Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vinyl Cape Jawas, A Custom "Focus" Collection
meccano-man
post Sep 18 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Customizing High Council

Group: Members
Member No.: 57

This vinyl cape Jawa collection is one that I have been working on for some time now. This "focus" collection represents all the foreign varieties of cardbacks that I have in my template collection to date. There are two others (Meccano & Clipper 12-backs) which I have not been able to complete as of yet. As always, though, I'm working on it.

The vinyl capes are exact reproductions of the original Jawa cape. I purchased them from ToyRestore. These custom capes, however, are thicker. They were very tough to manipulate around the figures. Once I had the capes set, I had to weigh them down for a period of time. I never thought I would complete a set like this before I finished my C-3PO Project. huh.gif That one is still on hold. I do hope to complete it by the end of this year.

Here they are:

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

WANTED: Lili Ledy­® ESB Generic Cardback

©2014 Sunflake Circle Graphics, Inc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boshuda
post Sep 18 2005, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Customizing Master

Member No.: 692

Holy schnikies, that (they) look great. I don't understand why you couldn't get thin vinyl, like the ones used on vintage capes.

--------------------
Genius and insanity differ only by success!!

+Quote Post
Speed Racer
post Sep 18 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 398

QUOTE (Boshuda @ Sep 18 2005, 09:29 AM)
Holy schnikies, that (they) look great. I don't understand why you couldn't get thin vinyl, like the ones used on vintage capes.

To get the exact type of vinyl that was used for the vintage Star Wars capes it would have to be special ordered in a extremely cost prohibitive bulk quantity. Also, unless you had it pre-cut in to small sections, it would come on a huge roll.

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Sep 18 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Customizing Master

Member No.: 792

Meccano-man:

I should have my Clipper 12 Back early this week (I'll email the scan when I do) so you'll be able to work on completing this amazing focus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boshuda
post Sep 18 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Customizing Master

Member No.: 692

QUOTE (Speed Racer @ Sep 18 2005, 09:11 AM)

To get the exact type of vinyl that was used for the vintage Star Wars capes it would have to be special ordered in a extremely cost prohibitive bulk quantity. Also, unless you had it pre-cut in to small sections, it would come on a huge roll.

You should be able to buy vinyl, by th eyard/metre, off the roll.

--------------------
Genius and insanity differ only by success!!

+Quote Post
Speed Racer
post Sep 18 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 398

QUOTE (Boshuda @ Sep 18 2005, 08:03 PM)

The exact color and thickness needed for the capes would have to be custom ordered which means you would have to buy an entire roll. This is what a few different companies that deal in these materials told me when I was researching the project for myself.

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Sep 18 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Customizing High Council

Over at rebelscum, Glassman asked if these were all individually carded figures. The answer is "yes". I guess I should have provided a group shot of all of them. I could very well have placed a single figure on each cardback and then taken a photo of each. But I just couldn't be that deceiving. laugh.gif So here's the proof. Enjoy, my fellow customizing comrads. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret." - Emporer Palpatine™

+Quote Post
fettsplace
post Sep 18 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Customizing General

Member No.: 280

QUOTE (Speed Racer @ Sep 18 2005, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Boshuda @ Sep 18 2005, 08:03 PM)

The exact color and thickness needed for the capes would have to be custom ordered which means you would have to buy an entire roll. This is what a few different companies that deal in these materials told me when I was researching the project for myself.

Yeap, same deal with haveing custom blisters made by companies most of the time. Sometimes you can get a brake with custom blisters if someone else wants to make a custom blister at the same time and use the same material thickness and do a shared run.

--------------------

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Jul 22 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #9

Customizing High Council

Here's a recent addition to to this collection. I present the new and improved Jawa Japanese cardback showcasing both the vinyl and cloth caped Jawas. Enjoy!

Here's the backside . . . .

. . . and close-up shots:

--------------------

+Quote Post
oldrepublic
post Jul 24 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #10

Old Republic

Member No.: 876

Hello Meccano-Man.

Good to see you actively posting again here at FFURG, it's been a while since I made any new posts myself.

The cards look fantastic, judging by the amount of VC's you have there I reckon you must have bought one of those huge rolls of vinyl biggrin.gif

Whilst on the subject on vinyl capes, I have been holding back on posting any updates on the 'Behind Plastic' joint venture between Todd and myself, all I can say at this present time is that the blister moulds are now in production, we have hit many problems over the last few months and made an all important decision to change the material to aluminium, as we were not happy with the results of using resins etc, and we feel the need to get the results perfect.

