Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thrawn Trilogy Wip Jade, Karrde, Calrissian
tykrazen
post Apr 10 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #1

Customizing General

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

I was bit by the custom bug tonight. No paint yet, but all the parts are together...

The WIP from left to right:

Lando Calrissian (Wayland Assault)
Talon Karrde (Wayland Assault)
Mara Jade (Wayland Assault)

Lando:

Head: Saga Lando Jabba's Palace
Torso: Saga Captain Antilles
Left Arm: Saga Cap Antilles Right Arm
Right Arm: Saga Cap Antilles Left Arm
Left Hand: Saga Cap Antilles
Right Hand: Saga2 Han Solo in Carbonite
Pelvis: Saga Captain Antilles
Legs: POTJ Bespin Capture Han Solo

Talon Karrde:
Head: GI JOE Spirit Iron Knife Comic 3 pack
Torso: SAGA2 Han Solo in Carbonite
Jacket: GI JOE Covergirl Comic 3 pack
Arms: GI JOE Covergirl Comic 3 pack
Legs: Saga 2 Han Solo in Carbonite

Mara Jade (inspired by Vynal Jawa at RS)
Head: GI JOE Covergirl comic 3 pack
Arms: Princess Leia (PLC Collection ANH)
Neck Post: Saga2 Boushh
Torso: Saga Padme Factory Chase
Skirt: Saga Padme Factory Chase
Pelvis and Upper Legs: Saga2 Boushh
Knee Pads: GI JOE VvV Wave 7 Snake Eyes
Lower Legs: ROTS #33 Clone Commander
Feet: ROTS Obi Wan Red Leader

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Apr 11 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Customizing General

I used RIT dye for the first time tonight to dye Mara & Talon Karrde. Interesting to note that the dye will not hold to superglue (see two streaks down Mara's chest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Apr 11 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #3

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Ty,

These are looking extremely impressive. I saw the Joe 3 pack the other day and thought how they would make some great fodder. Can't wait for someone *cough*Ash*cough* to cast these heads. The combo of parts is just excellent, though I might suggest maybe different arms for Karrde. While the Covergirl arms do look great, I'm pretty sure Talon's considered a bit more muscularly thick in the arms. Nonetheless this is great stuff, can't wait to see the finished customs.

Happy Customizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 12 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #4

My name is teacher, that is what I call myself

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (CorranHorn @ Apr 11 2006, 09:56 PM)
These are looking extremely impressive. I saw the Joe 3 pack the other day and thought how they would make some great fodder. Can't wait for someone *cough*Ash*cough* to cast these heads. The combo of parts is just excellent, though I might suggest maybe different arms for Karrde. While the Covergirl arms do look great, I'm pretty sure Talon's considered a bit more muscularly thick in the arms.

Me too, I want my originals back biggrin.gif

The thing is though, DH didn't do that well a job of capturing the likeness of Thrawn and Mara relative to book covers, video game images, and the like, so why shouldn't it is logical that they didn't do the best capturing Karrde's likeness; of all the smugglers in the EU, only Niles Ferrier and Booster Terrik were given descriptions of being larger and muscular. WotC drawings of him have him being average build and height, and short story art has been inconsistent at best. If anything, I applaud the parts, but see the Spirit Ironknife head as too dark (more appropriate for Quinlan Vos though). And I can always apreciate a good dye job. Glad some one else is bringing it to FFURG.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.
FFURG Forums Casting Call: Classic Trilogy in Clone Wars Style

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Apr 12 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #5

Customizing General

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Paul, consider me sold on dyeing where it is appropriate. It was very easy and no risk of paint chips.

If only there was a way to bleach figures, I'd be all set! LOL

As for the head being too dark -- it is. The Spirit head is actually cast in black with the face painted on by Hasbro. I am planning to paint over it (and the neck which is now grey from dyeing it) in a more appropriate flesh tone.

As for the covergirl arms, that was a conscious choice on my part. Although Dark Horse portrayed him muscular, my image of Karrde has always been a modest person. Think of Han Solo's shock when he heard Karrde is the big smuggling kingpin post-Jabba. His ability to seem non-threatening struck me as why he suceeded. I had looked at male arms for Karrde along that vein, but most were similarly proportioned. Since it is easier not to paint an arm joint, the Covergirl arms won out. That being said Jason, do you have an alternative suggestion what arms to use?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CorranHorn
post Apr 16 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #6

FFURG Man-At-Arms

Member No.: 3

Sorry Ty, I never got back to you about the arms. Your logic is certainly not flawed and the arms in that context could work out well. Any updated shots on the figureS?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Apr 17 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #7

Customizing General

Talon Karrde and Mara Jade are done -- I'm planning on taking pics tonight. Lando is 1/2 way painted. I'll also be adding WIP pics for Grand Admiral Thrawn, Noghri Commando, Death Squad Trooper, possibly 1 or 2 more if I feel the modifications are far enough along to share.

