Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Template Vault, Status
meccano-man
post Apr 30 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #21

Customizing High Council

Group: Members
Member No.: 57

QUOTE (CorranHorn @ Apr 30 2006, 08:26 PM)
Also, as many have pointed out in the past, we have a large number of members who have never posted, many likely because they just want access to the Vault. Well, we will be clearing out the zero-post users at some point in the near future, look for an announcement about that soon.

Great! This action will do our community some good. The number of registered users should dwindle down significantly. After all, it's the active members that keep the FForums alive, not registered "phantoms".

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2014 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jesterinazz
post May 1 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,536

Well, that too (booting non-posters) is all well and good, but I'm new here, and havent posted that much. In reality, I work tons of hours and may not get to post very often at all. Where would the line be drawn?

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post May 1 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #23

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 57

QUOTE (jesterinazz @ May 1 2006, 09:02 PM)
Well, that too (booting non-posters) is all well and good, but I'm new here, and havent posted that much. In reality, I work tons of hours and may not get to post very often at all. Where would the line be drawn?

That's a good point you bring up, jesterinazz. Those who have posted very little, say 10 to 20 posts, may have to be scrutinized more closely. The moderators may have to look at the total numer of posts in relation to how long ago these users registered. Someone with 10 posts who registered last week should be exempt from booting. But someone with 10 posts who registered 2 years ago may have to be taken out. These people may have posted in the past, but they will likely never return. This type of thing just happens on message boards. The list of registered users definitely needs to be cleaned up though. So what are the moderators' thoughts on this?

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2014 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.

+Quote Post
pbarny
post May 2 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #24

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (meccano-man @ May 1 2006, 10:40 PM)
That's a good point you bring up, jesterinazz. Those who have posted very little, say 10 to 20 posts, may have to be scrutinized more closely. The moderators may have to look at the total numer of posts in relation to how long ago these users registered. Someone with 10 posts who registered last week should be exempt from booting. But someone with 10 posts who registered 2 years ago may have to be taken out. These people may have posted in the past, but they will likely never return. This type of thing just happens on message boards. The list of registered users definitely needs to be cleaned up though. So what are the moderators' thoughts on this?

There's a little thing in your My Controls that tells you aproximately how many posts per day. That counts for how long you've been here. I'd be all for cutting off all people who post less than 1 time per month if they're looking for an arbitrary number.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 2 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #25

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

When we clear up the user database, we'll be clearing out users with zero posts who registered prior to a certain date. Any recent newcomers to the FForums will not be effected. It's just a matter of cleaning up the DB for all those people who joined 2 years ago and never participate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sidiously Darth
post May 2 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 33

"Begs for mercy as posting neck is laid on posting chopping block." tongue.gif

I've been a registered member since June 14, 2004. I have 13 total posts. I'm sure some will do a doubletake on that and wonder what the... Anyway, I've just recently started working on custom cards but I've been a collector for many many years. I would browse FFURG's tutorials on customizing figures for help and ideas. I registered with the intent to post when I had something to add or give.

This goes the same for several of the SW collector sites I visit. I've been a registered member for years but my post counts are usually low b/c I don't always chime in just to add to my count. I really try to submit comments when they're legit.

I've already had some good feedback and help from a few of the more active members here. I just hope that my access will not be eliminated just when I'm starting to get into this customizing area.

--------------------
Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

+Quote Post
Delaton
post May 4 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #27

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

Sorry to be cold to people just starting out but if you want to miss the "purge", post more. The FFORUMS have been the biggest success, I feel, here at FFURG because they're a self-propegating custom resource...but to do that, we need people to post, talk, discuss, and share.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
darthmadonna
post May 4 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #28

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 517

I do not post much either. I was registered once a couple of years ago but I had to re-egister this last january. I have my ups and downs when it comes to customizing. I dont mind posting to much here, you all seem very nice and mature. I have hung out on plenty of boards where I dont like to post becuase there's always some wise cracker, who likes to cause trouble or be rude.

