Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One of my first cards...what do you think?
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 9 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #1

Customizing Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,281

Hey everyone,
I have recently gotten serious about making all the cards I want and this is one of my first. I am still learning Photoshop and experimenting with things but I wanted to post a pic and see what everyone thinks. Feel free to comment and critique-good and bad. I have a long way to go as far as getting images exactly how I want them, etc. I've been trying things such as using layers and using the clone-stamp tool and other things. The image of R2 is a screen capture. I am also still learning everything about dpi and resolution and image sizes and all that good stuff.

I have over 400+ cards I want to make. The vintage style is by far my fave and I love the idea of having vintage-style prequel cards to go with the original trilogy. Like I said, let me know what you think and feel free to critique and comment. Just wanted to know how good of a start I have gotten. This is my first post with a pic so I apologize if the size isn't very good or whatever. Thanks everyone!

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

"You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
savrip
post Dec 9 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #2

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

That's a really great first attempt. The source image is the only thing I would suggest to try to find a better one. Screen captures are hard to get decent photos from. Maybe try some of the fan-released 720p copies of the Star Wars movies out. Also, I know it's obvious and you probably planned on doing it already, but the name plate needs the name of this little guy.

This image isn't all that great, but didn't have frame forward/reverse to help select the best frame. Here's a screenshot of one that will maybe help more. The biggest challenge I have with finding a source image is coming up with enough background that I don't have to do a lot of image creation. This one might work out okay, but tell me what you all think.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Dec 9 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #3

Customizing Master

Member No.: 792

I, too, think that this is a great first effort. One thing I struggle with for the custom cardbacks, is the proper color for the blister area and name plate. With the blue from the R2, it may be a bit too much blue. I may be wrong but it is hard to tell before the figure is carded.

A few more comments, if I may. First, I've never like 0000 as the reference number. It screams out "CUSTOM." I like my stuff to seem like it would fit in the universe actually produced. Maybe you could come up with a system for your customs that will accomodate all 400 you intend to make. That would rock! Second, I'm not really sold on the "Attack of the Clones" font. It might be the best choice with the "of the" part screwing up the alignment. However, since you intend to make an entire line using the template (I assume), now is the time to get it perfect, at least in my humble opinion. Finally, it needs some small text under the picture and racetrack to break up some of the black like a copyright or something.

This section is dying so it would be great if you stayed around and posted your progress! I haven't posted here in months but it is hard when most view without comment or say "great" without telling me how to make it better. [Can you tell I'm looking for motivation to start posting again smile.gif]

Thanks for sharing! Please come back soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 9 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Customizing Padawan

Thanks for the response guys!

This one is still a work in progress. I have a few ideas made for the AOTC logo. I also want a number system for the upper left corner since I have over 400 figures I want to do. Plus I couldn't decide how I wanted R2's name to be in the nameplate so I left it blank for now(I was to eager to post the pic-hehe).

Plus for the blister area I was thinking of some shade of red, almost maroon, for the color. I want things to blend well yet stand out at the same time. I've been making a lot of templates adjusting the blister-area size and making up different sized nameplates. I like those areas to fit the figure the best it can(figure size and name size) so they don't take up twice the amount of space as they need. Plus I like to have as much of the character's image showing as possible.

Thanks again for the ideas and comments and hit me back with more! I have a few more which I may post soon as well. I did a Moff Jerjerrod the other day which I really like so I will keep posting my progress.

Later and thanks again!!
-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Dec 10 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Customizing General

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (sexxydrummerboy @ Dec 9 2008, 05:30 AM) *

Hi Tommy,

Looks great. I'm a vintage aesthetic addict too, and prequel cards are on my to do list. To me that image looks good - are you at a high enough resolution for when you print it out? Kenner's shots often did 3/4 or full body shots, so ur pic really captures their look.

The one suggestion I'd give is the logo... it looks a little off to me. Why not try a Return of the Jedi style line break for the logo? Another thought, do you want to add the kenner logo to the front?

