Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My very extensive project is underway. First up-The Phantom Menace.
sexxydrummerboy
post Apr 27 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #1

Customizing Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,281

I finally got some progress done on my 400+ cardback project. I started with The Phantom Menace(besides others I did while getting accustomed to Photoshop from all 6 episodes). I am labeling them all as works-in-progress until I print them since I am always getting new ideas and better pics to use, etc. I wanted to post a bunch and see what you think of them so comments, opinions, and critiques are highly welcomed!

First up is Anakin Skywalker. I may change the pic as I have a few others I would like to try but so far I like it.

Next is Darth Maul from the final duel. I may tweak the image of Maul to make it look more colorful but I'm not sure what to do with it yet but I do like it alot. I used the clone-stamp to fill in the upper gaps and blend it.

Next is another Darth Maul which resembles one I first saw on here in the vault and absolutely loved it so thank you to whomever came up with the idea first!!!

Next up is a Destroyer Droid. I like the image alot and I like making the figure areas proportioned to what the actual figure will use up when carded.

Next is Fode and Beed. I took a screen-cap and fit it in without any major modifications. Seems like alot of the digital characters look slightly fuzzy in screencaps no matter what I do but it seems to work so hopefully it prints very nicely.

Next is a Jar-Jar I made. I love the image and thought it would fit in very nicely. Very Kenner-esque and kid-friendly.

Next is Ody Mandrell. I thought the image was neat so I went with it. Simple but effective in my opinion.

Next is OOM-9. I always thought this would make a really nice cardback. I did some cloning to fill in the gaps and added some clouds to break up the blue sky near the name-plate.

Next is Padme' from the end battles. This is one of my favorites so far. Seemed like a very Kenner-esque image and I thought it would be perfect to use on a cardback. I did some cloning to fill in the top.

For TC-14 I just fit the image in without any cloning, etc. I really like this one also. The chrome makes a nice image and the purple really sets it off I think.

Next is Ric Olie. I thought this one turned out very Kenner-esque as well. Simple with vibrant color differences to set it off.

And finally is Watto. It took me awhile to find a nice image of his entire body to use. Finally I got this one and I think it is really neat. I like the arena background with him pointing after he loses his bets. One of my faves as well.

I have many many more to do for Episode 1 so I will post more as I do them. I have lots of ideas for pics to scan from books and magazines and such to use. If anyone has any comments and critiques I would love to hear them. Especially about color choices for figure and nameplate areas as well as better images to use, etc. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed what I have posted so far. Theres many more to come so stay posted!

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

"You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Apr 27 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #2

Customizing Master

Member No.: 9

Nice work. Cant wait to see more.
Love that padme card. Very nice photo choice.

One slight suggestion, a couple of the images you chose lead you off the card. Maybe flipping a couple of those images would help.
Anakin and the DestroyerDroid, Vs the direction of Say Padme and Maul. Especially when you put a figure on the card.

Great work so far.

--------------------
Hey... It's Me! - Han Solo

Glassman's Customs ~ CustomAlliance Page

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post May 7 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Customizing Padawan

Hey everyone,
I did some more cardbacks so I wanted to post a few more. What do you think?

First up is a Battle Droid. I did some cloning to erase another droid who was on the right side of the pic as well as some work on the window to the left to extend the image upwards.

Next is Captain Tarpals. I like this one a lot and I like the sea-green color for the nameplate and figure area. Very swampy/water/ocean-like feel to it. I did some cloning to add more detail in the upper area to make it more interesting.

Next I have Darth Sidious. I like this one a lot also(really I love them all-hehe) but this one stands out especially with all the red. Very Sith-like. I did some adjusting to just the Sidious area of the pic with contrast, etc by using the lasso tool in Photoshop. I think it looks nice but theres always room for improvement. Any tips?

Next is Mawhonic. I did some cloning to extend the image and make the top more interesting with some added engine parts, etc.

And last up for this post is the Holograph Darth Sidious. I like this one a lot also. I thought the pink/purple colored nameplate and figure area would work well with the figure. I didn't reverse the image because I liked it as is. If he were looking a little more to his left then I would have flipped it. I also did some cloning here to extend the image upwards and downwards.

I will post more very soon. I have a lot of images I wanna scan and some other re-works to do. I hope you enjoy them and thanks for looking!

