Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Template Vault, Status
meccano-man
post Jun 16 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #41

Customizing High Council

Group: Members
Member No.: 57

These last two posts, made by pbarny and CorranHorn, sum up the FFURG Forum philosophy perfectly! I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for this. I feel very confident that you have spoken for the majority of our contributing members.

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2014 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jun 16 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #42

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Meccano-Man and PBarny,

Thank you for you support and words of encouragement. The staff at FFURG enjoy the fact that we have many productive members of the community such as yourselves (and so many others its impossible to list them all) who participate here at the FForums. We hope that we've provided a place where creativity will not be hindered by others, whether that be from lack of constructive critiques, claiming's one work as their own, or any other such negative actions. Many thanks for your continued participation, especially during the Vault ordeal - I hope to have something put together over the weekend in regards to that.

Happy Customizing!
Jason

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jun 16 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #43

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (CorranHorn @ Jun 16 2006, 10:44 AM)
Meccano-Man and PBarny,

Thank you for you support and words of encouragement. The staff at FFURG enjoy the fact that we have many productive members of the community such as yourselves (and so many others its impossible to list them all) who participate here at the FForums. We hope that we've provided a place where creativity will not be hindered by others, whether that be from lack of constructive critiques, claiming's one work as their own, or any other such negative actions. Many thanks for your continued participation, especially during the Vault ordeal - I hope to have something put together over the weekend in regards to that.

Happy Customizing!
Jason

No thanks necesary Jason. I'm here cuz I want to be and participate because there are things that pass through your life that seem minor but turn into something. But I remember the time when I was considered a trouble maker and was "watched" by several people. What happened to me?

Oh well...time to make a "special post".

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Jun 21 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #44

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

It should also be noted that trimming the fat (IE: cutting lurker accounts that aren't often used) isn't foreign outside this site guys... JediDefender will do this as we maintain a close watch on who is on our boards using them, or lurking in our finds areas... It's the same problem when you strip it down to nuts and bolts. It's opportunists taking advantage of others, so to fix the problem we take action.

Rebelscum's trimmed the fat to rid multiple account holders, etc., so it's not something FFURG is guilty of alone to maintain a properly run and monitored forum. While I am not the administrator here, the actions taken are a necessity due to the actions of a number of people. Hopefully people will be MORE active in LEARNING how to make cards now though... To me you have to turn this into the positive it can be. IE: More people getting into that aspect of the hobby (carding customs) and learning to do it themselves rather than relying upon other people's work.

Me personally, I'm not a carded kind of guy but I'll enjoy looking at people's work yet as I always have... And I hope that people who really want to get into carding customs are going to now take the initiative to learn from the wisdom of the carding experts like Mecanno Man and others. That's the way the hobby's supposed to be in my opinion... Learning from others, not having them do it for you.

And if you're concerned about your account here going south, I can think of NO better way to halt that than to get involved here. I see some of you guys say you feel this site isn't busy enough for you, but frankly I can't always keep up with what's going on here what with all my other posting... So it seems plenty busy enough to me, and I think that www.FFURG.com should be THE central customizing community that bridges the gaps between the collector sites. This is the only site dedicated to the hobby we supposedly love so much, and dedicated to that niche alone, so for the masses at other sites to underappreciate that fact is really a shame. Because you post at my dayjob over at JD.com, or elsewhere, doesn't mean you can't post here too and share your same thoughts/opinions.

If you have a comment elsewhere, copy it and paste it here... Not everyone frequents every site, but this can be the customizing hub if people make it that. As I've always said though, it takes traffic to make traffic, so ignoring the "hub" isn't helping the hobby in the slightest.

FFURG is FOR customizing... Use it, learn it, love it. The GI Joe guys are able to do that, so I think we can too.

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post
captaincracker
post Jun 23 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #45

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,583

I am fairly new to this site and I'm sure that because of this most people here won't care what I have to say, but I do have an opinion on this topic. I think that it's agreat idea to post non-printable images of people's custom work. As long as you say who did the work, it can be up to the members to contact each other for full size images. I have only made a few custom cards so far and I would gladly share my stuff with anyone who wants it. On the other hand, I really hope that the vinatge original cardbacks stay up in printable size. I have been able to get images of every SW and ESB card, but no ROTJ and POTF or Tri-Logo stuff. I would hate to have to go to ebay or some other site to pay for these images that so many others have gotten for free. I at least hope that the character images are left up, I would glady add them to the card templates myself. I have spent hours and hours searching for these images with no luck, but I would hate to burden asking a member to email me or post around 40 cardbacks for me.

As for non-posting members, I hope that there is not some high number given to the amount of post needed to stay a member. As I said, I am fairly new and I love to read the forums to get ideas, but have rarely posted, because when people ask for help, I feel that a person who has more experience with this hobby is better suited to answer than I am. I also don't like to ask questions that can be found on old posts, because I have noticed that some members get upset when asked to answer these "repeat" questions that had answers previously posted somewhere. That's not to say all members are like this, most are very helpful, but I'm sure that you all have noticed that some can be very "cranky" in ther posts at times.