Back to the vinyl cape part of the above paragraph, I have purchased a small quantity of vinyl and have had some 'Jawa' and Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi' capes die cut in order to 'test the water' as the saying goes. If any one is interested in these then please send me a PM.

I have sent some samples of these out to Todd in Australia, and he was quite impressed, he has purchased several capes from different sellers and his conclusion is that the ones I have had made are as close as possible in thickness, texture and colour.

Below are some pictures of the capes, let me know what you think, your comments are much appreciated...

Vinyl Cape Jawa (Front View)

Vinyl Cape Jawa (Back View)

Vinyl Cape Jawa + Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi

Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi (White Hair) is the reproduction cape, (Grey Hair) is the original genuine vintage cape.

I'm not aware of anyone actually offering a good reproduction Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi cape, the one's I have seen in the past are either too thick or are completely the incorrect colour.

Once again good work MM!

David, Old Republic.

--------------------
David, Old Republic (UK).

Behind Plastic

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Jul 24 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #11

Customizing Master

I keep meaning to buy some Jawa blisters and this post has certainly brought that back to the front of my "want list". Good show Bryant!

--------------------

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Jul 24 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #12

Customizing High Council

Dave, I'd be interested in purchasing some of these as well. What would the cost be for each cape? Also, do you think the new blisters will be available by the end of the year?

Kevin, are you going to buy the blisters from Guardian-Dragon?

--------------------

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Jul 24 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #13

Customizing Master

QUOTE (meccano-man @ Jul 24 2007, 12:27 PM)
Kevin, are you going to buy the blisters from Guardian-Dragon?

I'll probably go with Toy Restore's as I love the quality and consistency. Besides, I like buying, when I can, from a fellow customizer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Jul 24 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #14

Customizing Master

Whilst on the subject on vinyl capes, I have been holding back on posting any updates on the 'Behind Plastic' joint venture between Todd and myself, all I can say at this present time is that the blister moulds are now in production, we have hit many problems over the last few months and made an all important decision to change the material to aluminium, as we were not happy with the results of using resins etc, and we feel the need to get the results perfect.

I was wondering what was going on with your project as I posted a message for you and sent Todd a pm, which were both unanswered. I was beginning to think I wasn't loved around here smile.gif I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi (White Hair) is the reproduction cape, (Grey Hair) is the original genuine vintage cape.

I'm not aware of anyone actually offering a good reproduction Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi cape, the one's I have seen in the past are either too thick or are completely the incorrect colour.

I've never been a good judge of the Vinyl Cape Jawas so I can't really comment on them. However, the Ben really looks great and I'm wondering how they "feel" next to an original. When I place my first order for some of your unique bubbles, I'll need to order a few of the Ben capes as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Jul 24 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #15

Customizing Master

Member No.: 9

I think your japaneese jawas are excelllllent! (in my best Mr. Burns vice)
They are beautiful.

The capes look great. As far as repros go, i think once the color is matched, i can deall with the thickness being off. It will be behind plastic so it doesnt bother me that much.

Great update.

--------------------
Hey... It's Me! - Han Solo

Glassman's Customs ~ CustomAlliance Page

+Quote Post
meccano-man
post Jun 23 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #16

Customizing High Council

When the vintage collecting community discovered that a genuine Meccano 12-back vinyl cape Jawa did indeed exist it was almost unbelievable. It has taken me months to finally get around to making one of my own. Adopting a little baby with one week's notice will throw you off kilter like that. It's nice to return to a project like this after a long hiatus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
savrip
post Jun 27 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #17

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Welcome back, I've been absent lately as well. Other projects get in the way and this gets bumped for me. Glad to see you back and stellar work as always. You're close enough to me I need to make it a point to stop by eventually. Maybe a detour on the way to CVI.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
d_j_s
post Jul 14 2011, 07:21 AM
Post #18

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,673

I really love the look of the Meccano vinyl Jawa. Great job on it.

--------------------
A good runner leaves no tracks.

+Quote Post
erkant
post Jul 18 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 3,357

thanks
www.kartusnoktasi.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 04:04 PM || Skin by Metalaxe