> Clone Turbo Tank/juggernaut, 3 3/4!
Jesse James
post Aug 3 2006, 02:49 AM
Post #21

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Ben,

I'd do general searches on Google for RC basics... to be honest though, and I have a bit of experience with RC cars (big, small, cheap, expenseive, I've been there... That was a big hobby for me at one time), there is a lot of issues that can come up with cobbling together an RC car from scratch... My advice would instead to be looking at existing cars at Wal-Mart perhaps. There are some cheaper cars out there, big too and bulky, and their may make a functioning engine and RC layout you can fit into your Juggernaught, and instead basically build the tank around the mechanism... If that makes any sense.

Building from scratch has a lot of pitfalls to it... I know many who've done it, and it's not an easy task.

Google around though for RC scratch building and I'm sure you'll find some stuff.

Good luck with it man... I've pondered the Juggernaught in a 1:18(-ish) scale too... I've not moved on it, but I've thought about it too... I see something here or there, and think "man that'd make a great piece on a Juggernaught", and then I shake myself back into reality and my plethora of other half-done stuff... I don't need to be starting more. *sigh*

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Jul 23 2008, 06:31 AM
Post #22

Customizing Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,620

Instead of creating a new topic, I'll post here: does anyone have a detailed pic of one of the A6 Juggernaut's wheels? And possibly the diameter? I was thinking about 2.5 times the height of a clone, so 15-16ft.?

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jul 23 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #23

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (IncomT65 @ Jul 23 2008, 06:31 AM) *
Instead of creating a new topic, I'll post here: does anyone have a detailed pic of one of the A6 Juggernaut's wheels? And possibly the diameter? I was thinking about 2.5 times the height of a clone, so 15-16ft.?

Can you give me a week on this? I should be able to pull it out of either the Imperial Sourcebook or WotC Arms and Equipment Guide but since I'm moving this weekend, they're in boxes and should be out and accessible by next weekend.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Jul 23 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #24

Customizing Knight

No problem. I'm working on a Juggernaut Clone Commander type of figure and want to make a mini dio of him standing next to a wheel.

You mentioned the ISC. I have one myself and just checked, but unfortunately there isn't any information on the size of the wheels. Funny, I didn't know the Juggernaut is another EU creation turned canon smile.gif

In the Incredible Cross Sections book I can see the wheels don't have tires, but are actually made up of several "discs", so that much is clear.

Take your time, your help is much appreciated cool.gif

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 6 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (IncomT65 @ Jul 23 2008, 03:28 PM) *
No problem. I'm working on a Juggernaut Clone Commander type of figure and want to make a mini dio of him standing next to a wheel.

You mentioned the ISC. I have one myself and just checked, but unfortunately there isn't any information on the size of the wheels. Funny, I didn't know the Juggernaut is another EU creation turned canon smile.gif

In the Incredible Cross Sections book I can see the wheels don't have tires, but are actually made up of several "discs", so that much is clear.

Take your time, your help is much appreciated cool.gif

I found the box with my A&E last night, so hopefully by Friday you'll have your info. UGH, unpacking is worse than moving!!!

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Aug 21 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #26

Customizing Knight

QUOTE (pbarny @ Aug 6 2008, 11:32 PM) *
I found the box with my A&E last night, so hopefully by Friday you'll have your info. UGH, unpacking is worse than moving!!!

Don't I know it, I recently found a couple of books I thought were lost during our move (early 2004) unsure.gif

So, any luck yet? I think a 10" wheel will be pretty much in scale, don't you think? I just need to find the right microwave/tupperware kind of bowl of which I can neatly cut out the bottom. The other discs of the Juggernaut's wheel are easily made of styrene or white cardboard.

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 21 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (IncomT65 @ Aug 21 2008, 03:16 PM) *
Don't I know it, I recently found a couple of books I thought were lost during our move (early 2004) unsure.gif

So, any luck yet? I think a 10" wheel will be pretty much in scale, don't you think? I just need to find the right microwave/tupperware kind of bowl of which I can neatly cut out the bottom. The other discs of the Juggernaut's wheel are easily made of styrene or white cardboard.

Sorry, I just realized I neglected you. 18 hour days in the lab probably don't help. My bad. I think that sounds right, but I want to get out the calipers and use the "scale" drawing they have for you. Course, can we ever really truely get scale?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 22 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #28

Height of the A5 is 10m. control tower is additional 5m. Using a gif image with pixel counting, but rough measurements are 15 cm tall total height on image used (so 2m/3cm scale) and wheel are 2cm tall, that makes them 1.333m tall in reality. So, in reality, the wheel would just be shorter than a clone.