Another figure I plan on tackling is the wookiee Ralra, but I can't locate any reference images -- I don't own the Heir to the Empire comics he appears in. Can anyone help out with scans? The only thing Google turns up is Dan Curto's version which I think he made before the comic was released. Thanks to anyone who can help out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Apr 17 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #8

Customizing General

As promised smile.gif...

Talon Karrde is complete!

And with his number one...

Oh yeah, she's done too smile.gif

I've even made a Noghri Commando

The head is from the Chap Mei Beast Warriors line (think He-Man rip off)
The body is a Saga Teemto
The robe is a repaired vintage Jawa Robe
Bandolier is from the Saga 2 Boushh
Knife is a GI Joe Accessory

Finally in the Thrawn Collection, my not yet finished, but getting there Death Squad Trooper.

[img]http://www.thejawa.com/customs/tykrazen/dst1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.thejawa.com/customs/tykrazen/dst2.JPG[/img]

Head is a BBI soldier
Arms are from Saga/OTC General Madine
Torso Saga Admiral Ozzel
Legs Saga/ OTC TIE Pilot
Skirt Saga2 General Veers

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 17 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #9

The karrde looks really good. REALLY REALLY GOOD. Now if only this version could supplant DH's Thrawn trilogy atrocity that they try to pass off as Karrde (Union's version is good, possibly your inspiration?).

Mara's neck seems a bit thin. I mean I know lithe/dancer but she shouldn't seem like her head is floating a few inches above her shoulders.

The Noghri is one of the best attempts at facial features I've seen, and the Jawa robes, nice Last Command touch. However, skin color of steel-grey not green. Have you seen the Ultimate Alien Anthology or even the NJO SB reference pics? He seems a bit scrawny, like his muscles aren't quite strong enough. But over all, excellent choice in parts. I would've never tried a Teemto head or seen that coming in a 1000 generations wink.gif The Imp officer seems to have the same neck/head issues that Mara does.

Otherwise all paints, parts and accessories are as good as they can get. Excellent work.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook
Now, it seems that I have to remind DnJCustoms and Everyone else about the upcoming Casting Calls.

+Quote Post
VF/501
post Apr 18 2006, 02:02 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,569

Nice job on Karrde little or no flaws in your interpretation, just shave the back of the line jaw down to smooth out his
features a little.

I agree with Pbarny that Mara's neck is too long. Just shorten by a bout 1/8 inch. The other problem area is the knee pads. They stick out too much. I suggest that you take them off, then Shave down the clone ones until they are closer to the joint and then reattach the pads.

As for the noghri, try bacta luke arms. they fit teemento's body and are lithe but muscled enough to be believable. And go steel gray in color. Another option is the SAGA 06 bib fortuna forearms, they have decent articulation and the smoothness can be explained away as armor. Also the hands have thinner fingers and short claes that fit the image of the noghri more than over sized fingers. The knife that comes with the bib is cool to.

Alas you inspired me to make my own set of noghri. I think I'll use young anakin from EP I as the base, with the bib arms and the knife.

+Quote Post
timmymiller
post Apr 18 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #11

Timmy Miller

Member No.: 447

ty - nice update.

I think that Talon Karrde is my fave of the bunch. the head is a great choice and you did a nice job on the face/hear. The jacket is nicely done too. I think my only complaint on him would be that his neck might be a bit too long, and that his shirt is a bit messy. Did you have to sand down any features on that shirt - i would try to sculpt something overtop to hide the marks..

Mara looks cool too - i dont think the neck is too long, but it may not be thick enough for the head, its too bad because i like the combo.
for both Mara and the death squad guy - i dont like the use of the knee joints when they are put into upper legs that dont match... they just end up looking like they are wearing shorts with shin guards or something.. the look is a bit off. its not just your guys, but anytime the legs are mismatched with clone knees ( i think thats what they are.. ). The DS guy's neck seems long as well - the head is a bit too big, so if you chop the neck, it may look better.

anyways, enough nit picking, from the knees up, they are both pretty slick - cant wait to see the finished DS guy.

--------------------
TIMMY MILLER.

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Apr 19 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #12

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

I echo the comments everyone else has made on Mara's neck being too thin and Talon Kaarde's neck being too long. Both are easy fixes on otherwise excellent figures.

