Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NJO Dark Jaina- WIP pics coming soon!
AdamSolo
post Jan 23 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Customizing Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I was looking through the Japanese NJO book covers and I saw the Jaina from Destiny's Way and thought it would make an awesome custom.

Here is the source pic and my work so far:

As of now the parts I am planning on using are:
Head: Padmé Pilot with sculpted hair and neck
Torso and Legs: Queen Amidola Naboo with sculpted belt (undecided on if I should use those legs or not)
Arms: Droid Factory Chase Padmé's arms with arm bands sanded off

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BobaFett2250
post Jan 23 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 504

Coool...

Hope she's uh... nice lookin'... whistling.gif hehe..

--------------------
WiLdBiLlCoDy2001: Every boy should have a rifle.

+Quote Post
Y-WingJager
post Jan 23 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 530

For the waist down, I'd use the Leia POTJ General fig. as a matter of fact all you would have to do is sand off all of the rank & pockets off that fig. Then a arm swap( Factory chace Padme', like you suggested.) And if you could find a GI Joe Baroness w/o glasses and use it for a head (the newer 3 pack w/ Baroness, the glasses come off, or look on the bay for a loose one.

+Quote Post
AdamSolo
post Jan 23 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Customizing Knight

QUOTE (Y-WingJager @ Jan 23 2005, 02:29 PM)
For the waist down, I'd use the Leia POTJ General fig. as a matter of fact all you would have to do is sand off all of the rank & pockets off that fig. Then a arm swap( Factory chace Padme', like you suggested.) And if you could find a GI Joe Baroness w/o glasses and use it for a head (the newer 3 pack w/ Baroness, the glasses come off, or look on the bay for a loose one.

The thing about using the Leia General body is that I hate her wide-legged stance. I like the Queen Amidola torso so much because it is almost perfect with the coller. The trick is to find some good legs that will fit together with the torso, the hole for the pelvis is larger then most other female figures so that is kind of tricky.

The Baroness head does look really good, but I am going to try out the Padmé Pilot idea. Her facial expression is a little more "angry". I'll have to remember that head incase I change my mind though smile.gif

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jan 23 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #5

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Y-WingJager @ Jan 23 2005, 02:29 PM)

Or ask me to "lend" you the head so you can cast it (or a lot of GI Joe things since I collect those too).....(Also, Ash has cast it, but you'd have to deal with him).

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jan 23 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Casts available upon request... biggrin.gif

Paul, is this the fig you were talking about Saturday night?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jan 23 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #7

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

No, I want to do about a year or two later, well after she's fully into her "Goddess" persona as well as overcame the Darkside....But I like the parts list....

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
AdamSolo
post Jan 25 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #8

Customizing Knight

I've updated with some pics, I am planning on sanding down the Luke legs so that they are more "feminine" and removing the arm bands. I gave the Padmé head a neck, now I need to figure out how to get a peg on there. unsure.gif

Here is a really bad mockup I made.. it should help you get a better idea of how the parts will look when they are black smile.gif

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jan 25 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #9

Surviving Admin Member

The key to any good custom is at least 4 figure's worth of parts! LOL! Nice work so far, can't wait to see it completed and hgh res.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jan 26 2005, 04:14 AM
Post #10

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Adam,

That's a pretty cool figure concept to make. You've selected a good set of parts to use, though as you've probably noticed, the head and torso combo will be hard to work with. The Pilot Padme torso would also work well here as with a bit of sanding you could get the desired look from the reference pic. My only other suggestion would be to chop off that pouch on the DFC Padme belt. I used the belt on my recent Mara Jade figure and it's quite unsightly if left on. A little sculpey over the area where you chopped it off should hide any marks you left. I look forward to seeing your finished custom, so keep us updated. smile.gif

Happy Customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
njocraig
post Feb 10 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 534

I love this idea you're going with, those Japanese covers have given me endless inspiration over the years. The legs look good, don't change a thing there, one thing I would do is cut the size of the belt in about half. It looks a little cumbersome being so large, it's one of the most common things to do when sculpting, making things oversized that is. It always helps me to have a reference piece beside me when sculpting, i.e. if I'm doing an alien head or something I always keep another figure beside me for size reference. The same goes with a belt, find another fig with one and keep it beside you.

