with you on the curtain. Its my absolutel favorite part of the whole set-up.

Dias - The goal was to go 'lavish' with this one and I think we (I saw we since Findswoman really contributed to this part) really pulled it off.

LEDs - I've actually got grain lights (two each) in each of the three torches. LEDs were used for the stage lights. I was going to use LEDs in the torches but then they turned out to be too bright.

As far as your criticism on the sparseness. I really struggled with how else to fill it up. I've taken a bunch (100+) more photos for the photonovel and filled it up with many more characters. So I don't think its too sparse. However, maybe I should have some more seating areas in some fashion. As far as extensions go. I'm really not sure. This was really designed just to be used for the Photonovel. It was an awfully agressive project in terms of scope but it really doesn't have any sort of permenant display. I'm not sure if I'll add on or not.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

+Quote Post
BrentS
post Oct 12 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #25

Customizing Padawan

Now that I've finished up the photonovel. I promised to update with some more photos. Some are new and some are part of the PN:

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Nov 30 2006, 03:27 AM
Post #26

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Hey Brent, sorry for my late reply, I'm just not into customizing these days so I've been out of the loop and missed your finale...

First, I gotta say that it looks fantastic overall. I think the space is much more palacial than Jabba's digs, and I like that it's open like that whereas Jabba's house is sorta enclosed and private looking. I also love the way you decorated the interior with lamps and things. That's got to be my favorite aspect is the LED's you put in to light the interior up and make it look functional even though it's a diorama.

The grated door really adds a lot to the look of the building too, it's another favorite detail of mine... It is definitely unique and stands out.

The carpets/rugs are really cool and again add a lot of needed detail (and color) to the display I think. They give it again that functional look that sometimes I feel people's dioramas/displays lack. The palace is a home, and a home has rugs, curtains, furniture, etc., etc., etc... People sometimes slap together a house or whatnot and there's nothing to it and they think it looks realistic, but realism includes the things people use in life... Everything from cutlery to a throw pillow can make a diorama realistic... Case-in-point, 21st Cent. Toys made 1:18 bombed out structures for their military line, and one is a French Farmhouse that's 3 levels... It's sparse really, but a guy took his and threw in some dollhouse furniture, some of which he added bullet holes to or damage in some ways, and you really saw an amazing change in realism. It went from looking like a cool enough display/toy, to a real diorama/museum-ish recreation.

Your Palace reminds me of that... There's realism, there's detail, there's function... It's great.

The Dais for Gardulla rocks (as does the figure), and I like how you have her blanketed and she has the comforts of home around her (blankets, pillows, and really expensive looking stuff). It's really cool and well done.

I'm curious what the droid station's inspiration is... What is its function, what does it do? I see a PD hooked up to it and there's a cool console (well made and detailed to make it look different from 9D9's stand).

I love it though Brent, well worth all the time... It's definitely a much more friendly environment than Jabba's. This doesn't look like the type of pad where she's prone to killing people for fun or pulling droid's apart like a 9 year old ripping the limbs off a bug... She almost seems like she's a regal person throwing a party in her home town (she has a house in Mos Eisley, this is the place I'm figuring this is, instead of her Palacial estate outside the city, if that makes sense).

Very cool man, thanks for the updates, they were worth it.

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post
jameson
post Apr 13 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,463

QUOTE (Jesse James @ Jul 7 2006, 04:51 AM) *
Beware the heat put out by whatever lightsource you choose is my only advice at the moment. I've been looking into led lighting a display cabinet for my vintage figures actually and the heat generated is an important factor. I'm looking into rope lighting actually because of that.

I have similar experience when my lightsource ruins the effect I am making. I will remember this tip next time. thanks

QUOTE (Leader @ Jul 18 2006, 06:53 PM) *
This is freaking awesome!

You can say that again. I am amaze on how well he does it. I was trying replicate this myself with no success. Hope to finish it soon though smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 05:18 AM || Skin by Metalaxe