-Tommy

ps-Thank you for your kind words Glassman. Your work has been a huge inspiration for me to do this so thank you again!!!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
FoxtrotDelta
post May 12 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Customizing General

Member No.: 984

Very Nice Work SDB

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jun 2 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #5

Customizing Padawan

Hey everyone,
I've been doing some cardbacks for Attack Of The Clones and I wanted to share some of them. I made a new logo for the top area of the card. The previous one I had posted in my practice topic was just a font I had used but this one looks more like the Empire logo and fits in better with the vintage feel I think. I have many many more to do for The Phantom Menace but I wanted to post some AOTC ones as well. I hope you enjoy them and feel free to comment and/or critique anything.

I really like this Padme'. The image I found was extremely nice.

Here's Jango. I'm not 100% sold on the image of him but so far I like it. I am debating on any image adjustments to improve it.

Dex has always been one of my fave characters from Ep. 2 so I had to make one of him and its one of my faves.

And of course Dooku is just awesome.

I thought this image of 3PO worked very well.

I love this image of Zam even tho she is hard to see but I think it works well.

I have several more to post within a day or so as well. I hope you enjoy them and thanks for looking!

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jun 2 2009, 04:26 AM
Post #6

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Have you thought about looking at ROJ for inspiration on the AOTC logo? Both have "of the" in the title. Your cardback imagery looks good but the "of the clones" looks crammed in there IMO.

Also, maybe try a different picture of Zam Wessel. The pink background fights with the rest of the image, making it very dark. Maybe a picture of her "unmasked" when she's meeting with Jango? There's some good half-body shots there.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jun 2 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Customizing Padawan

Thanks for the input Delaton. I made up a new Zam and it looks much better now. I also made up an ROTJ styled logo for AOTC. It looks ok but I'm not sold on it yet. From the start I have been trying to connect logo styles together for all 6 episodes(corresponding so-to-speak such as the first episode of each trilogy, then the second, and third). TPM with ANH, AOTC with ESB, and ROTS with ROTJ. Just a weird little thing I came up with and another way to connect the originals with the newer films. But I am open to ideas so it may change. Here's the new Zam. I have more to post later also.

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jun 7 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Customizing Padawan

Hey hey,
Here's a few more AOTC cardbacks I made. I have about half done for AOTC so far. The number in the upper left corner of the card shows the sequence: 02-Episode 2, then a 3 digit number for the sequence number on the list I made which may change. I hope you enjoy them!

Flo is one of my fave droids from SW. She's awesome in her own little way.

I flipped this image of Cap. Typho because I really like it but he is looking so far to his left that I figured it would be better to reverse it but I may find a different image since his eye patch is now on his right when it should be on his left. A little detail, but I am picky about stuff.

And here's my Lama Su. I have seen him done this way several times and I really like it so I went with this captured image of him. The Kaminoans are some of the coolest looking aliens from SW IMO.

Thanks for looking and I hope you have enjoyed them. I have more to post shortly as well so check back if you'd like and thanks again for the comments and suggestions!!!

...Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jun 11 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #9

Customizing Padawan

Here's a few more...what do ya think?

I love this Padme' since the image is from overhead. A different perspective and I think it's really cool.

And Owen and Beru from AOTC. Just in time for their figure release which I think is very soon?.

Thanks for looking. I have more on the way shortly.

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
d_j_s
post Jun 12 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #10

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 2,673

I like the different perspectives on the clone pilot and Padme cardbacks.

--------------------
A good runner leaves no tracks.

+Quote Post
FoxtrotDelta
post Jun 22 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #11

Customizing General

Member No.: 984

SDB,

These cards are awesome, your best one IMO is the Clone Pilot.

FoxtrotDelta

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jul 28 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #12

Customizing Padawan

Hey everyone,
I wanted to post some more cards I made so here are some from ESB. I have done a few ROTS and ANH so I will post them soon as well. I have been jumping from film to film doing a bunch. I have to finish screen-caps of ANH and do all of ROTJ, then scan any remaining pics I need to do all 400+ cardbacks. I also need to figure out how I want to print them so they look as good as possible. Here are some from ESB. I hope you enjoy them!

By sexxydrummerboy at 2009-07-28

Snowtroopers are prolly my fave trooper from the entire saga...I really like this one.