QUOTE (dark jedi ben @ May 29 2006, 04:12 PM) *
Cool, I was going to do the same thing, which of the 3 models will you try , A4, A5, or A6? the A6 can hold up to 300 troopers uses 12 pilots and 6 gunners and its Length is 49.4 meters and its height is 30. 4 meters the A5 can hold 50 troopers uses 2 pilots and 6 gunners its length is 21.8m and height 15m, the A4 can hold 20 troopers uses 2 pilots and 6 gunners its length is 20 m and its height 12 m, if you want a juggernaut and in scale use the A4

These references are wrong. I have A&E, ISB, and Guide to Galaxy that give it as 10m tall and 5 m tall on tower for the A5, with the A6 not being that much different. Maybe the heights include the tower, but these numbers are off.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Aug 22 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #29

Customizing Knight

QUOTE (pbarny @ Aug 22 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Height of the A5 is 10m. control tower is additional 5m. Using a gif image with pixel counting, but rough measurements are 15 cm tall total height on image used (so 2m/3cm scale) and wheel are 2cm tall, that makes them 1.333m tall in reality. So, in reality, the wheel would just be shorter than a clone.

Thanks for checking things out, Paul, I appreciate your effort, especially deducting the size of the wheels by looking at the overall size of the vehicle. Hadn't thought of that myself yet dry.gif

Now that I know that, I took a look at my Incredible Cross Sections book and the SW Databank Entry on the A6 Juggernaut.

This excerpt from that entry is quite interesting and explains the differences between the A5 and A6:

"Behind the Scenes
The look of the turbo tank was first developed during the making of The Empire Strikes Back. Early story concepts for the Battle of Hoth had the Imperials attack not with walkers, but with tanks. Joe Johnston concept sketches included a ten-wheeled behemoth bristling with weapons and sporting a thin crow's nest at the very top.

This design was abandoned, but it was resurrected almost a decade later by West End Games. At the time the sole publisher of Expanded Universe lore, the roleplaying game company added a wealth of ground assault vehicles in 1989's Imperial Sourcebook. One such vehicle was described as the HAVw A5 Juggernaut, and was based on Johnston's sketch. Due to its inclusion in this book, the tank would appear elsewhere in the Expanded Universe, such as guides, novels and videogames before its eventual debut in a Star Wars movie.

George Lucas revisited unused concepts from the original trilogy when seeking to bridge the designs of the new and older films. The tank design was one of them -- renamed the turbo tank. As seen in the film, the turbo tank is much larger, better armed, and cosmetically different from the Juggernaut seen in the spin-off materials. To accommodate these differences, the Revenge of the Sith turbo tank is actually an HAVw A6 model, while the other ones previously seen are smaller HAVw A5s."

The SW Databank does state the ROTS A6 Juggernaut, as seen on Kashyyyk, as 49.4 meters long and 30.4 meters high (mast extended).

So I took this picture from Wookieepedia, printed it out and measured its length (cockpit to cockpit).

The length was 65mm. So that'd mean that 1mm. = 0.76m. The wheel diameter in the pic measures 10.5mm., which would imply a "real world" diameter of 7.98m. Measuring the height gives the same result: bottom wheel to top of the mast is 40mm. = 30.4m. Again, 7.98m. for the diameter.

By the maker, that's really insanely huge!! In scale I'd need a disc of nearly 17.5" blink.gif

So, apparently George Lucas revisited the old designs of Joe Johnston (later used in EU) and decided that the Juggernaut would have a role in ROTS..... only he completely disregarded the stats mentioned in EU sources and made that thing 50 meters long! No problem, said EU, it's just a bigger version of what was already known biggrin.gif

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Aug 22 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #30

If it is, than those little walkers are 15m tall because they'd have to be to account for the difference in height. I just think they messed up the scale. Not the first time LFL has done their math wrong (SSD anyone?).

Your picture is one of several I analyzed in ImageJ (used to guess cell structure size of microscope images). I do admit, I am averaging. So there is some wiggle room, but LFL can't carry numbers from one place to another or moves a decimal place yet again.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Aug 22 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #31

Customizing Knight

Well, if LFL can jiggle scales and measurements, I'm sure no one would mind me doing the same. Making a diorama with a 17.5" wheel is too much. I'll try the 10" version instead.

Draw a 3.75" stick figure in front of a 10" circle and you'll see what I mean.

Working on my TF diorama really has lit a dio making spark. I'm thinking of having this custom fanfic Tank Commander-esque figure standing next to the wheel, under which lies a crushed SBD. Heh, maybe even in one of those "look how big a shark I caught" poses: "The Juggernaut: crushing its way to your freedom!"

Thanks for thinking along, Paul thumbup.gif

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 02:12 PM || Skin by Metalaxe