> New Guy With Big Plans
sexxydrummerboy
post Jun 15 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #1

Customizing Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,281

Hey everyone,
I just recently came across FFURG and I was blown away so I had to join. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a 'vintage' style Darth Maul card and figure and figured I'd do a search and see if I could find something on how to make my own and I came across this site which I love.

I've spent hours now pouring over all of the info on the site and in the forums, especially the carding/packaging section. I've had Photoshop 7 for awhile now and just bought a 700 page book a few days ago so I can learn even more about it and get rolling. I have found alot of very valuable info on here and I am very excited about this.

I got thinking as I saw all of this info and the amazing work that everyone is doing and now I have big plans. First I wanna make my own vintage line with cards that I make and existing figures from episodes 1,2, and 3. I just did over a thousand screen captures from the dvds and I have been testing things on Photoshop. I always thought a retro set of prequel figures would be awesome. I made a list of about 140 figures I wanna do. I also want to restore and re-card the vintage figures that I have collected over the years.

My next step is deciding what printer type to use(as I need to buy a new one anyways, so this works out perfectly). I am also on the hunt for punches and corner rounders. I have checked out the info on here and now the hunt is on-hehe.

So in between looking for supplies and finding loose complete figures to purchase, I am going to be studying my Photoshop book and getting to know it all much better so I can make some awesome stuff and have alot of fun.

I wanted to post this and say hey and thanks for the info and inspiration. Its gonna be a blast!!! I would love to post pics when I get rolling. I wanna know what everyone thinks...good or bad. Thanks again, and good luck to everyone.

Tommy.

--------------------
Tommy.

"You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
savrip
post Jun 15 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #2

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Welcome to the group. I personally can't wait to see what you're going to come up with. I might suggest instead of doing your favorite figures first you estimate the difficulty and do the easiest ones first. That will help you get settled in and let you learn about any changes you'll do differently to the next. Each figure will be better than the one before so it's good your practice on your less coveted. If you've got a PS CS2 book then you'll be in better hands with learning the actual program than those of us who have just messed with it until we get what we're after. Good luck in your new adventure. Be sure to ask when you need some help.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
meandnooneelse
post Jun 15 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Building a custom figurenator!

Member No.: 2,106

I've seen a vintage style Darth Maul done somewhere before. It was very cool. They used a vintage Obi-Wan body, repainted black. Maybe that will give you a starting point on your figure. Good luck!

--------------------
Who died and made you Darth Vader?

Proud Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society!

My stomach was making the rumblies, that only hands would satisfy.

+Quote Post
captaincracker
post Jun 15 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #4

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,583

It's a great feeling when you've put a lot of work into a card and it comes out looking like you wanted it to. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck.

+Quote Post
GameSix
post Jun 15 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #5

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,778

Welcome!

That sounds like quite an undertaking! Can't wait to see how things develop!

From what I've gathered, selecting a printer is really a matter of personal preference. Laser or Inkjet -- quite honestly it depends on what you are most satisfied with. I've tried printing on both, and quite honestly some images come out better on one than they do on the other.

For a corner rounder, I picked one up in the Scrapbooking section at Wal-Mart a few months ago. It cost something like $4. I've been quite satisfied with the results. And if it breaks -- it's only another $4 to replace!

Once you get rolling with Photoshop and playing around with your images, you'll should have loads of fun doing this!!

Good luck!

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jun 15 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,281

Thanx for the welcome everyone.

I am very excited about getting started. I have a list I made of figures that I wanna card. Basically I wanna take existing prequel figures and card them on vintage style cards. Kinda like a retro feel for the new figures/movies. I have a huge collection so I have lots of doubles, triples, etc. There are some that I need to find on Ebay or anyone in general who may have some loose figures to sell. I have alot of loose ones to re-card. Most of my collection is action figures and most of them are still carded. I've always been attracted to the packaging and keeping the figs sealed on their cards, so then it hit me how cool it would be to have characters like Darth Maul, Qui-Gon, Jango Fett, Clone Troopers/Commanders, Lama Su and other Kaminoans, Sebulba, Watto, and a burnt Anakin on a vintage style card. Kinda in line with the new vintage collection that Hasbro has.

I would like to customize some of them also. That would be fun. Plus I cant wait to re-card my vintage figures that I have which were my brother's when he was little, plus other ones that I have collected over the years from various sources. Most of them are in perfect shape. Even ones that I remember playing with over and over are in remarkably nice condition.

I have always loved the vintage-style cardbacks the most. So when I started daydreaming, my mind exploded with other ideas. I'm hoping that the repro bubbles will fit them ok so I can glue them on the finished cards. It's gonna be a trial and error thing, but it will be a ton of fun...cant wait!!!

Thanx again for the welcome!!!!

--------------------
Tommy.

"You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 04:26 AM || Skin by Metalaxe