Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FFURG Gets To Send Q&A To Hasbro, Post your questions here!
Delaton
post Jul 6 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Surviving Admin Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

That's right folks, through our contacts at other sites like Rebelscum and JediDefender, FFURG has always been on the edge of Hasbro recognition. I think we've finally made the leap. A few weeks ago, I asked Dan Curto to put in a good word for us with the big "H", asking us to be included in the recent Hasbro Q&A weekly promotion. This week, Hasbro accepted.

As a result, I'd like to use this thread for anyone in the FFORUMS to post any questions they might want answered by Hasbro. Keep in mind, however, that since we're a customizing website, I'd like to keep the topic somewhat related to our view as customizing. We're not going to forward questions on case breakdowns, figure availability, or rumor lists. Also, this thread is a suggestion box, not a running list. The FFURG staff will select the best three questions, in our eyes, and forward them onto Hasbro. If you question is not submitted, it's for a reason, so don't ask "why didn't you use my question?"

Now, without further ado, lets hear some good questions. Our deadline is every Friday morning, so I have time to compile and send the questions over.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 6 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Surviving Admin Member

I'd like to start the thread with the following questions:

- As customizers, we often get a pretty intimate look at a figure. Usually while swapping parts, we get to see how the figure was produced, why a certain joint was used for an arm or leg, and why a certain part was sculpted a certain way. One thing that's puzzled us in recent years is the use of much softer plastic in the limbs of the newer figures when compared to Episode I and POTF2 figures. Why did you change to the softer plastic, which we feel is less durable?

- When we see newly announced figures, there's occasionally a figure that appears to be mostly kitbashed from other molds. I use the first release of the Bespin Security Guard with the Carbon Chamber Playset for an example. Although the head was unique, the arms were CG Jedi Luke, the chest was an EP1 Darth Siduous, and the legs were Han Carbonite. We understand and appreciate the reuse of existing molds for new "kitbashed" figures but how often, if ever, does Hasbro look at customizing websites, like FFURG, for new ideas?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 6 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #3

Surviving Admin Member

Bump. I need questions for this week by tommorrow morning. After this week, we'll have more time to accumulate questions.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 7 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #4

Surviving Admin Member

Ok, due to no responses, and the fact that I'm spending one of the my last days of vacation playing golf this afternoon, I need to send this over to Hasbro. Continue to think up questions and post them here for next week.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
thehigherstandar...
post Jul 7 2006, 06:58 AM
Post #5

Customizing Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 792

Sorry, Del. I really don't have any appropriate questions. However, I think it's awesome Hasbro is starting to take note of websites like this and for that you are to be congradulated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 9 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Surviving Admin Member

Ok, this is week one's submission:
1. As customizers, we often get a pretty intimate look at a figure. Usually while swapping parts, we get to see how the figure was produced, why a certain joint was used for an arm or leg, and why a certain part was sculpted a certain way. One thing that's puzzled us in recent years is the use of much softer plastic in the limbs of the newer figures when compared to Episode I and POTF2 figures. Why did you change to the softer plastic, which we feel is less durable?

2. We understand and appreciate the reuse of existing molds for new "kitbashed" figures but how often, if ever, does Hasbro look at customizing websites, like FFURG, for new ideas on how to re-use existing parts for new figures?

3. In customizing, we often use the term "head swap" when a custom consists of simply changing one head for another.  One of the most common "head swaps" is a Rebel Pilot custom, which can turn a VTSC Luke or SAGA Dutch Vander into the rest of Rogue Squadron.  Would you ever consider producing a group of Rebel Pilots using the same figure base, possibly as a retailer exclusive, with new unique heads and helmets?

We'll be creating a page on the main FFURG website for the Q&A archive each week.

Let's see what we, as a group, can come up with for week two, which will be answered at the same time as the above three.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 9 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Surviving Admin Member

I'm going to propose a few questions be considered for week two:

- We've now seen 5 unique EP3 Jedi Starfighter paint schemes, 4 Republic Gunship schemes, and even 3 EP2 Jedi Starfighter schemes. Given his fan popularity, why hasn't Wedge gotten his own Red-2 X-Wing repaint yet? The Red-5 version from TRU with a Wedge fig and his R2 unit could be a hit, even if it had to stay a limited run exclusive through StarWarsShop.com or Entertainment Earth?

- In the TSC line, why was Barada (#004) a simple re-issue with "added" paint apps and not a complete repaint so collectors could have a Kithaba figure with red pants and a tan shirt?

- Are the other three Republic Commandos going to be issued at some point or are customizers the only hope for a collecting community wanting to see the other three paint schemes?

Please, come up with some more questions and lets get our answers from the Big "H"!

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jul 9 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #8

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Great job Ash, things are looking good. Though you're stealing my thunder with the soft plastic questions. laugh.gif

Here's a question that's been bugging me since the Q&A sessions started...

* In previous Q&A sessions when asked why certain figures are re-released when superior figures are available, the answer has been that Hasbro utilizes the figure molds that are available to them at the time. What prevents Hasbro from making new molds from their existing figures, is it resources or finances? Certainly, the technology is available to make a new mold from say the 2004 "Vintage" Han Solo, so that figure can be re-released instead of the 8th incarnation of the 1999 Han Solo (as recently seen in TSC #31 with a new head).

* Has any thought been given to creating more realistic battle damage to vehicles and ships? Placing dents and holes in pre-existing parts of vehicles/ships would add to the lived-in, worn-down feel of George Lucas' universe. Getting an updated Battle Damaged TIE Fighter to round out the vintage TIEs would be great, wouldn't it?

I changed the color to blue so I can pick out the questions easier on the list from week to week.