I do agree tho that the improper use of the images from here is wrong. I have rarely ever used any due to the smaller file size. I like to see what others do and maybe get some inspiration. So maybe the gallery can just be smaller files meant to be looked at and not actually used to recard. Its a tough challenge thats for sure.
Danny

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 5 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #29

FFURG Man-At-Arms

We'll be only getting rid of the zero post users who have been on here for an X amount of time (time frame not determined yet, maybe this weekend I'll get it figured out). We got tons of people who have signed up and never posted for any of the following reasons:

* They like to sign up at every SW board out there, then never post

* They signed up to get access to the Vault only and don't post ever.

* They signed up, forgot they did so and don't remember they have accounts here

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wylde31
post May 8 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,596

1st time poster here, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing out on, but visual aides are always a touchy subject when it comes to editting/customizing some one else's property. Although I'd love to see the templates, restricting access to "frequent users" is usually the best way to go. Kind of a rite of passage for hanging around and participating.

Sorry to burst in like this. biggrin.gif But this seems to be the only complete site out there for customizing guides for figures and (more important for me) card artwork/templates. I just like noodling around in Photoshop to see what i can come up with. heh. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
shannnon
post May 17 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,483

well i have a couple of dozen cards in the vault and a couple of hundred on my site.

i scan ebay usually once a month and in 5 years i have been making cards i have seen at least a dozen sold on ebay, i just e-mail the seller and they usually never sell my stuff again.

only with the free exchange of patters, ideas, techniques can we grow together as a community, other wise we can all be hermits in a cave and never share.

water mark those that want it, small display only for those that want that, and let those that want full sized cards and templates to be allowed to share them.

nothing gets the creative juices flowing like seeing a hardcopy of something.
------------------
http://shannonwagoner.tripod.com/

+Quote Post
yodafett
post May 23 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #32

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 137

First I'd like to say It's been a while since I've posted due to uncontrolable circumstances, and it's great to be back even though I'm not here much, only for assistance from time to time. Unfortunately the first thing I see coming back is about such a useful tool being closed because of some censored.gif trying to make money from an enjoyable hobby by using other peoples work! I personally don't use them because of not having the ability to print them onto a card. Even if I did I would only use the official Hasbro card design for my figures and would never sell on Ebay, I'm not into this hobby to get rich or make a living at it! Even though there is alot of custom artwork done on these by gifted people, all images still belong to LFL, ultimutely it's the hard work that is put into these cards that are being taken advantage of.

"Colorful" metaphors deleted...

This post has been edited by Delaton: May 24 2006, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
Clank The Robot
post May 30 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #33

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,222

So its been six weeks...any updates on what direction the vault is taking? any timeframe?

Greg

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 30 2006, 02:48 PM
Post #34

FFURG Man-At-Arms

I expect to have an answer before the end of this week, I'm working out some details first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Jun 8 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #35

Customizing Master

Member No.: 9

Just an added note, sorry its a bit late, what about making the vault accesable to those who have contributed something to the vault?
That way you get a better range of those who are using it for custom cards not for quick cash.
I love looking through the vaults. I like looking at others work, i like looking at reference cards when touching up photos.
Its a great resources.

--------------------
Hey... It's Me! - Han Solo

Glassman's Customs ~ CustomAlliance Page

+Quote Post
jackRH07
post Jun 13 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,003

I printed out 2 and saved a lot but I would never sell one at a collecter market. But once I thoght someone did use one...................Obi-wan from EP 1 concept but it was real!

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jun 14 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #37

FFURG Man-At-Arms

QUOTE (Speed Racer @ Jun 8 2006, 07:57 PM)
I'm pretty sure this has already been suggested but I think the best idea to handle the vault situation is to only host very low res images that wouldn't be suitable for printing, or better yet, make them too small for printing.  Offer some type of link for contact information under the images and if someone wants to use a hi res version they'll have to get permission from the owner.  I realize this isn't a perfect solution but it's better than not having a template vault at all.  Just my two cents.