I thought this Lando image worked very well.

I think this is a neat image of Vader to use for a card.

I really like this Rebel Trooper image as well even tho he is looking off of the card, the combo of him and the kneeling trooper and the radar laser cannon all add up to a cool shot IMO.

Let me know what you think. Any comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for looking! I'll have more soon.

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Aug 1 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #13

Customizing Master

These are great. The image choices are amazing. LOVE that lando card.
I think your AOTC cards could give clones a little more love. OF THE is the same size as CLONES.
They should be smaller and CLONES as big as ATTACK.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Aug 7 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #14

Customizing Padawan

Thanks for the compliment Glassman. I may tweak the AOTC logo yet. I made a new TPM logo as well and may tweak that one more as well. Here are some more ESB cards I have done. First off are a few bad guys...

I really like this one of Piett.

I got the idea for this one from a member on here but I can't remember who it was so I apologize and I thank you. it's a neat one I think.

Now for some good guys...

I thought this would make a sweet card for Han. I may make the figure area a bit bigger.

I like this Luke alot...

Here's a Yoda I made. The image is similar to Kenner's from back in the day but I noticed this is a bit of a different angle pic of him from what Kenner used(I think). The pic is a screen cap.

And here is an R2 I like alot.

I thought that R2 would make a neat cardback with him being all dirty and grungy. All the pics are screen caps I took. I havent begun to scanning all the others I need from which I can't get from the films. So soon hopefully-lol. I hope you like 'em. I have more to post soon as well and thanks for looking!

Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Oct 27 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #15

Customizing Padawan

Hello hello...I've been busy making cardbacks so I wanted to post some more. I have several from Episode 4 that I recently finished(well, they are all considered works in progress) so your comments and critiques are very welcomed. I want to start printing them(FINALLY). I went to a local print shop which does large scale printing and all kinds to see if they could give me some pointers on processes, etc. The guy I talked with was very helpful and gave me lots of useful info on printing. I took a VOTC Farmboy Luke card with me to show them what I was doing, etc. I learned lots of neat things about digital printing and its limits and how Hasbro makes there cards(a general idea anyways) with plates and dies and such for material which is that thick. He used a little tool and measured its thickness and it was .21 or .29(?). I cant remember for sure. For now here are some cards...hope you like 'em!

First is Admiral Motti...I considered flipping the image but liked it as is but I may try it...

I love this Obi-Wan...its sweet.

I like this image of Han but I may use one with him in more of an action pose....

I really like this image of General Dodonna.

And this one of Trinto Duaba is prolly one of my fave ones I have done so far from any of the movies. I got the image from Wookieepedia and its resolution and everything was perfect...very happy with this one. I kinda did it by accident but it worked perfectly. I didnt think its resolution would be good enough but it works very well.

I have more I will post within the next day or so...thanks for looking!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
Cobra_UK
post Oct 28 2009, 06:02 AM
Post #16

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,926

Hi Tommy,

Wow you have been a busy guy, im not going to criticise any of your cards as im not a critic, they all look great to me and if your happy with them then thats all that counts, great work and posts and it is a great hobby smile.gif

Well done mate.

Rob

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Oct 31 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #17

Customizing Padawan

Thanks Rob! Yeah it is an awesome hobby. Lots and lots of fun and it can be challenging too which is nice.

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Oct 31 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #18

Customizing Padawan

Here's a few more I finished during the week. More to come very soon I hope....

Enjoy!

I updated some of these with newer scans of nameplates which I grabbed so most of these differ very slightly from what you see here...

I have some ideas for the backs so I hope to start on them soon. Each film will have several updated 'wave' backs just like the vintage line had. Seemed like another cool way to connect everything and have that vintage feel. I need to take lots of photos of figs and ships and vehicles and creatures, etc. so I can make them all....gonna be fun!

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
Glassman6
post Nov 2 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #19

Customizing Master

These are beautiful. Great picture choices.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Nov 4 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #20

Customizing Padawan

Thanks Glass cool.gif

I hope to start printing them very soon...after I decide which way I wanna do it. I have roughly 130 done of about 500 I wanna make...plus I want to restore the vintage line and re-card the vintage figs I have so....I'm gonna be busy for quite some time...lol.

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 09:25 AM || Skin by Metalaxe