I look forward to seeing her when she's done, it's actually inspiring me to going back and fix old NJO customs I did in the past, or to do a couple I never got around to. Since the end of the NJO, with school, work, marriage etc. I got out of customizing for a while, but being a movie year I'm getting bitten again.... smile.gif

Craig

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamSolo
post Feb 13 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #12

Customizing Knight

QUOTE (njocraig @ Feb 10 2005, 06:06 PM)
one thing I would do is cut the size of the belt in about half. It looks a little cumbersome being so large, it's one of the most common things to do when sculpting, making things oversized that is. It always helps me to have a reference piece beside me when sculpting, i.e. if I'm doing an alien head or something I always keep another figure beside me for size reference. The same goes with a belt, find another fig with one and keep it beside you.

njocraig.. so do you mean cut it so it's more form-fitting or cut it so that it is a thinner belt?

Sorry about the lack of updates, I really havn't felt like working on this figure (or any figure) for a while but hopefully that will change soon. smile.gif

+Quote Post
njocraig
post Feb 13 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #13

Hey bro, I meant both actually. I think the custom would be vastly improved if the thickness was trimmed both horizontally away from her pants, and vertically up and down. Perhaps the pouch could also be trimmed down a bit?

This Padme figure is a decent reference to work with, try and use another fig with a belt as reference when making accessories, it always helps me... smile.gif
Padme droid factory

Craig
mtfbwy

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamSolo
post Feb 13 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #14

Customizing Knight

That's the same Padmé I'm using! laugh.gif

The pouch is already off so now I just have to do those modifications you suggested. I'm having a hard time getting the EP1 torso to be compadible with the DFC Padmé's pelvic peg (lol) because of how big the hole is... I'm considering just gluing that all together and being done with it dry.gif

I may have to wait to sculpt the hair until I can get some Milliput.. this epoxy putty stuff is great but it dries so fast that it is hard to get any detail in there.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Feb 14 2005, 08:32 AM
Post #15

Surviving Admin Member

I'm having a hard time getting the EP1 torso to be compadible with the DFC Padmé's pelvic peg (lol) because of how big the hole is... I'm considering just gluing that all together and being done with it 

I had the same problem with my Wayland Rescue Leia, except it was the Padme torso to Han Commtech legs. I wound up glueing it. I find my self caring less about articulation in my customs and more about the overall look. These customs are not meant to be played with anyway, but displayed, so who cares if there's one or two less points of articulation?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
njocraig
post Feb 14 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #16

Try using Premo brand modelling clay, it's made by sculpey but is less brittle, and is easy to sculpt with. I've always used it and never had any problems. Good luck, it's a great idea you have going there. It's like the one NJO figure I've never done... smile.gif

Craig

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamSolo
post May 6 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #17

Customizing Knight

Well I had the bright idea to use the new Aayla as the base instead of using the other parts and I'm not happy with it dry.gif

Here is the torso partially painted:

The hair looks bad, she looks way out of preportion on the Aayla legs (which was my main motivation for using Aayla, the articulated legs are really cool) and everything just didn't go as well as I had hoped. I'm considering scraping the whole project. sad.gif

+Quote Post
timmymiller
post May 6 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #18

Timmy Miller

Member No.: 447

I wouldnt scrap it, just put it aside for a bit.. something will come up and it will come together.. at least thats how my 'bad' projects tend to go.

She looks good to me, i like the hair.

--------------------
TIMMY MILLER.

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post May 7 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #19

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

I agree with timmy, the new body looks like a good base. As for the hair, sculpting hair always takes time, and as the old saying goes, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. The hair actually doesn't look too bad, while it doesn't match your reference picture, it does look to flow nicely. Don't get discouraged, the idea is good and can definitely be done.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 08:50 AM || Skin by Metalaxe