That was posted in another thread by Speed Racer. I've been a bit behind in informing everyone what the status is - that's what happens when being the manager of an IT department takes a toll on you - but we are in fact going to be handling the Vault in the very fashion Speed Racer mentions. We're working out all the details now, specifically what the image size should be. We have to make the image big enough to be viewed as a display of work, but not too big where someone will print it out. More details will be forthcoming as we get them worked out.

Happy Customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tj4tj4
post Jun 15 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 997

[B]Okay, I'd just like to say I'm sorry for what's happening here. Seems like the first problem was, members getting upset that others were selling their work on e-bay and profitting from it. Yeah, that sucks, but really, it is taking break off your table or the shoes off of your kids' feet? I doubt it, but I see why some people would be upset. Still, the seller does have to make the effort to print a card, include a figure, card it, and all that, so it's not like he's just selling your software (oh, wait, some people sell CDs, never mind--but coudn't the CD buyer just go to Vault and get them him/herself). Anyway, yeah, I see why some are upset about this.

Then, the argument turns to kicking out anybody who's been lurking around here for two years and hasn't posted. I've probably been lurking around for 4-5 years and this might be my first post. Does that put me in the same class with some guy selling your art-work on E-bay? I don't see the connection. Kinda reminds me of WMDs and Sadam, but I digress.

Finally, it looks like the collective decision has been to post images, but not good enough to print out. Well, that sucks for a lot of us, or at least for me, b/c I have personally used other people's stuff to card vintage-style figures, to post on my own wall and keep in my own collection. Again, does this put me in the same vein with the e-bay sellers of your efforts? I dont' 'tink so.

The bottom line is, people are going to find a way around whatever we/you do, they'll sell customs that are crappy based on low-res images, or whatever. They'll get around it b/c some people just are that way. So, by caving to them, we're just repeating the whole thing about terrorists winning because now we're too damn scared to leave our own country for vacation (or whatever that argument). What I mean is, don't let the few ruin it for the rest of us, who like seeing other people's work, who occastionally print it out for our own use, and who don't want to get kicked off this forum/vault becuase we don't post often enough, or at all. Hell, I'm like a three-star general over at R/S Forum, but that doens't let me stay here at Vault.

Anyway, that's my rant for today.

Po' Dead Jawa
Cincinnati, OH

My bad, it's my second Post but I was a member back in '01 or so and forgot my password--lucky me, now I'm less likely to be booted!

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jun 15 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #39

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

It doesn't matter what anyone does at any one site. Just saying you read the posts isn't the same as actively participating, it's just like claiming weapons of mass destruction exist in certain countries but I digress. Any five year old can read. Only by posting are you telling everyone that you both are reading and participating.

So cut the whining, if you haven't had anything to say until now why bother? No outrage before, no support/condoning the action before, what changed it all now?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jun 15 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #40

FFURG Man-At-Arms

If you actually read this thread and several others all around the FForums, you would know the issue revolves around two parts: People who have submitted cards not happy that there are people taking their work and selling it as their own or for profit in general - something this site is not for. The other part is that the staff of this site no longer wants to maintain the Template Vault in it's current condition and have to deal with the problems associated with it. Therefore, we will be going forward with changing the Vault for display only, it will then be up to the card maker themselves to decide how to share printable versions. That's a fair enough compromise and if it results in no more submissions to the Vault, we'll live.

As for the clearing out of 0-post members, that's standing too. I've already stated why it's happening and nothing will change that - just have to find the time to do it and do it right. A person's status elsewhere is not our concern, unless they are a habitual problem across the community, we could care less if they are a 3-star general at Rebelscum, a green lightsaber at Jedidefender, or whatever the post indicator is at TheJawa, Yakface, or Galactichunter. They're all fine sites, but I'm sure they don't concern themselves with the status of most members of other sites. Members of the FForums are only concern and we like to see that the people here are contributive to this message board and the community. Now that you've remembered your password, join in the conversation and be productive alongside most others, you'll find it to be a positive experience.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 05:19 PM || Skin by Metalaxe