Once I have completed my vintage collection I plan on posting more, because I will have more time to work on custom cardbacks and I will have more knowledge to use to help others. I have a few ideas that I have not seen anyone else do and am very excited to get going with them. The one cardback that I have posted, people were very helpful in giving me ideas and I really appreciate that. Good feedback can only make my stuff better.

I hope that whatever happens, everyone who comes here for personal (non-profit) reasons will be happy.

+Quote Post
dandomatic
post Jun 27 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #46

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 1,633

I'm also new and I joined specifically so I could print/look at hi-res cards for my vintage figures. I don't see what removing scans of the Kenner-created, Lucas-owned cards solves. The people that would use them for the wrong reasons most likely already have them. Now the only solution for guys like me is to either do without or buy a CD (which probably originated from one of the pirates) that may or may not have all the vintage line...which may or may not be printable. If I had the means or skill to make my own reproduction originals I would. That said, I can see reducing the size or access to custom cards, but the originals...I'm a little confused and a lot frustrated.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jun 27 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #47

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

We know how a lot of your feel, and we are currently trying to find time and resources to correct this situation. Just remember how upset you all are over this temporary closure. Any time in the future that you see someone selling cardbacks that are not theirs, please make sure to let them know that "They suck", report it to the original owner if possible, and do not perpetuate the stealing by buying them!

BTW, you have another option. Trade with one of our very talented customizers for his/her images of the original cardbacks. The cardback people here at FFURG do great work and are willing to share if you're pleasant and ask nicely.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
dandomatic
post Jun 27 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #48

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 1,633

I'm glad the wheels are in motion. I was afraid I sounded somewhat like a jerk; that wasn't the intent. Since I'm starting from zero: I'll trade a hearty "thanks man" for quality scans. I did download the ones from swinserts.com. Some of them are pretty good.

+Quote Post
meanie
post Jul 7 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #49

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 1,448

This is the first time I have posted here as I'm more of a reader, but I have to agree with higherstandard in his comments re: how much work goes into making templates etc I make all my own and it takes me days. I have bought one or two customs from Ebay on occasion, purely because they've appealed to me. FFURG does and I'm sure will continue to do wonderful job of bringing us all together, the knowledge that some members have to share is amazing... and I have to admit that being a novice, a lack of courage has prevented me from contributing purely because i feel that 'we're not worthy syndrome', for this I apologise and rest assured that I speak for the many ' not so vocal' members that we do appreciate the knowledge and the work involved here................ and I promise that if I do happen upon something that will perhaps be of assistance there'll be some kind of large party and I'll share that revelation. Thanks for reading this.

+Quote Post
yodafett
post Jul 13 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #50

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 137

Since the vault is closed maybe in the future instead of custom artwork it could just be blank scans of all the cardbacks so people to use for there customs. That's all I need are scans of the saga cards, or maybe someone could tell me where I could go to get scans of the new saga cards. All I want are front, back, and the insert blank for customizing. I want to do a Custom card for my Neyo, Clone Scout, and Thire Custom.
Thanks

+Quote Post
kcs54007
post Jul 21 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,660

what can i say i join....want access to the vault....and its closed i read the paragraph on why.....im really getting into custom figures....i know some people(the people that are cheaters) sell these templates for money.....i dont believe in selling stuff that isnt yours(the copyright thing) im new and this isnt probably going to do much but.......i say open it for maybe an hour of the day.....never tell anyone that its opening.....if you stumble apon it go in do what u have to do any leave......just for an hour a day people would have to guess and some people wouldnt even know its back open.....make people check....that would probably stop people from using it for money(stupid people censored.gif ) well thats what i have to say

--------------------
Fear leads to Anger,
Ander leads to Hate,
and Hate leads to Suffering

--Yoda

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 21 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #52

Surviving Admin Member

We're currently still reviewing options to make the vault somewhat accessible, but much more limited than before. Stay tuned.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jul 22 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #53

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

And sending me e-mails (you guys know who you are) demanding to know when the Vault is going to be online, especially when you aren't a contributor to the FForums or FFURG isn't going to get it up any faster.

This is a free service to everyone and we want to make sure it's presented in a way we see fit, so it may take awhile to get it setup the way we want, especially since we have more pressing concerns in our daily lives to worry about.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Sep 4 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #54

So Jason, did the purge ever happen?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
JediMagoo
post Dec 1 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 1,638

Greetings all! I have a quick question. Is the Template Vault ever going to be back up? I have read all the responses in the posts and it has been months since it has been shut down. I know about the issues concerning the vault, but if someone really wanted to get some card backings to use for nefarious purposes, they could easily go on eBay as I have seen people selling CD's with card back templates on them. Those of us who use the card backs for our own purposes for our collections (I personally use card backs for the scene that is on them for my dioramas) are left not being able to access a vital part of our customizing.

