> Unwanted Scripts
Boshuda
post May 6 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Customizing Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 692

Hi

I'm (all of a sudden) getting script prompts and file download prompts every time I load a forum page. Can you admins look into this please? Thanks

FYI

The file download in question is called xpladv452.wmf from traffbucks.biz

The script prompt is just ????????????????????????????????

--------------------
Genius and insanity differ only by success!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 6 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #2

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Boshuda,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

First off, I can assure you that these scripts that are trying to run are not a part of the intended FForums presentation. I saw the script's attempt to load when I opened the FForums up in Internet Explorer. This did not occur with Mozilla Firefox. As such, I wouldn't suggest viewing the FForums using IE right now.

I am attempting to uncover what the problem is, so far nothing has been modified on the FForums software, so this leads me to believe this is an issue with our host server. We'll keep you updated as we go along.

Our apologies for any inconvienences this may cause.

Jason

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 6 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #3

FFURG Man-At-Arms

And an update...

I'm not sure what caused it yet, but somehow a script calling a program at traffbucks.biz called adv452.php was embedded into some code into the FForums. There appears to have been some issue with the webhost, so it might have stemmed from that. Nonethless, I have removed the offending references to the script and it will longer try to load when you come to the FForums.

Our sincerest apologies for any inconvienences this may have caused any members. The FForums will never intentionally contain such malicious code and we shall endeavour to ensure it does not occur again.

Thank you for your support and continued patronage of the best damn Star Wars Customizing board on the net!

Jason

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boshuda
post May 7 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Customizing Master

Glad it got all cleared up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 7 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #5

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

firefox plus scriptblocker extension my canadaian friend. It stops all unwanted things cold. Btw, Jason, do you recomend any particular browser, settings or extensions/add ons to browser to enhance our FFURG expierence?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 7 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #6

FFURG Man-At-Arms

QUOTE (pbarny @ May 7 2006, 09:45 PM)
firefox plus scriptblocker extension my canadaian friend. It stops all unwanted things cold. Btw, Jason, do you recomend any particular browser, settings or extensions/add ons to browser to enhance our FFURG expierence?

Mozilla Firefox is definitely the way to go. It's a far better product than IE and is constantly updated.

In posting and updating on the main page, I have done so using Firefox in mind. It's what I use and sometimes I forget to check how things look on IE. So if you ever see something out of whack on FFURG when viewing via IE, stop viewing it with IE! laugh.gif No really, it just means I forgot to check my changes thru IE before posting them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mitsukara
post May 7 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,457

I was around when this happened yesterday- when I got the prompt I immediately tried to close it, but was getting no response so I yanked the modem phone line out to disconnect quickly.

My virus scanner immediately thereafter stated that there was a virus in the temporary internet files, and removed the file in question.

Not having the problem today, so all seems well on my end. One day I should switch browsers anyway though...

--------------------
Leaving for now. Thanks to everyone who helped in various ways with my customizing efforts!

+Quote Post
Findswoman
post May 7 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #8

Customizing Master

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8

And I... I am a proud user of a Mac. biggrin.gif

Just kidding. wink.gif I'm so glad to hear that all's now okay! Kudos to Corran for yeoman service in getting this thing fixed.

... the Findswoman

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boshuda
post May 8 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #9

Customizing Master

QUOTE (Mitsukara @ May 7 2006, 09:17 PM)
I was around when this happened yesterday- when I got the prompt I immediately tried to close it, but was getting no response so I yanked the modem phone line out to disconnect quickly.

My virus scanner immediately thereafter stated that there was a virus in the temporary internet files, and removed the file in question.

Not having the problem today, so all seems well on my end. One day I should switch browsers anyway though...

I found that the script prompt had to be 'closed' about 5 times before the window actually closed. I'll delete my temp files in case a virus snuck in, but I didn't get anything on the auto protect.

As for firefox, I used to be a Netscape user for browsing and converted when Netscape got to slow. I would've switched to firefox had there been one at the time. I tried firefox not long ago and found that a number of sites are written for IE (and now I'm used to using IE) so I've just stuck with it.

I do use thunderbird for email though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 8 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #10

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Well there are several IE extensions that launch pages that need to be looked at in IE (sic) to be launched in IE.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 06:51 PM || Skin by Metalaxe