Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Printers, Reviews
savrip
post Jul 8 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

This thread is for anyone to reply to and create a review based on printers they have had experience with. Please note advantages/disadvantages, or anything else you would like to talk about on the product. Try to provide a specification list or at least a link to a list of them and a photo.

HP 2175 Specs

So-far-so good. This printer is really fast compared to most inkjets I have used. On glossy paper it produces a very nice quality image in a short amount of time. It automatcially aligns print heads. That kind of shocked me since I've always had to calabrate my printer in the past.

The integrated flatbed scanner is not only a great space-saver, but scans in really nice quality. I don't usually scan anything in over 300 dpi so it's quick and easy. The software that works with the printer is kind of stupid. I can't find a way for it to remember my DPI settings.

I thought the digital card reader was just a gimic, but it has turned out to be one of the best features of the printer. I no longer have to plug a USB cable up to the camera and transfer, or leave the image grabber software that came with my camera running in the background. I just pop my 256mb Secure Digital card out and into the printer. Sometimes it difficult to insert the chip. I'm hope they will make it a little easier on future models, but it's still a great feature. Once the chip is inserted a light will come on and it reads the chip. A window opens on your desktop and you'll be able to browse through it just as any other folder. Make a folder or drag them to your desktop, but I usually right click and drag them to the location so I can select "Move Here". This copies the files to the folder you choose and removes the images from the chip so you have a freash chip next time you start shooting. In situations where someone else might be over taking pictures it accepts almost any type of solid state media. I had a friend over with a Sony camera and grabbed his pictures before he left, and also borrowed my Dad's camera with SmartMedia cards and didn't need all his transfering equipment to get my pictures from his camera.

Everyday use I set my printer to print only with the black cartriage so I can save on my color ink. It's extremely fast with text. I didn't mention, but it's about ten times more quiet than my old Epson printer. A little blue light projects from inside the printing area. It makes me want to name him KIT. The copy feature on the printer is a time-saver as well. You can quickly make a copy of any scan without having to touch software on the computer. With a flatbed/printer setup usually you'll have to do some software work on the PC to make the transfer. By having the two integrated you don't have to touch a thing besides how many copies and pressing the Black or Color copy button.

Overall, the printer is getting high marks from me. Ink doesn't seem that expensive, but I'll look into instructions on refills since that worked good for my Espon printer. HP printers come in different qualities, of course, but I don't think you can go wrong with anything around this line.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Jul 8 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Customizing Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

I use a Epson 1280 photo printer.

It makes great quality prints. I got this to print my own photos. The fact that i can print my cards on it is a bonus.

You can go here to epsons website for the Printer specs.

The color cartridge lasts about as long as the pack of paper. About 50 high quality sheets. Keep in mind the dimemsions of a card are roughly 6x9 so if you are just printing cards you should get more. The black cartridge lasts about 3 times as long.

The thing i like most about the printer is that it has a borderless printing feature. So you can print edge to edge of whatever size paper you use.
The only thing i dont like aboout the printer is that it only has one indicator for "low ink" so if the light is flashing you have to use the printer software to find out what your ink levels are. The disadvantage to this is that you have to have that extra software on your computer.

Side note : I was using a cheap generic USB hub when i first hooked it up and it kept dropping my prints. When i bought a decent hub, the problem went away. Havent had a problem with it since.

When you use the printes Highest setting of 1440 dpi ( when i print large photos) it prints SLOW. That is a combination of the memory i have available on my computer as well. It spools it slowly ans prints it slowly. For cardbacks i use the 720dpi setting and it is fast.

--------------------
Hey... It's Me! - Han Solo

Glassman's Customs ~ CustomAlliance Page

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Jul 8 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #3

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 57

Savrip,

I have an HP photosmart 1115, and when I print my cards out the print is always crooked. Does your printer do this? I'm wondering if this is just a flaw in my printer alone.

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2011 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.

+Quote Post
savrip
post Jul 9 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #4

Co-Founder

Funny you should say that. I printed out 5 magnetic sheets for our KSWCC magnets we're giving away this weekend. I notice one of them was way off... like .5 degrees. The rest of them didn't line up perfectly either. Once I put them on my X-acto cutting board I could never leave the paper flush and make the cut, I always had to adjust it to make the straight cut line. I guess it really doesn't matter. We cut everything out of the center anyway. Curious it does this though.