I'm intrigued on your Noghri custom as I have the same Dollar store figure disassembled for my version that has yet to be completed. How did you decide on the size of the Noghri? I've seen jawa-sized reference pics, as well as Ithorian-sized references, depending on which artist drew which novel from the Thrawn trilogy.

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 19 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #13

Ultimate Alien Anthology p114 states the "average" height of an adult Noghri is 1.3 meters tall. They are considered an adult at age 12, and "adolescent" by 9.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Apr 19 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Customizing General

Wow! Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I'll address a couple things that have been discovered/ worked on since the last post...

Someone over at JD pointed out my legs on the Imperial trooper were reversed (left on the right side and vice versa). I thought they looked funny, but I can't believe I missed why. When I went to do touch up work on the Trooper I also realized there was a big old king-on inside the head which was making it sit too high on the neck ball, so his head is in a much better position. Hopefully I'll have pics of the revised figure tomorrow when the paint is dry.

I'm still debating reworking Mara's Neck. The real problem is I cut the Covergirl neckpost too short and had to replace it with the Leia Boushh one -- which is why the neck looks freaky. I think the easiest solution will be to hollow the head out a tad more. I'm just hesitant to do it given the risk of further damage.

Paul, you're right the Noghri is too scrawny -- I was in denial about it. I'll be sculpting some more bulk onto the existing parts. Also the color was intended to be grey (and I though it was) until I look at the pics and see how green it does read. I'll be drybrushing a grey color once the sculpting work is done.

VF -- you have me considering scrapping the kneepads entirely and dyeing a new set of CT legs. I knid of butchered the pads originally and I was debating including them or not. Looks like it might have been a mistake.

Ash -- on the noghri height, I based it off of the DFR comics where the tops of the heads are stomach high. That height is what sold me on the Teemto body.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 19 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (tykrazen @ Apr 19 2006, 06:26 PM)
Wow! Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I'll address a couple things that have been discovered/ worked on since the last post...

The real problem is I cut the Covergirl neckpost too short and had to replace it with the Leia Boushh one -- which is why the neck looks freaky. I think the easiest ... head out a tad more. I'm just hesitant to do it given the risk of further damage.

Paul, you're right

Ash -- on the noghri height, I based it off of the DFR comics where the tops of the heads are stomach high. That height is what sold me on the Teemto body.

Nothing is ever finished, just always reworked and revised. Heard that from some film maker someplace wink.gif

Mara, freaky, wait, drool.gif not that kind...

Love those words. don't hear them enough (it's exam time for me)

That's about 1.3 meters give or take .1m. So it's about right.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post Apr 20 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #16

Customizing General

[singing] Super freak, super freak, she's superfreakin' OUT! [/singing]
biggrin.gif

I think I'll be doing a lot of revisions on these before I consider this batch done. In fact, here are my latest updates on the project...

I did some clean-up work on the Death Squad Trooper including putting the legs on the right sides (how stupid am I?) and cleaning the inside of the head a bit better so that it seats properly on the body.

Plus here's my next WIP for the project: Grand Admiral Thrawn. The head is a GI Joe Comic 3 Pack General Arbernathy, the arms, torso and skirt are from a Saga Admiral Ozzel and the legs are from a Saga 2 General Veers.

And for fun here's a group shot of all my Thrawn Trilogy pieces in their various states of complettion -- can you guess which characters the two heads are for smile.gif?

--------------------

+Quote Post
pbarny
post Apr 20 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #17

Since you're revising, I'll just say this about Thrawn...he looks like he's got gas/indegestion with the Hawk head. Never noticed that before, suppose the Cobra Commander can do that to you...

Plus the usual problems when converting non post heads to ones with ball joints.

--------------------
Paul
My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

+Quote Post
Mitsukara
post Apr 20 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,457

Wow! That's some pretty good work- I especially like Karrde, Mara, and Lando.

I've customized very little, so please don't put too much stock in my critiquing, but something seems a little odd about Thrawn's head. The paint seems a little too dark (his skin is kind of a pale baby blue I think), and for some reason he also looks kind of dirty. Otherwise he looks like he's going pretty good, though.

One suggestion, you might sand down his hair or something, on the top/back of his head- the style is close but it's a little too square-cut military commandoish, or '80s MC Hammerish.

