Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sand Diorama Question
Yodaman
post Sep 10 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,277

I just have a question for when you make dioramas in a sandy coughtatooinecough environment. If there's a crashed vehicle like a landspeeder or something in the sand would it help aid the crash site if the sand around the downed vehicle is painted black or something to look like burn damage or would it be best left untouched?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Sep 10 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

depends how old the crash site was. I'd figure a few days and wind-blown sand would cover the site with a light layer of new sand. Also, I've heard of sand melting into glass when exposed to a very hot fire so that'd be something to consider.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
clonecommander97...
post Sep 15 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Customizing High Council

Member No.: 2,086

Also, I've heard of sand melting into glass when exposed to a very hot fire so that'd be something to consider

finally! someone noticed this! this is one thing i have never heard/seen in any books, comics or games. it's nice that someone finally remembered this

--------------------
..._..."..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = = = ♥
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//__

click it. i dare you

+Quote Post
Jesse James
post Jan 17 2008, 05:23 AM
Post #4

Customizing High Council

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

It takes a bit to turn sand to glass, so personally I dont' think you'd see it with a simple "damanged" craft...

I agree with Del too that the time-frame plays a part in how you want it to look, but also the location. Is it the "Dune Sea" type setting where it's nothing but hill after hill of fine grain sand? Or is it like Beggar's Canyon where it's more compacted dirt than drifting sands?

I think some black doesn't hurt if there's been an explosion at that point... It's morbid, but consider looking at combat photos of our current campaigns in Iraq or Afghanistan, or past desert conflicts... North Africa campaigns in World War 2 will give you lots of photos with details you want.

A completely burned out vehicle usually does leave a "ring" of black sands around it... Another example of "realism" in this context was in the movie "Jarhead" (based on the first Iraq War), and soldiers walking a heavily bombed zone turn the black sand to tan as they walk through it disturbing the burned spots...

I'd say a speeder with any speed to it when it was "shot down" would've impacted, leaving itself in a small crater-like effect. Likewise, I believe if it was a particularly violent explosion of the craft in all directions, and an engulfing fire of it, that it would've left the sand black around the vehicle.

If it's sat there for a year, it's almost guaranteed that it would've been covered with time, at least in part, and certainly the "burnt" sand would've been.

--------------------
Jedi Defender.com & FFURG Representative

Fleet Trooper Sucks So Bad, I May Make a New One!

+Quote Post
IncomT65
post Apr 23 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,620

QUOTE (Delaton @ Sep 11 2007, 02:13 AM) *
Also, I've heard of sand melting into glass when exposed to a very hot fire so that'd be something to consider.

I googled that and it appears sand has a melting point of 1,723C (3,133F), so I don't think you need to worry about adding pieces of glass to your dio.

The Jarhead scene Jesse James refers to, is great for reference, though.

But if you just want to make a crashed speeder/fighter/star destroyer/ death star tongue.gif , I'd focus on how the sand around the crashed vehicle looks.

I'm building my first dio myself and it's got a downed TIE fighter as centerpiece. The pilot, an Imperial veteran, survived and limps away to hide from the Rebel search patrols, which will arrive all too soon. So, I don't think I'll apply heavy burn damage, but focus on the scenerey and layout of the sand.

Luckily, I have a little girl who's got a beaufiful sandbox, so I can crash my TIE Fighter plenty of times in it, to see what the effect on the sand has biggrin.gif

--------------------
So be it, Jedi.

+Quote Post
fettsplace
post May 5 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Customizing General

Member No.: 280

if somehow it were possible, maybe from combined impact force + heat it would probably be more like slag and wouldn't resemble actual glass. besides I don't think pure sand by itself makes glass as we know it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 04:42 AM || Skin by Metalaxe