I implore all of you to please put back on line the gallery for us.

Thank you all for your time and patience.

May the Force be with you...

--------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
- D. Vader

+Quote Post
JediMagoo
post Dec 7 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 1,638

Greetings once again all! The email note may have been directed to me as I have sent a few emails inquiring about the Vault, and even though I am new, I do contribute (Not in monetary as I cannot as I am on disability from the Gulf War) and post customs as well as questions and answers. While the individuals who run the website who are the staff on the main page, I understand they must get quite a few emails, but it would be the considerate thing to do to at least reply to those emails. I hope the staff doesn't take what I said the wrong way, I truly love this site along with all the others and have been a great help as I have picked up this fantastic hobby since being on disability.

Also, I may have been confused as to what type of cardbacks are in the vault. Are these just strictly custom cardbacks? If so, I think the suggestion that Yodafett had of having scans of all of the cardbacks of all the Star Wars figures that have ever come out would be a great idea. As I stated previously, I use them strictly for dioramas and those types of things. And if someone wanted to be evil and go to the darkside and use what is in the vault for evil purposes, as I said before, a simple search on eBay could get them what they need.

Thanks for listening...

--------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
- D. Vader

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Dec 7 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #57

Surviving Admin Member

To be perfectly honest, FFURG is a very low budget website...as in no budget except what we've been able to scrape together. There are 6 admin right now. Jason, who handles a lot of the complex postings and html changes, Tim (co-founder) who owns the site and works on the fforums behind the scenes, and Jesse who helps now and again but is mainly focused on JediDefender. Myself, who's in charge of the Q&A, minor html posts, and a major fforums moderator. Doug (co-founder) and Dan (Rebelscum guy) are not currently active on FFURG, but do stay in contact. Esther is a FFORUMS moderator but we haven't gotten her pulled into the site maintenance...yet.

In regards to the email, I honestly don't check it. I'm going to kill my account soon. The spam is ridiculous and out of control. Everyone knows how to get a hold of us here. Each one of us has an email address on our signature. Don't think that we're not accessible. We just have lives outside of the hobby. We all have regular jobs, families, kids, other interests besides customizing. We love the activity that FFURG has had since the FFORUMS were created. However, speaking only for me, I find it hard to find time during the week to even check the FFORUMS after work and family, let alone revamp an entire template vault that really needs 24 hours security.

I don't get upset or angry at the people who ask about the vault. It shows interest in our hobby and our website. But everyone has to understand that we don't get paid for this. FFURG isn't our job. It's our hobby. The template vault, although a great concept, is fundamentally flawed because of the $&*(@# on EBAY and other sites, selling other people's work. It's not going to stop. FFURG cannot afford to be caught up in a Hasbro or LFL lawsuit over distribution of the copyrighted material. Bars that sell alcohol to drunk drivers are liable. It's no different in the eyes of the law.

Jason and Tim have come up with an approach that MAY work for the vault. I know for a fact that some of the file modifications have taken place. We're looking into updating the fforums software, at which point we'll talk further on the vault and it's problems.

Until then, please stay tuned.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Dec 7 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #58

Surviving Admin Member

I realized I never answered your other question.

The template vault had a LOT of custom cardbacks, but it did also have master blank templates for people to use. Those blank templates (no names or photos) should be made available in large file sizes, somehow. We haven't quite figured out the method yet. The custom cardbacks or any completed cardbacks with photos and text, will come back, if at all, only as very small, unprintable files.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
ooga_booga_cthul...
post Dec 10 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 1,813

Hello, I just thought I should add my two cents worth. After much searching on the web, I recently found your website and I was delighted to see that you had blank templates available. However, I was terribley disappointed to see the vault was closed. For what it is worth, as someone who is brand new to custom card/figure deisgn it would be nice to see at least the blank templates back online. Thank you for reading.

OBC

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Dec 10 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (ooga_booga_cthulhu @ Dec 10 2006, 02:15 PM)
Hello, I just thought I should add my two cents worth.  After much searching on the web, I recently found your website and I was delighted to see that you had blank templates available.  However, I was terribley disappointed to see the vault was closed.  For what it is worth, as someone who is brand new to custom card/figure deisgn it would be nice to see at least the blank templates back online.  Thank you for reading.

OBC

Just a couple questions for you. Did you search and read all the other topics (as well as all of this thread) on this subject to see why it happened?

IT's such a can of worms that it's made something that was supposed to be enjoyable (like you're getting into) and corrupting it by making it work, illegal and a whole bunch of other things that are just not worth it for the staff's time.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 10:36 AM || Skin by Metalaxe