Also, not really a suggestion so much as a question- you seem to be going largely on comic book portrayals (I'm pretty sure Karrde's outfit is based on The Last Command, right?), so are you planning to give Thrawn some kind of epilets/whatever those gold frilly marching band-type shoulder pads are called? I've been trying to figure out how to make some for my POTF EU Thrawn out of this braided material stuff- I forget what it's called exactly, it's pretty small and comes kind of roped over itself in these papers with black with gold on them, and the logo on it says DMC and has a horse head- but haven't yet succeeded. I really want to add these because the novels directly mention them and they're seen in most representations of Grand Admiral uniforms, and I think they really kind of add something to the uniform.

Another thing I've considered doing to my Thrawn- close attention to the early pages of Heir to the Empire tells you that Thrawn has "blue-black" hair that glints in the right lighting. I've considered mixing flat black with a small amount of metallic blue and painting Thrawn's hair that color. The comic books and most representations don't really show that, but there is one pretty cool picture of Thrawn floating around, and I think maybe the Trading Card photos showed it as well, where you can see a blue tinge to his hair.

I wish I had one of those covergirl heads for a Mara, too- I've got a 2004 Scarlett I found in Toys R Us that I'm going to use for a Mara custom, but the covergirl head is quite awesome too, and actually much better for a Thrawn Trilogy-era Mara.

I really like how your figures are going, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them smile.gif It's also cool to see someone else doing customs of these characters right now- I hope to make my own figures of most of these eventually (probably not a Death Squad trooper, though, and I'm not sure about Noghri), though I suspect they'll have less articulation than yours do simply because I'm scared of chopping up figures and gluing them back together differently too much >> I really want to see a Thrawn with bending knees and a chair one day, though...

--------------------
Leaving for now. Thanks to everyone who helped in various ways with my customizing efforts!

+Quote Post
Delaton
post Apr 21 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #19

Surviving Admin Member

Member No.: 5

For those who are looking for the Covergirl head, I will be casting one that Pbarny sent me last month once I return from vacation tommorrow. Say tuned to the trades list for my updated casting list.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled custom critique thread.....

--------------------
Ashley
a.k.a. Delaton

FFURG.com Admin @ YakStreet Member

Email:
delaton@customizerscookbook.com
Websites:
Customizer's Cookbook or FFURG
Forums:
Yakface Forums or FFURG FForums

+Quote Post
tykrazen
post May 21 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #20

Customizing General

QUOTE (Mitsukara @ Apr 20 2006, 09:08 PM)
little odd about Thrawn's head. The paint seems a little too dark (his skin is kind of a pale baby blue I think), and for some reason he also looks kind of dirty.

So are you planning to give Thrawn some kind of epilets/whatever those gold frilly marching band-type shoulder pads are called? I hope to make my own figures of most of these eventually (probably not a Death Squad trooper, though, and I'm not sure about Noghri), though I suspect they'll have less articulation than yours do simply because I'm scared of chopping up figures and gluing them back together differently too much >> I really want to see a Thrawn with bending knees and a chair one day, though...

All comments are welcome, so don't feel that because you are just starting out, that your comments aren't valuable.

There were several problems with Thrawn, some of which I've started addressing -- one was that his head was seated too high -- I re-dremmmeled and now, that, I believe is fixed. You're also right that the blue color was off -- I added a new coat tonight that should striaghten that out. I am not planning on doing the shoulder things -- I wouldn't want to sculpt them and I think any soft good application would look funky. So I'm opting for no pads.

As for the articluation, it's all about parts selection. With the excpetion of my Leia figure, the only real mods to the parts has been dremeling out heads for ball joints. I haven't done any splicing, so it is possible to make it work.

Wait. I mentioned the Leia figure above and you're thinking -- there's no Leia figure smile.gif. There is now... 11 of the 12 figures for this set are getting closer to done -- here's a couple teaser pics of where I am.

Front Row:
Luke Skywalker Wayland Final Duel
Ralrra Kashyyk Guard
Noghri Warrior Kashyyk Assault
Clone Stormtrooper (with Removable Helmet)
Leia Organa Solo Kashyyk Assault
Luuke Skywalker (Wayland Duel)

Back Row:
Mara Jade Wayland Final Duel
Death Squad Commander
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Talon Karrde Wayland Assault
Lando Calrissian Wayland Assault

Not Pictured (because not really started yet): Joruus C'boath

The concept behind this is what would a Thrawn Collection look like if Hasbro decided to realease one. Figures were chosen based on playability as well as recognition. Some figures were planned and dropped as I worked through the ideas. Some that made it as far as parts selection included Han Solo - Wayland Assault, Captain Palleon, Garm Bel Iblis, General Covell.

Most of these still have some work to be done on them, so more detailed pics will surface as I finish them up.

As always, I love suggestion for improvement.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 04:47 AM || Skin by Metalaxe