QUOTE (thehigherstandard @ Dec 9 2008, 04:55 PM) *
This section is dying so it would be great if you stayed around and posted your progress! I haven't posted here in months but it is hard when most view without comment or say "great" without telling me how to make it better. [Can you tell I'm looking for motivation to start posting again smile.gif]

Some of us have been posting... sometimes it's tough to comment when you guys make repro cards... without originals to look at I can't really say what does/ doesn't need to be changed. But please keep posting because I do love your work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Dec 11 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #6

Customizing Padawan

I was messing around(practicing) with Photoshop today and revamped the R2 card I made. I have a few things I may change but I wanted to post a new pic and see what everyone thinks. I added the Kenner logo and safety tag. I also came up with a simple number system for the upper left-corner. The first two numbers indicate the episode(01-Episode 1, 02-Episode 2, etc...) then the last three numbers indicate the sequence number for that episode. For example, this R2-D2 with booster rockets is Episode 2-figure number 6(I have a list made already which will most likely change), then it starts off with number 1 again for ROTS. That way I can plan out each line of figures in waves and come up with a design for the back of the card which will be sweet to do. I'm thinking about waves of tens with the first 10 being primary characters then 10-20 being secondary characters, and so on with rest being a general mix. That may change also since I am always getting new ideas but so far I like it.

I used a new image which I got from Savrip(many thanks!!!) and changed the nameplate/blister color. I couldn't decide on a color so I settled for orange. I had a red/rose colored tint but I wasn't sure if it was to much because it looked a lot like some of the reddish you see on R2's body. The AOTC logo is another design I made the other day so that may change as well. This is a work in progress until I make some decisions about a few things such as logos and such.

So, I am still experimenting with things and I welcome any comments and feedback anyone has. I want to make sure I have a good foundation to start on since I have so many I want to make.

Thanks again and here's another pic...

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
savrip
post Dec 11 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #7

Co-Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Looks great. I like the color change for the name plate. When I work on a card often I go to the source images with the eye-dropper tool and just hold down the mouse and see what colors look good from the source images to use as a background color for the figure area. That's the easy way to match colors and you know it comes right out of the source image.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Tim (Savrip) Hopkins
FFURG.com | KSWCC.com | Savrip.com | WANTED List | Facebook | Twitter

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Jan 28 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #8

Customizing Padawan

Hey everyone,
I wanted to start posting some things finally. I got sidetracked for awhile so I wanna get back at it. Here is a 'New Hope' logo I made for my vintage carding project. Lemme know what you think. I have another one which is similar to this one. Give me any feedback you would like. This is just an example for the logo so everything else is still unfinished but I wanna know what you all think!!! Thanks!!

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Feb 2 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #9

Customizing Padawan

Hey everyone,
Here's a General Grievous I made last month. I still have some tweaking to do but wanted to get some critiques for it so far. Any suggestions? Also, can someone tell me what font is the best for the number in the upper left corner? I swear I had it but can't remember now. Thanks!! I should have more soon if you would like to see...

Tommy

By sexxydrummerboy at 2009-02-01

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post
Cobra_UK
post Feb 2 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #10

Customizing Padawan

Member No.: 2,926

Nice job Tommy, sorry i cant offer advice on the font/s as i am new to this myself

--------------------
Looking to trade card scans - Have Polish / Mexican / SA available, Looking for Tri-Logo / Meccano / etc

+Quote Post
sexxydrummerboy
post Feb 4 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #11

Customizing Padawan

Hello hello,
I wanted to post a few more cardbacks I made. I made them from some hi-res screen caps I found online awhile back. I'm still getting acquainted with Photoshop so these are mainly for practice but I may end up keeping them for the 400+ collection I want to do. I am waiting for the hi-def versions of all 6 films to finish downloading before I can get screen caps and start making them in order starting with TPM. Here's a few...let me know what you think...I love comments and opinions and critiques so fire away! cool.gif

Here is a Moff Jerjerrod I made. One of the first ones I did a few months ago. I like it alot but I merged all the layers before adding some finishing touches so I have a few things I would like to change.

By sexxydrummerboy at 2009-02-04

Next is a Clone Youth I made the other day. I used the clone stamp tool a lot near the top and tried making some sort of pattern to make it look like something to fill in the empty space. I have a long ways to go as far as learning Photoshop. I also want to change the AOTC logo and make it look more custom instead of just using a font.

And here is a Stormtrooper I made. I like the ANH logo area. It's simple and works for me. I wanted to incorporate 'A New Hope' onto my cardbacks because it seems like the title doesn't get the attention it deserves like the other titles do(just my opinion).

These are just some test runs but I'm happy with the results. I will be cranking them out more readily once I have the hi-def versions downloaded for sharp screen caps. Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome! Thanks again!!!

-Tommy

--------------------
Tommy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 01:18 AM || Skin by Metalaxe