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 9 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #5

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

Believe it or not, I'm still chugging away with an Epson 600Q. After 250 invitations, save-the-dates, magnets, envelopes, CD covers, inserts, labels, etc., all for the wedding, it's still going adequately.

I think this is a testimate to Epson's quality and durability. When this one finally craps out, or when it mysteriously "falls" off the moving truck in 3 weeks, I'll definitely be getting another Epson.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
savrip
post Jul 14 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Co-Founder

Time to write another one. I just bought an Epson R380.

Epson R380 Specs

First of all I'll add that it has lots of features. I was planning on buying my next machine with wireless capabilities, but the time struck me and I wanted to pick up something quick. I don't normally do that, but this was a major exception. I had researched these DVD/Paper combo printers in the past so I was familiar with it to begin with. The quality seems nice enough, but something I'll point out that matters to all of us, ink usage.

These are fairly small tanks, but as you can see in the photo before I started these nice full tanks stayed pretty full. Except the black. This is after 11 card fronts.

The other cartridges didn't bat an eye, but I can foresee having to refill or buy many black cartridges to finish over 90 fronts and backs.

From this non-scientific experiment 50% of my ink was spent on, lets say 10 prints for the sake of rounding, so 20 prints for the whole black tank. There are ~ 90 figures in the vintage roundup so 180 prints for front and back. That makes 9 black tanks and whatever the other colors will drain out slowly. Fortunately the tanks are only about $6 each with a few quick price checks. If these can be refilled I already have lots of black ink I don't mind using so in the end it might not be so bad.

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
OrangeLeader
post Aug 6 2007, 11:09 AM
Post #7

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 555

Has anyone had any experience with a multi-function machine (ie printer/ scanner/copier combo) for making custom cardbacks/packaging? I am looking to replace my old Canon scanner and printer (separate machines) with an all-in-one unit for a couple of reasons.

1) My scanner is an old model with a 25-pin serial cable and 1200 dpi max resolution. My new computer doesn't even have a 25-pin serial connection. I could either buy an adapter or replace the machine (which I've wanted to do anyway).

2) I've never been really happy with my Canon S520 printer. Regardless of the resolution of the image or the settings, my photo-quality print jobs always look more pixelated than I'd like. I originally bought this to print family pictures (and still plan to do so on the new machine), as WinXP didn't play nice with my old Epson at the time, but the quality never lived up to my expectations. So, once again, I have decided to replace it.

For the new machine, scan and print resolution are important factors as I do plan on printing family photos on this machine as well as customizing projects. I have a couple of cardback/packaging projects that I would really like to get moving on but would like to replace my equipment with something newer/better before I really ramp up. Ideally, the new machine would have a pass-through tray for printing on thick stock, but this is not a make-or-break feature. And wireless/network-ready is not necessary.

I would appreciate any advice, recommendations or warnings any of you may have. I read the pinned Printer review thread but didn't see anything about multi-purpose machines.

TIA!

--------------------
-- Pat Pscherer
DC Metro Area Star Wars Collecting Club
serving SW collectors in the DC/MD/VA area
www.DCSWCC.com

+Quote Post
fettsplace
post Aug 6 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #8

Customizing General

Member No.: 280

QUOTE (OrangeLeader @ Aug 6 2007, 12:09 PM)
Has anyone had any experience with a multi-function machine (ie printer/ scanner/copier combo) for making custom cardbacks/packaging? I am looking to replace my old Canon scanner and printer (separate machines) with an all-in-one unit for a couple of reasons.

I don't know how combo/all-in-one machines stack up to separate machines, but I generally avoid them for two simple facts 1) of one part breaks down then may lose more than one machine at once or have a half working machine at best. 2) I tend to update my scanners less often than my printers.