This post has been edited by Delaton: Jul 10 2006, 06:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
TND
post Jul 10 2006, 08:06 AM
Post #9

Customizing General

Member No.: 153

whoa...this is a cool idea, del. I'm going to rack my brain to think of a few things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 14 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Surviving Admin Member

Week two submission:
1) In previous Q&A sessions when asked why certain figures are re-released when superior figures are available, the answer has been that Hasbro utilizes the figure molds that are available to them at the time. What prevents Hasbro from making new molds from their existing figures, is it resources or finances? Certainly, the technology is available to make a new mold from say the 2004 "Vintage" Han Solo, so that figure can be re-released instead of the 8th incarnation of the 1999 Han Solo (as recently seen in TSC #31 with a new head).

2) Has any thought been given to creating more realistic battle damage to vehicles and ships? Placing dents and holes in pre-existing parts of vehicles/ships would add to the lived-in, worn-down feel of George Lucas' universe. Getting an updated Battle Damaged TIE Fighter to round out the vintage TIEs would be great, wouldn't it?

3) - Are the other three Republic Commandos going to be issued at some point or are customizers the only hope for a collecting community wanting to see the other three paint schemes?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jul 14 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #11

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Well unfortunately due to time constraints with their preparation for Comic-Con, Hasbro did not accept our questions for this week and won't be answering Q&A's again for 2 weeks. Hopefully then we'll get our chance to shine with the Q&A.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 22 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #12

Surviving Admin Member

Well, it seems week 2, question #3 has been answered....and we have a AFFIRMATIVE!

Stay tuned for more Q&A results as my fellow Pawtucket-ians return from Comic Con and resume normal work schedules.

And keep thinking of more questions to ask Hasbro!

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Jul 22 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #13

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

Why no accessories with some figures, than 4 or 5 accessories unrelated to a fig in another?

With the removable helmet being the "rage" in upcoming figures and helmets, will the post and ball joint become the standard for non-removable figures with hats, hair and alien features while the peg joint is the standard for the helmeted?

What are the chances of taking an alien like a Gotal, where the sculpt exists, or Mon Calamari, Quarren etc, and adapting them to wearing helmets and uniforms primarily to see the multispecies diversity that supposedly existed in the Rebel Alliance?

With EU figs, what are the chance of seeing custom kit bashed figures of favorite aliens from the X-wing series?

Imperial Conference (check), Geonosis War Room (check), Senate Pod (begrudging check), what, no REBEL Death Star Countdown with Gen Dodana, Willard Varden, and the other commanders at Yavin and no Rebel Holobriefing aboard Home One?

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 26 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Surviving Admin Member

Week 6, a.k.a. FFURG Week 1, answers are up on the main page here:
Main Hasbro Q&A Page

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jul 26 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #15

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Awesome job Ash!

And yes Hasbro we meant less durable!!!!

And wait a second... a Rogue Squadron member did make the top 25 list of the Fan Choice poll, his name was CORRAN HORN!!. Sheesh....

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommanderKorbra
post Jul 27 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,665

I disagree entirely with changing to the very hard plastic again. With the very hard plastic, No matter how long you boil, the parts never seem to get soft... angry.gif

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jul 27 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #17

FFURG Man-At-Arms

QUOTE (CommanderKorbra @ Jul 27 2006, 03:12 PM)
I disagree entirely with changing to the very hard plastic again. With the very hard plastic, No matter how long you boil, the parts never seem to get soft...  angry.gif

Softer plastic does make it easier for us to boil and pop parts off, but they can also make for poorly constructed toys overall and personally that's not something I'd want to use in my customs. But the concern really is about the soft plastic that they use for weapons and limbs which cause each to warp. Take a look at every Battle Droid since 2001, they all suffer from the same fate. I don't think I have a single BD since then that hasn't twisted itself up in some manner. If Hasbro could just fix that, it would make for a far better figure and I'd be more than willing to buy tons of Battle Droids. Sigh, silly Hasbro in efforts to cut costs, they're losing tons of potential profit....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Jul 28 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #18

Surviving Admin Member

Okay, I'm sending the next three questions to Hasbro. Not sure if they got our second two questions so these new three could be answered in 2 weeks. Thanks to Paul Barnard for two of the questions this week (although I reworded them)

1.  With the pending release of the awesome Imperial Conference multipack, could we expect a companion ANH Rebel Briefing multipack including General Dodonna, Willard Varden, Leia, & C3PO with the Holotable?

2.  Along the same line as above, what about a ROJ Rebel Briefing with SAGA General Madine, Mon Mothma (new using the ROTS sculpt), (retooled) Admiral Ackbar, and SAGA General Calrissian with a hologram Death Star II?

3.  In the TSC line, why was Barada (#004) a simple re-issue with "added" paint apps and not a complete repaint so collectors could have a Kithaba figure with red pants and a tan shirt?

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

Email:
Websites:
Forums:

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Jul 28 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #19

FFURG Man-At-Arms

We're already delving into the "can we get this and that?" questions? Bummer...

I would re-word the last question to remove the name of the character and put a more general "vintage Barada" style figure. I wouldn't expect the Hasbro team to necessarily know the name of the character, but they should know what you mean by referencing the vintage Kenner figure. Just my two cents....

--------------------

+Quote Post
captaincracker
post Jul 28 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #20

Customizing Knight

Member No.: 1,583

What about the chances of seeing some new storm/clonetrooper battlepacks or army builder sets with multiple accessories? Something along the lines of the extras that the evolution sets came with, but maybe a little more so. I'm sure both kids and collectors (especially customizers) would love to have a set of 4 or 5 plain troopers that they could accessorize as they would like to make their own individual troopers. Maybe add a few different helmets, belts/skirts, shoulder pads, guns...you get the idea.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 12:43 PM || Skin by Metalaxe