Also I've had a canon scanner for some time. I don't really like it either. I don't have problems with pixialtion with it but the colors never seem to be TRUE. I'm using a Microteck 48 bit scanner now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
savrip
post Aug 6 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #9

Co-Founder

Good point Fett, I peviously used the HP listed at the top of this thread and never found an issue with the printer. However the scanner had some haze on the underside of the glass that must have been from the factory and I didn't notice until it was too late. If you're pressed for desktop space than they're really nothing like an all-in-one. They're quite nice, but if you want to choose the best of each device then you'll have to buy separate machines.

Since I picked up a very nice scanner recently I went ahead and just bought a printer so that I could find the features in that that I wanted.

--------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins

+Quote Post
fettsplace
post Aug 6 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #10

Customizing General

Member No.: 280

just one quick note, that slipped my mind last post. weither you decied to go with an all-in-one or seperate printer scanner, I'd suggest you make sure the scanner uses a white light tube/bulb and not the LiDE (LED iDirect Exposure) in my experience the LiDE models just can't capture ture colors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Aug 6 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #11

Customizing Master

Member No.: 792

For my everyday customs, I use my HPd135 (all in one). The scanner scans up to 1200 dpi (pretty accurate on the colors) and the printer is decent (and the ink is rather cheap). I keep telling myself to splurg and buy a better printer but never seem to pull the trigger.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrangeLeader
post Aug 7 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #12

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 555

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I appreciate your insights. A big part of the reason that I was looking at the multi-function machines was to save desktop space. What you say, though, makes sense. If one part of the machine goes faulty, then you're out both pieces to replace it.

And yeah, my scanner is an LiDE model. I'll have to be sure to look for a white light unit for this go 'round. A big thanks for that tip!

Thanks again to all!

--------------------
-- Pat Pscherer
DC Metro Area Star Wars Collecting Club
serving SW collectors in the DC/MD/VA area
www.DCSWCC.com

+Quote Post
dave
post Sep 9 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,746

Chiming in on the multi function as well, another problem you have with them is more components in one small place generating heat and wearing out the parts to others. I learned this quickly after my first tv/vcr combo angry.gif

I currently use a HP 5770 photosmart. It prints a little slow on the highest resolution setting but I always get great quality! I have never had a problem with alignment either. The downfall to this one is that it seems to burn right through the ink, I imagine they dont fill them as full as they could.

The problem with the printer is the price of the ink, they sell you a decent printer below cost, so they can take you on the ink for years to come. Kodak is supposed to have released a new printer that reverses the market. They sell you a nice printer at what the cost should be and then you can buy the ink for super cheap, it probably works out about the same but I would rather go with the company that isnt being so sneaky about it first, not to mention as a photographer I have a lot of great things to say about Kodak.

--------------------
It is possible to store the mind with a million facts and still be entirely uneducated (Alec Bourne)

+Quote Post
Cobra_UK
post Jan 31 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,926

Ive just bought a second hand laser (still under warranty) off E-bay ...

The Samsung CLP 315

Would you believe after 1 test print it ran out of Magenta sad.gif

Have ordered a refill kit from the far east, ill let you know the results on a card print once the kit arrives.

For comparison i still have my HP Photosmart C3180 plugged in, once i source some card (in UK - any info welcome) ill compare the 2 cardbacks and see what you guys think.

--------------------
Looking to trade card scans - Have Polish / Mexican / SA available, Looking for Tri-Logo / Meccano / etc

+Quote Post
Cobra_UK
post Mar 12 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #15

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,926

The Samsung Laser printer (update) - very happy with the image printouts, on stickyback A4 labels (matte) it had the perfect shine to the black, however i bought one of those chips you solder to the motherboard so that you can re-use the cartridges via toner top-ups - what a nightmare its been since, keeps appearing to run out, makes a mess etc etc avoid the chip and toner refills with this one, its basically nothing but a nightmare, you may get 1 or 2 good prints before it starts losing a colour again (strangely even though it reports the toner as full and i know its full) - could possibly be the toner itself who knows - stick with original toner carts!

Toner cartridges = around £35-£45 and there not very large either.

--------------------
Looking to trade card scans - Have Polish / Mexican / SA available, Looking for Tri-Logo / Meccano / etc

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:09 PM || Skin by Metalaxe